AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

10 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

hahaha :D;) honestly when you get your head around the first 3 the rest are ok, i dont think ill be using spirit hosts now, the battletome has other options.

There is a pack called Tormented Spirits. 5 black knights/hexwraiths, 3 spirits hosts and 1 cairn wraith. Cheaper to buy that pack than to buy hexwraiths and spirit hosts individually. And I kinda want Spirit Hosts as an option, although the pack is mostly used for the Hexwraiths.. and perhaps a little bit for the Cairn Wraiths that I can convert into Chainghasts or reapers (and convert two reapers into chainghasts).
The Spirit hosts just look bad ass, so they will look cool as a model amongst the army.

edit: Is there a way to delete your posts? Accidentally made a double post..

Edited by Nuradin

2 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

There is a pack called Tormented Spirits. 5 black knights/hexwraiths, 3 spirits hosts and 1 cairn wraith. Cheaper to buy that pack than to buy hexwraiths and spirit hosts individually. And I kinda want Spirit Hosts as an option, although the pack is mostly used for the Hexwraiths.. and perhaps a little bit for the Cairn Wraiths that I can convert into Chainghasts or reapers (and convert two reapers into chainghasts).
The Spirit hosts just look bad ass, so they will look cool as a model amongst the army.

edit: Is there a way to delete your posts? Accidentally made a double post..

i dont think so, you screwed up ;) nagash will get you for your mistake! 

Yeah they look ace, i painted mine to be shadow beings. Fluff behind my NH is that they were once a kingdom of men who were oath bound to protect there sister kingdoms, and when chaos came to bring ruin to these peaceful lands, the men of Ekrund didnt join the fight and instead fled back to there own castleforts. So with the dying breaths of the other kings and queens of the other empires they abandoned they were cursed with undeath.

So they dont belong to Nagash, and they dont serve death. They are a race of spiteful wraiths who seek vengeance on the last descendants of the bloodlines of royalty that cursed them to this living hell. 

8 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

i dont think so, you screwed up ;) nagash will get you for your mistake! 

Yeah they look ace, i painted mine to be shadow beings. Fluff behind my NH is that they were once a kingdom of men who were oath bound to protect there sister kingdoms, and when chaos came to bring ruin to these peaceful lands, the men of Ekrund didnt join the fight and instead fled back to there own castleforts. So with the dying breaths of the other kings and queens of the other empires they abandoned they were cursed with undeath.

So they dont belong to Nagash, and they dont serve death. They are a race of spiteful wraiths who seek vengeance on the last descendants of the bloodlines of royalty that cursed them to this living hell. 

Did you rip that off from Lord of the Rings? ;)

Btw, my soul is so tainted that Nagash would spit me back out again! I would do more harm to the living world as a living person than as a dead person!

Edited by Nuradin

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Yeah 2 units of 20, ive preordered 30 Grimghasts, bought 8 SW Grimghast and the 1 SW lord executioner and when he comes out the clampack lord executioner. That makes 40 to make the 2 units i need for my battleline.

Is it allowed on this site to link bit sites? or is that against forum rules?

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

Did you rip that off from Lord of the Rings? ;)

Btw, my soul is so tainted that Nagash would spit me back out again! I would do more harm to the living world as a living person than as a dead person!

maybe, but dont tell nagash :( SAURON IS THE TRUE DARK LORD AND FIRST NECROMANCER! but ive added some elder scrolls into their fluff too, they worship sithis. They are all about the void and the emptiness it brings to them. And lady olyander will be the nightmother.  

They exist in the space between realms, cursed to feel no emotions, the warm of the stars, the comforts of a homestead and the ability to have trusting allies.

They exist in a state worse than death.

3 hours ago, Nevar said:

Well the cavalry Warscroll Battalion is minimum x2 units of Hexwraiths, 1-2 Dreadblade Harrows, and a Black Coach.  That warscroll bat gives you +1 Command Point, +1 Artifact, and unmodified 9+ charge attack out of sequence.

If I can take two of them, I would and use a Dreadblade Harrow, 2x5 Hexwraiths, and a Blackcoach twice.  That gives me x2 Dreadblades, x20 Hexwraiths, x2 Black Coaches, x3 Artifacts, +2 Command Points, 9+ unmod charges for extra attacks.  Then I would use mKoS with Pendant of the Fell Wind to give it all +3" speed.  That is a 15" standard move on your cavalry.  I would deploy all of that, and then place the Spirit Torment and Guardian of Souls in the underworld.  Maybe even some Chainghasts I dunno.

Then you fly up the board making charge attempts across the enemy line or seizing the midline objectives either way, and then summon up the Spirit Torment and GoS up into the front line where they will be in range.  This keeps them from having to keep up with the cavalry.

If I can't take more than one copy of the battalion I would just move all of that into one battalion and drop a Black Coach to replace it with something else.  Dreadblades can reportedly teleport around the board to seize objectives or be where you need them most.  mKoS giving more attacks to Hexwraiths is good when they do MW on 6s, but if I was in one Battalion I might buff up a unit of Hexwraiths to 10 man and keep two 5 man ones for the wings of the army.  This way the mKoS's +1 attack has more impact on 10 guys.

You could even throw Lady Olynder in or Bladegeists or the like since you have space in the underworld and they can teleport into the fight in range once your cavalry has locked down the board and setup the battle lines further up the field.

The idea is, the more table you control, the easier you can score objectives, especially with the Harrows who can teleport each turn to new locations and grab uncontested ones, or 5 man Hexwraiths can shoot off to side objectives from the main fight if you want.

According to someone in the Rules section you can absolutely use the same battalion twice in an army list. So you could run 2 Deathrider battalions if you wanted to.

For me it depends on what objective the reapers will have. Are they blobs to soak up enemy units or are they objective grabbers or a mix?
I always think 20 is a good number, especially since they can fly and have 8" move. With Pendant they have 11" move. With Chronomatic they have 13" (?) move. All this means that 20 reapers will be able to circle an enemy unit and get lots of attacks in.

Bladegheists are much more expensive, so running them in 20s might be a bit too expensive. However, this is kind of dependant on how you want to play. I guess there are pros and cons with 10s and 20s. Two 10s can threaten the board on more places with the free drop. 1 20 unit with a GoS or two will be really difficult to kill. However with a unit of 20 the enemy can focus all their fire on that particular unit. With two units of 10 you can force the player to spread out, leaving room for something else (like the reapers) to approach the enemy lines.

One should note though that I haven't played a single game and there are people that are much more knowledgable and better at the strategy aspect than me :D

Thinking a line of bladegheists and a mKoS + Torment front line moving foreward with 2 max  Spirit Host blobs + chainghasts, a second torment, and the Mortarch as an anchor. 

Gheists charge in, phase through and start chopping up support while Host blob mops up midfield. 2 torments and MoG should be plenty of heals to keep midfield  going, with perhaps a GoS deepstriking in to support gheists if they get too far in.  

Theoretically the chaingheists will keep the bladegheists buffed, help clear chaff and zap targets... mabe add some myrmourns following the gheists up the field to keep magic suppressed and mob casters

I think that I will add some of the new Nighthaunt units in my Legion of Nagash. I want to know if anyone have some combo that I can use with the units from the Soul Wars box? Any clue if we can  take more Nighthaunt units in a Legion of Nagash beside those from the starter box?

1 hour ago, pikachoux said:

I think that I will add some of the new Nighthaunt units in my Legion of Nagash. I want to know if anyone have some combo that I can use with the units from the Soul Wars box? Any clue if we can  take more Nighthaunt units in a Legion of Nagash beside those from the starter box?

You can bring anything via the allies rules.

Hey Guys. Whats the most effective and competetive 1000 points nighthaunt list?

something like this or am i completly wrong?

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Battleline

Units
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 64

Edited by Erdemo86

Here's what I'm looking at, if anyone has any suggestions it'd be much appreciated

Lady Olynder (General)

Kurdoss Valentian

KoS On Ethereal Steed 

KoS On Ethereal Steed 

Spirit Torment 

Guardian Of Souls

40 Chainrasp Hordes

6 Spirit Hosts

10 Grimghast Reapers

12 Myrmourn Banshees

Plus 2 command points and 30 points for an endless spell

Haven't thought about spells or items too much yet, but the idea is buffing those banshees up to get as many attacks as possible, plus 2 attacks from KoS and 1 from dispelling should allow them to shred a lot of things in one turn, but you also have alternative options for the attack buffs with the chainrasps and grimghast, plus plenty of summonable things to bring models back to (especially the spirit hosts with lady olynder).  I have a feeling that playing nighthaunt is going to require a finesse that is beyond me but we'll see ?

I have 2 lists I'm planning to do and would love some thoughts on them

2000 NightHaunt

3 Command points
3 drops

Battalions/Endless Spells
Shroudguard 110

The Condemned 150

Chainguard 120

Heros
Reikenor the Grimhailer 180

Spirit Torment 120

Guardian of Souls 140

Battleline
20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

Other
10 Bladegheist Revenants 180

10 Bladegheist Revenants 180

4 Chainghast 160

Army total 1980

and the second this one with my two favourite cursed couple

2000 NightHaunt

3 Command points
5 drops

Battalions
The Condemned 150

Chainguard 120

Heros
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 240

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King 220

Spirit Torment 120

Guardian of Souls 140

Battleline
20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

20 Chainrasp Hordes 160

Other
4 Chainghast 160

12 Mymourn Banshees 210

Army total 2000

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spears said:

As the bladegheists get the reroll hits just for being near torments or chainghasts, does this mean you dont need the torment at all to trigger this?

Correct, the warscroll states "wholey within 12" of the Chainghasts or the Spirit Torment, it does not say "when under the effects of a Spirit Torment" or anything like that.  Fluff wise it makes sense as both are wardens to the Bladegeists so they would be afraid of either or.