AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

I just want Wave of Terror to actually happen.

Me too. One interesting suggestion I have seen someone recommend is to change it to something along the lines of: 5+ fight first  in the combat phase, 8 or 9+ fight in charge phase (the current ability).

Or maybe even always fight first after charges but that may be too strong with the retreat and charge shenanigans

Edited by NoMaDhOoK

Imo. I sometimes find Wave of terror to be somewhat distracting due to being so unstable. I find I get so surprised when it happens that I feel almost obliged to follow up on it. Like yesterday I fought Seraphon. My original plan was to put some pressure on his right flank to slowly open his backfield thus making it hard for him to advance while I had alot of reapers and bladegheists waiting in the underworld for the right moment to strike or fall back if needed. However my wave of terror set off and it gave me a chance to get to his Slann if I went all in. 
so I scrapped the inital plan and went hard after the Slann. A bunch of out of luck rolls later the Slann flipped me off and teleported away laughing while I got shot, stampeed, poked and bitten to tiny bits of ectoplasmic faliure.

Sure better players than me would have controlled themselves and kept the eye on the ball, but not being able to plan after the Wave makes it useless and to me also distracting.

For Chainghasts to be packs of 10 either they would have to be extremely expensive (350 points, or if that was their max and had a discount, 310), or lose their Another Link in the Chain ability.

But, it would solve our non-existent shooting phase. A very close range one, but one nonetheless.

Edited by EnixLHQ

I once tried out a meme list with 28 chaingasts. It was a fun game and far from competitive, but their shooting was dangerous. 15” range is hard to screen for. 

I’d love it if they expanded nighthaunt shooting options a little with units like that, whipping around chains etc.

5 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Hmm. Had an odd thought. Would anyone here take Chainghasts if thry increased their unit size to say; 10?

Would be a hero-killer popping out of the Underworld, and fairly nasty to hordes if they didnt get countered to death

I actually got my hands on 6 of them but that was before I discovered the unit max is 4. I was hoping for them to be a sort of an artillery stopper, However every time I build a list I find it very difficult to find any room for them. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, Neck-Romantic said:

A bit lackluster; but with a little prep its a nasty ranged drop that butchers hordes on the charge

Let's not forget about the -2 rend... not much else in Nighthaunt get access to that, and this is one of the many minor (or not) weaknesses of our beloved faction. I had some success in the past by running (4) Chainghasts in conjunction with a Spirit Torment and Kurdoss: the entirety of this mojety (that works quite well in terms of From the Underworld they Come) has something with -2 rend, making for a sort of a heavy hitting phalanx to be deployed against tough heroes. - preferably your general, given Kurdoss' ability. However, the price investment to make this work is a hefty one (as it often happens to us, alas!)

3 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

I wouldn't imagine it will be long for Nighthaunt to get another update.  Nighthaunt has had a fairly steady stream of support and Lady Olyinder has been treated much better than most new characters in AOS.  Hopefully the next update addresses the various problems with the army.

I could legit see them getting and update this year. Right after Seraphon, IDK, DoK, and Nurgle. Alongside another Stormcast book. Time to really put everyone into a 2.0 book.

Its just so frustrating that it wouldnt take that much to give us a shot in the arm.

Chapter bonuses! Thats all!

Choose 1; army-wide frightful touch on 5's, or army-wide 6" pile in, or army-wide always strikes first on an 8" charge plus WoT on a 10", or entirely slain friendly units redploy from the underworld (lol)

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Its just so frustrating that it wouldnt take that much to give us a shot in the arm.

Chapter bonuses! Thats all!

Choose 1; army-wide frightful touch on 5's, or army-wide 6" pile in, or army-wide always strikes first on an 8" charge plus WoT on a 10", or entirely slain friendly units redploy from the underworld (lol)

Something like that would help, and could be done in White Dwarf. I like the idea I saw somewhere about tying the abilities to the realms as spirits from different realms may have different abilities.

But, it really wouldn't be enough. Nighthaunt are not only a bad army, but they're an army with an identity crisis.

Are they supposed to be a mobile glass cannon of an army with magic support? Welp, then why do they need to castle up with weak heroes in order to get their buffs? And why do they have trouble casting their spells? And why are their endless spells useless?

Are they supposed to be a typical death army that regenerates? Welp, as we all know, they're not too great at that.

Are they supposed to an endless horde of spirits that overwhelms the opponent? I hope not, but the models are too expensive points wise and an army like that really ought to have summoning.

Are they supposed to be just another Legion of Nagash? If so, the next battletome will probably be more Legion of Grief than Nighthaunt.

On top of that, there's obvious issues with some warscroll design. The warscrolls for our endless spells and Glaivewrath Stalkers just don't work. Reapers, Harridans, Bladegheists, Myrmourns, and Stalkers are far too redundant. Dreadblade Harrows come in boxes of 2... why?

So, all in all, the army really just needs a new battletome IMO that has a clear vision for the army.

Also, I hope Nighthaunt don't ever get a terrain piece - we're not an army that should have a terrain piece IMO. But being able to choose one terrain piece on the board before deployment to "haunt" would be cool.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Also, I hope Nighthaunt don't ever get a terrain piece - we're not an army that should have a terrain piece IMO. But being able to choose one terrain piece on the board before deployment to "haunt" would be cool.

Personally I think a terrain piece is the easiest way to help us out before a complete remake of our battletome. Faction terrain is nothing more than an addition to faction abilities and everything @Neck-Romantic for example suggested could be granted by that right now.

Furthermore, while I'm puzzled by every single Gloomspite fight taking place exclusively around their cave or Khorne's Bloodletters being such magnificent builders that they have their altar ready before anyone drew their blades, with Nighthaunt it would be much more believable. Having four ethereal structures emerging from thin air all over the battlefield makes sense in this world.

Too true for most of that.

I'd settle for a passive Ruler of the Spirit Hosts across all heroes.

Legion of Grief showed the world that a Legions-style healing mechanic beats battalions, artefacts, and spells in terms of competitiveness. So splitting the difference would pretty much fix it for me.

So just to stop the wishlisting for a bit, though I find this very interessting we (including myself) do tend to whine so much that even Lady Olynder would find us to depressing to hang with🤪

Anyway what single faction do you fellow ghostmasters dislike the most? And how so you deal with them?

At the moment I really find it hard to stop Fyreslayers and beside all of their super powers I find them totally boring to look at. So hard is it to tell them apart that very often their heroes manage to sneak up on me before I realize they are hidding in plain sight. Very subjective opinion here I know and sorry in advance to any firemidget lovers out there😉

• Like 2

Our wishes are cyclical, which is good. It means we're always wanting the same things to be changed.

• More healing - We're ghosts and feel like we should be able to come back easier than we currently can.
  • More reach - We're ghosts, and so we feel like we should be able to leverage our etherealness in some way, like piling in more or swarming easier.
  • More terror - No one likes Wave of Terror as it is, but we acknowledge we live or die by it, so we want it in a more reliable state than a random low chance.
  • More magic - We have, at best, 50% cast chance spells that we seem to rely on when all of the above aren't in our favor, and when they aren't in our favor neither is our cast roll. We'd like something that makes casting feel more impactful, be it longer range, casting fail protection, or spells that could make up for our lack of raged attacks.

This may be wishful thinking, but if we can stay on message about our wants and needs then there is a chance that someone who needs to see this will see it, and maybe they'll listen.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

So just to stop the wishlisting for a bit, though I find this very interessting we (including myself) do tend to whine so much that even Lady Olynder would find us to depressing to hang with🤪

Anyway what single faction do you fellow ghostmasters dislike the most? And how so you deal with them?

At the moment I really find it hard to stop Fyreslayers and beside all of their super powers I find them totally boring to look at. So hard is it to tell them apart that very often their heroes manage to sneak up on me before I realize they are hidding in plain sight. Very subjective opinion here I know and sorry in advance to any firemidget lovers out there😉

I have to agree. We've sort of devolved into a whine thread instead of discussion.

At the moment I hate anything that brings massive ranged attacks, and that's mostly Cities of Sigmar. It's not great to stare at 60 long range attacks at 2+/2+. And I never liked armies that look like you rummaged around in your old D&D model bag and turned it inside out. I mean, I get they are factions of the left over cities and tribes that banded together, but if large part of your army could be represented by a junk drawer, I just want to kill it dead and move on.

45 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Good change of discussion.

I don't have a lot of experience playing different factions, but for me my toughest opponent  has been a Daughters of Khaine player. It didn't help that he was the best player that I've played against, but I came away from that game not having the slightest clue as to how I could have won.

I enjoy playing against Cities of Sigmar quite a bit, but multiple units of Phoenix Guard are another tough nut for me to crack. I haven't played Fyreslayers since the FAQ and fear they will now be more difficult to play against as I won't be able to focus on just one death star anymore (I've been running Death Stalkers which was a great battalion when facing one super unit of troops).