AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

7 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

https://aosshorts.com/forbidden-power-age-of-sigmar-supplement/

Apparently AoSshorts has mentioned that one of the spells previewed is actually a new terrain piece. 

Okay I had seen it all already was just unaware that the big shiny metal thingy was a scenery. However that piece has Stormcast written all over so badly Im pretty sure that if you look closely you will notice that someone has carved ‘Sigmar Was here’ into it. No way that ‘generic’ piece is coming near my ghosts.

so do you recon we have seen all contents of forbidden powers by now? The 5 spells and the sigmar snowglobe? To be honest that knocked over pillar doesn’t look like much of an endless spell either. I mean whats it gonna do, summon the powers of poorly build achitecture?

3 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

I reckon that they'll grant 2d6 mortals wounds to each DEATH unit within 24"

Also release a new box of stormcast into retail everytime someone manage to save against those MWs.

Naah im kidding I don’t even have anything against stormcast anymore. After 2.0 they got a bit of personality in their lore and sculpts as well. It also helped that shooting was nerfed and Death (anongst others) had a lot of upgrades and factions.  So I got off the ‘stormcast sucks’ train and burned my Sigmar is a lying b.... t-shirt and now I don’t even get frustrated that they get a new chapter everytime a chaos player sneezes.

See I have two sons and I trying to learn them that they do not get any presents on their brothers birthday.  Cause they should learn to appreciate what they get and when they get it and also respect that this day is not theirs but instead help celebrate their brother.

Surely they will both be stormcast players one day and I will know that I have failed😉

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

As far as the predictions and wishlisting goes; I just hope that 20% points drop is f'real... and that it includes the Mongrel- I mean Mourngul.

(Ooh; or give Mourn retreat-and-charge)

Same, I would love to see the moungul at around 250 points, though I'm not sure how likely it is to reach that. Rules wise I find the mourngul to be actually quite good, it has always performed well for me on the tabletop. But 300 points buys a lot of other options, and 10 wounds is very squishy at that price point.

Other than possibly reapers, are there any nighthaunt units that you could see increasing in cost?

Edited by Qrow

4 hours ago, Qrow said:

Other than possibly reapers, are there any nighthaunt units that you could see increasing in cost?

None really, but if I had to say my guess would be on Myrmourn Banshees going up to a 100pts. 

Maybe also the Dreadblade Harrow increased to 120pts. Though Squishy, that guy is my go to general very often.

But on that same topic. 

How much do you think the following should cost for you to consider them in your lists?

Glaiverwraith Stalkers?

Dreadscythe Harridans?

Lady Olynder?

The Craven King?

Knight of Shroud (on foot)?

Our Pointless Spells?*

*: Endless spells.

Edited by Greasygeek

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

How much do you think the following should cost for you to consider them in your lists?

Glaiverwraith Stalkers?

Dreadscythe Harridans?

Lady Olynder?

The Craven King?

Our Pointless Spells?*

Stalkers? No idea, honestly can't see myself using them at all. They seem... kinda pointless I guess? If I wanted a late game objective stealer I would take a min chainrasp unit, if I wanted a blender I would take reapers, etc. I think they plain need a rework because even taking points out of the equation something always does what they do better.

Harridans: as previously, keep point the same but make the -1 to hit work on 6 bravery or under, not less than 6. Makes them a solid light infantry hunter, but not great against elite units. Make them a unique unit that doesn't plain compete with reapers or revenants, because they will either lose that fight or become the flat out better option. Three units with the same role just become what is better for points, not what is better for the army composition.

Olynder: no idea, she is just too fragile for something that want to be near the frontline. As I have complained about before, the increase of point and click mortal wounds has put her and our other heroes in a difficult spot: I honestly think she is spot on for her point value, if mortal wound spam wasn't so prevalent.

Kurdoss: same problem as olynder, but I have never felt he is worth his points. So maybe... 180? He is slow, can't cast spells, has an unreliable ability to steal CP, is decent in combat but is still very fragile. Not sure, I have only ever proxied him a few times as I didn't wanna buy the model if I didn't like him, and I don't like him. Sad though , as the model is cool.

Foot shrouds: no idea, at all. I kinda feel like he isn't terrible, but is just overshadowed by our other options. Other people can do this one and Kurdoss way better than I can, I plain haven't used them enough to have a good opinion .

Spells need a rework more than they need a point reduction, they just don't do anything work taking them for. Just my opinion, but I feel they are never work taking over a generic endless spell.

Chainghasts: adding this on myself, 60 points for 2. 40 points per model for what they do is way too high, even 30 each is high, but I cant see them going any lower than 60

I think part of my issue personally, is that I compare many high point heroes to the skaventide verminlords, which are just incredible for their point costs.

Edited by Qrow

4 minutes ago, Qrow said:

I think part of my issue personally, is that I compare many high point heroes to the skaventide verminlords, which are just incredible for their point costs.

Skaven points are so janky. Literally make all points in all other books a head scratch moment 🤷‍♂️

Grims and rasps are properly pointed. Blades are maybe 10pts to expensive. Everything else needs a big drop. Heroes are odd because as mentioned the 260pts for verminlords set a precedent that would see Lady O easily go under 200pts. 

But tbh I'd rather not have to put more models on the table than I already do, it will only drag out already lengthy game times, I'd rather see rules tweaks than points drops. In my 40k group, after CA18 did points drops across the board for almost every unit, my local group changed from playing 2000pts to 1750pts games. 

Glaivewraiths retreat from combat but have 0 rend, blades are better and faster. They have 2" reach, grims are better and faster. Considering the horse skull I expected movement 10"+ and they'd need that or rend to be viable, even with points reductions. If cheaper then it would make me consider taking Death Stalkers again, which is a really good battalion but expensive to run with optimum unit size. 

As mentioned above, with so many units unaffected by harridans, blades are just a more solid choice every time. They need rules changes rather than points drops to be viable. 

Lady O is tricky because when she works she really works but when she doesn't she's so expensive and in the current meta/state of the game she just doesn't work consistently enough to be viable. When she casts reaping scythe on herself she is so good. 

I am currently already taking Kurdoss in my list. I resisted for a while but found that on average he steals 2CP a game, which is worth 100pts when list building, at worst he steals 1CP, so he actually only 170pts/120pts. He still needs a drop though, being over 200pts for a 7 wound non-wizard hero is rough. Especially as named characters who aren't wizards can't take objectives in hero/wizard focused missions. 

KoS on foot is a good option if we weren't hampered by 6 hero slots. If his warscroll was changed to +1 aura, similar to regular GoS I think he'd see more time on the table. 

No points drops could ever make the endless spells viable. Endless spells are already difficult to commit to for the fact that they can give your opponent the bonus just as easily as they can you, and they haven't had to pay the points for it. And our faction ones are just awful. Full rules re-write is needed. 

Honestly I've heard rumours of hefty points drops from many different sources and on various podcasts, so it does seem highly likely to happen but to what extent and by how much is pure guess work. But it's not points changes that are needed to help bridge the power creep, it's rules and warscroll updates. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

None really, but if I had to say my guess would be on Myrmourn Banshees going up to a 100pts. 

Maybe also the Dreadblade Harrow increased to 120pts. Though Squishy, that guy is my go to general very often.

But on that same topic. 

Glaiverwraith Stalkers?  Rework Needed

Dreadscythe Harridans? Extra bravery debuff?

Lady Olynder? 200 points or lower. Or increase wounds to 10+.

The Craven King? 160.

Knight of Shroud (on foot)? Needs something changed.

Our Pointless Spells?* Complete rework or make them free. Terminexus could be ok as is if opponent didn't ever get to choose what it does or how it moves like Khorne judgments. 

Aside from what I listed above, Mourngul should be 240 points or less. And I've been saying this since the nerf, he is not the rules boogeyman he once was. The game has caught up with, and surpassed him. Either give him back the unrendable 3+ and separate mortal wound protection on 4+ or drop him 60-100 points. Aside from that, drop him 20-40 points and take the brackets away. A fair compromise. 

Edited by SleeperAgent

57 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Aside from what I listed above, Mourngul should be 240 points or less. And I've been saying this since the nerf, he is not the rules boogeyman he once was. The game has caught up with, and surpassed him. Either give him back the unrendable 3+ and separate mortal wound protection on 4+ or drop him 60-100 points. Aside from that, drop him 20-40 points and take the brackets away. A fair compromise. 

Brackets? As in the damage table?

50 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Quick question, do the Lanterns on Guardian's count as artefacts?

Yes. The lanterns are artefacts, but ones that are specific to the GoS with nightmare lantern. I'm not sure that the GoS with mortality glass can even use them. SO if you can only have 1 artefact and you use one of the lantern ones, then that's all your artefacts used up.

1 minute ago, SleeperAgent said:

Yeah, as in don't make him weaker as he takes damage. 

4 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Yeah, old wispy hair degrades really quickly, like badly.

Completely agree, is there a hard rule that a model with 10+ rules must degrade? It seems to be like that in 40K.

I for a minute thought that you meant that unmodified 6s would cause 2 mortal wounds, and then continue on rolling to wound like normal, which would also be amazing. That exact ability is what makes Legion of Azgorh fireglaives so powerful.

5 minutes ago, Qrow said:

Completely agree, is there a hard rule that a model with 10+ rules must degrade? It seems to be like that in 40K.

I for a minute thought that you meant that unmodified 6s would cause 2 mortal wounds, and then continue on rolling to wound like normal, which would also be amazing. That exact ability is what makes Legion of Azgorh fireglaives so powerful.

They give him that and he can stay at 300 :)

27 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Yes. The lanterns are artefacts, but ones that are specific to the GoS with nightmare lantern. I'm not sure that the GoS with mortality glass can even use them. SO if you can only have 1 artefact and you use one of the lantern ones, then that's all your artefacts used up.

Much appreciated dude. 

• Like 1

Glavewraiths can stay at their point cost if they are made Battleline-if, otherwise they need a drastic drop to ever be considered.

That would either make them either the smallest battleline to save points for bigger baddies, or become cheap enough to flood the enemy's backline.

Glaives strike me as a very useful potential interference unit, bogging down the enemy's moving parts while the Bladegheists and Myrmourns cut things apart.

I would like to see Hexes points dropped slightly.

Agree on our endless being useless and overcosted. 

Edited by Neck-Romantic

I have  a list that I would love some thoughts and advice on before I take the splurge.  

It's a bit of a themed list around cavalry as you might notice :P<

Leaders

General - Dreadblade Harrow with ruler of the spirit hosts. 

Knight of shrouds, not sure on artefacts but maybe pendant of the fell wind or the extra damage sword?

Guardian of Souls with Wychlight lantern

Battleline

1x10 chainrasps

1x20 chainrasps

2x10 Hexwraiths

2x10 Grimghast reapers

And then The Black Coach and Deathriders Battalion.

1950 pts

The idea is probably to be fast, mobile and try and pick/control fights. my general can teleport units to where they need to be during game so he'll mostly try and hang around where he's safe until needed. I probably need more heroes but none of them really appeal to me that much and I'm scared to cut down on bodies to bring in more heroes xD

Edited by Mikeymajq

10 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

But on that same topic. 

Glaiverwraith Stalkers?

Dreadscythe Harridans?

Lady Olynder?

The Craven King?

Our Pointless Spells?*

I actually think Myrmourn Banshees will drop in price. 

I'd guess that Chainrasps, Spirit Hosts, Harrows, Spirit Torments, Reapers, Cairn Wraiths, Reikenor, and Bladegheists all stay the same. Reapers might go up to 180 for 10 so they match Bladegheists. 

Everything else I would expect to drop.

I think if Reikenor/Kurdoss/Olynder were 160/180/200 it would make some sense.

Stalkers need to be dropped to 40 for 4. Harridans 70 for 5 (same as Reapers now). Both KoS should drop 20 pts. Hexwraiths really need to drop to 120 before I'll consider them. I wouldn't take the endless spells ever... there's always other spells I would rather cast. 

I also think some battalions need to drop in price. Shriker Host has no battleline and requires 4 units and hero. There's no way it should be 140.

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I have  a list that I would love some thoughts and advice on before I take the splurge.

OK, pretty solid start to a death riders list. Only change I'd make for now is change the GoS with nightmare lantern to the GoS with mortality glass. The GoS w/mortality glass has a movement spell that gives an extra 6" in the movement phase (or 9" if that unit is near the pendant of the fell wind artefact). 

I also think Reik would be a good addition to the mix. The amount of rasps could probably drop a bit as well. If you are building around a fast moving blob, rasps will slow you down rather than act as an effective screening unit. I'd look at maybe dropping 20 rasps and taking an additional dreadblade in the battalion and taking the other 60pts for another CP and an almost guaranteed triumph roll.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice! 

I haven't looked at Reil much. What is his role? Strong magic caster? He would fit the theme a lot too 🤔

I see the rasps as maybe turn 1 screens and after that they can park on objectives or hold the rear but maybe I can drop a few for something. I'm not overly fond of them. 

Edited by Mikeymajq