AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

20 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Agreed. I would absolutely take her if I could use her ability and RotSH

That's the stuff of dreams... albeit the DH's ability to move stuff across the board via the Phantasmal Discorporation + Spectral Summons combo is potentially still stronger than a buffed-up LO... closer, though. Much closer.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/06/white-dwarf-preview-decembergw-homepage-post-3/?fbclid=IwAR3rugCMFFe0WM5i62OJK4ZJYX4sF-g-dJ2Q476HCGoF2tNa7aIlG8htBNo

Preview from the next WD ! It seems we're getting THREE new Warscroll Batallions ! There's not much detail though, we'll know when it comes out. So, good news everyone, it's not a narrative battleplan :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aaranis said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/06/white-dwarf-preview-decembergw-homepage-post-3/?fbclid=IwAR3rugCMFFe0WM5i62OJK4ZJYX4sF-g-dJ2Q476HCGoF2tNa7aIlG8htBNo

Preview from the next WD ! It seems we're getting THREE new Warscroll Batallions ! There's not much detail though, we'll know when it comes out. So, good news everyone, it's not a narrative battleplan :D

Ooooh, this is excellent news... * happy dance *

Okay to be honest its beginning to get hard not to get a little hyped for the upcoming battalions. But knowing GW and our current battalions well 

These battalions might be something like:

1 Lord Executioner 

2+ units of 20+ Gravewraith Stalkers.

= something cool but not cool enough to make sense.

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

2+ units of 20+ Gravewraith Stalkers

Can't you just take them in units of 16? Makes perfect sense for GW just like the glorious Spirits of Fellblood battalion in the Start Collecting Malignant box with the Mortis Engine. Gee, thanks GW 😅

But nay, these battalions will have great powercreep and singlehandedgly make Nighthaunt competitive again. The winds of Shyish are whispering it in my ear. Not kidding, I'm actually full of hope. 

Edited by The_Dudemeister
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Can't you just take them in units of 16? Makes perfect sense for GW just like the glorious Spirits of Fellblood battalion in the Start Collecting Malignant box with the Mortis Engine. Gee, thanks GW 😅

But nay, these battalions will have great powercreep and singlehandedgly make Nighthaunt competitive again. The winds of Shyish are whispering it in my ear. Not kidding, I'm actually full of hope. 

Honestly, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. I'll take what ever they give us.

14 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

So a noob question here as I (almost) never buy WD. But when is it in store?

Around the 3rd weekend (Saturday on the shelf) of the month? I  have a subscription, and it usually lands 2-3 weeks in (with substantial  fluctuations time-wise). More experienced hobbyists can probably be more precise, though.

6 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

these battalions will have great powercreep and singlehandedgly make Nighthaunt competitive again. The winds of Shyish are whispering it in my ear.

* nods, repeatedly *. Given that both ShroudGuard and ChainGuard are somehow worth taking, my competitive hopes are focused on the Dolorous Guard - it's all in the name!

2 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

IF they actially made a battalion including Stalkers that made sense

That would require some strong effort, IMHO...

• Like 1

It wouldnt take toooo much I think.

Give Stalkers a 6" pile-in or attack twice mrchanic. You cant take them in overwhelming numbers BUT either of those could make them quite nasty for picking off support heroes coupled with their range and retreat/charge

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

I wonder if the picture of models that was posted that says it's Lady Olynder's Emerald Host is a clue for what will be in that battalion. It shows:

Lady O

2 Dreadblade Harrows

Chainrasp Horde

Grimghast Reapers

Myrmourn Banshees

Black Coach

If that combination of units ends up in a battalion, it would at the very least make a low drop force quite possible. The lore text also would seem to imply that the Emerald Host battalion would be a more offensive focused force.

All speculation, but I'd imagine that stuff would be somewhat purposeful and relate to the actual battalion rules.

19 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

One concern; will they be Nighthaunt Battalions or Legion of Grief?

Dun dun dunnn

That is a very good question... hopefully NH, as I believe it’s fair to say that our beloved faction needs some love in order to be brought close enough to where LoG sits in the competitive scenario.

On the other hand, people have been complaining (and righteously so) about the (absolute? I know there’s an entire thread about this...) lack of Battalions for LoG since they have appeared, so...

Ideally, both - I don’t see a huge problem with any aspect of the Lore that should prevent NH and LoG Battalions not to be taken in one or the other.

Back on the speculation train, I do hope one of these three Battalions would indeed involve SHs... one of my favourite unit within the whole of Death - imagine if they could become even more tanky... or - Nagash forbid! - doing MWs on 5+... I shall entertain these silly dreams until reality hits!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aaranis said:

I believe they're just promo pictures, I wouldn't read too much into it. Though I suppose we'll have at least one Battalion with Olynder in it.

Could be. But if you're choosing models for a promo image for that purpose, as I believe it's a new image, I don't know why you wouldn't choose models from the topic in question. 

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

One concern; will they be Nighthaunt Battalions or Legion of Grief?

Dun dun dunnn

Yeah, I'm worried about this. I much prefer the playstyle of NH to LoG even if the latter is better.

Also, from a business perspective, I wonder if they chose to strengthen models that don't see much play. If so, I'd expect Harridans to be in a battalion.