AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Kinda strange to have to ally in Vamps in a LoN list but no change there I guess.

I dont see why Necros wouldnt be able to take spells from the Deathmage lore. Unless it says wizards can only use the new lore which would be extremely limiting and make no sense

39 minutes ago, Joncharris13 said:

Any confirmation of if we can use NH battleline units!

I have no desire to run a ton of wolves/skeles- just to try some killer bravery bombs

Other than chainrasp hordes nope, makes me sad. Still, could do same big damage with tomb banshees, olynder and harridans, so I'll be giving it a shot.

It does frustrate me that there is no battalion at all from the look of it though. They make battalions such a make or break thing for armies then don't bother making even one for LoG, ain't no chance of getting first turn with it sadly.

Spells are good though, command abilities are decent, gravesites are amazing, artifacts are... sad honestly, just terrible.

Can take necromancers now however, pile in and attack twice ain't bad at all. I'll play with LoG, not sure how the cards will fall but I still think it will be fun. Im more annoyed that the horrorghast is 60 points, I was really hoping for 40 given that a few endless spells already give -bravery and that is ALL this one offers.

Edited by Qrow

You know i feel like GW feel battleshock is WAY more impactful than it is. It is like they understand how damaging the phase could be, so they give everyone the ability to ignore it entirely, not realising that that makes the whole phase worthless

• Like 1

I dont mind if Rasps are battleline- but id love to see hosts become battleline too!

Looks like i may need another 20rasps to meet the minimum 3battleline now though- and then ill be running 3lots of 20. 

Im really not gonna drop cash on skeles just to see how this plays out. But the bravery is good if i can battleline NH

• Like 1

Another kinda weird thing, the other legions have battalions featuring their mortarchs that make them feel special, more powerful in some way. I can't really see any reason to run olynder in LoG, while her scream will hurt more often, it is still only D3 in 10", be better to take 4 banshees for cheap and do 4D6 or better.

It is early, and I hope that the reviews have just been told to skip certain pages with some info on them, but at the moment LoG feels sorta half-arsed

Edited by Qrow

I dunno, Olynder still makes a bit impact whwn she doesnt just get run over in 1 turn.

I feel like I could run my normal NH army with a mortis engine and a few necromancers swapped in. Maybe swap Weight King for KoShrouds seeing as Shroudguard is gone - NVM Weight King only gives +1 attack to Deathrattle. Damn.

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

Test List;

Reikenor

2x Necromancers

KoS on ES

STorment

Mortis Engine

2x15 Bladegheists

12 Myrmourn Banshees

2x20 1x10 Chainrasps (ugh)

1990 points

---------------

Mortis gives cast bonus to Reik and the Necros, KoS gives his +1 attack to myrmourns or Bladegheists, 4 dispell rolls, got 3 units of chaff and 3 units of lethality, 2 of which might get to attack twice. Plus gravesites

(Swap reik for Oly and downgrade some rasps maybe)

Edited by Neck-Romantic

12 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Test List;

Reikenor

2x Necromancers

KoS on ES

STorment

Mortis Engine

2x15 Bladegheists

12 Myrmourn Banshees

2x20 1x10 Chainrasps (ugh)

1990 points

---------------

Mortis gives cast bonus to Reik and the Necros, KoS gives his +1 attack to myrmourns or Bladegheists, 4 dispell rolls, got 3 units of chaff and 3 units of lethality, 2 of which might get to attack twice. Plus gravesites

(Swap reik for Oly and downgrade some rasps maybe)

As good as bladegheist are, might be worth trying harridans instead. Without wave of terror to fish for while cycle charging and with the -1 to hit being much easier to achieve, i think they may actually be useful.

6 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Well I own 30 bladegheists, and no harridans yet 😂

Don't sweat it man; Bladegheists are still pretty freaking good. 

Now, here's a question though: Can we run our battalions in LoG? Because if so, wouldn't that mean we'd get the rules like WoT or Shroudguards buff in addition?

• Like 1

No, no battalions. I have seen people on facebook trying to claim you can because you can in a wraith fleet army, but that book very specifically says "units and/or warscroll battalions", LoG does not say that at all sadly.

Also worth noting and I think possibly a shake up in AoS in general. The new penumbral engine scenery looks like it has a point cost, 100-200 from what I can make out. Wonder if all scenery if suddenly going to have a point cost, or if this is a one off as all factions can take it.

2 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

And its about time scenery with rules had point costs, frankly.

Yeah, I can get a little salty about neither of my factions getting one yet, especially when the opponents are great (so jealous of the herdstone). Maybe it is free if you don't have any terrain, but you have to pay if you are taking other terrain?

I don't know if GW would risk the anger of people suddenly having to pay points for something that was feee before, could be taken money grubbing.

Another example army 

Lady O

Briar Queen

TBanshee

TBanshee

Terrorgheist

3x10 chainrasp

Briar Queen retinue chainrasps

2x20 Harridans

12 Myrmourns

Horrorgheist ESpell

---------------------

Swap Terrorgheist and/or Briar Queen for Mortis engine/Mourngul + KoSoES to synergize myrmourns or stack -3 to hit

Edited by Neck-Romantic

7 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Another example army 

Lady O

Briar Queen

TBanshee

TBanshee

Terrorgheist

3x10 chainrasp

Briar Queen retinue chainrasps

2x20 Harridans

12 Myrmourns

Horrorgheist ESpell

---------------------

Swap Terrorgheist and/or Briar Queen for Mortis engine/Mourngul + KoSoES to synergize myrmourns or stack -3 to hit

Under LoG or normal NH If LoG the Terrorgheist isn't possible to use

LoG is why Harridans and Banshees are making their comeback, due to being able to stack -5 to -6 + d3 bravery. None of these new bravery debuffs (besides horrogheist) are available for Nh; only LoG

We are essentially Losing WoT and our command traits/spells/artifacts in exchange for bombing Bravery to quite possibly 0, respawning whole units from gravesites, and gaining access to a large quantity of existing Death units.

Come to think of it; with people learning to not fully wipe our units out in order to avoid respawning... maybe that breathes new (un)life into some of the more indiscriminate endless spells... killing the last 2 or 3 ghosts in order to fully respawn and taking a few of the enemy with them

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

I like being able to have this option, I don't like the only nighthaunt battleline looks to be chainrasps with all those spirit hosts I got laying about... I don't really want to go and buy dire wolves or skeletons.

I enjoy fielding Olynder, although her command ability is pretty lackluster, especially when spirit hosts are not battleline, so a wasted command trait in that case.

In general all that -bravery seems meh, a very underwhelming and unreliable way to deal damage, still need to make something flee to benefit, and the enemy commander will just save command points for inspiring presence where needed, neutering both endless spells, 8+ cast spells for d3 bravery minus etc, seems very meh. Bloodbound? immune, Beasts of chaos? immune near stone, Gloomspite? same. demons etc dont much care.