AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

Running scythes.. However I have yet to really try it out as I finished painting it a week back.

the horses come as a model with 2 half horses on each sprue. They are attached on a string of ghostly energy. My guess is that you could pretty easily cut them off that string however it would require a bit of greenstuff and modeling to make it look cool. 

But may I ask for what you gonna use the most expensive ghost ponies that you can buy? Sure the dreadblade horses or even hexwraith aren’t better?

I was thinking of doing a Black Coach conversion with a spectral monster crushing a broken coach. No horses. Then I would use the horses for Blood Knights :)

52 minutes ago, Grailstorm said:

I was thinking of doing a Black Coach conversion with a spectral monster crushing a broken coach. No horses. Then I would use the horses for Blood Knights :)

Expensive conversions, but they are pretty easy to use.  The main issue is only 2 of them actually attach to the ground, the other 2 need you to greenstuff or glue them to some scenery so they can stand up.

20190223_110618.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Hexwraiths.

Unlike the majority of people here I swear by my hexwraiths.  Eventually I want 20 of these guys, but that is a very expensive conversion project and I am not made of money.  So it is a project that will very slowly take place.  :D

Use dreadblade harrows as hexwraith looks cool and ist less expensive

12 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Hexwraiths.

Unlike the majority of people here I swear by my hexwraiths.  Eventually I want 20 of these guys, but that is a very expensive conversion project and I am not made of money.  So it is a project that will very slowly take place.  :D

Yeah, I like them too!

So glad to hear as I am very sceptical of Hexwraith and is currently painting up 10 of them. At first I disliked the model but gotta say that they are growing on me, so if it turns out they aren’t to shabby on the field too, then I guess im one happy Casper.

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ahn-ket said:

Use dreadblade harrows as hexwraith looks cool and ist less expensive

$125 for 10 Dreadblades, and they will all look the same.

x2 Coaches, x1 Dreadblade Box, x1 Bladegeist Box =  $300

So mine are more than twice as expensive as just using a bunch of Dreadblades.

However mine also lets me make x10 unique Hexwraiths, including denoting the Hellwraith with the fancy coach horse headcrests.  It also gives me the three attendant spirits from the coach twice, which gives me six interesting ghosts I can use for conversions.  However, again it is super expensive and I cannot afford to do it that way quickly.

BUUUT, I was looking at the corpse mares that come in the FEC endless spell and they might make a cheap way to get more modern undead horses.  My main issue is two of them seem to be literally inside the ground a lot. Not deal breaking as ghosts can rise up from the ground, but not as 'flighty' as most of our ghosts looks, and they also don't have spectral stuff flowing off of them.  Maybe green stuff can help there.  Don't know how easily they can be seperated if at all.  Either way I have ideas of making counts as 'black coaches' using the stampede ridden by spirits with a ghost wizard as the front most rider.  A knight-wizard and his body guards for my Shade-Host.  Just waiting for bits places to sell the endless spells piece meal so I can get just the stampede for conversion fiddling.

Also, forgive my double post... but I have been taking an Ethereal Amulet on my Vampire Lord so that he can fit into the ghostly theme of the rest of my army for the longest.  Someone however mentioned offhandedly the other day that allies cannot have artifacts...

Is this ruled somewhere that our allied characters cannot have artifacts?  I know he cannot have a Nighthaunt one since he is not a Nighthaunt hero, but the realm artifact of Shyish should still be able to be taken on him no?

4 hours ago, Nevar said:

Also, forgive my double post... but I have been taking an Ethereal Amulet on my Vampire Lord so that he can fit into the ghostly theme of the rest of my army for the longest.  Someone however mentioned offhandedly the other day that allies cannot have artifacts...

Is this ruled somewhere that our allied characters cannot have artifacts?  I know he cannot have a Nighthaunt one since he is not a Nighthaunt hero, but the realm artifact of Shyish should still be able to be taken on him no?

It’s in the FAQs that allies can’t have any Artefacts.

So, I'm scratching my head and trying to devise a decently competative Nighthaunt army, designed around a balanced army list. This is what I have so far; the general idea is to lock down an objective or forward position with the Execution Horde and Lady O, using the spirit hosts as a bunker. The Chainrasps are there to hold the front lines and screen, while the Grimghasts and Reiknor are the heavy hitters.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

Battalions
Chainguard (120)
Execution Horde (100)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

Edited by Undeadly

7 hours ago, Grailstorm said:

Anyone had much experience with the Mourngul? Have you found it worth the points since the nerf? How does it compare to the Coach?

Coach is pretty much always better in my opinion.  Mourngul got nerfed too much.  If he was like 200 pts then he would be good, but right now he is more expensive than our coach, and his main niche is he -1 to hit aura.  Can be awesome, but he is a model you have to build a list around to get his full benefits.  If you already have him, take him for a spin, but I would not recommend buying one to use at the moment.  Maybe build and paint him for fun and hope he gets some love in the GHB coming up.  Mine collects dust.

Yep. The Mourn is decent shape with frightful touch, fast and packs a decent punch; but its point cost is still disproportionate to it's reduced stats.

I agree 200  would be more realistic.

The trick seems to be not to send him in alone like a true behemoth but keep him back a bit and engage once your battleline is stuck in. He has the movement to jump over a combat to wipe out support characters while applying his debuff to the main combat

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Hey guys, acquired a bunch of Nighthaunt in a trade recently (about 4000pts). Pretty much got all the models but Revenants and Harridans. My question is, I obviously see a lot of Legion based death armies, over just pure Nighthaunt, is that a coincidence on the strength of the army alone, or are there decent-ish battalions that people suggest I look at?

Looking to make a 2000pt list so I know what to paint first. All suggestions welcome!

Don't mind adding potential allies either! 

Hello all, I have a question which might be a bit basic, but I think would be interesting to people in the same situation. I’m currently thinking of getting into nighthaunt, and would want to get a basic 1000-pt list together to get going. Not competitive, but at least fun to play with. I have the AoS2 box set and the Shadespire thorns of the briar queen models as a base at least. What do people recommend?

1 hour ago, Drillz said:

What would it take to make Nighthaunts top tier? It seems we are low man on the totem pole for death

If we had gotten some broken piece of placeable scenery with rules like Idoneth or Skaven, if our ressurection abilities werent so sub-par, or if our horde-based army had a few point price tweaks I think we would be fine.

5 hours ago, Drillz said:

What would it take to make Nighthaunts top tier? It seems we are low man on the totem pole for death

Remove one word from one of our habilities, and we become really good (maybe top tier). Just make wrath of terror 10+ charge. Cogs will mean we get an additional atack every 8+ charge. That is just nasty. +7 with the black coach batallion. That is just my opinion though.

Bravery debuffs would make banshees a very effective hero choice too.

Delete  ‘wholly’ within or at least increase the range. I have a really hard time getting any buffs or resurections on even relatively small units. I feel like we are so close to being strong yet incredibilly weak. However I remain loyal to NH through the temptations og going LoN.

In fact I want to a tournement as a guest recently and there were a ton of death armies that were based on Nighthaunt units though they were LoN armies. 

Edited by Greasygeek

Adding our units to Legions of Nagash is the worst  thing that could have happened to the Nighthaunt battletome.

I don't mind that Nighthaunt aren't OP or easy, but it's infuriating that our units works way better in an outside battletome.

That makes the Nighthaunt allegiance, as cool as it is,  a subpar option if you want to play competitively, and worst of all, it has the side effect that nerfs directed at LoN (Nagash and Grimghast Spam lists) will affect directly our army, weakening it.

I hope that GW presses the correct key to fix this, but I'm curious of how they'll do it, because pointwise, NH doesn't look that expensive, and making Grimghasts more expensive while decreasing the points of Glaivewraiths won't do it.

• Like 1