AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

19 hours ago, MrRoff said:

Wtf, they look exactly like the myrmourn banshees  easy to build, you can already buy... Are gw really that lazy? 

This game isn't for you - it's a gateway game probably produced at a low price point for people who don't know if those model are new or existing or whatever.

Edited by sinksinksink
rm image

4 minutes ago, Drillz said:

What’s the most competitive way to run nighthaunts for bigger tournaments like adepticon, BAO, and wargamescon

Well, this list just won the UK Masters:

Vampire Lord - Mount: Flying Horror
Knight of Shrouds
Tomb Banshee - Pendant of the Fell Wind
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern
Soul Cage - Wychlight Lantern
Dreadblade Harrow
General Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - Aetherquartz Brooch
2 x 20 Chainrasp Horde
10 Chainrasp Horde
2 x 5 Dreadscythe Harridans
2 x 12 Myrmourn Banshees
Chainguard - Shrieker Host
Chronomantic Cogs - Prismatic Palisade
Total: 1930 - Command Points: 3 - Mortal Realm: Hysh

3 hours ago, Mutter said:

Well, this list just won the UK Masters:

Vampire Lord - Mount: Flying Horror
Knight of Shrouds
Tomb Banshee - Pendant of the Fell Wind
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern
Soul Cage - Wychlight Lantern
Dreadblade Harrow
General Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - Aetherquartz Brooch
2 x 20 Chainrasp Horde
10 Chainrasp Horde
2 x 5 Dreadscythe Harridans
2 x 12 Myrmourn Banshees
Chainguard - Shrieker Host
Chronomantic Cogs - Prismatic Palisade
Total: 1930 - Command Points: 3 - Mortal Realm: Hysh

No it didn’t... this is Benjamin’s List, UK masters was won with a Beasts of Chaos list by Dan Bradshaw. Benjamin did however win the London Masters but that was with a Bonesplitters list. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:10 AM, MrRoff said:

Wtf, they look exactly like the myrmourn banshees  easy to build, you can already buy... Are gw really that lazy? 

I don't think GW is getting lazy, all their amazing releases and the like prove that.  I think this is evidence of another thing we have been musing.

I think this is further evidence that Nighthaunt was rushed/or was not what it was originally planned to be for some reason.  From the moment we started seeing models, I was predicting the four model Myrmourns were a Shadespire warband, and the x3 Sequitors were another warband also.  I said it was mainly because they had 'shadespire' type bases and came in 'shadespire' sized units.  x3 Sequitors, just like every Stormcast Warband.  Then we saw the Dreadblades and they had similar bases, so that threw me for a loop and I said... "maybe we will see cavalry in Shadespire?".

Well turns out I was right... and wrong.  These models in their very unique poses looks extremely repetitive on the table top in units of 8 or 12, even though I love them as a unit.  Also... why units in multiples of four?  Why not a box of x10 Myrmourns?  Well if they suddenly were repurposing a shadespire warband they had in the works to make another unit for the upcoming Nighthaunt release, that would make sense since their 'sprue' would be four easy to build banshees.

Plus... look at the strange Dreadblade Harrow box that gives us two heroes for the price of one, yet they only come in units of one in our rules.  Potentially we might see our Dreadblades recycled into Shadespire soon as well.  That would make sense why the Dreadblades seem a little off the wall in our Battletome, if they, like these Myrmourns were pre-planned warbands that got hustled into the battletome for some reason.  Not to mention all the 'named' heroes we got released in other strange ways.

Crawlock the Jailer and his two Chaingasts remain the only source of Chaingasts... were chaingasts supposed to be a seperate unit or were they a feature of the named character Crawlock?  What about the 'character' Bladegeist we got as the anniversary model?  She has a name and a unique design and weapon loadout... was she supposed to be a named character at one point?  Why is the multipart Guardian of Souls with all the weapon options an anniversary model, even though our Battletome specifically referenced his special spell?  Our Guardians are allowed a chill blade or maul... yet only the anniversary model has those weapon as options... that goes against GW's policy of only having rules for what they sell.

Shadespire is a well balanced and forward planned game even more than normal AoS or 40k, because GW wants it to be their event/tourny type game that can live in the same realm as Magic and other not as hobby intensive games.  Hence the colored plastic and easy fit models, plus all the cards and the like.  I very much doubt GW didn't have these two warbands planned out well in advance, even before Soul Wars dropped.

• Like 4

Remember boardgames might share a market with wargames, but the target market is slightly different. It actually makes a lot of sense that a game which is far more boardgame then wargame market would recycle models from the wargame. 

In short I think GW wants a few things:

1) The board game to sell as a board game NOT as a cheap or alternate source of sculpts. This can cause a nightmare for their marketing because they might see a big sales spike early on, but it won't be from boardgamers, but from wargamers after the models. By using models sold elsewhere it reduces this potential sales spike. That means the sales it does get are from its actual market who will play the game. This makes it a lot easier for GW to forecast potential investment opportunities following through on this.

2) Board games are a darn hard market and not GW's primary. So keeping costs down helps a lot. Saving a fortune on casting a new mould for the models means that they've more resources for their core market, wargames. 

3) It likely speeds up the release to market process, again this might be important for GW as they might be chasing recent sales and pattern trends before they run out or get swamped by the competition. 

In the end it doesn't matter that they are repeats because this isn't a game for Nighthaunt players; its a game for a whole different market that shares a portion of its playerbase with nighthaunt players. So using the same models is perfectly fine. You have to view it as a board game not as a source of alternate sculpts - which in all fairness is something GW has done with quite a few other games. Blackstone Fortress is certainly getting big sales spikes just for models alone not just the game. It's a win win on that line for GW because they know its going to happen there. For other games which are trying to really breach and take hold just in the boardgames market GW needs that relief from hungry wargamers just after models (because at that point GW can save a boatload of money and just release the models and leave out all the boxed game content and development)

• Like 1

I will be facing down a very experienced Stormcast player next Friday. If I don't take my Skaven, I'll be using Nighthaunt. He will almost certainly bring a Stardrake he will out a 4+ mortal wound save on, along with Retribitors, Raptors and a base of Liberators. Any advice, ghosty folk?

2 hours ago, Bohemond said:

One quick question: Can I confidently make an army with only Hex and Hosts as battleline, or are Chainrasps considered to be a better choice?

I have a pre-battletome Nighthaunt army, thus the question. 

Grimgasts are considered the best choice.

Spirit Hosts are good, and people say Hexwraiths are not so great.

However I swear by Hexwraiths, but I think in the end it depends what else you have in the army.  Hexwraiths are very good at hunting down artillery, jumping over chaff, and flying to objectives, they do not make the best front line fighters.  If you have something better at being a front line, filling the battle line with Hexwraiths is not a problem.  Spirit Hosts can do this.

As a start to your army, Hosts and Hex's are good, you will just want to expand to Grims, Bladegeists, etc.

• Like 2

@Nevar Thanks. Looking at Grims and Blades profiles, it seems like Grims are the better choice since I already have Spirit Hosts. Hosts are good but struggle with hordes, and Grims can help with that. It does not look like Blades have a lot to offer me then, especially since I don't have or care to buy Torments or Chainghasts (who also buff Blades). Is this assessment correct?

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I will be facing down a very experienced Stormcast player next Friday. If I don't take my Skaven, I'll be using Nighthaunt. He will almost certainly bring a Stardrake he will out a 4+ mortal wound save on, along with Retribitors, Raptors and a base of Liberators. Any advice, ghosty folk?

I haven't played against a Stardrake, but behemoths is something I really struggle with playing against. Myrmourns can be great and destroy behemoths if they get extra attacks and get off a Wave of Terror, but that's difficult to pull off consistently.

44 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

@Nevar Thanks. Looking at Grims and Blades profiles, it seems like Grims are the better choice since I already have Spirit Hosts. Hosts are good but struggle with hordes, and Grims can help with that. It does not look like Blades have a lot to offer me then, especially since I don't have or care to buy Torments or Chainghasts (who also buff Blades). Is this assessment correct?

I don't use Torments or Chainghasts when I run Blades, but in that case I use Blades the same way you would likely use Hexwraiths - to hunt down small heroes or units.

Im loving units of 15 Blades; hits hard enough to wipe most medium-smaller squads or heavily dent elites/larger mobs and has enough staying power to last long enough to escape/recieve heals.

I miss Myrmourns but have hard a hard time squeezing them into lists lately. Feels like we could use some small point tweaks

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if Kurdoss Valentian gets an opportunity to steal a command point every time a command point is allocated to your opponent in a single turn, or if it's only for the standard single command point given once per turn? 

"At the start of the enemy hero phase, after the opposing player receives their command point for that turn, roll a dice. On a 5+, subtract 1 from the enemy player’s command points, to a minimum of 0, and you receive 1 command point."

The wording makes it seem like it's referring only to the one command point an opponent gets per turn. The reason why I'm asking is because gloomspite gitz, and now by extension Ironjawz through allies, have the opportunity to gain several command points per turn with the fungoid cave shaman and Skragrott the Loonking. I'm just curious if there's been any social media response, general T.O. agreement, etc. on how to handle that since it's not addressed in the Nighthaunt battletome FAQ (designer's commentary).  

I actually play both armies with my main being IJ (~6,000 pts) and my backup being Nighthaunt (~4,000 pts).  So, I was genuinely curious.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Bohemond said:

Blades can retreat and charge naturally.  Likewise, Spirit Torments are extremely good support pieces even when no in conjunction with Blades.

2 hours ago, Grailstorm said:

Question for anyone with the Black Coach:

How easy would it be to use the horses as individual mounts? Would it take a lot of conversion work? Just wondering if they’re physically attached to the coach or not...

Also in game – are you running scythe or grasp?

Running scythes.. However I have yet to really try it out as I finished painting it a week back.

the horses come as a model with 2 half horses on each sprue. They are attached on a string of ghostly energy. My guess is that you could pretty easily cut them off that string however it would require a bit of greenstuff and modeling to make it look cool. 

But may I ask for what you gonna use the most expensive ghost ponies that you can buy? Sure the dreadblade horses or even hexwraith aren’t better?

Edited by Greasygeek