AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

This is the last unit not properly teased, so we've got pictures of everything we are getting.

32544073_1798368593517062_5768655117393854464_o (1).jpg

Bladegheists? These look incredible. I wonder if we'll see a 5 or 10 model kit for these... they have a minimum unit size of 5.

4 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Wonder they will be a duel kit with those scytheed handed banshees?

I dunno, GW seems to be very allergic to dual kits these days. They didn't even make Namarti a dual kit (granted it was probably better since the legs are quite different).

45 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Grimghasts are fast, blendy, -1 rend AND 1 better save than chainrasps too.

Wondering if bladegheists will be si gle wound models.. kinda would be nice for the MoG's return 1 model ability to target multiwound models like hosts

I would love for them to be 2 wounds because they are likely my favorite new models, but they can come in large blobs so I don't dare to hope.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, Nevar said:

So I love the Mortarch of Grief. 10/10 will bring her often.

Craven King... I actually love his rules and his model... but it confused me a lot.  I had imagined him having the sort of stats/abilities that the Grimhailer had.  Sort of a mix between warrior and wizard.  Not upset of disappointed, just seems at odds with his model.  The heralds and stuff seem like the perfect source of army buffs and stuff, but instead they are purely 'fluff' pieces.  Again, not bad... just... off.

Grimhailer... wow I love the rider a lot.  Think his horse is cool.  Hate the horse's wings, he's a ghost man, his horse can fly without wings that I have to try to transport without breaking him.  I love his rules, all of them, but like the Craven King I am just put on heels by that model being the melee/wizard.  He looks like he should be the beat stick hero.  Makes sense that he is not, love his rules, glad they are how they are my expectations were just subverted pretty hard.  I will likely remove his wings and make him just on a spectral steed, but all three of these heroes will be in my collection 100%. 

Awesome new models and rules, can't wait for them to release so I can buy them already.

It's not a horse... it's a dead Pegasus!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Depends entirely on how you want to run an army and the opponent you're up against.  For me, Grimghast are pretty speedy, with a middle of the road attack, but that all important -1 rend which Chainrasp don't have.   One of the biggest issues I find with big blob units (e.g. skeletons) is that they don't manoeuvre very well, but Grimghast have that 8" move and fly, so mitigate that a bit more than other big units.

I think they are great, especially their rend and movement combined with 2inch reach. I just dont think they fit their purpose in a unit of 30 as a horde. I'd use a horde for an attrition fight and use Grimghast in units of 10 max 20 to clear small units/heroes. Kill and move again. 

7 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

It's not a horse... it's a dead Pegasus!

Mine won't be, going to either not assemble the wings, or cut them off if I have to.  I have always had a dislike for the Pegasus archtype.  They just don't look like they should be able to fly or are fit to fly.  Gryphons don't bother me, because they look like a flying creature.  Pegasusi just look incongruous with themselves even for a magical creature.

• Like 1

I'm not is the horde camp atm for NH. I think that we can build a pretty fast moving army with many buffs and magic/summon. That is the way that I'd do my NH death faction. Hex (2 or 3 units, one maybe 2 hex units with the Mounted NoS.)+ Host+ Grimghast  as a base.  They hit hard. They move fast They fly. They are resilient and summonable. Banshe as snipers (or whatever, I just like the mini). I'll have to think about several heros: we are rich in this department.

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm not is the horde camp atm for NH. I think that we can build a pretty fast moving army with many buffs and magic/summon. That is the way that I'd do my NH death faction. Hex (2 or 3 units, one maybe 2 hex units with the Mounted NoS.)+ Host+ Grimghast  as a base.  They hit hard. They move fast They fly. They are resilient and summonable. Banshe as snipers (or whatever, I just like the mini). I'll have to think about several heros: we are rich in this department.

Problem is, we don't know how Nighthaunt allegiance will work.  Keep in mind, the current Nighthaunt relies on special deployment options in the form of Deep-strike which allows us to drop all of our units in range for turn 1 charges, thus making speed only relevant later in the game after the main fighting is winding down and we needed to get to objectives.

We might not continue to have this option, or it might carry over and stay in the army.  Because we simply do not know the answer to that, it is pretty fruitless to even speculate on army composition.

That said, there has been hints from GW of fast moving cavalry type Nighthaunt synergies, so we can look forward to that.

We don't need to know everything to imagine a speed army: all the units are there. The rest is just bonus to even increase the efficiency. Without the allegiances, we already have:

- fast units and several relatively cheap. We have probably the best light cacalry of the game!

- deadly yet resilient/summonable

- seveal nice heros and synergies.

I like movments. And it fits well with the lore of ghost army.

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

We don't need to know everything to imagine a speed army: all the units are there. The rest is just bonus to even increase the efficiency. Without the allegiances, we already have:

- fast units and several relatively cheap. We have probably the best light cacalry of the game!

- deadly yet resilient/summonable

- seveal nice heros and synergies.

I like movments. And it fits well with the lore of ghost army.

True, but we don't know the stats or speeds of nearly half the army.

The new Dreadblade Harrows seems to be cheap horse mounted heroes, what do they do?  Do they boost attacks? Do they add speed to others around them like a Fell Wind Pendant?  What about the Black Coach?  We assume it will offer some kind of synergy, and since it is fast you would imagine it would work well with other fast units?

How fast are herridans?  Do they have ranged attacks?  Can Bladegeists keep up with Grimghasts?

You are right, you can imagine the speed of what we have, but at the end of the day it is just imaginary speculation.  I didn't comment because you want to run a speedy list, I only commented because you said:

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm not is the horde camp atm for NH.

I assumed this was speculation for what you thought the army was going to be.  A lot of people here assume Nighthaunt will be a horde army, not that you can only play as a horde.  If you are just saying you -want- to play a speedy list, then yeah go after it man.  I played with a 15 man block of Hexwraiths for the past year and a Pendant of the Fell Wind giving everything +3" to their movement.  Speed is something Nighthaunt can already do without any of the cool new stuff.

Speculation on what Nighthaunt is designed to do is what I think is premature.  Fun list speculation is all good and can absolutely be done with information you have on hand.  I just wouldn't make any purchases based on speculated army lists based on incomplete information.

I'm torn on how I want to paint these chaps. On one hand, I like the ethereal look as I find that 'real' clothes on what are ghosts seems... strange. On the other hand, I get the feeling 90% of people will be going for said ethereal look and it's very quickly going to be looked down upon as lazy and uninspired. 

Decisions, decisions.

4 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm torn on how I want to paint these chaps. On one hand, I like the ethereal look as I find that 'real' clothes on what are ghosts seems... strange. On the other hand, I get the feeling 90% of people will be going for said ethereal look and it's very quickly going to be looked down upon as lazy and uninspired. 

Decisions, decisions.

That is the unfortunate side of playing 'the new hotness'.

For example I have a full 2000+ pts of Nighthaunt already and have been playing them a while now.  With the new release there is going to suddenly be a bunch of NH players crawling all over my stores.  Where before my army was unique in it's all ethereal paint job and strange dedication to an under supported mini-faction... I will just be another guy wearing the same T-shirt as everyone else.

I don't say that to sound like a hipster, I just mean you have to do what you like and ignore the trend.  The excitement for Nighthaunt will pass and most of the people who are all suddenly going to be playing Nighthaunt will move on soon, and you will be left with what you are going to be playing.  Paint them how -you- are going to enjoy them, and don't let the current wave of scrutiny change your mind.

This happened to my Tau Empire also, I played them since they were released and there were some several years of the "Dark Times" where only Necrons and Tau hadn't had a new codex.  My army was refreshing and interesting to people because no one played Tau because they 'sucked'.  Then came the Days of the Taudar where everyone and their dog had Tau suits all over the board and everyone was talking down to me about not playing Tau right or painting them in the right colors.  Those times passed as well.

Unless you are one of those wave riders, the wave should not alter your preferences.

• Thanks 1

Allegiance Abilities (from WHLive)

-1 bravery to units within 6” of a Nighthaunt unit

6+ ignore wounds for a unit wholly within 12” of a hero

Half of your units can be in the underworld. Auto arrive, but must arrive by turn 4

10”+ unmodified charge - immediately attack (and can then attack again later)

New Command Ability for General. Remove a unit and set it up within 12” of general / more than 9” from enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Half of your units can be in the underworld. Auto arrive, but must arrive by turn 4

New Command Ability for General. Remove a unit and set it up within 12” of general / more than 9” from enemy.

YES. 

Poltergeist teleportation shenanigans!

Can we get more info about that charge!?

Edited by Neck-Romantic

I'm not fond of the new hour glass endless spell I'd rather have the lifeswarm to regain models and not have my opponent switch the clock to mw output time.

The shyish reaper could be good when the opponent is in CC with you, when the unit is all tightly packed up it'll clip alot of models bar then it all depends on there armour value.

It'll be interesting to see how the vault deals out mw as getting up to 20 is Alot to ask for when people can move away or just dispel it before it reaches 20. 

3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Agreed. Played Necrons for years before 5th and their influx of awesome, or the Decurion and their reign of terror.

I painted my existing NH as ethereal, having loved the studio Mortis Engine's take on ghosts.

I play Necrons now, and the new codex came and went and I safely escaped any 'overpower' event.  Now with the no Deep-strike on turn 1 rules I am left with one of the few armies that can teleport into turn 1 charge range with 10 Lychguard and no one expects it because Necrons already got the "Meh they suck" pass from the wider community.  One of the only times in my gaming career I was happy to see no super awesome new model releases to cause everyone to jump onto my band wagon.

As to painting our Nighthaunt, I really enjoyed the ethereal scheme, and I played all spirits in another game called "Kings of War" by Mantic.  I have to admit I switched from Pheonix Temple to Nighthaunt last year because I got a new job that did not allow a lot of painting time.  I both loved Nighthaunt models back then, AND really wanted an army I could get the best bang for my buck in painting time.  So I buckled down, accepted that I chose a faction with only like 6 units to choose from, and started playing them exclusively.  Now... maybe a year later my ghosts are getting a massive expansion and amazing new models.  Super pleased, but also had apprehension that Nighthaunt might be too powerful and draw in everyone who wants to WAAC.  I was secretly hoping Nighthaunt would be good but not great so that the attention would pass and I could go back to sitting with a mostly good but ignored army like I am doing with my Necrons.  Sort of like Legions of Nagash did.

I know that is not something I should say in the GA: Death forum... but in my local area at least there was a lot of Hype for LoN, but when it released a lot of people used Azyr to think up cool armies they would switch to, but none of them actually ended up doing so because their Stormcasts/Nurgle/BeastClaw/etc. were still 'better' in their eyes and the attention shifted off of LoN in my meta.  LoN is an amazing Battle Tome, but I am glad I don't have to fight a hundred mirror matches a week now.  Hope the same ends up happening with Nighthaunt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Were these mentioned by word of mouth or was there some sort of printed image?

I only ask because they also have said other things that we jumped into hype about that didn't turn out to be exactly the case.

What do you think about Vampire Lord with wings as allies?

They are fast (move 10"), can heal all summonable units (3 units, D3 heal),  cost just 140pts, they have "wizard" keyword for Mistic Shield or Arcane Bolt.

I think of running 2 of them in my "Grimghast horde army". Basically it will be

3x30 Grimghast

2x Vampire Lord

1x Guardian of Souls

This is 1500/2000pts, and I still have 500pts for another "to be determent" stuff