AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

On 12/21/2018 at 10:48 AM, Neck-Romantic said:

Ive been noticing the way the army plays tends to want me to clump up in a very tight ball of 'within x inches' auras... the GoS, STorment, Shroudguard, Deathless saves etc.. which I end up with about 2 large clusters of models without much board control.

Its starting to become a hard habit to break.. but if I spread out to enagage more targets/objectives my Heros get picked off, or Ill stray out of 'within' aura range, or heal/res range etc.

Anyone having similar tendencies cropping up?

*edit* 

Oh; and 1" melee on nearly all our stuff is absolutely maddening

The fact that almost all our buffs and auras are 'wholly within' drives me absolutely crazy, especially when an über faction like DoK doesn't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

The fact that almost all our buffs and auras are 'wholly within' drives me absolutely crazy, especially when an über faction like DoK doesn't have to worry about it.

Its a struggle I've had. Its hard to keep a 20 man Reaper unit that moves 8 wholly within 12" of a guardian or Spirit Torment when they only move 6". Chainrasps aren't as bad on 25mm bases but those 32s are good sized.

4 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

There are a lot of quirks like that. The 32mm Bladegheists having a 1" attack with 2h swords... or the Mourngul having a 1" attack with his roughly 30' wingspan... as a Behemoth that is 90% arms lol

The Mourngul at least has a 2“ attack. 

On 12/21/2018 at 4:48 AM, Neck-Romantic said:

Ive been noticing the way the army plays tends to want me to clump up in a very tight ball of 'within x inches' auras... the GoS, STorment, Shroudguard, Deathless saves etc.. which I end up with about 2 large clusters of models without much board control.

Its starting to become a hard habit to break.. but if I spread out to enagage more targets/objectives my Heros get picked off, or Ill stray out of 'within' aura range, or heal/res range etc.

Anyone having similar tendencies cropping up?

*edit* 

Oh; and 1" melee on nearly all our stuff is absolutely maddening

I have found my games go better when I don't rely on the hero buffs. This allows me to have more board control and to be more selective with what I target. Reapers don't need buffs to take on hordes. Small units of Blades, Harridans, or Death Stalker units are good hero hunters. 

I will surround a Guardian with Chainrasps, especially if I take that battalion. 

On 12/25/2018 at 10:57 AM, CanHammer-darren said:

Anyone use the briar queen in their games? That spell seems pretty awesome. Although casting cost of 7 and then having to roll above move characteristic 

It just seems too tough to use in NH. The spell is tough to cast, there's no way to buff her casting, then you have to beat the movement. Maybe she'd be better in a LoN army where a mega character can cast her spell. 

Nah, no use for Myrmourn Banshees, they're just a gimmick... 

Are you kidding? They're one of our best units. They're not super expensive, they unbind spells well and they have quality attacks, while also being relatively speedy. Plus they're as survivable as grimghasts or Bladegheist, there just aren't a lot of them. 

You take 12, teleport them up outside of 9'' of their spellcasters and wait. They either don't cast a spell or you unbind it with your +3 and remember, hero phase before anything else so they should get to unbind before taking much if any damage. Here is where placement and target selection is key, if you placed them correctly they should survive. This goes for any of our units, we're really quite squishy and it's easy to shift all but the largest hordes of grims or rasps, Nighthaunt take more skill to play than just throwing things at the enemy.

Myrmourn banshees are downright scary, they can do a lot of damage and are great anti magic. But place them well, keep them safe in the underworld till you need them, when they pop up make sure you have cogs off so they have a good charge chance or alternatively put a mortality glass in front of them so it's harder to charge them, or make sure they'll get healed easily by any number of our healing tricks.

Take care of your banshees and they'll take care of you! 

• Like 3

Hi

maybe im just new to Nighthaunts or maybe it’s because I suck at mathhammer but I really find it hard to understand how Hexwraith can cost 160pt.

320pts for a unit of 10 seems extreme compared to the units other factions can get for those points (like 10 blightkings or Sequetors). As a matter of a facts I do not see why one shouldn’t bring 6 spirit hosts instead? Leaving 80 points for other stuff. 

So fans of Hexwraiths what is the fuzz about? Sure they are fast but do they deliver? Is it just to bring the deathstrider battalion? If so, is it really worth it?

So after having some really dissapointing games lately with Nighthaunt I've decided to give one more list a chance to see if it can perform in any capacity except underwhelming. Here's the prototype of the list:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spirit Drain
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Spirit Torment (120)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Behemoths
Black Coach (280)

Battalions
Deathriders (130)
Chainguard (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

Though I will probably switch Shademist to the Torment and take another Lore on the Guardian. It will probably be casting Spectral Lore 90% of the game.

Hi everyone,

new AoS player here. Started technically with the release of 2nd Ed, but only playing regularily since 3 or 4 months. I have been playing DoK and Nighthaunt, though I want to focus more on the NH side of things atm since Daughters seem to be really broken.

I'd very much appreciate some help deciding on how to expand my army. Currently I have the following:

30 Chainrasp
10 Reaper
12 Banshees
5 Hexwraith
3 Spirit Host
10 Stalker
2 Chainghast
The various heroes from the 2nd Ed start box + Olynder & the 2 Harrows.

What I'm mostly battling with is deciding what the meat of the army (battleline & elites) should be.

I will definitely get 10 more Chainrasp and most likely the Coach. I know the Coach isn't that hot atm, but it is one of the models that made me start this faction design wise so I need it in my collection. (That doesn't mean I'll have to field it every game).

I came to the conclusion already that Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts aren't that hot at the moment and can probably be excluded from building the army core. That leaves me with the decision of a mix between Chainrasps, Reapers and Bladegeists.

Some thoughts I have on those:

Chainrasps: I like them, but outside the ones you get from the start boxes they are expensive as hell. So I think I'll leave it at 40. The battallion with 2x20 looks pretty interesting, but from my experience a unit of 20 can relatively easily wipe completely between two hero phases so I never get to cast the healing spell. Thoughts on Chainrasp unit sizes? If I were to commit to 2x40 the battallion would probably be a given for me.

Reaper: At 10 they are extremely sqishy, but 30 seem like a solid amount of bodies. With 2" range and 8" move I should also be able to get a lot of models into combat range. With the buff being easy to pull off too they seem like an obvious choice. Fielding 2x30 seems most appealing to me atm, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.

Bladegeists: I proxied my Reapers as Bladegeists for two games and had a really hard time with them. They also drop like flies (though this might be much better with their batallion) and it's hard to get many models in range with the large bases and only 1" attack. I also found it really hard to keep the Spirit Torment in range to get their buff. If I let the Geists charge it feels like they are practically always going to be out of range during that crucial first attack. Unless I manage to charge with the ST too. But I didn't have any luck with that. Maybe I should get the endless spell box and chromatic cogs if I'm going to run with these guys. Am I just playing them wrong? I could perhaps imagine it gets easier to keep the buff with more practice. What is attractive about them is that I'd have to buy less boxes in relation to the points. But then again, they also don't fill my battleline requirements. How are people fitting these into their army?

I'd appreciate any comments!

Hey, folks.

Another new AoS player here! I used to play a lot of Warhammer Fantasy back in the day, before drifting off towards the end of 8th edition. I’m looking to get into AoS with a Nighthaunt force converted from some Bretonnian miniatures that I bought before they were squatted. The issue has that I don’t have very many of them, and acquiring more is an expensive hassle these days.

That said, would a low model-count Nighthaunt force consisting primarily of Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths and leveraging the per-model recursion of Lady Olynder and a Black Coach be viable, or do I really need something like a unit of Grimghasts to avoid being torn apart by hordes? It doesn’t have to be super-competitive, just something that stands a decent chance against the average opponent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Expendable Grunt: Try to find at least the Nighthaunt half of the Soul Wars starter set. It should be available cheaply on the second market from people who only need the Stormcasts from that box. That will give you at least some bodies to put some meat on your army and the most essential heroes.

• Thanks 1

So I'm going to be leaving this list here for some critique and feed back, but in general, I have a good feeling about this list! Basically, the idea is to use Grimghasts to take a enemy objective, than throw down Olynder+Execution Horde to hold it. Reiknor is there to support the Grimghasts by throwing down MW's on tougher foes, as well as by giving them Deathless Spirits and Mystic Shield for those re-rolls. He will also be casting Chronomatic Cogs when necessary, and than hopefully being healed by the Spectral Tether on the GoS. 

The Executioner will be getting the midnight tome to help throw some magic around and dispell enemy spells that target either him or Lady O. He is the general for the Lord of Geists ability, which helps him keep up the Spirit host bunker that he and Lady O will be deployed in. My only concern is that the Spirit Hosts wont be very tough in 3 units of 3, but thats what ever. He himself is a very hard ****** to kill, as he will be sitting on a comfortable -2 to hit 4+/6++ for regular wounds and a 5+/6+× against MW's.  Spells and artifacts are what is the most contested in my list, but I wouldn't be opposed to maybe dropping the cogs and downing the reapers to 20, in order to get a spirit host up to 6 models instead of 3.

Thoughts?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern

Battleline
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Battalions
Chainguard (120)
Execution Horde (100)