AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Tomorrow Im playing a 1250 points game with a list that is it nothing special... except the fact that it will be my first time ever playing a whole painted army. Only started playing this game 4 months ago, when I saw the ghosts and loved them at first sight. Before that I wasnt really into mini wargaming or painting: Ive just played star wars legion for 2 months or so, and Im only 5 or so months into painting. I know my minis suck, but I just find the process of painting relaxing and Im enjoying it more and more. And Ive never thought I would be able to field a completely painted army, so im really excited! This is the list, if anyone is curious

1 rekinor

1 guardian of souls

1 Knights of shrouds on ethereal steed

1 spirit torment

10 bladegheist revenants x2

20 chainrasp horde 

10 chainrasp horde

1x Aethervoid pendulum

I know the list is not particularly good, in fact cogs would be better, but again it is completely painted wich was the point (cogs are unpainted yet :( ). and it should look great on the table. Cant wait! Next one on  my to paint list is 30 reapers, and that would be long xD Maybe I take some pictures, but im really shy about them so I cant promise I would bring them here ? 

Edited by miguel_fernan

Hi guys. tomorrow is the big day. I face the doks. the only thing I know is that there will be 90 witches and at least one cauldron. I deploy:
olynder
2xguardian
1 knight of shrouds
2x40 chainrasp
1x10 chainrasp
2x4 chainghast
8 myrmourn
10 dreadscythe
the idea is to thin out the witches with the chainghast and break down the cauldron with the myrmourn and olynder. so you can then hold the collision with the chainrasp. dreadscythe will be wild. they will enter the field where it will be needed. I was surprised by the chainghast, according to my accounts these boy in 4 can make 60 attacks. they could be our salvation because of the cost. for 160 you have a unit able to do 20-30 wounds, if you die then you lost a unit from the ridiculously low cost. I thought to replace the dreadscythe with a third chainghast unit, but the 60 attacks can only be done on 25mm bases, the bigger the opposing side, the less they are effective. they can still be the best answer nosyra against the opposing hordes.

Well.  Oh my.  

Just played my first 2000 point Nighthaunt game. How in the heck do people remember all the twisty-turny fiddly bits???

I tried to make a super simple list and still ended up forgetting a ton of things.  I like the models, but if I'm going to have to remember that much each phase, all the time, I'm not sure how I'll get games played in a timely fashion.  Yes, reference sheets will help, but yowza!

It was just this:

Mounted Knight with +1+1 sword

The other mounted hero

The jailor guy

The wizard lantern guy

40 chainrasps

30 sickle guys

20 sword guys

16 horse face guys

6 spirit hosts

The Cogs (never got them to cast)

Pretty simple list, but wow was it convoluted. I won, but sheesh!

Any advice on keeping things straight?

Since a lot of the abilities require models to be wholly within 12" of a character I find the clear plastic ruler that came with the Soul Wars box invaluable.  A 9" is also helpful.

I also use a cheat sheet with the hero phase order on it and then counters/markers for everything. 

With practice it comes together slowly although after three months I'm still making odd mistakes.

5 hours ago, Sutek said:

I also use a cheat sheet with the hero phase order on it and then counters/markers for everything. 

With practice it comes together slowly although after three months I'm still making odd mistakes.

This is my approach in general as well. This time, though, it seems somehow more crazy and hard. Dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't recall it ever being so frustrating to keep track of an army before.

On Sunday I played against the DoKs, deployed 60 witches and 30 Slaughter, 2x5 Doomfire, 2 cauldrons and two Hag Queen, used the Hag Nar which gave the second save to the 5 within 7 "from the general I wore 2x40 chainrasp, 1x10 chainrasp, 2x4 chainghast, 10 dreadscythe, 1 Knight, 2 Guardian and Olynder and chronomatic cogs, 8 Myrmourn.
Match won after 3 rounds, scenario I do not remember the name, there were 5 objectives, 4 deployed in a diamond and a central one that was worth 2 points, the other 1 point, but if you checked them in pairs (1-3, 2-4) they were worth 3 points.
Without doing a boring battle report, I simply write the notes:
Olynder: Useless or almost, he killed a Hag Queen in 2 rounds, 2TURNS. Then he did not do anything else
CHAINRASP: The happy note is theirs, the first unit loaded with the help of the guardian the first unit of witches, twenty-four wounds done and the rest of the unit eliminated from the shock test, then it was loaded by the second unit, suffered altogether only 13 losses, then recovered. The second unit of 40 was loaded by slaughter, only 8 injuries suffered and control of the maintained objective.
CHAINGHAST: Not received, but through no fault of their own, they are not literally served, the first unit remained hidden behind a wall until the third round, but the game ended before it could load the slaughter, the second was not deployed.
DREADSCYTHE and 10 CHAINRASP: They served the purpose, using them as bait I took my opponent to move the first 30 witches to the center, on the central target, where I then loaded with the 40 unit, so he discovered the side left of the table where I went to take the target with the Myrmourn and Olynder. In this way, I started accumulating points from the first round.
General report, I finally understood how to play the army, something I have yet to try, chainghast for example, but for sure 2 guardians and 80 chainrasp will be the central focus of my army. Also in the future I will remove olynder and insert 1 general dreadblade, I have to focus on mobility to get the better of my opponents.

I also had another crack at Daughters yesterday. While I made mistakes of my own, I just think they so substantially outclass Nighthaunt that it's an uphill struggle. I think my Grimghast Reapers killed themselves more than they were killed by elves- between bladed bucklers and Martyr's Sacrifice I was taking bucketloads of mortal wounds every time I put the hurt on Sisters or Witches. And speaking of which, good grief, this was the first time I have ever seen someone roll 120 dice. It is dispiriting, I can tell you. I managed to only (!) take 18 wounds on my Chainrasps in one combat phase, thanks to Shademist and Mystic Shield, which is a potent combo I will remember. Grimghasts are absolute blenders but we already knew this. My brand new Guardian of Souls w/ Mortality Glass did sweet FA, my old reliable GoS w/ Nightmare Lantern cast all his spells and returned 6 Reapers in one roll, so I think he's runner up MVP. Mounted Knight of Shroud's command ability is excellent, but my usually-dependable Spirit Host was mismanaged and died in one round of Cauldron of Blood attacks. Bah.

Pointers for next time:

- get more money, then buy 30 more Grimghast Reapers.

- never rely on new models to do anything.

- never cast an Endless Spell unless you will benefit from it that damned turn. 

- DoK will most likely wind up getting a charge anyway, so instead of trying to prevent it, focus on objectives and controlling which charges they can make. 

- really have to do as much damage as possible in turns 1 and 2. Once those girls start rerolling 1s to hit, goodnight sweet ghost.

- or just don't play DoK until after they get nerfed ? 

Hey ya'll, looking for a little feedback on this list; I thought I'd drop it off here, before going out.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Lightshard of the Harvest Moon
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed(140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
4 x Chainghasts (160)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)

Battalions
Chainguard (120)
Shroudguard (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

OK Team. Had 2 games today with my death stalkers list. In both games my dice were horrendous, literally the worse they've been for a long time. 

Game 1 against Tzeentch. Won on VPs, 14-6. But definitely lost on model count. In one magic phase alone I suffered 30 mortal wounds, 25 of which I couldn't save due to heroes being sniped and not having any heroes in range for death saves. 20 of those mortal wounds were against a 30 unit of grims, the rest ran to battleshock. Summary: We are really weak to mortal wound bombardment. 

Game 2 against FEC monster mash. Lost horrendously 0-31. Opponent had 2 terrorgheist ghoul kings, a zombie dragon ghoul king and Arkhan. His general had doppelganger. First turn, 30 grims made a 12" charge on a soul marked zombie dragon and killed it dead. Next turn the 30 grims were killed with Curse of Years ?. Lost priority in every turn and it went downhill very quickly from there, especially when he summoned in lots of extra stuff as well. Summary: Against multiple big wound monsters with special relics allied with a super strong magic combo with a load of summoning, we suck serious plums. Nothing I could do did anything. Chatting with my opponent afterwards, both agreed that I did everything right to try and tackle the monsters, just lack the significant punch to do it, even with 2 x 30 grims ?

Overall Summary: Discovered a new found super weakness to mortal wounds and confirmed my thoughts that we have no real counter to monster mash lists, strong magic or summoning spam. Also my pure horse/death riders list would have been even worse against what I faced today. Definitely need to go back to the drawing board with list building. On a positive note, running both the standard and anniversary GoS together was a winning combo (well on one game at least) . 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

On a positive note, running both the standard and anniversary GoS together was a winning combo (well on one game at least) . 

This is good to hear as I'm planning on this as well. 

Sorry about the games though...  You're still a KoS to me. ??

We could really use a nice terrain piece that gave us a boost in some way as I do not see any major changes coming to us anytime soon... ☹

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

OK Team. Had 2 games today with my death stalkers list. In both games my dice were horrendous, literally the worse they've been for a long time. 

Game 1 against Tzeentch. Won on VPs, 14-6. But definitely lost on model count. In one magic phase alone I suffered 30 mortal wounds, 25 of which I couldn't save due to heroes being sniped and not having any heroes in range for death saves. 20 of those mortal wounds were against a 30 unit of grims, the rest ran to battleshock. Summary: We are really weak to mortal wound bombardment. 

Game 2 against FEC monster mash. Lost horrendously 0-31. Opponent had 2 terrorgheist ghoul kings, a zombie dragon ghoul king and Arkhan. His general had doppelganger. First turn, 30 grims made a 12" charge on a soul marked zombie dragon and killed it dead. Next turn the 30 grims were killed with Curse of Years ?. Lost priority in every turn and it went downhill very quickly from there, especially when he summoned in lots of extra stuff as well. Summary: Against multiple big wound monsters with special relics allied with a super strong magic combo with a load of summoning, we suck serious plums. Nothing I could do did anything. Chatting with my opponent afterwards, both agreed that I did everything right to try and tackle the monsters, just lack the significant punch to do it, even with 2 x 30 grims ?

Overall Summary: Discovered a new found super weakness to mortal wounds and confirmed my thoughts that we have no real counter to monster mash lists, strong magic or summoning spam. Also my pure horse/death riders list would have been even worse against what I faced today. Definitely need to go back to the drawing board with list building. On a positive note, running both the standard and anniversary GoS together was a winning combo (well on one game at least) . 

Sorry to hear about your games!

In regards to dealing with Magic, That may be why we've seen a few top lists with Myrmourn Banshees. They are pretty good witha  +2 dispel for 8 of them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

You're still a KoS to me. ??

Haha. It's merely a case of serious mis-match on the 2nd game, like bringing a blunt twig to a gun fight ?. The 2 GoS made the grims horrible, one healed the other moved them out of combat and let them charge again. 

16 minutes ago, Neffelo said:

+2 dispel for 8 of them

I ran a unit of 12 myrmourns in this list, but when your opponent has destiny dice or is next to arcane terrain and gets a +3 to cast and unbind, it makes magic an uphill battle, especially when neither of your opponents roll less than an 8 for every magic spell cast ?. Seriously dice gods were massively against me today. Myrmourns are handy but are expensive and squishy AF and ineffective against decent magic shenanigans of Arkhan/Nagash or Tzeentch. 

Overall the magic isn't too much of an issue, it's not with every faction. It's the mortal wound weakness and lack of effective counters to big monsters with stuff like ethereal save or doppelganger cloak. And yes you can take the nulling artefact but it's reliant on a squishy hero being in the right place at the right time. When a big unit has 14+ wounds, a 3+ save, re-rolling 1s and healing itself each turn, whilst putting out enough damage to decimate most of our own units in a turn, it's hard to figure out an effective counter that isn't just another 30 grims ?

Also, no need for sorrow on the games. I won the first one and lost the second. It's still a better win rate than some of the other players having games today from my group ?

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1

As I’m still quite inexperienced with AoS and my Nighthaunts I would be very happy to receive some advice regarding the Cogs strategy.  If I understand well after I cast it my opponent also gets the advantage of move and charge bonus?

So even if I manage to get the first charge with the Cogs due to the alternate combat sequence my opponent can attack me next if I do more than one charge. Then in his turn he also gets all the bonuses of the Cogs and can also charge me. So where is my advantage?

Would be really thankful if someone can give me some advice on this strategy. 

Thanks. 

The advantage is really that if you are a hardcore melee army, it really helps you. Like iron jaws.   If the whole aim and purpose of your army is to make it into combat and failing to do that is bad, then use cogs.  If you are that kind of army you WANT your opponent in combat with you.  So you don’t care if they come charging in. And because of alternating activation you don’t have to worry about eating all chargers first like in 40k

so it’s really just about what you are trying to do with your army. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Ashes

When you are up against an opponent with a lot of shooting, or fast movement, or an escalating power-per-turn mechanic like Idoenth or DoK (I think?) you want to get into melee with them as fast as possible and do as much damage as you can. 

You can also use the cogs to give yourself another spellcast each turn AND  reroll your armor saves for that wizard, if you dont need to use it for charge range

• Thanks 2