AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

5 hours ago, Ashes said:

Regarding the underperformance of Nighthaunts some of you mentioned is this purely something that happened at tournament play? Because so far in my games (casual) everything felt quite balanced (ok against my DoK buddy it’s hard, but due to me better focusing on objectives it often worked out for my ghosts). I also get this feeling from most of the current battlereports on YouTube. 

the army has problems, there are situations in which it can do well, but they are few, for example your opponent must have a low bravery and be an elite army, so with a few attacks. When playing with friends you always tend to play respecting the two conditions described above, if you play LoN with your friend tend to deploy Blood Knight, Vargheist, 2-3 VLOZD, because they are the most beautiful, most powerful models, etc. competitive is the exact opposite, your opponent will point to a horde that hurts with saturation and characters that can exploit the magic, our army is passed off against these things, for example a trivial spell that inflicts d6 mortal wounds, or also d3, can take away an entire unit, since you do not have wizards to dispel and you have a monofilament army, so every wound is a model less, and we do not have the possibility to recover wounds, especially those suffered in hero phases or shooting phase. We do not know if these problems are agreable, but meanwhile we try, aware that without a review of the battletome we will always be among the worst armies in circulation. But we have the most beautiful models of all. AHAHAHAH

4 hours ago, Kokoshi said:

To me it has to be translated as the second option : "cannot fight in the combat phase unless all other enemy units that are eligible to fight have already done so".

First option would have been "unless you have fought with all other allied units eligible to fight".

So RAW a Deepkin unit would not be able to fight before you have fought with all your units.

nope!

''that unit cannot fight in the combat phase unless ALL OTHER ENEMY UNITS that are eligible...''

Since they specified ennemy units, they have to choose all of their units first and than can choose the one who is caged. 

So with the Deepkins exemple when they charge on turn 3 they have to choose all of their other units first to attack before yours and than choose the one caged still before yours because it's the last one eligible to fight for them.

14 minutes ago, Cursed said:

nope!

''that unit cannot fight in the combat phase unless ALL OTHER ENEMY UNITS that are eligible...''

Since they specified ennemy units, they have to choose all of their units first and than can choose the one who is caged. 

So with the Deepkins exemple when they charge on turn 3 they have to choose all of their other units first to attack before yours and than choose the one caged still before yours because it's the last one eligible to fight for them.

Ah, I see what you mean… The question is, does "Enemy" refers to the Nighthaunt's player enemy (thus, the caged unit's player), or to the caged unit's player enemy (thus, the Nighthaunt player) ? As the first part of the sentence refers to the caged unit, it is a bit disturbing to know the answer… I checked the Designer's commentary on GW Community, but no answer…
Do you know any other rule where the "Enemy" word has quite a blurred meaning in that kind of sentence ? In these situations, has a FAQ clarified the answer ?

6 hours ago, Kokoshi said:

Ah, I see what you mean… The question is, does "Enemy" refers to the Nighthaunt's player enemy (thus, the caged unit's player), or to the caged unit's player enemy (thus, the Nighthaunt player) ? As the first part of the sentence refers to the caged unit, it is a bit disturbing to know the answer… I checked the Designer's commentary on GW Community, but no answer…
Do you know any other rule where the "Enemy" word has quite a blurred meaning in that kind of sentence ? In these situations, has a FAQ clarified the answer ?

you can always send a message to GW directly! they will give you an answer! Sadly GW have always made awkward wording for their rules, so it's hard to tell what is the true intention.

Something I've found :

core rules designer's commentary page 6 :

Sometimes an ability will refer to ‘this model’ or ‘this
unit’, and sometimes to ‘that model’ or ‘that unit’. Is there
a difference?
A: Yes. When an ability says ‘this model’ or ‘this unit’,
it is referring to the model or unit to which the ability
applies. When an ability says ‘that model’ or ‘that unit’,
it is referring to a model or unit that was referred to
earlier in the same ability.

exact wording of soul cage :

Soul Cage has a casting value of 6. If successfully
cast, pick an enemy unit within 12" of the caster
that is visible to them. Until the start of your
next hero phase, that unit cannot retreat. In
addition, until the start of your next hero phase,
that unit cannot fight in the combat phase
unless all other enemy units that are eligible to
fight have already done so.

I know it's pretty vague but it's the only thing they gave us about wich unit they are talking about in their rules! :/ So I still think your best bet is to asked GW directly for a confirmation!

• Like 1

Lets see if we can fix Glaivewraith's; 

Marked for slaughter:
When setting this unit up, you may select an enemy unit; all attacks made by this unit against the marked unit have a damage characteristic of 2. If the marked unit is destroyed, you may select another.

Would this make Glaivewraiths useable? I feel like it would give them a better role as squishy hero/Warmachine/Shooting unit killers and give them a seperate identity from Bladeghiests.

Thoughts?

Another thought is that the Drummer should let them re-roll failed charges, or give them an additional 3 or 2 inches to their charge.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:05 PM, JackStreicher said:

So The new Bladegheist Model (500th store) is a simple Infantry Model.

i can attach a video of it as proof ^^

My brother is currently in Japan and bought me the mini (pretty steep price there ~~ 40€)

her Warscroll:

B7629E5C-5527-486B-902F-C0190F098EC0.jpeg

Well it seems I will be returning mine. Not paying $55 for one model, with no rules. GTFO GW. 

Well we knew it was likely to be the case. GW weren't going to give people a one-day-only character for the game. It's not normal for them and a bad service to any who were not there on the day to buy one. You can always use it as a stand in hero of your own choice or as an alternative model for a hero ^^ 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Well we knew it was likely to be the case. GW weren't going to give people a one-day-only character for the game. It's not normal for them and a bad service to any who were not there on the day to buy one. You can always use it as a stand in hero of your own choice or as an alternative model for a hero ^^ 

True, I hadn't read this thread when I picked it up. 
I don run the unit currently at all, it doesn't really have a place in my current list. 

I figured as it was a single model, getting a release like the Alternate GoS that it would be a hero of some form. 
Thought I would grab it so I had the option down the track. 

All good, I have the receipt, and my local gw is pretty chill. I'll turn it into something useful.  

2 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Yep. Another missed opportunity. Im bulking up my Revenants and was really looking foreward to some type of synergy

Yeah I am a bit sad about Ghosts at the moment. They had such a cool opportunity to make something unique. 
But it feels a bit bland. And it is such a shame that our own units are just plain better in a Undead soup list. 

All good, still going to finish them and take some names. Not ideal if competitive is your jam though.

Does anyone have a strong enough opinion on the black coach that is it should not be in tournament lists? 
I love the model and reallly want to inc it in my list, but he aint cheap. 

Hey guys im preping for a tourney in a few weeks and was wondering if i could get some cc o  this list, not to sure on the atifacts, im thinking the latern of nagashazar on the GoS what do you guus think?

Nighthaunt
Allegiance: Nighthaunt - Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
UNITS
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
8 x Myrmourn Banshees (160)
BATTALIONS
Shroudguard (110)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 131
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ALLIES: 0/400

14 hours ago, Connelj2 said:

Hey guys im preping for a tourney in a few weeks and was wondering if i could get some cc o  this list, not to sure on the atifacts, im thinking the latern of nagashazar on the GoS what do you guus think?

Nighthaunt
Allegiance: Nighthaunt - Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
UNITS
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
8 x Myrmourn Banshees (160)
BATTALIONS
Shroudguard (110)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 131
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Hi there! That list is really close to what I play, and I really like it. The changes Im thinking of  are playing with vampire lord over KoS on ethereal because I feel it is a better adition to what the list is trying to do. And also Im thinking of cutting the banshees and adding another Guardian of Souls, as I feel it is just too good to not want another one.

Edited by miguel_fernan
  • Like 1

All right folks; I've figured it out.

We need a hero figure that provides a reroll armor aura.

A 4+ rerollable invuln isnt too OP, but definitely adds up in a horde army. 

Hero based 5 wound (or 7 wound Unique so unable to spam) is still QUITE easy to snipe, so not insurmountable for your opponent

Provides a threat saturation so you have to systematically take our defenses down, the armor aura, then the healers, then the troops.

Extends the attrition game in our favor as we are meant to function.

Tactical gameplay; armor aura hero gets hurt - command point teleport him to safety and heal him. (HARROW)

I would say some form of Banshee; the aura and a Briar Queen ranged attack would be perfect.

Direshriek Banshee 'unique'

180 points

M8" Wnds7 Sv 4+

You may re-roll armor saves for wounds made by enemies within 12" of this model.

Enemies within 12" of this model suffer -1 bravery

Chill Dagger melee profile

6" dmg 1 rend -3  3 attacks shooting scream

Counts as a tomb banshee for shrieker host battalion

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Confused 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:46 PM, Undeadly said:

Thoughts?

2 damage is too OP for a 0 rend unit. Re-roll charges is good, but the thing that would fix glaives is a 10"-12" move with a -1 rend. That alone would make them worth taking. 

20 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Direshriek Banshee

Love the idea of this, but 7 wounds makes it a super named character, I think you could just make a single spell that allows a unit to re-roll failed saving throws. Our spell lore is awful. My lizard playing friend said to me that I shouldn't complain, at least ghosts have a dedicated spell lore, then he read over the spells, now he let's me moan about the spells ?. Tbh I think revamping the spell lore to include some decent debuffs and to make one of the endless spells a utility spell that let's you re-roll saving throws would be enough to keep us afloat for a while. 

In other news.... 

IMG_20181025_203115.jpg

I hadn't even considered that the date was so special ?. Luckily I'll be playing against FEC, so either way it will be a win for our lord and saviour Nagash. 

Edit: Just realised that it will be all hallows eve, eve on Tuesday. But now I'm going to have to arrange a game for Halloween now. 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General

So I finally decided to play my ghosts after sitting on a (admittedly) non competitive list for about 4 months while I played wanderers.

I played a eel deepkin list with the high king, which I had previously lost to with my wanderers.

List I ran was

Lady O 

Knight of shrouds on steed with ruler of spirit hosts and balefire blade

Briar queen

Lord executioner with heandsmen relic

Spirit torment

Guardian of souls with bacon of nagashizzar

2 units of 20 chainrasps

10 reapers

4 myrmourne banshees (which I left at home)

4 glavewraith stalkers

2  chainghasts

Thorns of the briar queen

2 units of 5 bladeghiests

Shroudguard and chainguard.

So as you can see, wasnt the best list, and I forgot alot of what lady O brings to the table. Still I managed a win on points which was great and I killed his turtle, his king  both units of sharks and two of his four eel units (one spear one shield).