AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

@Lou_Cypher Sore subject buddy :  P

We've been b*tchin about it all morning

If you dont already have a foot KoShrouds you could use Gork as a neat stand-in for a Revenant themed army... but yeah Im fairly pissed since I prepaid to get one and its completely useless. Now Ill just have a spare Revenant sitting on the shelf no matter how I build the force.

Probably just gonna pay the 18 points and have 1 unit be 1 Revenant over the cap as long as opponent agrees. (11 instead of 10, 16 instead of 15, as I dont run units of 20)

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Just ordered Garkorr, and I will most certainly be using her as a Knight of Shrouds; I want to run Reiknor, but under a different name, as the fluffy leader of my army. I also plan to try and buy a KoS head and stick on Reiknor, because those bat-wing helms are the bee's knees.

• Like 1

Went to a tourney today, with fairly meh results. 

Slaves to Darkness with Mammoth; barely beat due to burning his objectives last turn

Deepkin Elves; rediculously OP horsesh*t lol. All I'll say.

Mirror match vs nearly identical Nighthaunt army; dice crapped out HARD. Though I was able to wipe half a 30x grim unit with Reikenor's targeting specific model ability and subsequent unit cohesion check.

2 torments and a GoS healed exactly; 4 wounds total in 3 games.

Chronomantic Cogs being cast by Reik with a self-harm +3; succesful zero times.

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

4 wounds total in 3 games

This has always been my argument for why our healing is guff, because it's not guaranteed in the slightest unless your general is taking RotSH command trait. 

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

succesful zero times

That is just bad luck for sure. Sounds like you might need to burn the dice. 

Any chance you can send me over the info from the tournament for my table of data? 

17 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Anyone play with 60-90 grimghast yet?

olynder

k ightt of shrouds on steed

guardian soul

60 grimghast

2x10 chainrasp

double mourngul

I’m running 60 grims in a tournament, but under legions of Nagash. Makes them more durable of course but actually reduces their offensive output a touch since I don’t get the guardian’s to wound buff. They’re still rather stabby though. 2-1 after the first day and an impressively awful dice showing vs daughters. Like I didn’t cast hand of dust. At all. Not he guessed right. It just never cast

18 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Anyone play with 60-90 grimghast yet?

I run 60 for more comp games along with 40 blades. I have a list with 150 grims (using proxies), yet no one willing to play against it ?

Tbh I think everyone is expecting a points increase or nerf of some sort. Getting more than 60 at the moment isn't worth the investment. But if the nerfing is minor I might be silly and fulfill my dream of running 150 in a list ?

10 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Went to a tourney today, with fairly meh results. 

Slaves to Darkness with Mammoth; barely beat due to burning his objectives last turn

Deepkin Elves; rediculously OP horsesh*t lol. All I'll say.

Mirror match vs nearly identical Nighthaunt army; dice crapped out HARD. Though I was able to wipe half a 30x grim unit with Reikenor's targeting specific model ability and subsequent unit cohesion check.

2 torments and a GoS healed exactly; 4 wounds total in 3 games.

Chronomantic Cogs being cast by Reik with a self-harm +3; succesful zero times.

The more I hear stuff like this, the more I think that the "support" heroes aren't truly worth it when you could just get more troops. I'll still always take a GoS and Reikenor, but I'm really not sold on any other characters at this point.

I've asked this question on one of the spooky fb groups. What is everyone doing about bases and basing?

We have some awesome bases with the ETB models, but then plain boring bases for everything else. Has anyone found any good 3rd party suppliers making spooky basing materials? I feel GW have forced us to have some models on bases with gravestone and roses and stuff, yet haven't provided anyway of getting consistency throughout the army. 

I have also looked at not putting the ETB models on the fancy bases, but some of them are so intertwined with the bases (such as the myrmourns) that there is no way to separate them from the fancy bases. So what is everyone else doing?

39 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

The more I hear stuff like this, the more I think that the "support" heroes aren't truly worth it when you could just get more troops. I'll still always take a GoS and Reikenor, but I'm really not sold on any other characters at this point.

Eh, I see the support heros as having some value, and I would class the Mounted KoS as a more combat focused hero when properly built. I usually give him the Balefire blade, giving him a reliable 3 damage; when properly paired, he can be rather deadly for a 120 point model. Plus, his buff can be a massive bonus to pretty much any unit. 

Spirit Torment has impressed me more as a Chainrasp baby sitter, more than anything else, but he's good to have around. That 2" range lets him help fend off enemies that get clogged with the rasps.

Hi there! Long time reader, first time asking. I see a lot of lists running vampire lord, but they dont specify wich version. And as I dont want to buy more than one, wich is the consensus here, wich one is better? I looked at the one with ethereal ride because it is the more similar to KoS on ethereal steed. And thanks in advance for all the answers!

2 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

I've asked this question on one of the spooky fb groups. What is everyone doing about bases and basing?

We have some awesome bases with the ETB models, but then plain boring bases for everything else. Has anyone found any good 3rd party suppliers making spooky basing materials? I feel GW have forced us to have some models on bases with gravestone and roses and stuff, yet haven't provided anyway of getting consistency throughout the army. 

I have also looked at not putting the ETB models on the fancy bases, but some of them are so intertwined with the bases (such as the myrmourns) that there is no way to separate them from the fancy bases. So what is everyone else doing?

I'm still trying to learn how to paint, but I'm hoping to base my Nighthaunt so that it looks like they're coming out of the fog. Something like this link: https://imgur.com/e6uDltB

1 hour ago, Undeadly said:

Eh, I see the support heros as having some value, and I would class the Mounted KoS as a more combat focused hero when properly built. I usually give him the Balefire blade, giving him a reliable 3 damage; when properly paired, he can be rather deadly for a 120 point model. Plus, his buff can be a massive bonus to pretty much any unit. 

Spirit Torment has impressed me more as a Chainrasp baby sitter, more than anything else, but he's good to have around. That 2" range lets him help fend off enemies that get clogged with the rasps.

The mounted KoS is 140 pts. My problem is the characters simply get targeted so quickly. My opponents and I were all brand new to the game, and they still took out my characters by the end of the 2nd turn. I don't see a way to keep them alive and I feel like their buffs are nice, but not mandatory for our army. Reapers, Bladegheists, Harridans, and Myrmourns all don't mind getting buffed by characters but can also work on their own.

36 minutes ago, miguel_fernan said:

Hi there! Long time reader, first time asking. I see a lot of lists running vampire lord, but they dont specify wich version. And as I dont want to buy more than one, wich is the consensus here, wich one is better? I looked at the one with ethereal ride because it is the more similar to KoS on ethereal steed. And thanks in advance for all the answers!

If I include one, I'm going with one that flies so that it has the same movement capabilities as the rest of our army. I don't think the one riding an ethereal steed gets Ethereal or Fly.

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone, 

I would like to share with you an army list that I would like to build. 

I don't really know if this list can be competitive. I would like to have your thoughts about it.

Thank you in advance.

Allegiance : Nighthaunt

Realms : Ulgu 

Leaders

- Lady Olynder Mortach of the grief (240)  Life stealer 

- Spirit Torment (120) + Talisman of the watcher

- Knight of shrouds (120) + Sword of Jugdement 

- Guardian of souls (140) + Wychlight lanterns  or Midnight Tome Soul cage

Units

- Bladegheist Revenant x 20 (320)

-Bladegheist Revenant x 5 (90)

- Chainrasp Horde x 40 (280)

- Chainrasp Horde x 20 (160)

- Chainrasp Horde x 10 (80)

- Chainghast x 2 (80)

Bataillons :

Shroudguards (110)

Condemned (150)

Extra PC  : 4 

How to deploy ? I would like to deploy Olynder with 20 chainrasp which will be her body guard. The Guardian of souls & The chainghast into 40 chainrasp horde. Finally 20 Bladegheist with the spirit torment and the knight of shrouds. The others unit stay in the underworld

The Main objective is to be able to take fast the objective and keep them under my control with buffed units to counter attack because of rerolls.

Is it possible with 5 step to conclude my deployment ?

12 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@CanHammer-darren you might find the mourngul to he a bit underwhelming on the table. Try it out but he's not the best use of 300pts. Arkhan is solid as an ally, but going under 2CP when we don't have any summons might put you at a disadvantage 

That’s too bad. I have 3 of them haha. 

Ok so I swapped him out for 20 bladegheists and quicksilver swords