AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

5 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Revenant with 1 extra attack

As I mentioned, I'm going to work on some home brew rules, nothing OP and stupid, but standard blade stats, 5 wounds for being a hero, a special attack with the sickle (maybe same as the torment's attack) and a single special buff rule, such as blades ignore battleshock if wholly within 9" of model, so only 1 big unit or two tiny units can ever benefit. Make it around 120pts-140pts.

Yeah, but all heroes have 4-5 wounds, so she would need to have that at least. The extra sickle weapon she has I was thinking of an 1-2 (probably just 1) attacks, 3+, 3+, -2, D3 damage, as well as the normal tomb blade attacks. The battleshock I'm thinking is too OP, but having a generic aura ability that only buffs other bladegheists for 140pts I don't think is OP at all.

The trick to homebrew is to make them OK. It's a bit like the new briar queen from underworlds. Her AoS rules are OK, they're not great but they're not rubbish either, it's generally OK. If you stick to something like that with it's warscroll, over cost it by 20pts, then the majority of players will be happy to play out (outside of comp play obviously). Where as if you make it super OP, give it a unreasonably cheap points cost, most players will tell you where to stick your remote controlled yellow steam tank ?

No love for Ton'Ka eh? Tough crowd : P

but yeah Im pretty disappointed. Like getting a $30 necron warrior... Id rather have 10 more bladesgheists than 1 alternate troop that wont fit in detachment size.

already pulled strings and paid in advance for 1 though

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

Was personally hoping for at least a 100 point brawler like the Cairn Wraith with  a small Revenant- specific aura or baked-in ability. Perhaps able to be the leader of a Shroudguard battalion rather than established choices.

Or at the very least a squad lead like the Extoller.

Le sigh. Here's hoping that reliable source was wrong!!

Edited by Neck-Romantic

A lot of GW decisions on Nighthaunts raise my eyebrow. 

Dont get me wrong,  the range is one of my favs to date but it seems like they didn't have an exact plan when designing it. 

Examples being Dreadblades, im pretty sure these were ment as a unit and last min were decided as leaders. 

Chainghast, our only ranged unit, are sold with a hero that most never use more than one of. Odd. 

Another being the anniversary GoS. This leader is a very popular and effective unit and even multi build but they decided to release two LE... 

And now this choice. 

Still love the range and is my current project. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 2

I agree. There are some apparent last minute shuffles I suspect; with both of these LE making me think they were scrapped at the last second.

DHarrows feel much more like an elite or semi elite light cavalry bodyguard for MKoS or Reikenor, taken in squads of 2 to 4 perhaps with wound re-allocation ala Nagash and the Morghasts.

Chainghasts also feel so awkward, both in their warscroll and their bizarre itemization, but Harrows coming in a box of two for a hero slot with no synergy between themselves takes the cake for odd boxing.

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Examples being Dreadblades, im pretty sure these were ment as a unit and last min were decided as leaders.

1000000000x yes to this. I wonder if they had to rush the ghosts due to leaks and stuff, hence 'what feels like' a rushed battletome. The book as a whole feels like it is crying out for synergies that aren't really there, and it wouldn't take much to tweak it imo to get some really decent pairings going on.

I also have been trying for the life of me to figure out how to get chainghasts into a list and I'm struggling tbh, As soon as I put them in I find something better to put in their place, haha. I love the models, but I always take the torment over them everytime.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

with both of these LE

Seriously, WTF!!!! (forgot to moan about them on that last post) The model everyone wants is the GoS, let's make it super hard to get, now lets make 2 LEs instead because they are going to be in hot demand, really!!!

I have restrained from getting the second sculpt LE model, even though it looks awesome, because I already have 2, (like most of us who got 2 sets of ghosts from the starter set), why would anyone ever need a 3rd LE unless you are doing an apoc game, but even then. They really should have put an aura ability on the LE that buffs units, or make it so that he can actually go toe-to-toe with some of the other smaller heroes, give him a permanent  damage 2 or something, because most of the time, he'll be doing 2-3 damage at best. That can't even take out a cairn wraith and they're one of the smallest wound heroes in the whole game.  If the LE had a flat 3 damage instead with his attacks and was 120pts-140pts, I would take him everytime, because he can become that smaller hero assassin, instead he kind of does nothing to anyone. Sure he gives an enemy hero in 3" -1 to hit, but to make that really work, it mean having to engage the hero himself, which will result in the LE doing nothing back, while the enemy hero will more than likely swat him back to the underworlds.

2 minutes ago, Ashes said:

My local store told me it will come with it’s own warscroll

I have been told differently by a friend who had an opportunity to open up the box and see. I still don't believe them 100% as they might be pulling my legs, but the rest of the internet chatter is coming to the same conclusion, that both the SM and the ghost 500th store models have no rules, due to the fact that it's super limited release, and if they had special rules it would give an unfair advantage to players who could access a store on the day, compared to players who had no opportunity to get their hands on the model. I can see the logic and it makes sense but it still sucks balls if it is the case. I am still getting 3 though ?

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Seriously, WTF!!!! (forgot to moan about them on that last post) The model everyone wants is the GoS, let's make it super hard to get, now lets make 2 LEs instead because they are going to be in hot demand, really!!!

I have restrained from getting the second sculpt LE model, even though it looks awesome, because I already have 2, (like most of us who got 2 sets of ghosts from the starter set), why would anyone ever need a 3rd LE unless you are doing an apoc game, but even then. They really should have put an aura ability on the LE that buffs units, or make it so that he can actually go toe-to-toe with some of the other smaller heroes, give him a permanent  damage 2 or something, because most of the time, he'll be doing 2-3 damage at best. That can't even take out a cairn wraith and they're one of the smallest wound heroes in the whole game.  If the LE had a flat 3 damage instead with his attacks and was 120pts-140pts, I would take him everytime, because he can become that smaller hero assassin, instead he kind of does nothing to anyone. Sure he gives an enemy hero in 3" -1 to hit, but to make that really work, it mean having to engage the hero himself, which will result in the LE doing nothing back, while the enemy hero will more than likely swat him back to the underworlds.

Err... I meant Limited Edition, rather than Lord Executioner :  P

but good point!

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Hang on, that's dodgy logic. The Guardian of Souls is a store birthday-only model, and not only does he come with two assembly options (surely it would have made more sense for that to be the one that comes in the starter box...?) but he has rules that you cannot access anywhere else! Indeed, outside of a conversion, there's no option to build a GoS with the full equipment options in the book. 

Surely the best thing to do would have been to make the second Executioner model the exclusive model, to make this Bladegheist an actual hero and to have her and the store birthday GoS as regularly-available blisters!

What? Is that making too much sense?

• Like 1