AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

@Wartoy you'll find that @dmorley21's advise is the best route to go for getting a themed army. All of our battalions fit a really nice aesthetic but not all are very good in a competitive sense. So pick the ones that appeal the most and ask some questions beforehand, to make sure it's the direction you want to go it and then go nuts and make your thematic army.  

On 10/1/2018 at 7:49 PM, Tropical Ghost General said:

The killer combo is Anniversary GoS's spell, pendant of fell wind + cogs. Gives +6, +3, +2 (+11 total move), with the +2 to charging. A unit of grims, blades or harridans can move 19" with a +2 to charge. It's awesome. 

This sounds awesome. Pendant of Fell Wind - where do I find that? Malign Sorcery? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by lare2

4 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

It's one of the bedsheet special artefact/relic. Equip it to a hero and everything in 12" (I think) gets an extra 3" to their move. Obviously you move the bearer of the relic last, so that everyone in the 12" bubble can benefit.

Awesome - really much appreciated! Only just really getting into these guys so still picking up the rules. Managed to get the store anniversary chap from my local gw so will definitely be looking into this .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So for those interested. The recent GW GT had 73 players of which only 2 were bedsheets ?. Getting 2nd and 63rd. A very mixed result. But feeling pretty shocked at 2.7% meta attendance. 

That's interesting, surprised there weren't more considering they were in the AoS 2.0 box.

Posting this onto the multiple spook groups I'm on.

To everyone who plays their ghosts in tournaments, big or small, can you put your results in the comments. 
I'm going to attempt to make a constantly updated spreadsheet with how we are doing.
Please be accurate with this as it is meant to be a tool to help us in the future.
And if it turns out that it's not too much of a ballache, I might adapt and make a more general one, which will log results against factions in both friendly and comp games.
The overall aim will be to make a reference database to see how we are progressing as an army on the competitive scene, to see which lists are having success and which factions we seriously struggling against. 

If you want to contribute please include the following information:
- Your Name

- Name, Date & Location of tournament (stating Country as well)

- Size of tournament (eg. 52 players, 1 Day, 2k

- Amount of ghost players present (including yourself obviously) 

- Your tournament results (eg. 22nd, 2-2)

- Can you please state if realm rules (such as spells and realmscapes) were being used for the tournament. 

- Your list if you placed well. If the tournament was less than 15 people, only submit if you placed in top 3. If the tournament was less than 30 people, only submit if you placed in the top 5. And only submit your list if you placed in the top 10 in a tournament of 30+ people. Please include any artefacts and spells used. 

I already have the data from the following major tournaments, so no need to submit that if you took part in any of the following:
- Blackout (UK)
- EGGS (UK)
- NOVA (US)
- Facehammer (UK)
- Sydney GT (AUS) 
- Angelcore (UK)
- GW GT Final (UK)

I'm looking to collect data from all tournaments since 2.0 and the new battletome was released. So if you had a tournament that took place from 1st August 2018 onwards, please feel free to include it.

Thanking all contributors in advance.
Let's see what see can do as a community to improve on where we currently are.

(Attached is a very roughly put together breakdown from the 7 major tournaments that I have info on so far. I will refine the presentation, but thought I'd get this info up for the time being.) 

Major results 01.pdf

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 2

Thanks Tropical Ghost Hunter, this is a good thing, for now I will not do tournaments because I'm still testing the army looking for a good list, but as soon as possible I will not fail to participate.

Meanwhile. This Sunday I will play against Tzeentch, after a few games with the shrieker host I decided to change warscroll battallion, in fact I will play the execution horde.

L. Executioner general (ruler of spirit host - sword of judgment ulgu)
Guardian of Soul (Beacon of Nagashizzar) Lore Shademist
Spirit Torment
Spirit Torment
3x3 spirit host
2x20 Bladegheist
1x40 Chainrasp
2x4 Myrmourn

2000 precise pts. 7 drops, 12 units deployed.

The strategy I have in mind is clear, using execution horde to hunt down enemy heroes. In that case I can easily get a -2 to be hit and a +1 to hit. With the sword of Ulgu every 5+ are 1d6 of mortal wounds. I'm thinking of inserting a Knight of Shrouds and using his ability to bring the mortal wounds to 4+. The rest of the army, on the other hand, very trivially will hit the opposing units, hopefully after the enemy heroes have died so as to face them without buff.

• Like 1

@Espy85 that Ulgu combo is gross. I might give it a spin myself in my next game. Does it say unmodified though on the relic wording? I don't have the book to hand.

I personally think that the beacon is sort of wasted as you only have 1 big unit that it can benefit from and it puts a lot of pressure on getting that spell off. If you give on of your other heroes midnight tome, you'll have 2 chances to deny and two lots of spells to cast. Against Tzeentch you'll really struggle against their magic, so giving yourself an extra chance to deny and cast is going to be vital. I know the myrmourn are there to help with the deny, but Tzeentch cares not for a 4 unit of myrmourns ?. It's looking pretty decent though. 

If you might take the regular KoS, have you thought about taking the shroudguard battalion to get the blades protected a bit better and another relic?

• Thanks 1

For the relic is worth the 6+ then editable, I thought the Knight of Shrouds to send it in the company of L. Executioner, so every 4+ are 1d6 of mortal wounds, combined with mortals made by the spirit Host.
Unfortunately for this combo I do not think I can use the shroudguard, already to insert the Kos I should reduce the bladegheist and the chainrasp, I do not know where to find another 110 pts. But I like the combo, to say I doubt that a general Coven Throne or a cauldron of the DoK can survive such a number of mortals, provided I make a good number of them.
On the midnight tome I think I have to give it, probably I will insert it to one of the Spirit Torment.
Start to understand what is the best way for our army, if we face the adversaries at most we are passed off, we must take advantage of the aip to hit the enemy opponents, removed that we are fine. If we kill the death general, units do not come back to life, and every necromancer or vampire lord eliminated is d3 less for unit care. Without the cauldron the DoKs become fragile, the Sylvaneth without alarielle lose magic and recover wounds, each army depends on the heroes.
For now I try the horde execution combo, but in the future I could try without warscroll battallion, since the KoS with the sword of ulgu can do the d6 mortal wounds at 5+ with 4 shots.

• Like 1

Only downside of the Ulgu combo is that the lord executioner has a measly 3 attacks, unlike the sword combo on Ironjawz running 2 x warchanter cross buffing for +2 to hit on 4 attacks, 4+ triggers an extra attack (and the 1d6 mortals) which just obliterates anything.

The reaon I compare these is due to the investment needed to make an inferior combo (although the executioner is a bit more sturdy). We need a battalion and also a 120 pt character and command point to even get 4+ to proc the sword, and then just for 3 attacks. While another army can do this with just 2x 80pts heroes using a free ability to, on average, get over twice the output.

There is a strong case though to be made that the execuitioner is tough enough to stand up to said monsters and heroes and possibly survive a counter attack while swinging the sword. If only his +2 dmg on 6's was affected by the battalion, then he would start to look like a major threat.

Haven't done the math but wouldn't giving the lord executioner the tome of midnight and reaping scythe give you more chances for a decapitating blow, with an extra dispel. He also wouldn't need support from 2 KoS, a spirit torment, and a GoS. So it would be much more efficient points wise.

11 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Sad news about Gorkarr special bladegheist model. No special rules. Based on the fact that they don't want to make it unavailable to those who can't get the model. Sad times. I'm planning on making some homebrew rules for the model, will post it on here when it's done.

Seriously!? Wow. I wouldnt have bought it had I known; 30/35 bucks for an alternate sculpt for a plain troop choice is rediculous

Edited by Neck-Romantic

1 minute ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Wow. I wouldnt have bought it had I known.

I haven't had a chance to look in the box yet, but a reliable source has confirmed that neither the SM or the spook has special rules. I am still buying 3 though, 1 to keep in the box and 2 to run as leader of my 20 blade units, units which don't actually have a leader model anyway ?