AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

9 minutes ago, ladylusiphur said:

It's not the best pic & early in the painting process but I think you get the general idea. I chickened out and stuck the heads on later as not all sculpts worked without them. Maybe one day! 

(You can't tell from the pic but the inside is blue, looks black on the photo) 

MVIMG_20180825_171539.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

I think I will try something similar for my Grimghasts. I think lore wise, it makes the most sense for Grimghasts to be headless since Nagash wanted them to be sightless killers. 

How difficult was it to attach the heads after the rest was assembled?

So I’m thinking I do something like:

Reikenor

Mounted Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls, relic lantern

Black Coach

Black Coach

30 Grimghasts

30 Grimghasts

10 Chainrasp Horde

Cogs

1880 (2 extra command points)

Any way you guys can think of improving this list? I considered dropping the mounted knight to turn the Chainrasps into 6 Spirit Hosts, which might be better, but I just feel so hero light if I do that. Also would love to include Lady Olynder but I feel like she is just so many points for so few wounds

6 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

So I’m thinking I do something like:

Reikenor

Mounted Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls, relic lantern

Black Coach

Black Coach

30 Grimghasts

30 Grimghasts

10 Chainrasp Horde

Cogs

1880 (2 extra command points)

Any way you guys can think of improving this list? I considered dropping the mounted knight to turn the Chainrasps into 6 Spirit Hosts, which might be better, but I just feel so hero light if I do that. Also would love to include Lady Olynder but I feel like she is just so many points for so few wounds

Might as well take the Soul Snare Shackles endless spell at 20 points instead of losing them.

That spell is pretty good, especially when it would round out your list without cutting into your extra CPs.

Good day all.

I'm thinking of putting together a Nighthaunt force for a 1k growing to 2k  campaign with my group.

What do you think of...

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Spirit Torment (120)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

1000/1000
Allies: 140 / 200
Wounds: 63

9 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Personally Im not sure why you would use a VLord in place of a mKoS as he will benefit from the allegiance abilities

Hi, It's in a vacume as I have only read and not played but...

Vampire - loses 2" of movement, weapon does D3 rather than two so potential for more/less, both can be mounted but I'd lose those attacks to fly. Heals 1w if it kills (both have similar), once per game heal d6. In the hero phase heal D3 to up to 3 summonable units and a command ability that gives +1 attack to a unit in 15" 

Shrouds- extra move, etherial, can fly and be mounted, attack does 2 so maybe consistant, similar heal self 1, command ability is the same but unit must be wholley within 18"

All that plus the vampire is a wizard, useful for mystic sheild and grabbing objectives in the scenario that matters.

That is all just looking on paper, I may be totally wrong in practice and I'd love a discussion as to why you rate the shrouds more. Thanks

Edited by Lardidar

3 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Hi, It's in a vacume as I have only read and not played but...

Vampire - loses 2" of movement, weapon does D3 rather than two so potential for more/less, both can be mounted but I'd lose those attacks to fly. Heals 1w if it kills (both have similar), once per game heal d6. In the hero phase heal D3 to up to 3 summonable units and a command ability that gives +1 attack to a unit in 15" 

Shrouds- extra move, etherial, can fly and be mounted, attack does 2 so maybe consistant, similar heal self 1, command ability is the same but unit must be wholley within 18"

All that plus the vampire is a wizard, useful for mystic sheild and grabbing objectives in the scenario that matters.

That is all just looking on paper, I may be totally wrong in practice and I'd love a discussion as to why you rate the shrouds more. Thanks

I'm pretty sure it was determined way back in this thread that allies can't use their command abilities. So that would be a bummer for your Vampire. I could be misremembering though as I'm new to the game. 

47 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I'm pretty sure it was determined way back in this thread that allies can't use their command abilities. So that would be a bummer for your Vampire. I could be misremembering though as I'm new to the game. 

Ahh, of that's is the case then the vampire is out. I'll try and do some research on allies

Man I am starting to lean toward MSU style for Nighthaunts - has anyone else run this style? With many smaller units, and 1 big unit of chainrasps? What I am thinking about is an Execution Horde (Lord Executioner with 3 min spirit hosts), a Shrieker Host (tomb banshee, 2 units of 8 mymourn, 2 units of 5 dreadscythes), a few characters and an anchor unit of chainrasps.

I am envisioning hitting bigger units on each side to prevent too many pile ins, and then just smashing in.

It might be crazy and sucky, but I am obsessing over it so I thought I would see if anyone else here has already taken the lumps. 

1 hour ago, Somnicide said:

Man I am starting to lean toward MSU style for Nighthaunts - has anyone else run this style? With many smaller units, and 1 big unit of chainrasps? What I am thinking about is an Execution Horde (Lord Executioner with 3 min spirit hosts), a Shrieker Host (tomb banshee, 2 units of 8 mymourn, 2 units of 5 dreadscythes), a few characters and an anchor unit of chainrasps.

I am envisioning hitting bigger units on each side to prevent too many pile ins, and then just smashing in.

It might be crazy and sucky, but I am obsessing over it so I thought I would see if anyone else here has already taken the lumps. 

If you're playing at 2k, that might be hard to fit. I've been looking into a Shrieker Host list and finding it difficult to effectively get in at 2k. 

EDIT

Didn't see you only plan on running units of 5 Dreadscythes. I think that's just too small. I'm thinking 30 and debating between two units of 15 or a unit of 10 and 20. 

Edited by dmorley21
Misread
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 3:28 AM, Benlisted said:

So, finally got round to updating my spreadsheet with our heroes. Here's a link to the latest version.

Some observations:

• The Cairn Wraith is by far our most points efficient hero in terms of damage output, vs both units with no save or a really high save. Lord executioner's output is disappointing by comparison.
  • The next tier consists of Kurdoss, the LE, Harrows and Reikenor. They each have pretty reasonable output, but looking at their total wound output aren't going to be soloing that much. That said, all of these outdo the Mourngul, point for point...
  • On the charge the Harrow becomes second best (to the Wraith)!
  • The ST is pretty decent given his high rend, and the GoS with maul outperforms the sword VS all but a 2+ save. Not that you really care about the GoS' damage output...
  • The Wraith is also most durable for the points, with a comparable score to Bladegheists. Olynder and Kurdoss are the frailest units, per point, in the entire book.

Based on these numbers any ideas of who to avoid in lists? 
Or is this too far in a vacuum to use as an include/exclude criteria?  

15 hours ago, knightish said:

Based on these numbers any ideas of who to avoid in lists? 
Or is this too far in a vacuum to use as an include/exclude criteria?  

Eh, I wouldn’t say these numbers are really indicative of what to avoid, or not avoid. They’re just indicative of how much damage and durability you are getting per point. They completely ignore abilities and movement, synergies, etc.

That said, you can make some value judgements from them. For instance, I’d say generally steer clear of a Lord executioner unless you really have nothing better to do with 20pts (take a Cairn Wraith instead). The difference in damage output is noticeable. That said, if you want to make one your General, then the more durable LE is certainly a better bet. But normally I’d rather have a wraith and the shackles.

I think the only real no brainer is maul over sword on GoS. Even things like LE and the Mourngul, which respectively are fairly clearly outdone by the CW and the BC, have a niche in a list stacking - to hit. Personally I also can’t see myself running Glaivewraiths just cos Bladegheists do hit and run so much better, and our other units are such good choice that they are never really an obvious filler. But I think the internal balance is actually pretty good overall!

5 hours ago, Benlisted said:

Eh, I wouldn’t say these numbers are really indicative of what to avoid, or not avoid. They’re just indicative of how much damage and durability you are getting per point. They completely ignore abilities and movement, synergies, etc.

That said, you can make some value judgements from them. For instance, I’d say generally steer clear of a Lord executioner unless you really have nothing better to do with 20pts (take a Cairn Wraith instead). The difference in damage output is noticeable. That said, if you want to make one your General, then the more durable LE is certainly a better bet. But normally I’d rather have a wraith and the shackles.

I think the only real no brainer is maul over sword on GoS. Even things like LE and the Mourngul, which respectively are fairly clearly outdone by the CW and the BC, have a niche in a list stacking - to hit. Personally I also can’t see myself running Glaivewraiths just cos Bladegheists do hit and run so much better, and our other units are such good choice that they are never really an obvious filler. But I think the internal balance is actually pretty good overall!

Dude thanks for the detailed reply.
Really helped me as a new 'ish' player of AOS.

I think it finally helped me settle on a 2k list as well :)

I try to always build a list with 5 things in mind:

Hitting power
Manoeuvrability
Flexibility - In scenario play
Durability
Synergy

All of these I try to rate out of 10 to get an overall feel for how go a list will perform on the table in most match ups. 
I also ask mates to rate it for me too. 

Got this system from Heralds of War podcast. 

This paired with your breakdown gives me a great idea of where I sit...in theory... until I take control lol

Thoughts on throwing Neferata into a 2k Nighthaunt list?

She is 400 points so just fits.

I guess the main reason I'm thinking about this is that I just love the model, lol. Also I don't want to play LoN as the Nighthaunt allegiance abilities look more fun.

Newbie looking for some help.

Could someone please explain to me the best way to get all the updated rules for our units? If I only have the Nighthaunt battletome I missing out on the changes made in Soulwars right? What book do I need to have in addition to the battletome in order to have all the updated rules?

Hello all,

I bought my first nighthaunt model this weekend. It’s the knight of shrouds, because it seemed fun to paint the model, and it was fun and now i think i might to paint some more of these Nighthaunt models. And I guess when i painted some of these Nighthaunts i am beginning to  have an army, which wasnt my starting point, but that is going to happen. 

Now I like to paint t hese models, since ghost are fun. And during the drying stages of the knight of shrouds i read a lot of the lore of these Nighthaunt ghosts, and the lore says that Nagash after the necroquake saw the rising of the Nighthaunts and realized, fear is the key! Especially against mortals. Well besides the painting I like to play according to the lore, this isnt always competetive, but i dont mind that much. 

So now my question to you guys is: can i make a (semi)competetive army of Nighthaunt (ghosts!) where i play by the lore? What would be great synergies to lower the bravery of enemy units in such a way that after i kill say one or two, maybe three i dont know, models in a unit and in the battleshock phase a lot of others will flee because my opponents bravery is at such a low amount he has to fail battle shock. I really woukd like to try and play according to this principle,  cause then my army caused fear and then i play according to lore. 

An other thing would be popping up somewhere with a unit, and cause some “jump scare” tactics, which also fits nicely in the lore.

I know there are some command traits, artefacts, spells wich have these concepts build in i wrote of, but i cant get a grip on the right combination of heros and units. So much to choose from...a little advice woukd be appreciated. (Maybe this was posted before, im sorry i havenet read the whole thread of this Nighthaunt discussion)

thx in advance, greetz

The banshee battalion interacts with bravery in a very thematic fashion; preventing your opponent from spending command points to ignore battleshock

You might search through the realm artefacts and find something that adds even further bravery debuffs, while fielding the banshee battalion, some tomb banshees, and Lady Olynder

Edited by Neck-Romantic