AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Kudos to Kurdoss for his "sceptre". He is a king ala Conan, more barbarian than regal... who tricked his Game Master to let him carry around his 2 handed 100 kg sledge hammer as his symbol of (ruthless) power : "this little thing ? a weapon ? naaaah don't worry, it's just my sceptre"

3 minutes ago, Tailessine said:

Wow great models- flying wraith guy especially. Lady Olynders damage output is obscene. Do love Nagashs 'ironic punishment' mentality. I think i would probably become a wraith, sitting on a pile of cake, but having not been given a mouth....

Yes, it is! But all the heroes are also severely susceptible to mortal wounds sniping! So the question is how long will you be able to take advantage of that big damage output of Lady Olynder? :D
Will be really interesting to see what other news the battletome brings. With Olynder you might have to give her some artifact to be able to negate mortal wounds, just to make her stay alive better against those. Will be really interesting to see how the army shapes in the meta.

23 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Will be really interesting to see the new Nighthaunt tome then! And see if this change (it should) is applied to all units. Cause that would sort of remove a lot (read: all) of the synergy with +to hit models and say Spirit Hosts and that would bring down the fun level of this faction!

I think it would be a net positive for spirit hosts.  Sure you lose some synergy, but a single minus to hit debuff can completely neuter their offensive capability currently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richelieu said:

I think it would be a net positive for spirit hosts.  Sure you lose some synergy, but a single minus to hit debuff can completely neuter their offensive capability currently.

Yeah! Nevar pointed that out in a different post and that is something I completely failed to realize and it is absolutely correct! Still takes away synergy, but can still be considered a buff more than a nerf in that context. Cause you aren't as reliant on heroes either, making more tactics more viable and forgiving.

1 minute ago, NurgleBro said:

So, is Lady Olynder a day one buy?

"You won’t have to wait too long! Lady Olynder and Battletome: Nighthaunt are available to pre-order this weekend, while Reikenor the Grimhailer and Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King will be available soon after. "

Not sure what you mean by "day one buy", but it seems that Olynder and Battletome will be avaiable for pre-order atleast when Soul Wars hits the shelves this weekend (30th?)! Not sure how long it will take though until Olynder and Battletome arrives after that pre-order. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I am interested in seeing the pricing on Olynder. If it follows the same pricing as the other mortarch we would be looking at around 60 euro. And if that is the case I wonder where the other characters will be priced.

So, just because I love Nagash and the model and all the spells it brings.. is it at all possible running Nagash as the general for a nighthaunt army? I know nighthaunt can be used in Legions of Nagash (however spirit hosts aren't mentioned in that and they are one of my favourite models).
So I guess the question is, can you field a nighthaunt alliegance army with Nagash as general? (this may be the proof everyone has been looking for that I know very little about AoS and how it actually works :P)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

So, just because I love Nagash and the model and all the spells it brings.. is it at all possible running Nagash as the general for a nighthaunt army? I know nighthaunt can be used in Legions of Nagash (however spirit hosts aren't mentioned in that and they are one of my favourite models).
So I guess the question is, can you field a nighthaunt alliegance army with Nagash as general? (this may be the proof everyone has been looking for that I know very little about AoS and how it actually works :P)

I was considering this option earlier too, I think it could be pretty nasty

39 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

I'm not sure but I really hope so. I mean he's the God of death if he can't be the general of a nighthaunt army, can you really look in the mirror and say.. Nagash is the undisputed God king of death? 

Edited by Oogje

4 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Reiknor: 180 pts.

Kurdoss: 220

MoG: 240

For those wondering.

3 minutes ago, Oogje said:

I'm not sure but I really hope so. I mean he's the God of death if he can't be the general of a nighthaunt army, can you really look in the mirror and say.. Nagash is the undisputed God king of death? 

That's sort of my point! :D He should be able to be the general of any death army regardless of army allegiance :D

I am kind of surprised by the responses to Kurdoss as I feel like the rules for him are lacking.  (Also ignoring the model is just amazing which is reason enough to buy him.)  The 5+ to remove/gain a command point is fair, but doesn't really address pre-game command points.  Yes, he can do some damage in CC, but he doesn't offer any buffs to a NH army and his re-roll is very situational.  Finally, he is a unique hero, so no artifacts or traits on him (unless something has changed in 2nd).

Seems like the MoG and the other generic support characters would be better choices at this point.  Maybe one of the new battalions will unlock something great about it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Well might want to wait for matched play points.

I don't want to run afoul of the mods so I won't post here points, but I assure you, she is quite strong for her points.  

Edit: looks like someone posted the points so you can make the call yourself on whether she's worth it!

Edited by Richelieu

Olynder is a mortarch but not a deathlord...feels like an omission.

This feels very "you are on the Jedi counsel, but we do not grant you the title of master"-ish

Very ridiculous after even minor characters like Tamra Von Drak became deathlord in the novels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nuradin said:

If it follows the same pricing as the other mortarch we would be looking at around 60 euro. And if that is the case I wonder where the other characters will be priced.

I hope she will be cheaper, I feel she is much smaller than the other Mortarch. I would say much closer in size to the very cool 32,5 euro ID king...

And who else wish the super cool statue on the Pegasus base was a proper model... So much cooler than a clear plastic stick...

46 minutes ago, Equinox said:

I am kind of surprised by the responses to Kurdoss as I feel like the rules for him are lacking.  (Also ignoring the model is just amazing which is reason enough to buy him.)  The 5+ to remove/gain a command point is fair, but doesn't really address pre-game command points.  Yes, he can do some damage in CC, but he doesn't offer any buffs to a NH army and his re-roll is very situational.  Finally, he is a unique hero, so no artifacts or traits on him (unless something has changed in 2nd).

Seems like the MoG and the other generic support characters would be better choices at this point.  Maybe one of the new battalions will unlock something great about it.  

I haven't seen anyone say that he's going to be particularly strong competitively, more that he's really cool and can hit hard and be hilariously frustrating to your opponent by stealing their CP.  

Olynder on the other hand is an auto-include in my opinion.  Other than being slightly fragile she just has an immense battlefield presence.  Damage, support, spells, she has it all.  You'll be able to use her fragility to your advantage.  Your opponent's moves will be predictable as they do everything they can to take her out.  And when she is finally taken down?  You only lost 1/8th of your army.  

2 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I haven't seen anyone say that he's going to be particularly strong competitively, more that he's really cool and can hit hard and be hilariously frustrating to your opponent by stealing their CP.  

Olynder on the other hand is an auto-include in my opinion.  Other than being slightly fragile she just has an immense battlefield presence.  Damage, support, spells, she has it all.  You'll be able to use her fragility to your advantage.  Your opponent's moves will be predictable as they do everything they can to take her out.  And when she is finally taken down?  You only lost 1/8th of your army.  

For the points cost I find her to be amazing! :D
And for those points it gives me the option to bring alot of other fun heroes as well! I really like Spirit Torment and Guardian of Souls, especially Guardian of Souls! I really hope they put that model in a box of its own, cause I would love to run two of them in an army :P Just because I like the model so much! And I like to heal!
Not really sure how Cairn Wraith and Banshee hero will be in the new nighthaunt army. Any thoughts on that?

For those asking, No Nagash cannot be the general of a Nighthaunt army, and you cannot ally him either.

Nighthaunt is however an ally to ALL of the Legions of Nagash including grand host.  AND Chainrasps are battleline for Legions.  So you can field an entirely Nighthaunt army with Nagash as the General in the Legions of Nagash allegiance.  You cannot as far as we know use Nagash in a Nighthaunt Allegiance army.

5 minutes ago, Nevar said:

For those asking, No Nagash cannot be the general of a Nighthaunt army, and you cannot ally him either.

Nighthaunt is however an ally to ALL of the Legions of Nagash including grand host.  AND Chainrasps are battleline for Legions.  So you can field an entirely Nighthaunt army with Nagash as the General in the Legions of Nagash allegiance.  You cannot as far as we know use Nagash in a Nighthaunt Allegiance army.

I was afraid of that! Was just hoping I woulnd't have to buy two battletomes just to play Nagash and nighthaunt.
Too bad Spirit Hosts can go battle line for legions as they atm can for Nighthaunt! (subject to change in the new battle tome I guess)