AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

4 hours ago, ianob said:

6 hosts with a Lantern is 7 mortals and 3.5 rend 0 hits on average. Let’s not get hyperbolic now :)

Well, in 2 turns the tree is actually dead. And you have that sweet 17% chance of a charge-attack... if you are lucky enough, that tree is dead in one turn.

49 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Well, in 2 turns the tree is actually dead. And you have that sweet 17% chance of a charge-attack... if you are lucky enough, that tree is dead in one turn.

Not true on average. Remember that your lantern buff only works once a game. And truly, I don’t think it’s a worthwhile investment compared to other relic options

I made an account just for this, because I'm confused as ****** about the new White Dwarf. I've been a Nighthaunt player from the start, and now with all these new additions, I was quite stumped that we couldn't take a Mortis Engine. Now we see a battle report with NH allegiance using a Mortis Engine in the White Dwarf? Did I miss something? Are they messing with us?

15 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

And 6 hosts is 36 attacks with rerolls.. most likely more than only 7 MW's.

6's are a russian roulette. I have played plenty with the harvest moon and 3x6 units of spirit hosts, and get only 2-3 MWs even with the rerolls. Not really consistent, but you can also get a crazy amount of MWs, but those turns when you only kill 1 chainrasps really make you want to throw the spirit hosts away.

Edited by Keldaur

5 minutes ago, ianob said:

What are we talking about that's rerolling all misses?

there's an artefact that let's you reroll all failed to hits for all nighthaunt in a certain distance once a game (don't know the exact values and name, don't have the tome currently available)

Edited by tea_wild_owl

4 hours ago, Keldaur said:

The post you answered specifically stated the lantern that gives you rerolls once per battle. :P

Whoops :)

All I’ll say then is that basing unit evaluations on a once per game artifacts with an opportunity cost of potentially better artifacts is not ideal listbuilding!

On 8/11/2018 at 2:11 AM, Smavo said:

It's pretty easy to "kite" sylvaneths now as the woods have the overgrown rule from the citadel wood scenery aswell. So as long as there is 1" between a model in the wood crossing the base of the wood they do not have LoS so if they do want to turtle in their wood then they lose their muscle attacks. So you can either avoid them and swarm another objective or make them come to you.

Wait what now? Wyld woods ALSO have the citadel woods rule?! Has this been confirmed? We played our woods as eonly one or the other so we had to choose before setup if the scenery was a citadel wood or a wyldwood.

Edited by Greasygeek

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

Wait what now? Wyld woods ALSO have the citadel woods rule?! Has this been confirmed? We played our woods as eonly one or the other so we had to choose before setup if the scenery was a citadel wood or a wyldwood.

Check the designer notes for sylvaneth that was release with t nh e faqs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

Just remember, this doesn't affect Nighthaunt at all. As our entire army flies so both ways have line of sight. 

On 8/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, ianob said:

Whoops :)

All I’ll say then is that basing unit evaluations on a once per game artifacts with an opportunity cost of potentially better artifacts is not ideal listbuilding!

I understand where you are coming from, but that's poorly worded, ideal listbuilding does not exist.

Better artifacts rely on the list itself, not in the artifact on its own. You are not getting ethereal amulet just because its good, you get it because your list have a big threat that can take advantadge of it. Pendant of fell wind is probably the only artifact that is better no matter what kind of list you make for nighthaunt (and still i am not sure it would apply always). Midnight tome is a solid artifact, but you use it to fill a gap in your list, otherwise you don't. Harvest moon allows you to do some very good and decisive plays when you are playing spirit hosts which outweights heavilly whatever you could get with a different artifact through the game (and that's what you should compute to see if it's optimal or not, not just if it's an once per game or not).

Edited by Keldaur