AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 minute ago, Spears said:

"That unit cannot fight unless all other enemy units that are eligible to fight have already done so" Does the enemy wording not mean they just have to be the last unit your opponent picks to fight?

MMmm... perhaps I have looked at the word 'enemy' the wrong way.  That enemy refers to the enemy of the caster or the enemy of the that unit?  I was reading that as if all the victim's enemy units have already fought.  However I can also see it meaning all the other units on the side of the target unit.

I dunno... someone more versed in the rules might chime in.

That is an interesting point.

Does the victim unit fight *dead last* that round or are they simply *the last unit the enemy can activate*

Very big difference, with the first interpretation being FAR stronger. 

If it's the latter you would need to be involved in several combats on the board for soul cage to have any real effect

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Just now, TheWolfLord said:

It’s still very powerful but if you want to charge the Soul Cage victim with 3 units you just need to make sure you get another couple of charges off elsewhere. 

I guess when you deepstrike some units around it (9" distance) and you´re lucky enough to roll a 10+ for the charge, you´ll cause some serious mayhem. But for this, the target unit needs to be seperated from the other enemy models.

19 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

What rules do we use for the new black coach. Just opened the box and the rules in the instructions are different to the book/app. 

The rules in the instructions say it gains a level ebery battleround but the book says you roll 3 d6 every battle round and on a 4+ it gains a level

You use the most recent publication which is the battletome version.

Model kits are normally produced and stockpiled much earlier than books so the books are the most recent version of rules.

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit,
can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll?
A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and must use the most recently published errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

The rules in the kit don’t have a publication date.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheWolfLord said:

You use the most recent publication which is the battletome version.

Model kits are normally produced and stockpiled much earlier than books so the books are the most recent version of rules.

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit,
can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll?
A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and must use the most recently published errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

The rules in the kit don’t have a publication date.

Thanks was worried i wasted my money lol

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Speaking of the Black Coach, while the model is one of the best chariots I have seen for the game, for those who are concerned about money do you think it may be acceptable to buy Start Collecting Malignants, get some plasticard, and make a kitbashed one?

I dont see why not. As long as its easily distinguishable from an ordinary mortis engine and you use the correct base size for the coach - why would anyone complain? Conversions are awesome ;)

11 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Speaking of the Black Coach, while the model is one of the best chariots I have seen for the game, for those who are concerned about money do you think it may be acceptable to buy Start Collecting Malignants, get some plasticard, and make a kitbashed one?

Now there's a conversion I'd love to see!

Hi,

Quick Q, I think I know the answer but wanted to make sure I was right.

Shroud guard, can I take a mounted knight of shrouds in that battalion? Or is just the chap on foot?

My understanding is that both are viable, but sure I read somewhere online that it was just the foot variety. Don't wanna pull a list together that is not legit

Edited by jondoe297

1 hour ago, Noctem said:

Hey all! I bought the store anniversary Nighthaunt Guardian of Souls, what's the best loadout for him? Nightmare Lantern or Mortality Glass, Chill Blade or Maul of Judgement?

Weapons is chill blade. Max damage is 3, compared to 4, but the extra attack makes it more likely to get 2-3 damage. 

Lantern 100% mortality glass. Reducing charge to 1D6 and moving a unit within 24" an extra 6" is massive. 

53 minutes ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Bladegheists

I ordered mines: 2 boxes. That's 20. With that, I can do the bataillon or the units I want.  I'd like to see their efficiency as a harassement unit of 10, or a hammer unit of 15 (20 seems overpriced especially with range 1"). I'll see what I can do with the bataillon with 2*10 (I'd prefer 15+10 but I don't have them).

Edited by GeneralZero

Just now, GeneralZero said:

I ordered mines: 2 boxes. That's 20. With that, I can do the bataillon or the units I want.  Id like to see their efficiency as a harassement uni of 10, or a hammer unit of 15 (20 seems overpriced especially with range 1"). I'll see what I can do with the bataillon with 2*10 (I'd prefer 15+10 but I don't have them).

Yeah I think I'm going to grab 2 boxes and run 2*10 for the Shroudguard with the Grimhailer 

44 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I ordered mines: 2 boxes. That's 20. With that, I can do the bataillon or the units I want.  I'd like to see their efficiency as a harassement unit of 10, or a hammer unit of 15 (20 seems overpriced especially with range 1"). I'll see what I can do with the bataillon with 2*10 (I'd prefer 15+10 but I don't have them).

Getting 20 models in with an 8" fly is not a huge deal even with 1" reach. The problem with running 10 or 15 is that they wont hurt what they kill very much, which means they'll get hit back harder, and your unit is smaller to start with = less models left to keep on fighting, and/or not enough models left to take advantage of retreat+charge next turn into a juicy easy pickings unit. Also getting the last 5 for almost half points makes taking 15 hella inefficient.

I think a unit of 10 is probably playable for flank objectives if you want to fill the battalion cheaply and/or need somewhere to shave points, but outside of the battalion 10 Grimghasts would do that job better. I wouldnt want to be putting 10 of them into a main line of battle.

• Like 1