AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

41 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I keep making lists that are too character heavy... anyone have experience with lists running 5 heros or so? 

Im worried about how flimsy and yet neccesary torments and guardians are..

I have run 6 hero lists. The support is great, but the deployment and drop count is not great. I'm struggling myself with the same issue, do I go for 2 battalions or go for a more well rounded, take all comers list and except that I'll always go second. 

24 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I just cant seem to break from 2 torments and a GoS. The redundancy helps the late game and it starts to make your opponent grit their teeth at up to 6 models coming back / hero healing on their own turn

I also played 2 Torments + GOS +2x 20 CR (Chainguard). You could clearly see the desperation in my opponents face. to hit on 3+, reroll to hit 1s and also reroll to wound 1s. Also the ability to bring back up to 12 modells via Spectral Lure is such a pleasure to play.
Buff the CR with the mKOS´ +1 attack and roll a 10+ charge and you´ll get a special place in hell.

Edited by Phynxes

6 minutes ago, Phynxes said:

I also played 2 Torments + GOS +2x 20 CR (Chainguard). You could clearly see the desperation in my opponents face. to hit on 3+, reroll to hit 1s and also reroll to wound 1s. Also the ability to bring back up to 12 modells via Spectral Lure is such a pleasure to play.

How does 1 GoS return up to 12 with spectral lure? Is the spells effect done twice if the casting roll is 10+?

Just now, spoon_fed05 said:

How does 1 GoS return up to 12 with spectral lure? Is the spells effect done twice if the casting roll is 10+?

I played him as the Chainguard batallion, which allows to add d6 modells additionally to Spectral Lure.

1 hour ago, Phynxes said:

Buff the CR with the mKOS´ +1 attack and roll a 10+ charge and you´ll get a special place in hell.

The command abilitie is used at the start of the combat face and Only last during that combat face.

1 hour ago, Ove said:

The command abilitie is used at the start of the combat face and Only last during that combat face.

Yes, im aware of this, but nontheless, you attack two times (1 after the charge on normal attack profile, and regulary in your combat phase, but this time with additional +1 attack per modell), and this will give the other player a really hard time with ~100 attacks. That was what I meant.

Edited by Phynxes

Bladegheists, Harridans and the (much better) executioner sculpt up for preorder on the far east side of the world; thankfully Bladegheists are 10 to a box.

Since they are fielded in chunks of 5 per pricepoint, and after seeing the Chainrasp pricing fiasco I was worried they would be 5 to a box for $45.

Edited by Neck-Romantic

8 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Bladegheists, Harridans and the (much better) executioner sculpt up for preorder on the far east side of the world; thankfully Bladegheists are 10 to a box.

Since they are fielded in chunks of 5 per pricepoint, and after seeing the Chainrasp pricing fiasco I was worried they would be 5 to a box for $45.

Honestly, for what ever reason, most of the Nighthaunt kits have been reasonably, if not pretty nicely priced on when it comes to GW. Its just that the Chainrasp's price was just sooooo overpriced. But 45$ for a box with 2 units worth of minis? And one of them is battleline? And 35$ for named heros? Heck yeah.

Compare the Nighthaunt release to Idoneth; its night and day.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:59 PM, Spears said:

Do people not rate the condemned? I can't stomach 80 chainrasp but it looks to add quite a bit of bite to them.

I love the Condemned and it synergizes very well with Shroudguard.

The only reason I’m now leaning towards Chainguard is because I’m about to build my Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass.

Having it’s abilities and an additiion D6 heal by casting Temporal Translocation on the Chainrasps plus the ability to heal D6+3 from a second Guardian of Souls just seems too good. You’re not putting all your healing in one model, both have very powerful buffs and I can heal 2 different units pretty well too.

Edited by TheWolfLord

Hello Death forum.

Dirty Order player here to look for advice on behalf of a friend. He wants to get into AoS with Nighthaunt, and isn't sure whether to buy Soul Wars and two boxes of Grimghast reapers, or build his own 1000pt army for the same price. The reasons that Soul Wars might not be for him is that he lives in a city with lots of great places to play - so he can jump in at the matched play level. He's definitely a trial by fire kinda guy. He asked me to build an army and this is what I came up with after reading through the tactica in this thread:

Lady Olynder - General 

Spirit Torment

Spirit Torment

Lord Executioner - Balefire Blade

10 Grimghast Reapers

10 Grimghast Reapers

10 Grimghast Reapers

980pts, 52 wounds.

I elected to give the executioner the artefact as I think that at the 1000pt level, in an army with a solid regeneration shell, the executioner wears an artefact the best. Upping his damage means he can pull double duty; either sit in the frontline against tough units like brutes to help guarantee the 3 models per turn for the torments to regen, or deep strike against armies like Seraphon that use little heroes to buff big units, which seems to be a theme in the current meta.

The army plan is really simple. Deep strike everything in a shell and use the torments to regen models, while Oly sits in the back and uses her command ability to further stabilize losses. I put the Grimghast in three units so he can split his force to grab objectives easier, and so that if he wants to shell up 3 units get resurrections instead of 2. 

He can purchase this and the battletome for the cost of soul wars and two boxes of reapers. He's not sure what is the better option so I guess I'm coming here for validation that the list is a playable army and not a hot mess.

10 ghasts can get focused down rather quickly even at the 1000pnt level, and oly's command is mostly wasted on single wound squads. Might trade oly for Reikenor and up to 2 squads of 20, tho I dont have the points in front of me

Or go with a squad of 20 and 10 if 3 boxes of ghasts

Could also use midnight tome instead, executioner would get a NH spell and he could buy a cheap Endless spell... if he doesnt mind using a token

Edited by Neck-Romantic

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Could also use midnight tome instead, executioner would get a NH spell and he could buy a cheap Endless spell... if he doesnt mind using a token

Or just be a bearer of 'Soul Cage' as that spell is brutal at 1k points, and he is likely to be in range of casting it when he needs it.

25 minutes ago, Spears said:

For the retreat or the other part? 

Nothing about being the victim of a Soul Cage is good.  Striking last means you can put this on their 'big unit' their horde or elites or monsters, and then pile on the attacks from your whole army before it gets a chance to return in kind.  You can very easily dog-pile your enemy's key units with Soul Cage, and at 1k points, most armies only have one or two key combat units since there is not as much points to spend on redundancy.

57 minutes ago, Spears said:

The strike last depends on how many units your opponent has to fight with though right? At 1k if there are only two enemy units in combat presumably it is much less effective and almost ignorable if they just have one big blob.

No... they strike last... that means if they have one massive unit, and you charge it with six small units... all six of your units go before his one unit ever fights.

3 minutes ago, Nevar said:

No... they strike last... that means if they have one massive unit, and you charge it with six small units... all six of your units go before his one unit ever fights.

"That unit cannot fight unless all other enemy units that are eligible to fight have already done so" Does the enemy wording not mean they just have to be the last unit your opponent picks to fight?