AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Don't forget Witch Aelf prices are still based on their Pre Sigmar days when they were part of the whole Dark Elf faction and were an elite choice. Granted they WERE expensive then; but its worse now that they are a battleline troop. They really should drop in price or get resold in a bundle with two sprues or a getting started kit or such. Right now its easy to get the first 30 or so as you can get the last stocks of the Blood Coven still kicking around which should give most enough cauldron and shrine parts for their needs for a while. But thereafter the price is really abusive to Daughters players. 

The Black Coach being expensive isn't too surprising as its a big detailed model that GW doesn't expect to sell in large numbers to each faction player. Much like how Morathi is very expensive when most Daughters players are expected only to get one. 

Hey everyone, thinking of starting Nighthaunt from having some bits via the soul wars set.

I was looking at making a first list, my aim is to try to be relatively competitive, as I generally play with similar minded players, would love any feedback on the following list.

Cheers

+++ Nighthaunt (Age of Sigmar) [1990pts] +++

+ Leader +

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief

Spirit Torment

Tomb Banshee

+ Battleline +

Spirit Hosts: 6  Spirit Hosts

Spirit Hosts: 6 Spirit Hosts

Battalion: Chainguard
. Chainrasp Horde:  20 Chainrasps
. Chainrasp Horde:  20 Chainrasps
. Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern: 3. Beacon of Nagashizzar, Chill Blade

+ Other +

Myrmourn Banshees: 3x 4 Myrmourn Banshees

+ Behemoth +

Black Coach

+ Allegiance +

Alliegiance: Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Edited by Shinzra

Rules question time!:) Can Arkhan cast nighthaunt endless spells If he is allied and within 18" of a NH wizard and the list contains that spell?

To generalize it a little...is there a difference between knowing the spell and casting it? Can Arkhan know the spell per his ability and not be able to cast it because of the NH spell warscroll?

Edited by Trayanee

Reiko is the way to go: versatile, fast, not expensive, nice ally for death in general, so many ways to use him.

Oly is more situational or you have to build the whole army around her.

just my 2cts (and BTW, I took the 3 - with the king - because I love the mini, oly being the less beloved of them )

I've done my second roster, so far seems to be a good choice:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

LEADERS
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

UNITS
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
10 x Chaingrasps (80)

BEHEMOTHS
Black Coach (280)
Black Coach (280)

BATTALIONS
Deathriders (130)

Chaingrasps role is just to screen Oly in first turn ( and if they survive in others).
Both Hexes are in deep strike trying to charge in first turn (on 8+ with Battalion buff).
Dreadblade Harrow, teleportation to give hexwrights Feel no Pain.

If Anything will get in to trouble Oly will use ability to teleport unit nearby her. 

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

What do you think about the NH specific endless spells? are they worth it? When I see the SCE ones, with the overpowered Comet spell, it is a no brainer. But for NH....it feels like there are some alternatives in the normal Migic box...

I personally believe they are all junk, especially compared to what stormcast got. The charge up and explode one will never reach 20. The scythe is worse imo than pendelum because at least with pendelum you can ensure your own units won't be hit. The last one doesn't do much that regular endless spells can't do better.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, GeneralZero said:

Reiko is the way to go: versatile, fast, not expensive, nice ally for death in general, so many ways to use him.

Oly is more situational or you have to build the whole army around her.

just my 2cts (and BTW, I took the 3 - with the king - because I love the mini, oly being the less beloved of them )

Oly looks amezing and she can do tons of mortal wounds I agree with Reiko that he is more versatile but im afraid that it can be too much the same with a mounted Knight of shroud.

1 hour ago, pikachoux said:

Oly looks amezing and she can do tons of mortal wounds I agree with Reiko that he is more versatile but im afraid that it can be too much the same with a mounted Knight of shroud.

Yes, the mKoS is really good as well as fast and able to reposition while not having a giant "Shoot me I am scary" sign over his head like Lady Olynder.  He also doesn't have a mentally scary potential ability like Valantian like stealing CPs or potentially one shotting a general in one turn.

Because Reikenor is versatile and fast, but also doesn't have any big 'wombo combo' type abilities to draw too much enemy ire, he is basically a mKoS+.

He is also pretty cheap for what he does and is a wizard without needing an artifact.  With him and a mKoS + Midnight Tome, you get two mounted wizards.  With the mKoS as your general, you spread out their threat generation instead of investing it all into one angry model that will be focused.

You will notice people are debating how to keep Olyander alive long enough for her to do her job, but no one is really worried about it with Reikenor.  It is not because Reikenor is more durable, it is because it is implicit in his less fearsome stats that he will not draw the sort of damage that Lady Olynder will, and that is because while Reikenor can do work, he will do it more steadily over the course of a game in a way the enemy will think they can mitigate and therefor redirect their focus elsewhere.

I think Reikenor is superior for my play style for instance, because threat saturation is a much more effective way to keep the enemy off balance than one central wrecking ball.

Came up with this 2k list. Would prefer a second unit of ghasts over the rasps and I’m not 100% sold on the wraiths but I think they do some good things for this list.

Olynder- 240

Reiknor - 180

Black Coach - 280

Black Coach - 280

30 ghasts- 360

10 hexwraiths - 320

40 rasps - 280

Geminids - 40

Would love to hear what you guys think would improve this list. The coaches and Reiknor are non-negotiable changes simply because I love the sculpts, but otherwise would like to be as competitive as possible. Considered LoN or just an allied Mortarch for extra heals but I can’t do LoN full on with 2 coaches and Reiknor and I don’t think the mortarchs are good enough with so much invested into heroes already, except maybe swapping Olynder for Arkhan. REALLY wish that Mannfred was just 20 points less ??? but I think Nighthaunt allegiance is much more important than normal death

This is outrageous.  I'm forced to get rid of and sell my soul wars box and quit nighthaunt. With GWs new pricing, it will cost far too much to complete the army I wanted.  It is a sad, sad state of affairs when they are pricing a black coach at more than the cost of Nagash, the supreme lord of undead himself.  A single 80 point unit of 10 push fit models for what they're asking makes running any kind of horde asinine. And then they have the nerve to put incomplete units in the soulwars box. I'm so sad to quit nighthaunt but I can't budget this with good conscience.  GW was already expensive enough as it was, the fact that they're raising prices further is... disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Vhordrai

37 minutes ago, Vhordrai said:

This is outrageous.  I'm forced to get rid of and sell my soul wars box and quit nighthaunt. With GWs new pricing, it will cost far too much to complete the army I wanted.  It is a sad, sad state of affairs when they are pricing a black coach at more than the cost of Nagash, the supreme lord of undead himself.  A single 80 point unit of 10 push fit models for what they're asking makes running any kind of horde asinine. And then they have the nerve to put incomplete units in the soulwars box. I'm so sad to quit nighthaunt but I can't budget this with good conscience.  GW was already expensive enough as it was, the fact that they're raising prices further is... disappointing to say the least.

I agree that the push fit pricing is crazy. Asked a buddy if he wants to split another souls wars box because it would be dumb not too for the cost of two chain rasp boxes. I really only need 20 more chain rasp to make one unit of 40, but there's no way I'd buy two push fit boxes for that price. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PUFNSTUF said:

I agree that the push fit pricing is crazy. Asked a buddy if he wants to split another souls wars box because it would be dumb not too for the cost of two chain rasp boxes. I really only need 20 more chain rasp to make one unit of 40, but there's no way I'd buy two push fit boxes for that price. 

Not saying it wouldn’t be nice if GW priced horde units more cheaply, but there are far worse offenders. The poor fyreslayers have to pay $60 for 10 models, and they need 120 of them in a 2k army #ouch.

At least we only need 1 or 2 black coaches, and if you really want to save a buck or two, a lot of FLGS are offering discounts now to compete with the online retailers that have been doing the same for a while now.

My 2k list (if it doesn’t change) is $550 after tax. Yes, that’s more than average, but it’s not that far from a “cheap” army. The real killer is how meta hordes are right now

then play half horde!

I think that 20  chainrasp+ 30 reapers+ whatever is enough, depending on your orientaion (hex+coach, oly+spirits etc...). Event 2*30 reapers

That's what I do. Fed up of moving 100+ miniatures of hordes just to abuse rules. I prefer to see a mourngul and a coach :P

Edited by GeneralZero

1 hour ago, Vhordrai said:

I'm saying it everywhere, if you can, boycott the product. You are doing the right thing. Tell as many people as you can not to buy them. Hammer GW with email about this highway robbery. The only way to stop it from happening with every new army that comes out is to hurt their wallet now. 

I love Nighthaunt but I will be building my army with Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts simply because they are cheaper.

28 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

Not saying it wouldn’t be nice if GW priced horde units more cheaply, but there are far worse offenders. The poor fyreslayers have to pay $60 for 10 models, and they need 120 of them in a 2k army #ouch.

At least we only need 1 or 2 black coaches, and if you really want to save a buck or two, a lot of FLGS are offering discounts now to compete with the online retailers that have been doing the same for a while now.

My 2k list (if it doesn’t change) is $550 after tax. Yes, that’s more than average, but it’s not that far from a “cheap” army. The real killer is how meta hordes are right now

True about fyreslayers, its actually why I told a friend not to start them unless they had the cash. Least the difference with them is they aren't push fit, that's my main gripe.