AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Think I might try out an all cav list for Nighthaunt for funsies. Don't expect much out of it. But it looks fun to play:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
Black Coach (280)
Black Coach (280)
Deathriders (130)
Deathriders (130)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 87

General rule for GW, but English rules take precedence. If there's a disagreement between the English rules and other languages, the English rules are correct. (After all, the foreign language rules are translated from the English ones.)

Email GW about it though and they should put out a Spanish FAQ/Errata. 

Buy one of the smaller sets which go on pre oder next Saturday and 3 Cairns and two of the etb glaivewraith stalker sets after that you have a unit of 10 Grimghast (8 from the sets +3 Cairns) one with bell spare and two units of 8 glaivewraith stalker each with a drummer and two spares + an additional executioner

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Heu guys! I have bought the starter set but the unit sizes are odd. What do you recommend guys? Is it a general consensus of how to fix this in a easy way??

My “easy way” was buy two Soul Wars sets and trade from day one.  Which is crazy hard around here because most people either want to keep the sets complete or they just gave away half of the minis to close friends as a lure to get them into AOS.

eBay is an option.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Heu guys! I have bought the starter set but the unit sizes are odd. What do you recommend guys? Is it a general consensus of how to fix this in a easy way??

I see five options:

1/ use them for painting practice

2/ use stalkers and a spare cairn wraith as ‘counts as’ reapers to make a unit of 10

3/ use 3 of the reapers as ‘counts as’ stalkers to make a unit of 8

4/  convert the reapers into chainghasts

5/ all of the above

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Bladegheist vs Reapers  :  reapers are battleline,  cheaper but Bladegheist hit a bit harder.

What do you think guys? What are the best of the 2? I've read for some the Blade are better, for others Reapers are the to go unit.

Keep in mind a few things.

-Reapers and bladegheists have different reroll requirements, one needs a friendly unit near them while the other needs a unit above 5.

-Reapers have a 2inch range over the 1inch range of the bladegheist. (which is significant ,in my opinion, with the base sizes of them)

-Bladegheist have more attacks on the charge and can move around combats easier.

-One is obviously battleline

Edited by Spooked
Forgot a reason

Now, I know this might be a odd question, but I see a lot of Spirit hosys in peoples lists and I can't quite figure out why. I know their stat lines, their abilities and such, but in comparison to Chainrasps, they seem a bit inferior. Your getting far less wounds, and about 1 MW per Host, since Hosts only pop on a 6. Is there something I'm missing?

20 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Now, I know this might be a odd question, but I see a lot of Spirit hosys in peoples lists and I can't quite figure out why. I know their stat lines, their abilities and such, but in comparison to Chainrasps, they seem a bit inferior. Your getting far less wounds, and about 1 MW per Host, since Hosts only pop on a 6. Is there something I'm missing?

Depending on the General, the Mortarch or Lord of the Spirit Hosts trait bring back entire models, so that makes multiwound models far tastier to revive than single wounds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Hey my dudes; any word on when Bladegheists/Black Coach are being released?

I see the Dreadblades are on their way..

Eventually TM.

I imagine before the month is out, but they are really stretching out the releases to cover as much time as possible.  It seems to me they are quenching the AoS thirst before a huge kick back into 40k related releases.  Kill Team, Space Wolves, Orks, etc.

3 hours ago, Rid said:

Chainrasps will bounce off things like stardrakes and treelords where the spirit hosts will cut them down with comparative ease

I don’t know now that it’s natural 6’s that stardrake is going to heal all the damage you put on him and bounce mortals back as well

Edited by stocke2
Grammer

Hey all. 

My wife is starting Nighthaunts and wants me to help her with a list.  She wants to play a female centric list (of course), so that has me leaning towards the Shrieker Host.  Here are my thoughts so far;

Heroes
Lady Olynder- General, w/ lifestealer 240
Banshee w/ midnight tome, spectral tether 80
Spirit of Torment 120
Spirit of Torment 120
Guardian of souls w/ lantern of Nagagishizzar, soul cage140

Battleline
10 chainrasps 80
10 chainrasps 80
10 chainrasps 80

Other
4 myrmourn banshee 80
4 myrmourn banshee 80
10 dreadscythe Harridens 180
Mournghoul 300

Endless spells
Gravetide 30
Geminids 40
Prismatic Palisade 30

Battalions
Shrieker Host 140

Total: 2000

Essentially I am trying to capitalize on two synergies. First is bravery shenanigans and the second is a negative penalties to hit. The shieker host forces the opponent to reroll rolls of 1 on battleshock, and are unable to be targeted with inspiring presence when close to models in this formation. I want to further augment this with the army's natural -1 debuff,  and the gravetide.  Hopefully between all this, it will help force some battleshock losses.

The second is stacking negative penalties to hit on dangerous units. The harridens have a -1 to hit penalty to models within 3. The Mournghul has -1 to models within 6. Lady Olynder has a spell that also gives -1, and lastly the Geminids can also give a -1. That's a possible -4 that can be stacked!

So it plays on ghosts strengths... being spooky and hard to touch. However I have some concerns. There is a low model count comparitivley. The Harridens are most likely over priced, and feel like they should be in squads of 20.  I try to compensate for this by amping up the healing. My battle line is minimal, and will most likely just drop on clear objectives later in the game.

Other than that, I have 3 wizards, and two units that can also unbind. The palisade was put in due to me having 30 points left over. It will be useful for blocking firing lanes and messing with the opponent.

I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions on this list.

4 hours ago, bonzai said:

Hey all. 

My wife is starting Nighthaunts and wants me to help her with a list.  She wants to play a female centric list (of course), so that has me leaning towards the Shrieker Host.  Here are my thoughts so far;

Heroes
Lady Olynder- General, w/ lifestealer 240
Banshee w/ midnight tome, spectral tether 80
Spirit of Torment 120
Spirit of Torment 120
Guardian of souls w/ lantern of Nagagishizzar, soul cage140

Battleline
10 chainrasps 80
10 chainrasps 80
10 chainrasps 80

Other
4 myrmourn banshee 80
4 myrmourn banshee 80
Mournghoul 300

Endless spells
Gravetide 30
Geminids 40
Prismatic Palisade 30

Battalions
Shrieker Host 140

Total: 2000

Essentially I am trying to capitalize on two synergies. First is bravery shenanigans and the second is a negative penalties to hit. The shieker host forces the opponent to reroll rolls of 1 on battleshock, and are unable to be targeted with inspiring presence when close to models in this formation. I want to further augment this with the army's natural -1 debuff,  and the gravetide.  Hopefully between all this, it will help force some battleshock losses.

The second is stacking negative penalties to hit on dangerous units. The harridens have a -1 to hit penalty to models within 3. The Mournghul has -1 to models within 6. Lady Olynder has a spell that also gives -1, and lastly the Geminids can also give a -1. That's a possible -4 that can be stacked!

So it plays on ghosts strengths... being spooky and hard to touch. However I have some concerns. There is a low model count comparitivley. The Harridens are most likely over priced, and feel like they should be in squads of 20.  I try to compensate for this by amping up the healing. My battle line is minimal, and will most likely just drop on clear objectives later in the game.

Other than that, I have 3 wizards, and two units that can also unbind. The palisade was put in due to me having 30 points left over. It will be useful for blocking firing lanes and messing with the opponent.

I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions on this list.

Just like you said i feel like your units are too small and will be easy to pick off entirely, rending your healing abilities useless (cant bring back whiped units). Its hard to tweak if you want to keep the theme though, and still keep that mournghul. Maybe you could drop the spirit torments to free up 240p to spend on either upgrading the chainrasps to 3x20, or expanding the harridans to 20 and 15? Alternatively, drop 1 spirit torment and one of the endless spells and just put one harridan unit to 20.

Third option, drop a spirit torment and replace the chainrasp with 3x3 spirit hosts. They get a better ethereal save and benefit more from Olynders command ability (bringing back whole models). 

Greetings from beyond the grave. I have a life and death thing going on building an Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt army. Got my Nighthaunt book a couple of days ago. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Would love a competitive list with Lady Olynder (lovely model). Any suggestions? Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, CoffeeGrunt said:

General rule for GW, but English rules take precedence. If there's a disagreement between the English rules and other languages, the English rules are correct. (After all, the foreign language rules are translated from the English ones.)

Email GW about it though and they should put out a Spanish FAQ/Errata. 

make me remember when the knight vexxilior in the previous stormcast book had his old overpowered warscroll WITH the point drop...

Some people really wanted to play him like that

So trying to think up a 1000 point list as my starting point to then go from there. Don't have my book in front of me right now so costs may be a tad off. I'm mostly wanting to be able to fit olynder and a unit of harridans in because I adore those models and love the banshee feel.

Heroes
Lady Olynder - 240
Guardian of souls - 140

Battleline
20 Chainghasts - 160
10 Grimghast - 160

Other:
10 Dreadscythe Harridans - 180
4 Myrmourn banshees - 80

Endless Spells:
Gemenids - 40

I'm a little unsure about it really, not sure quite how much punch it would have. One of my regular opponents is a khorne player so I'd probably swap the banshees for some stalkers for when against him as anti magic wouldn't help me there. There are a lot of nighthaunt models I really want to use but alas not much can be fit into 1k ;) And I'd want to start there to get used to the army. Also considered using another 20 chainghast unit but figured grimghast would be nice for the -1 rend. There is also the possibility of spirit hosts or hexwraiths instead due to the resurrection mechanic from Olynder.

As I progressed in points I'd probably look at adding stalkers and bladegheists in there and maybe some more banshees, both tomb and myrnmourn. But I'd need to get a strong core built first.