10 Grimghast Reapers

20 Chainrasp Hordes

2 Chainghasts

Quicksilver Swords

1000pts 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nevar said:

My concern with Lady Olynder and the only reason I do not own her, is deep-striking her seems extremely risky.  She arrives after her chance to use her abilities since they happen in the previous phase, and she is left with charging in or standing there hoping to not die.  She potentially has to stand there for two whole enemy turns if you are not careful.

Seems like you need to drop her in Battle Round 1, Turn 2 so that there is a chance you get to use her immediately if you get the double turn, or at least she only stands around like an idiot for one turn since the enemy can't double turn you.

I was talking to a 40k player who was thinking about playing AoS and asking me about her and I also told him she is sort of like the old Doom of Malanti of the Tyranids.  Imagine her in LoN with two Mortis Engines.  They could just sit among a throng of zombies pulsing the enemy front line to death.

I didnt deepstrike her once throughout the 3 games, i simply floated her up the board. MWs were the only thing that threatened her (slaughter priests, lord arcanums, etc) and once they were removed she had free reign. I underworlded a group of Grimghasts and they made a 10" for there charge roll on game 1 turn 1 and took out the knight incantor and ballista. They then survived a charge from 5 sequitors with all the buffs and the remaining group of 3 where teleported back to the MoG to then be healed back up to full on the next turn.

The only let down in the list was the Lord Executioner who i only added as i had pts left over, otherwise it would of been 2 more chainghasts that i didnt get time to build up beforehand. He gets wounds through but its 1 damage.... He is essentially a speed bump for a turn or two for some heroes.

*I also drowned a bastiladon in a flood of chainrasps haha! :D eat 60 attacks (MoG spell) on a 4+ 3+ rerolling 1's to wound.  It is safe to say he didnt survive the night... ;)*

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

15 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I didnt deepstrike her once throughout the 3 games, i simply floated her up the board. MWs were the only thing that threatened her (slaughter priests, lord arcanums, etc) and once they were removed she had free reign. I underworlded a group of Grimghasts and they made a 10" for there charge roll on game 1 turn 1 and took out the knight incantor and ballista. They then survived a charge from 5 sequitors with all the buffs and the remaining group of 3 where teleported back to the MoG to then be healed back up to full on the next turn.

The only let down in the list was the Lord Executioner who i only added as i had pts left over, otherwise it would of been 2 more chainghasts that i didnt get time to build up beforehand. He gets wounds through but its 1 damage.... He is essentially a speed bump for a turn or two for some heroes.

*I also drowned a bastiladon in a flood of chainrasps haha! :D eat 60 attacks (MoG spell) on a 4+ 3+ rerolling 1's to wound.  It is safe to say he didnt survive the night... ;)*

Quasi-suicide charges like that is an interesting idea.  Going in, dealing damage, and then pulling them out with the commander's teleport ability is a cool use for that.  I had thought of it as a way to relocate important models mid battle, but not in a conservation of forces idea.  I could have used that to save my Spirit Hosts in my last game and didn't even consider it.

Makes me think an execution battalion with large groups of Spirit Hosts and Lady Olynder behind a shield of Chainrasps could do some serious deep-strike offenses, and still muster a meaty front line afterward by pulling Spirit Hosts back to Olynder after they have executed their strikes.

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

Quasi-suicide charges like that is an interesting idea.  Going in, dealing damage, and then pulling them out with the commander's teleport ability is a cool use for that.  I had thought of it as a way to relocate important models mid battle, but not in a conservation of forces idea.  I could have used that to save my Spirit Hosts in my last game and didn't even consider it.

Makes me think an execution battalion with large groups of Spirit Hosts and Lady Olynder behind a shield of Chainrasps could do some serious deep-strike offenses, and still muster a meaty front line afterward by pulling Spirit Hosts back to Olynder after they have executed their strikes.

See im not just a pretty face after all ;);) but yeah its always good to view things not on paper or on pure math-hammer alone. Yes they are key parts of list building, but experience, tactics and your opponent are also huge players in what is good in a list.

Im from quite a competitive gaming community so i have to think up combos like this to survive every weekend at the club!! ? the relocation trait is priceless, its like my daughters of khaine khailebron teleport but backwards. Mobility is key in all games. Not every turn you have to use Olynder's Command Ability as some times you wont need to use it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

See im not just a pretty face after all ;);) but yeah its always good to view things not on paper or on pure math-hammer alone. Yes they are key parts of list building, but experience, tactics and your opponent are also huge players in what is good in a list.

Im from quite a competitive gaming community so i have to think up combos like this to survive every weekend at the club!! ? the relocation trait is priceless, its like my daughters of khaine khailebron teleport but backwards. Mobility is key in all games. Not every turn you have to use Olynder's Command Ability as some times you wont need to use it. 

I basically forgot the ability existed all together.  I had a spirit host with 1 wound left hanging out in a useless melee... I could have ported it to my mKoS and returned d3 models, instead of leaving it there to slow down a bunch of orruk brutes who were not even relevant anymore.

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

I basically forgot the ability existed all together.  I had a spirit host with 1 wound left hanging out in a useless melee... I could have ported it to my mKoS and returned d3 models, instead of leaving it there to slow down a bunch of orruk brutes who were not even relevant anymore.

Just remember its at the start of the movement phase so it wont be an instant heal so plan ahead where you will place them. I used that command ability in every game:

• In the instance i listed before.
  • Teleported my 20 chainrasps from my backline objective infront of Lady Olynder to block her from getting charged by 3 skull crushers of khorne. She could still swing back with her 2" reach on her staff.
  • After my chainrasps belly rubbed the bastiladon to death (i love dinos, lizardmen were my first army fantasy  army 11 years ago) i summoned them by Olynder once again to gain enough numbers of models to lock down and control a contested objective.

5 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

Next question: how did you fare in terms of mobility to contest the objectives?

I’m torn between a sturdy Olinder+ Spirit Host list or a cavalry battalion as the base for my army, with Reikenor...

Well these are not mutually exclusive.  You can do both.  The Death Rider bat is 1000 points about, and then you can throw in Olynder with an execution bat.  That is like 4 drops for first turn, three artifacts, 2 CP, and Olynder + Grimhailer.

8 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Well these are not mutually exclusive.  You can do both.  The Death Rider bat is 1000 points about, and then you can throw in Olynder with an execution bat.  That is like 4 drops for first turn, three artifacts, 2 CP, and Olynder + Grimhailer.

For 1k he could try an execution horde with Olynder, think its around 540pts before her. Even then you wouldnt need her exactly, you could go for a build that makes the Lord Executioner extremely hard to hit with the command trait and relic paired with his battalion ability.

Ive never been one for spirit hosts though, i saw a guy yesterday fluff his rolls for spirit hosts each fight phase, not getting any 6's off. Felt sorry for him haha! And when you think about it, they arent tough... 10 grimghasts is 20pts more and gets an additional wound with easier regen capabilities.  20 chainrasps have even more staying power.

But thats just my view, each time ive used them theyve had 1 really good fight phase then evaporate! 

32 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

ive seen alot of people forget feed on terror too... people seem to be only remembering the first 4 allegiance abilities hahah!!! :P 

Mate, I didn't remember any of the allegiance abilities ? 

Edited by Kirjava13

3 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Good thing we chose the army with the most allegiance abilities in the game! ?

Atleast its nothing like playing dark eldar, got to remember everything, all the stratagems, traits, power of pain, weapons, abilities, synergies... ? that army is the best written army out there for 40k (not broken, just good at everything if you know how to play them right), but if you dont know your book it goes down south quick!

57 minutes ago, Roostmanuva said:

I’m liking the idea of Nagash leading an all nighthaunt army, i don’t have either of the death battletomes at present, would this be viable with the legion of nagash book or shall I just stick to getting lady olynder?

Totally viable, although Nagash himself is nearly half of your army.

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Ive never been one for spirit hosts though, i saw a guy yesterday fluff his rolls for spirit hosts each fight phase, not getting any 6's off. Felt sorry for him haha! And when you think about it, they arent tough... 10 grimghasts is 20pts more and gets an additional wound with easier regen capabilities.  20 chainrasps have even more staying power.

But thats just my view, each time ive used them theyve had 1 really good fight phase then evaporate! 

Yes, but the Ruler of the Spirit Hosts is d3 models not wounds, so returning 1-3 Spirit Hosts is far more attrition effective than 1-3 Grimgasts.  Likewise Olynder's ability is models as well.  Both of those are best used on Spirit Hosts.

My FLGS is doing an escalation league for AoS. I’d like to use it as additional incentive on assembling and painting my new NH army. It will be over four weeks, with a 500, 750, 750 and 1000 cap for each of the weeks. Battleline requirement at 500 is 1. We are allowed to change the makeup of our lists from week to week (for instance, you’re not committed to using the same general for the duration).

Based on my NH plans, on the models I currently own, and on the models with no current release date (looking at you, Bladegheists and Guardian of Souls), I’d be playing with a very low model count 500-pointer of Olynder, 6 Spirit Hosts and the Shackles spell (20 points left over).

Thought? My only objective is to pressure myself in painting stuff. But at the same time I don’t want to go through the trouble of registering and scheduling games if my Week 1 games (500 pts) are all hopeless...

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

Yes, but the Ruler of the Spirit Hosts is d3 models not wounds, so returning 1-3 Spirit Hosts is far more attrition effective than 1-3 Grimgasts.  Likewise Olynder's ability is models as well.  Both of those are best used on Spirit Hosts.

Olinder can't take Ruler of the Spirit Host though, and her command ability can only be triggered if she is the general. So it's just impossible to combine both.
I think I might stick to my cavalry list on page 22, at least it'll be original.

Just now, The Cyclop Owl said:

Olinder can't take Ruler of the Spirit Host though, and her command ability can only be triggered if she is the general. So it's just impossible to combine both.
I think I might stick to my cavalry list on page 22, at least it'll be original.

Executioner Battalion includes a Lord Executioner who you make the general, or you make Olynder the general.  I was just pointing out that in both cases Spirit Hosts are superior.