AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Could anyone share their thoughts on Spirit Hosts? I used to play them in a block of 9 with ST in the back healing them and they were almost unlikable.

I was wondering what's the point of playing them in 3s if there is any? I'm thinking of only playing them in 6s and play them as an anvil but I might be missing something?

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Could anyone share their thoughts on Spirit Hosts? I used to play them in a block of 9 with ST in the back healing them and they were almost unlikable.

I was wondering what's the point of playing them in 3s if there is any? I'm thinking of only playing them in 6s and play them as an anvil but I might be missing something?

6 is preferable to 9 now I would think and with a Krulghast should be sufficiently survivable. Their bases are huge so with 9 you end up with a lot of models stuck out of combat with the new coherency rules.

1 minute ago, Virtus-XIV said:

6 is preferable to 9 now I would think and with a Krulghast should be sufficiently survivable. Their bases are huge so with 9 you end up with a lot of models stuck out of combat with the new coherency rules.

Totally agree. But what about 3 though? What would be their purpose? Simple roadblock?

Goonhammer releasing their quick blurb regarding our recent FAQ release. Nothing that we didn't already know, but its nice to read another perspective on it since there are so few people that play our army and talk about it.

Article Link

It would have made sense to make the Black Coach a monster, but alas another cold shoulder from our lord Nagash...

55 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

Goonhammer releasing their quick blurb regarding our recent FAQ release. Nothing that we didn't already know, but its nice to read another perspective on it since there are so few people that play our army and talk about it.

Article Link

It would have made sense to make the Black Coach a monster, but alas another cold shoulder from our lord Nagash...

That's really interesting. Where can we see that Kurdoss steals 2 CPs now? I'm not sure I got that.

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

That's really interesting. Where can we see that Kurdoss steals 2 CPs now? I'm not sure I got that.

According to the wording of the rules (7.0 HERO PHASE) during the hero phase each player selects a hero to use a command ability and each player gains a CP if their general is on the table. So I guess that means that is two chances to use his ability, once during your turn and once during your opponent's turn. 

Edited by CaptainSoup
  • LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

According to the wording of the rules (7.0 HERO PHASE) during the hero phase each player selects a hero to use a command ability and each player gains a CP if their general is on the table. So I guess that means that is two chances to use his ability, once during your turn and once during your opponent's turn. 

Kurdoss' warscroll specifies that his ability can be used "At the start of the enemy hero phase..." Is this being overridden by the new Core Rules? 

3 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Kurdoss' warscroll specifies that his ability can be used "At the start of the enemy hero phase..." Is this being overridden by the new Core Rules? 

The FAQ changed the wording:

Page 74 – Kurdoss Valentian, If I Cannot Rule, None Shall Rule! Change to: ‘At the start of the hero phase, if your opponent receives a command point for their general being on the battlefield, after they receive that command point, roll a dice. On a 5+, your opponent must subtract 1 from their command points and you receive 1 extra command point.’

It mentions the Hero Phase now, and does not specify a particular player, meaning that the ability can be used in each hero phase, ergo your Hero Phase and the opponent's Hero Phase. 

Edited by CaptainSoup
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, CaptainSoup said:

The FAQ changed the wording:

It mentions the Hero Phase now, and does not specify a particular player, meaning that the ability can be used in each hero phase, ergo your Hero Phase and the opponent's Hero Phase. 

That's really cool. Thanks for pointing that out!

Which is great, potentially stealing one CP a hero phase. It can take reliance off of CBs like Warlord or Command Entourage. Still worth taking for the extra enhancement, but the once-per-battle CP can be saved until after Kurdoss flubs a steal roll.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

There's a tournament (sovereign smash) coming up and I'm thinking I'll take my night haunt. I have a fairly meme list I'd like to share for thoughts.

The idea is to follow these strategies as a basic idea for how the list functions:

- rasps go into the underworld - wait until there's space in oppents territory and drop them down for Barge through enemy lines (extra VP), then go for Desecrate lands the next turn. If I drop them turn 3 or 4 I can bait hunters out of position or focus on removing them.

- GoS and Harrows are CP engine for the list. 5 redeploys, ward saves, all out attacks a battle round as needed. Towards end of game Harrows become teleporting objective stealers. The artifacts give me one turn to utterly wreck a problem unit with the +1 attack bubble and one turn where I can reload Banshees that are damaged. They'll usually either kill or die but I had room for another artifact so why not.

Banshee spam is the core of the list. The idea is to always be trading and MSU multicharge. They're simultaneously screens and hammers. With redeploy I can bait it so that the when one banshee is charged, on my turn I can trade up and multicharge that unit. Double turn hurts but it also resets my CP farm. If I can't redeploy to safety I spam 5+ wards. In a magic meta this many Banshees also just hard counters magic Dom lists.

I've had alright success play testing the list, I'm most concerned about facing off against other Night Haunt, unless they bring Nagash. Banshees are great at wrecking high armor so an ethereal opponent is going to dramatically reduce their output.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Emerald Host
- Grand Strategy: Fright or Flight

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (145)**
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon
Dreadblade Harrow (145)***
- Artefact: Beacon of Nagashizzar
Dreadblade Harrow (145)**
Dreadblade Harrow (145)*
Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)*
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer