AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

7 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't have yet the battletome. I need some advice.

1.  I have one set (soul wars): is it interesting for us to get a second one?

2. What are the units/heros in the  starter set that are interesting to have in more than one ?

3. I have several former NH units: 15 Hex, 6 spirits, 1 cairn, 1 tomb banshee, 1 mourngul . Are they usefull in this battle tome wise army?

1. It depends. I can see us playing 2 spirit torment or guards. Anyways there will be alternate models, but if you don't mind to have some monopose heroes it's fine. The chainrasp horde you can get it on ebay etc for a cheaper price.

2. Spirit torment, Guardian of souls. Spirit torment's heal is pretty neat (much better than guardian's), but it's useful to have wizards for dispells.

3. Look, the difference in power level of units doesn't kick in until you really know to play the game, you can play whatever you want most of the time and be fine. If you are asking if you "must" put them on the shelf, the answer is no.

But i would say that spirit hosts are the only ones that fullfill a role that nobody does well, MWs.

Tomb banshee requires a lot of set up, luck and/or pre-conditions to work off

The cairn is a big meh, except if you are short on heroes in your list and need somebody else to expand the 6++ bubble, otherwise you are better off using those points for an endless spell.

The mourngul is decent, nothing to write home about, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It suffers vastly against MWs tho.

Alright, here goes for a list...

(Anvil)

6x Spirit Hosts - 240

6x Spirit Hosts - 240

Spirit Torment - 120

Mortarch of Grief - 240

(Hammer)

20x Bladegheists - 360

Spirit Torment - 120

Guardian of Souls - 140

2x Chainghasts - 80

Mounted Knight of Shrouds - 140

12x Myrmourn Banshees - 210

Dreadblade Harrow - 100

1990 points

Edited by Neck-Romantic

6 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Alright, here goes for a list...

(Anvil)

6x Spirit Hosts

6x Spirit Hosts

Spirit Torment - 120

Mortarch of Grief - 240

(Hammer)

20x Bladegheists - 360

Spirit Torment - 120

Guardian of Souls - 140

2x Chainghasts - 80

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed

12x Myrmourn Banshees - 210

(If points allow either a second chunk of Bladegheists or Mourngul)

You only have two battleline units in there...

PS: apart from Miniwargaming and Guerilla Miniature Gaming, anybody has battle reports to share?

Edited by The Cyclop Owl

8 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

You only have two battleline units in there...

PS: apart from Miniwargaming and Guerilla Miniature Gaming, anybody has battle reports to share?

Doh! How many do you have to have lol? 

I just delved into AoS and havnt actually got a game in with my ghosts yet!

Edited by Neck-Romantic

4 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Doh! How many do you have to have lol? 

I just delved into AoS and havnt actually got a game in with my ghosts yet!

As you plan to play 2000p you must have 3+ battleline

I would say put in 20 chainrasp

Edited by Ahn-ket

I do own some chainrasp from the Boxed set, could easily drop the second torment for them. Possibly the chaingheists. 

This list represents all the things I own/have on preorder, minus the bladegeists and harrow so far.

4 dispells, lots of healing, some fast movers and layered buffs, with Myrmourns and Bladegheists as wildcards able to sprint off and mob targets of opportunity

Is it me or is the Harrow seeming like an autoinclude for his point cost?

Edited by Neck-Romantic

1 minute ago, Ahn-ket said:

Why not I start at 2000p half year ago and don't have any problems so far

Because:

- 2000 point games for newcomers take around 3+ hours. 

- You have to invest blindly since you don't know what you really want and how it works, you only have some ideas in your head that are likely to be based on wrong assumptions. You will make a lot of mistakes on your purchases.

- Your learning of the game will also be much slower due to information overload and time sinks. A few quick 1000 games will go miles ahead of playing 2000 games to learn the basic mechanics, tricks and timings.

- 1000 point games are perfectly reasonable to play and start with. So why go 2000 points.

6 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Its my area's meta

Even for newcomers? It sure sounds kind of weird. If you want to play 2000 points right off the bat, go for it, i am just giving out some advice.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

To be honest, if you are starting out don't play 2000 games.

I even suggest starting with Path to Glory, or escalation leagues tbh.

If you don't mind learning the game rules itself and not worrying about army creation right away you can even get started with Skirmish and one or two units.

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

are the dreadblade harrows any good? is there a warscroll somewhere? I can't find any infos about them and I'd like to use them in the cavalry/black coach bataillon...

thx in advance

They get a buff depending on what phase of the combat they are in.  +1 to something when they charge (hit/attacks/forget) and then +1 to something else if they have not charged (wound/hit/dunno).

They get a +1 to hit if they are nearby a Knight of Shrouds.

They can teleport anywhere on the board 9" away from any enemy models during any movement phase instead of moving normally.

They are heroes so they can be your general, and/or carry artifacts, which is important in a lot of the new scenarios where heroes, mages, and artifact weilders are sometimes required for scoring.

They are pretty good in melee for their price.

They are fast flying cavalry.

So, what would you guys use the glaivewraith stalkers for?

I saw the bladegheist revenants and they also have the retrat and charge ability, but they have better attacks and a faster Move, so they seem to fill the same slot as glaivewraiths but only better? ?

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

So, what would you guys use the glaivewraith stalkers for?

I saw the bladegheist revenants and they also have the retrat and charge ability, but they have better attacks and a faster Move, so they seen to fill the same slot as glaivewraiths but only better? ?

Last minute objective nabbers, thats the only use I see for them..... Shove them in the underworld and make your opponent forget about them then bam they do something for there low pts cost. 

Ugly models, bad rules and weird unit sizes... weakest thing in the whole book ?

7 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Last minute objective nabbers, thats the only use I see for them..... Shove them in the underworld and make your opponent forget about them then bam they do something for there low pts cost. 

Ugly models, bad rules and weird unit sizes... weakest thing in the whole book ?

I actually love their models. But everything else seems overwhelmingly mediocre about them. So I was hoping someone here would tell me that I've missed something about them.

Especially since bladegheists can do what they do only a lot better. ?

Edited by Mikeymajq

16 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

I actually love their models. But everything else seems overwhelmingly mediocre about them. So I was hoping someone here would tell me that I've missed something about them.

Especially since bladegheists can do what they do only a lot better. ?

I plan to use them to keep charging and retreating with their drum and otherwise supporting my other units. They're fairly cheap so not bad to fill gaps and I do quite like the models. Probably good to swat horde units down whereas bladegheists will likely be better vs elite stuff (haven't seen bladegheist profile alas)

Other than that it's only 60 for a unit of 4 so super cheap if you need a unit to sit back on objectives or just appear and nab something.

So far right off then have been doing well for me for not very many points. However that's just me running with the current models. Haven't tried other models to see if they perform better yet. 

Had plenty a time when I've gone in for units that looked better on paper but simply weren't in practice. 

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:So, what would you guys use the glaivewraith stalkers for?I saw the bladegheist revenants and they also have the retrat and charge ability, but they have better attacks and a faster Move, so they seem to fill the same slot as glaivewraiths but only better? ?

I’ve been thinking about that for the last week or two. What is the point of glaivewraith stalkers?

I have come to the conclusion that they are a training unit.

When one thinks about it, the new Nighthaunt assault builds aren’t going to be simple to use. It will take a lot of finesse to get the most out of the retreat/charge along with the new pile in rules and allegiance abilities. There is serious advantages to be had from extra movement and engaging key units when they don’t want to be engaged.  Only practice and getting used to the idea of high tempo assaults will bring satisfactory results.

I can see a lot of people with new NH armies getting tabled because they expect the stat lines to carry the day. They never do. The new NH is an aggressive army but it is also an army that needs thought each turn to get it to work. Practice and experience makes it easier. 

So the glaivewraith stalkers are there to use in small games while one gets the hang of how the new NH work.

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I plan to use them to keep charging and retreating with their drum and otherwise supporting my other units. They're fairly cheap so not bad to fill gaps and I do quite like the models. Probably good to swat horde units down whereas bladegheists will likely be better vs elite stuff (haven't seen bladegheist profile alas)

Other than that it's only 60 for a unit of 4 so super cheap if you need a unit to sit back on objectives or just appear and nab something.

Bladegheists have 2 attacks each on 3+ 3+, -1 rend and get an extra attack on the charge. Gets to reroll hit rolls within 12" of a spirit torment, also they have 8" move instead of the glaives 6".  Depending ob their points cost they can really be labeled as plain better. 

54 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

Bladegheists have 2 attacks each on 3+ 3+, -1 rend and get an extra attack on the charge. Gets to reroll hit rolls within 12" of a spirit torment, also they have 8" move instead of the glaives 6".  Depending ob their points cost they can really be labeled as plain better. 

They cost 90 points 5.   18 Point vs 15 points per model.

Another difference is range.

Edited by Keldaur
  • Thanks 1

Glaivewraiths dont even get a max discount or a unit leader... 

I to like the models, working on a full squad currently, but I don't really see them doing much outside of cheap objective holders.

I'm hoping that they'll get tweaked or perhaps a shadespire hero of sorts that'll affect them but I wont hold my breath. 

Kinda silly for them to do with the flood of them coming from the new mini starter sets.

Edited by Vasshpit