AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

14 hours ago, DrThunder said:

Would the Briarqueens Thorns count as battleline since they have the Chainrasp keyword?

Afraid not. The Thorns don't really have any battlefield role... they form a required retinue for the Briar Queen, who'd take up a leader slot. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Fulkes said:

So I picked up Soul Wars today, should my next purchase (other than some characters as I've got one of most of them as well) after this box be another Soul Wars, one of the smaller boxes, or should I be looking at something else?

It depends on what sort of lists/play styles you have in mind (and whether you are the competitive type as well),  but I’d say that - overall - another Soul Wars box is probably not one of the best ways forward for you (or indeed for most people who are seeking to expand their initial NH collection). This is because:

• You’re going to be getting more Glaivewraith Stalkers - one of the worst units in the entire game. Seriously.
  • You now have 4 Grimghast Reapers. With an additional box you’ll get up to 8 - still not enough to field the minimum sized unit if 10. Years after, I’m still annoyed by this frankly silly choice (i.e. packaging four Reapers)  by GW.
  • Two Lord Executioners are very rarely seen. There’s one battalion that sort of works, but it’s a weird niche and, in my opinion, it was never good. Having two of the other characters, though, us not a bad thing!

If you have quite a few characters already, you’re probably better off by getting some units separately. Chainrasps are good, but you need a LOT of them to make them work in Nighthaunts. Spirit Hosts and Grimghast Reapers are two favourites of mine as battle line choices. Hexwraiths never worked for me but people are now using them quite a lot, particularly because of the Dolorous Guard Battalion. You probably want some Bladegheist Revenants or Dreadscythe Harridans as well. Lady Olynder is a piece every NH player should have IMHO.

Hope that helps - happy to be more precise if you have some other indications as to what you have in mind in terms if future lists.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Thamalys said:

It depends on what sort of lists/play styles you have in mind (and whether you are the competitive type as well),  but I’d say that - overall - another Soul Wars box is probably not one of the best ways forward for you (or indeed for most people who are seeking to expand their initial NH collection). This is because:

• You’re going to be getting more Glaivewraith Stalkers - one of the worst units in the entire game. Seriously.
  • You now have 4 Grimghast Reapers. With an additional box you’ll get up to 8 - still not enough to field the minimum sized unit if 10. Years after, I’m still annoyed by this frankly silly choice (i.e. packaging four Reapers)  by GW.
  • Two Lord Executioners are very rarely seen. There’s one battalion that sort of works, but it’s a weird niche and, in my opinion, it was never good. Having two of the other characters, though, us not a bad thing!

If you have quite a few characters already, you’re probably better off by getting some units separately. Chainrasps are good, but you need a LOT of them to make them work in Nighthaunts. Spirit Hosts and Grimghast Reapers are two favourites of mine as battle line choices. Hexwraiths never worked for me but people are now using them quite a lot, particularly because of the Dolorous Guard Battalion. You probably want some Bladegheist Revenants or Dreadscythe Harridans as well. Lady Olynder is a piece every NH player should have IMHO.

Hope that helps - happy to be more precise if you have some other indications as to what you have in mind in terms if future lists.

Thanks for the heads up! I've got no specific plans so far. I chose Nighthaunt over IDK for my new year, new hobby resolution as something I can reasonably get back into painting with and other than wanting grumpy ol' Kurdoss and the Black Coach I've got no real plans on how I want to run the army yet. I think I might just go for the wide collection approach so even if the rules change I have options.

• Like 1

Hi all. I recently traded my Maggotkin for a nighthaunt force and would really appreciate some direction on where to go with them for a semi competitive list.

2 Knight of Shrouds
2 Guardian of Souls
2 Dreadblade Harrows
2 Spirit Torment
2 x 40 Chainrasps
30 Grimghast Reapers
6 Spirit Hosts
8 Banshees

I'd like to keep the chainrasp in the list as I've never played with a horde army so this would be my chance to try something different.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cchalmers said:

Hi all. I recently traded my Maggotkin for a nighthaunt force and would really appreciate some direction on where to go with them for a semi competitive list.

At first - choose your direction.

If you are fond of endless tides of ghostly flesh - Legion Of Grief is your choice.

If you are fond of rapid strikes from above and tactical shenanigans - go to NightHaunt allegiance.

If you wanna go to Legion Of Grief:

1) Necromancer - must have for his unique spell Dance Macabre, which makes unit fight twice. Reapers, who fights twice - glorious

2) Another 4 banshees - they are great in maximum count

And you are ready to fight at 2000pts!

Necro

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

Dreadblade Harrow as general

40x rasps

2x20 rasps

30 reapers

12 banshees

If you wanna go to Nighthaunts:

1) Lady Olinder - our lady of grief, our mortal spam, our mighty hero. One of the most beautiful models entire AoS.

2) Vampire Lord as ally - for additional attack and revive

3) Hexwratihs for Dolorios guard batallion - to keep our Lady bold

4) Reikenor + Chonomatic Cogs - to make underword strikes much more accurate and deadly

Something like that:

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

Olinder

Reikenor

40x rasps

6x Spirit Hosts

30 reapers

12 banshees

Chronomatic Cogs

Edited by Ranzou
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ranzou said:

At first - choose your direction.

If you are fond of endless tides of ghostly flesh - Legion Of Grief is your choice.

If you are fond of rapid strikes from above and tactical shenanigans - go to NightHaunt allegiance.

If you wanna go to Legion Of Grief:

1) Necromancer - must have for his unique spell Dance Macabre, which makes unit fight twice. Reapers, who fights twice - glorious

2) Another 4 banshees - they are great in maximum count

And you are ready to fight at 2000pts!

Necro

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

Dreadblade Harrow as general

40x rasps

2x20 rasps

30 reapers

12 banshees

If you wanna go to Nighthaunts:

1) Lady Olinder - our lady of grief, our mortal spam, our mighty hero. One of the most beautiful models entire AoS.

2) Vampire Lord as ally - for additional attack and revive

3) Hexwratihs for Dolorios guard batallion - to keep our Lady bold

4) Reikenor + Chonomatic Cogs - to make underword strikes much more accurate and deadly

Something like that:

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

Olinder

Reikenor

40x rasps

6x Spirit Hosts

30 reapers

12 banshees

Chronomatic Cogs

These two lists are both incredible convenient as they're full of models I bloody love! 

I imagine I'll start with the necro so I have an army ready for post lockdown, and build towards the second one as I love Lady Olinder ❤️

Thanks for the help!!!

On 1/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, Cchalmers said:

I recently traded my Maggotkin for a nighthaunt force

Wise of you to embrace the ethereal prowess... welcome aboard!

I second both options put forward by @Ranzou. I would just add that, within the semi-competitive space, this faction offers an awful lot of flexibility. Big blocks of ethereal units are definitely a way forward. The idea of MSU lists has been talked about a lot (you can do seriously silly things...) and I do not dispute that's a very strong option (albeit I do question the effectiveness of fishing for Wave of Terror), but at the end of the day your success is going to be dictated by your perseverance. Mastering Nighthaunt means mastering movement, which is never easy - particularly in the time of long-range shooting / mortal wounds output. If you can actually play, go for it and stick with whatever list you pick for a good while!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/12/2021 at 11:34 PM, Thamalys said:

Wise of you to embrace the ethereal prowess... welcome aboard!

I second both options put forward by @Ranzou. I would just add that, within the semi-competitive space, this faction offers an awful lot of flexibility. Big blocks of ethereal units are definitely a way forward. The idea of MSU lists has been talked about a lot (you can do seriously silly things...) and I do not dispute that's a very strong option (albeit I do question the effectiveness of fishing for Wave of Terror), but at the end of the day your success is going to be dictated by your perseverance. Mastering Nighthaunt means mastering movement, which is never easy - particularly in the time of long-range shooting / mortal wounds output. If you can actually play, go for it and stick with whatever list you pick for a good while!

To add to this, remember your support heroes and what they do. A guardian of souls and a spirit torment together supporting your main units is big. Rerolling hits of 1 and +1 to wound from these heroes can really be useful. Nighthaunt in general lacks rending weapons so maximising wounds going through is big. 

Always remember to protect the heroes. Like in any death faction, heroes hold the army together. 

Edited by Saxon
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2020 at 4:14 AM, EnixLHQ said:

Okay, so this is pretty easy to hash out, but is kind of complicated to explain.

In an Activation War (questions like this), ties and conflicts are resolved by the following:

Whoever turn it is, their abilities resolve first and take effect first. Then the other player's abilities and effects happen. This applies to everything happening in the same phase. Anything happening after that phase happens after I'm terms of effect, too. The last thing to be true is the thing that's true.

So, for example, Soul Cage takes place in the hero phase. The Hermdar command ability takes place in the Combat Phase, so since the ability takes place after the spell was cast, it overrides that part of Soul Cage. In this case, Skull-breakers and Oath-takers takes place last, is true last, so therefore is true.

Yep, they can negate half of our spell at the cost of a CP.

Where did you reference this?

Edited by JackOfBlades

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

To add to this, remember your support heroes and what they do. A guardian of souls and a spirit torment together supporting your main units is big. Rerolling hits of 1 and +1 to wound from these heroes can really be useful. Nighthaunt in general lacks rending weapons so maximising wounds going through is big. 

Always remember to protect the heroes. Like in any death faction, heroes hold the army together. 

In the Kroak/Teclis world, is there much you can do about protecting them? 

5 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

In the Kroak/Teclis world, is there much you can do about protecting them? 

No you are sadly correct. These auto-mechanic stunts that GW are pulling with these two in particular are just poor rule writing. Armies like nighthaunt suffer disproportionately from these kind of mechanics because 1 - the support heroes keep the army together and 2- our heroes are pretty squishy despite the un-rendable save and the 6+ feel no pain. I guess it goes for most death factions. 

Comets call (i think this is the infinite range lots of MW one) is a really poor mechanic for the game in general. You can hide Kroak out of sight and murder. It's just silly. I haven't come up against Teclis yet but i assume its similar? 

Hi there, Long time listener, first time caller...

Any ideas on this list I have so far;

Reikenor

Lady Olynder

Guardian Of Souls

Dreadblade Harrow

Spirit Torment

20 x Chainrasps

20 x Chainrasps

20 x Chain rasps

6 x Spirit Hosts

10 x Bladegheist Revenants

Mourngul

Chainguard Battalion

Idea on this one is that the chainguard units roll up the board with Olynder and spirit torment being solid and constantly respawned,  Olyder possibly peeling off to pass her mortal wound goodness around.

Reikenor flys around supporting with some magic and blowing up a couple of smaller units etc with his spell, mourngul supports him in causing havoc/being a distraction as he looks big and scary. 

3rd chainrasps and spirithosts jump on objectives /  block enemy movement etc. Bladegheists shoot up the side/ come from the underworld to beat up a unit while dreadblade harrow has midnight tome to soul cage their target using his teleport to get where needed.

Anything I should change or remove/add to aid in the ideas put across? would 2 x units of chainrasps at 30 be better than 3 @ 20?

14 hours ago, Saxon said:

I haven't come up against Teclis yet but i assume its similar? 

Yes. IMHO, Lumineth are probably one of the toughest faction for NH to deal with at the moment. This is because Teclis can nuke 1 or 2 of our heroes / turn without even breaking a sweat and Sentinels would happily choke the rest of your army into mortal wounds (against which our 6+ shrug is not particularly effective). It's a deadly combination against a faction such as NH. Sure, movement shenanigans are and will always be a thing, but it's hard to outmanoeuvre these sort of builds. 

2 hours ago, Parttime_Painter said:

Anything I should change or remove/add to aid in the ideas put across?

@Parttime_Painter, this is a very solid start for a strong list. A few thoughts (very personal opinions, of course, so take them with a grain of salt!😞

• "would 2 x units of chainrasps at 30 be better than 3 @ 20?" No. These days, units that can kill 20 rasps in one go will also kill 30 rasps in one go - better to have the flexibility of an extra unit.
  • Who's your general? It sounds like Lady O? No no no... the Dreadblade is amazing when given Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - moving around with a unit of 6 of them is a very powerful feature. I'd only take Lady O in conjunction with the Dolorous Guard.
  • What about the extra artefact? And the spells? 
  • I am a huge fan of the Mourngul - yes, it's massively overpriced, but people are still scared of him, and righteously so. Pair with Spirit Torment and Bladegheists for a decent punch. Also, the model is GLORIOUS.
  • "the chainguard units roll up the board with Olynder and spirit torment being solid and constantly respawned". The Spirit Torment is too good to not use in conjunction with the Bladeghiests (re-roll all hits). Let the Guardian of Souls deal with the rasps healing. And give him a lantern/artefact to increase your chances there.
  • "Reikenor flys around supporting with some magic and blowing up a couple of smaller units etc with his spell" Reikenor looks a bit out of place in this list. Yes, it's fast, but that's about it. It's squishy and a +3 (not guaranteed!) to cast is nothing with Kroak/Teclis/Tzeench around. He won't blow up anything, trust me. You take Reiki if you have a plan to use a particular endless spell. Typically Cogs, but I'd opt for the Geminids these days.

Hope this help!

On 1/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, Saxon said:

No you are sadly correct. These auto-mechanic stunts that GW are pulling with these two in particular are just poor rule writing. Armies like nighthaunt suffer disproportionately from these kind of mechanics because 1 - the support heroes keep the army together and 2- our heroes are pretty squishy despite the un-rendable save and the 6+ feel no pain. I guess it goes for most death factions. 

Comets call (i think this is the infinite range lots of MW one) is a really poor mechanic for the game in general. You can hide Kroak out of sight and murder. It's just silly. I haven't come up against Teclis yet but i assume its similar? 

Luckily neither have I, on TTS it's mainly DoK and tzeentch I'm playing right now, but I can't bring myself to use high model count armies on that platform 🤦‍♂️ but yes, Teclis and Kroak do seem to kind of nullify the squishy hero build in short order. Beauty of playing friendly games for the most part though is avoiding that I guess 

Hey Everyone, 

Been on a long break from aos and i'm looking at making a comeback. 

Any ideas if this is going to work at all? 

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (130)
Spirit Torment (120)
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (200)
- General
Knight of Shrouds (100)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (130)
5 x Hexwraiths (130)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)

Units
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)

Battalions
The Dolorous Guard (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

The main idea is that Olynder is moving around doing Olynder stuff with her hexwraiths while the revenants jump around supported taking out key targets.

Really confused debating which heroes to pick, my main doubts is if i have to move things around to make room for Reikenor plus cogs.  

Would very much appreciate any comments on what you think. 

Stay safe