AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, anorek said:

Hey guys, I got a question regarding Soul Cage.

We ran into situation when Fyreslayers (Hermdar) used command ability on a squad that I used this spell

Are effects of these abilities nullified or one of them gets a priority?

Okay, so this is pretty easy to hash out, but is kind of complicated to explain.

In an Activation War (questions like this), ties and conflicts are resolved by the following:

Whoever turn it is, their abilities resolve first and take effect first. Then the other player's abilities and effects happen. This applies to everything happening in the same phase. Anything happening after that phase happens after I'm terms of effect, too. The last thing to be true is the thing that's true.

So, for example, Soul Cage takes place in the hero phase. The Hermdar command ability takes place in the Combat Phase, so since the ability takes place after the spell was cast, it overrides that part of Soul Cage. In this case, Skull-breakers and Oath-takers takes place last, is true last, so therefore is true.

Yep, they can negate half of our spell at the cost of a CP.

Thanks, that explains it well :)

Also, since the scenario doesn't allow  me to leave my main point undefended - is it possible to perform charge in these circumstances?

A line of rasps is pinned by an opponent unit - can Spirit Hosts, that are behind rasps on +3" distance charge into enemy?

Edited by anorek

1 hour ago, anorek said:

Thanks, that explains it well :)

Also, since the scenario doesn't allow  me to leave my main point undefended - is it possible to perform charge in these circumstances?

A line of rasps is pinned by an opponent unit - can Spirit Hosts, that are behind rasps on +3" distance charge into enemy?

I'm unsure of what scenario you are talking about. 

But for the second question, yes, you can try to charge but one of your spirit hosts most end its charge move within 0.5" of the enemy's model. Because rasps have bigger bases than 0.5" you can't just end the charge in the back of the rasps but if you can wrap around the rasps with one SH model so that this model is at least 0.5" to the enemy the rest of the SH can end its move behind the rasps.

Remember that you have flying, this allow you to fly over the rasps when you charge. One spirit host model can fly over the rasps, end within 0.5" of the enemy, and rest of your spirit hosts can end behind the rasps. this is ok because you still keep coherency of 1" over a 25mm base.  

**Examples**

E = enemy
R = rasp
H  = host

Not ok (can't end within 0.5")
      EEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRR
         HHH

This is  ok (one model ends within 0.5")
          EEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRH
            HHHHH

This is more special but still ok (one model ends within 0.5" and keeps coherency over the rasps)
          HEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRR
         HHHH

Hope this helped 😁

If I may bother with another question regarding this particular battle/plan of mine - I am planning to hold the point and fight/heal rasps as much as I can.

I expect a lot of HGB units
Current list is:
KoSES, GoS, DBH, LO

40x rasps, 3x SH
Was thinking to squeeze Arkhan somehow as an ally for healing boost and Years spell and great command ability so I can bombard potential magmadroth hero with soul drain
Will this hold decently for 2-3 turns?

58 minutes ago, anorek said:

If I may bother with another question regarding this particular battle/plan of mine - I am planning to hold the point and fight/heal rasps as much as I can.

I expect a lot of HGB units
Current list is:
KoSES, GoS, DBH, LO

40x rasps, 3x SH
Was thinking to squeeze Arkhan somehow as an ally for healing boost and Years spell and great command ability so I can bombard potential magmadroth hero with soul drain
Will this hold decently for 2-3 turns?

Hard question HGB are really powerful and have access to fighting twice (i think) so they kill most things in close combat. If he has the HGB with mw weapons then you are even more screwed. 

I would try to play as safe as possible and prioritize to kill the heroes first before even trying to kill the HGB in melee. 

For the list I'm not sure, this doesn't look like 2k and I have almost no experience playing with fewer points. But having only 2 unit (more like 1.5) to hide all heroes behind seems a little unadaptable, and hard to maneuver. 

On 12/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, anorek said:

I dont remember scenario name but I know its instawin if you control both objectives :)

Thank you for graphic presentation! I forgot about 0.5" rule for charging...

If you charge in with the rasps and leave 1" gap to maintain coherency, can you fit enough of the Spirit Host base in to get within 0.5"?

Worth checking.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Sad to see our forum so quiet. Heres hoping we get a new book this year!

Yeah i started to think that my notifications stoped working or something (cuz my other threads are quiet as well) 

Fingers crossed 🤞 for a new book soon, when i look at the list of released battletomes our book is starting to be one of the oldest. So hopefully new light will shine upon us soon. 

But who knows, there are teasers/speculations about vampire pirates, slaanesh is getting so much new stuff to they are probably getting a book soon, and of course covid-19 makes everything delayed. 

I'm guessing a new book for us early 2022, maybe a white dwarf release in the meantime. 

• Like 1

So true but book or not the quitness from my side is due to that f..... Covid 19. Had to cancel all games and all clubs are closed off. So finally it just stopped making sense building lists and planing tactics. At the moment all AOS time is spend on painting and reading lore.. hopefully 2021 will be better...

It’s quite frustrating but on the other hand I have yet to lose anyone I know to Corona so I guess things could be much worse than just being unable to have fun with my armies, warbands and such.

Hope all of you are safe and well in these frustrating times.

• Like 2

Same here. Haven't had a game since March. I'm beginning to think I've forgotten how to play... let alone build lists. The hobby for me at the minute is reading (loved Morathi) and painting but, in regards to the latter, I've been focusing on 40k recently. Aiming to get back to painting AoS in the new year. Here's hoping I can get back to gaming  in the new year. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

Yeah... not much else to add, really. I won’t lie, I had quite high hopes in the summer (even managed to have a few games in September...) but it looks like we are now back to square one.  Vaccines are coming, and that’s fantastic, but it’ll take time for them to make an impact (also, people need to snap out of conspiracy theories and the like. Nagash’s teeth, the ignorance...)

I am very well aware that not being able to play AoS is a small detail, compared to e.g. the atrocious experience of the many people who lost someone to this flipping virus. I don’t feel it is within my rights to complain. A part of me really wants to get back playing, though - no point in denying our little, selfish needs.

I went back to 40K for a bit, and more recently I discovered Infinity (which LadyWife likes a lot because it’s a quick, low-model count skirmish game)  - that helped. New lore, a few new hobby projects, learning how to deal with metal miniatures... it’s all well and good, but I really miss... well, people (never thought I’d say that, but there it is), as well as  games of AoS.

For no particular reason, I want to believe we are going to get some AoS Death material early in 2021, but even then, like many of you I can’t really get myself to build lists and the like... and it’s the same with painting. I am not a really good painter to start with, and I only paint models I want to include in my lists. I genuinely envy those who can paint for the sake of it. As a really good example, Codex Drukhari (my main 40K faction)  is coming out in January or so. In normal times, I’d be HUGELY excited. Now? Yeah, sure, but not nearly as much...

A bit bleak, sorry - hope everyone’s doing ok!

• Like 2

Byt hey maybe we should agree to share some of the stuff we have been painting this year? Even if it isn’t Nughthaunt it might still be inspiring to share this here.

During the spring I actually ran out of ghosts to paint and after doing a few simple commision paintjobss I expanded my Ghosts with a bunch of Bonereapers. I’ve always wanted to paint Nagash and finally had a reason to do so. Some of you probably already seen this but here it is yet again. 
so far I have been painting close to 3000pt of Bonereapers, Catacombs scenery.

Currently working on my Deathriders, a custom Mourngul, and planing to expand some of my ghost units. After that I will paint no more armies but only warbands, small random units and scenery. 
that is if Deadwalkers isn’t coming anytime soon. 
If the wishlisting/rumours turn out to be true and zombierelated, then I will do one h... of a zombie army😉

So my paintingworkdone for the Covid cursed year of 2020:

- Gloomspite Gitz warband.

- The Craven King.

- 20 custom Dolorous Guard Hexwraith.

- 6 x Chainghasts.

- 4 x serraphon monsters (commision).

- jungle table (commision)

- graveyard.

- Frozen Blightkings (warband for Warcry not entirely finished).

- 40 x Mortek Guards.

- 6 x Stalkers.

- Nagash.

- 2 Bonereapers Endless spells.

- Bonereapers Scenery

- 20 x Deathriders (almost done).

I think thats it.

I don’t have pics of it all yet and most of the ones I have are from WOK but here are some of the stuff:

3B1B884C-2302-47FB-AE75-93493BD31900.jpeg

32AD70F6-D3F5-490C-A536-7624576F4173.jpeg

8BCF4EA9-4C90-4D67-863B-9C7F44FAEC65.jpeg

E7A11ABD-FADA-4F5C-8B74-5FA98B6EF769.jpeg

0EC5DDD9-6818-4BB4-B987-831F58163BC5.jpeg

7DE05B3F-20D0-471D-A0AF-396A37CB8F31.jpeg

E2457FCE-6D64-4CB1-BEBE-7CB6C161E0CD.jpeg

F2D2CD79-115B-4AD2-A7E5-BA007B2C6979.jpeg

0F6369BB-4079-4FB5-B726-20656CF07636.jpeg

45A333E4-DD07-4ED9-836C-7631BC76782D.jpeg

29F10ACA-5215-4366-B6E5-A987579817AB.jpeg

A3BE10A3-2641-4177-BA89-8640A6240969.jpeg

A7398D44-BC71-437C-81BF-1F7ADEB9C079.jpeg

6E90381E-0713-4BA2-AD18-8FFC4E13E44C.jpeg

9DA8254D-891C-488C-A6F7-266AE046FDDE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 5

Incredible paintjobs!

I bought a bunch of Necron new stuff, and am still halfway through a converted idoneth sea avatar guy - turned - Kurdoss, 2 high elf sorcerers turned - necromancers and a few dozen Grimghasts that allll just ended up on hold.

Just wow classic, star wars squadrons, baldurs gate 3 and working 55 to 60 hours a week til things return to some semblance of normal

• Thanks 1

In the first lockdown I finally decided to get some paint on my NH. This is the 1k I got done. I like to just paint 1k of armies at a time. Next year I'll aim to get another 1k of NH done. Want to focus on a few other armies before returning to them though. 

20200419_130347.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, Greasygeek said:

So true but book or not the quitness from my side is due to that f..... Covid 19. Had to cancel all games and all clubs are closed off. So finally it just stopped making sense building lists and planing tactics. At the moment all AOS time is spend on painting and reading lore.. hopefully 2021 will be better...

It’s quite frustrating but on the other hand I have yet to lose anyone I know to Corona so I guess things could be much worse than just being unable to have fun with my armies, warbands and such.

Hope all of you are safe and well in these frustrating times.

I know your situation. I move into another place for working and the first tournament here was this december (and it was T9A one), so models time is just painting and making videos / UB time. But things are going to be better (I hope), so we can paint all our armies for the time we can enjoy playing again!