AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

21 hours ago, Btimmy said:

It's just an outdated tome that harkens back to when BS wasn't a joke and damage was much lower than it is now. Back then you could probably actually use the sword of stolen hours to do something. 

You´re totally right.

I hope we can have a 2nd wave of models and the rework on 2021 with AoS 3.0. but who knows due to the coronavirus...

1 hour ago, Meng said:

hello to all guys, I found this photo in a facebook group, what do you think?
It would be a good way to save a little bit :)
Would they be accepted in a local context?

nighthuant.jpg

Clever! Well, as long as the basis are all of the correct size... why not? The only "issues" I see would be:

1. It's not really a "conversion", is it? I mean, probably not ok for a GW tournament at WH World (not without some additional bit... easily doable, though).

2. The height of the individual models is in some cases (e.g. bottom left) way shorter than that of the actual model. This has some impact when determining line of sight. I for one always make sure that my conversions are as tall as (or, in some cases, taller - I have a Necromancer that can be shot from quite a few angles, sadly...) the original models, so that my opponent can't mount any argument against them.

Having said that, this looks like a clever idea I'm sure most people would be ok with, both in terms of friendly games at the shop and tournaments alike.

The most clever aspect is that in this way you don't have to go through the sheer amount of pain that comes from trying to assemble Spirit Hosts - easily the most annoying GW kit I have ever built (maybe second to the Drukhari Tantalus...). And I have bloody 12 of those spiky buggers... love the paint scheme, by the way - aside from the orange blades and the bases, but that's just taste.

Hey friends, my mum gave up on Warhammer so I have inherited her small collection of Nighthaunt and plan to expand it. Does this list look good enough?

LEADERS

- Olynder (General, Spell: Reaping Scythe)

- Knight of Shrouds on Steed (Artefact: Headsmen’s Judgment)

- Guardian of Souls (Artefact:  Wychlight Lantern, Spell: Shademist)

- Spirit Torment

BATTLELINE

- 20x Chainrasps

- 20x Chainrasps

- 6x Spirit Hosts

BEHEMOTHS

- Black Coach

OTHER 

- 10x Bladegheists

- 10x Bladegheists

- 10x Harridans

BATTALIONS

- Shroudguard 

Total: 1960pts

EDIT: Should I swap the KoSeS for Reikenor? 

Edited by Tiberius501

How do we stand against the Lumineth Realm Lords?

At a quick glance they look vulnerable to alpha charges and that is what we do. Sure their magic will tear us a new one but once we get stuck in we might have a chance right?

What are your experience fighting the Teclis hatlovers?

16 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

How do we stand against the Lumineth Realm Lords?

At a quick glance they look vulnerable to alpha charges and that is what we do. Sure their magic will tear us a new one but once we get stuck in we might have a chance right?

What are your experience fighting the Teclis hatlovers?

Bad. We´re on a bad position vs most of the armies, so vs Lumineth... They can destroy us using mortal wounds, we didn´t have magical deffense, they can increase our command points waste...

My guess would boxing them in with large groups of Underworlding rasps and have a 12-sheet group of Myrmourn handy to eat spells.

We arent neccesarily meant to just go toe to toe with every army; but their ability to snipe our support characters and elites does sound prohibitivly punitive. Maybe sneak a Mourngul or a Coach along their back line to monch archers/casters?

Hey everyone,

So I have a slightly odd request that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I don't normally play anything Death, so I'm a bit at a loss for what to do. First, some background: I (during quarantine) taught my 8 year old nephew how to play, and he put together a 1000 point stormcast army as part of a birthday/good behavior gift from my wife and I. I, in keeping with the "rules" instilled by said 8 year old, have to put together a 1000 point Nighthaunt army (we learned using Storm Strike) that I would like to be roughly balanced with the one he has. The rules are as follows:

1) My general has to be Reikenor

2) It has to be balanced against this list. Unfortunately, the list can't be changed, as they're the ones he wanted (with his weapon choices). 

Astreia Solbright

Knight-Incantor

2 @ 5x Liberators w 2 swords

2 @ 3x Castigators

2 @ 5x Sequitors with maces and grandmaces

A Celestar Ballista

This is the main "rule" I'm having trouble with... I'm bad at building armies at the best of times, and especially so when I need to balance one in a faction I don't normally play against what a kid who just picked models he liked. Can you guys help? I came up with a rough list below (using the Soul Wars box as a starter), but I'm not sure how it would compare to my nephew's...

Reikenor the Grimhailer

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

20x Chainrasp Horde

10x Grimghast Reapers

4x Glaivewraith Stalkers

2 @ 4x Myrmourn Banshees

Any help would be appreciated, and he'll surely appreciate not getting his head kicked in every game (or winning too easily, as he's as that age where he thinks everyone's letting him win)

1 hour ago, Docthe3rd said:

Hey everyone,

So I have a slightly odd request that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I don't normally play anything Death, so I'm a bit at a loss for what to do. First, some background: I (during quarantine) taught my 8 year old nephew how to play, and he put together a 1000 point stormcast army as part of a birthday/good behavior gift from my wife and I. I, in keeping with the "rules" instilled by said 8 year old, have to put together a 1000 point Nighthaunt army (we learned using Storm Strike) that I would like to be roughly balanced with the one he has. The rules are as follows:

1) My general has to be Reikenor

2) It has to be balanced against this list. Unfortunately, the list can't be changed, as they're the ones he wanted (with his weapon choices). 

Astreia Solbright

Knight-Incantor

2 @ 5x Liberators w 2 swords

2 @ 3x Castigators

2 @ 5x Sequitors with maces and grandmaces

A Celestar Ballista

This is the main "rule" I'm having trouble with... I'm bad at building armies at the best of times, and especially so when I need to balance one in a faction I don't normally play against what a kid who just picked models he liked. Can you guys help? I came up with a rough list below (using the Soul Wars box as a starter), but I'm not sure how it would compare to my nephew's...

Reikenor the Grimhailer

Knight of Shrouds

Guardian of Souls

20x Chainrasp Horde

10x Grimghast Reapers

4x Glaivewraith Stalkers

2 @ 4x Myrmourn Banshees

Any help would be appreciated, and he'll surely appreciate not getting his head kicked in every game (or winning too easily, as he's as that age where he thinks everyone's letting him win)

First things first, well done on bringing the Little One into The Hobby!

I had a similar conundrum in terms of balancing two lists when I brought my LadyWife into the Endless Plastic Tunnel not long ago. In that case it was 40K (she saw the Sisters of Battle and went "yeah, those ones" -  can't really blame her, can I?) but here are some pointers:

- Avoid MSU (i.e. lots of small units) as they slow down the game a lot. In your case, try to group in larger units Liberators, Castigators and Sequitors if the little one is ok with that. One unit of 8 Banshees instead of two of 4 would also help (also, you get a +2 to unbind this way...)

- It's very hard to balance two lists without being willing to make any changes to them. I think you are in a good spot with yours, but if you can try to convince the little one that some modifications might be needed - it should be enough to tune your Nighthaunt while leaving the StormCasts as they are - that'd be ideal.

- I put together a list (see below) which looks very similar to your starting point. I assume that the Knight of Shrouds you are referring to is the one-with-the-horse, right? That's what you get in Soul Wars. If that's the case, drop the Stalkers (even against a 8-year old they don't make any sense) and get 5 Hexwraiths, which are super fun to play with and against. 

- In the hands of two equally skilled players, this Nighthaunt list should do marginally better, in my opinion, compared to the StormCasts, on the basis on the superior mobility of your units and the lack of synergy in the StormCast list (Astreia is not the big scary monster she should be). Having said that, you have an ethereal save (Nighthaunt) against some actual shooting, so... terrain aside (use some!) it should be fairly close.

- Play a first game making very clear that this is just to assess the balance. The Little One will improve with time in any case, so that's something else to keep in mind.

- In my case, I had a really hard time (for two months in a row!) with my Drukahri against the Sisters, as my competitive mind built an utterly disgusting  list for LadyWife. In time, though, I adapted to her play style and switched a few key units. At the moment we are having very close, fun games. Best of luck to you!

image.png.42b740b06cd17c75f4a7f843eadefd46.png

Thanks so much! Admittedly part of his list being organized the way it was was due to it being made before some point changes, so when I was "rebuilding" the list today, I had to add in a few things to bring it up to 1000. And thank you for the list help. I figure if I wait a little bit more, he'll forget everything he asked for except for Astreia (the first model he chose) and the Liberators with two swords (he's big into swords...), so I can probably make some changes to even things out (for example, I think he had 2 units of liberators before I couldn't fit in all of his stuff and cover the 2 battle line minimum. 

As for mine, thanks for the help! I'll start working on those pretty soon - I just didn't want to accidentally put together something that wouldn't be fun for him to play against