AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

23 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Reikenor the Grimhailer dont know what spell to give him yet
10 Bladegheist Revenants
10 Bladegheist Revenants 
Shroud Guard 
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed : General with ruler of the spirit hosts and  pendant of the fell wind
Guardian of Souls with soul cage and relic lantern returning an extra 3 wounds/models
Guardian of Souls with shademist
Dreadblade Harrow 
20 Grimghast Reapers 
20 Grimghast Reapers
20 Chainrasp Hordes 
Chronomantic Cogs

1950pts

ill have to test it but the general idea is the 2 units of bladegheists will deep strike in 9" away from a unit i want dead. Reikenor will add +3 to cast and get the cogs off and then blitz up to the bladegheists to give them the 5+++ deathless save. 

The 2 units of reapers will be speeding across the board at movement 13" to threaten objectives and punish enemy units. The lone squad of chainrasps will guard home objective, for a few more pts than spirit hosts i get 11 more wounds and i can regain them easier. 

Dreadblade does what a dreadblade does and teleports everywhere to nab uncontested objectives. 

The Guardian of Souls with the relic lantern is there to primarily  regain either bladegheists or grimghasts with help off the the Knight of Shrouds. The second one is there to provide another caster, i may switch him out for some myrmourn banshees, ill see how it goes.

I like the list! Dont know by hand what ruler of the spirit hosts and soul cage and shademist does. Nor do I really know what Chronomatic Cogs does, but you present your strategy in a way that I understand roughly what it's all there for.
I like that the army has alot of wounds. I also love that you are going with 2 GoS, even though you might switch one of them out. I just love that model so much, and with all those units you have the relic lantern and a second GoS sounds pretty powerful. At least those 60 battle line models will hopefully take some time to chew through.

My problem is Reikenor. I think he might fill a role in this army list, it's just that I just can't seem to like him for some reason! I am just not getting a good feeling from that character. I dont know why, but for some reason I would rather go Lady Olynder than Reikenor.
I wonder how Lady Olynder would fare in an army list like this? Her command ability is not very strong against 1 wound models. So it's basically just mortal wounds you want her for.. and the buff/debuff which could prolong the life of your Bladegheists.

edit: Seems the list would end up at 2010 points with Lady Olynder, so that might be a reason to go with Reikenor ;)

Edited by Nuradin

15 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

I like the list! Dont know by hand what ruler of the spirit hosts and soul cage and shademist does. Nor do I really know what Chronomatic Cogs does, but you present your strategy in a way that I understand roughly what it's all there for.
I like that the army has alot of wounds. I also love that you are going with 2 GoS, even though you might switch one of them out. I just love that model so much, and with all those units you have the relic lantern and a second GoS sounds pretty powerful. At least those 60 battle line models will hopefully take some time to chew through.

My problem is Reikenor. I think he might fill a role in this army list, it's just that I just can't seem to like him for some reason! I am just not getting a good feeling from that character. I dont know why, but for some reason I would rather go Lady Olynder than Reikenor.
I wonder how Lady Olynder would fare in an army list like this? Her command ability is not very strong against 1 wound models. So it's basically just mortal wounds you want her for.. and the buff/debuff which could prolong the life of your Bladegheists.

reikenor is just such a reliable caster, if you need a endless spell off hes your man-ghost-thing! also look at him compared to another Guardian of Souls, 40pts more and you get near triple the movement, better casting, better melee, more wounds, good 1 wound unit killing potential, (ace model) and for fills your shroud guard battalion! hes a mKoS and GoS joined together for only 180pts!!!

the two spells do the following:

• soul cage: 6+ to cast, pick an enemy unit within 12" strike last
  • shademist: 6+ to cast, pick a NH unit wholly with 12", -1 to wound them until there next hero phase.

And yeah i think the number of bodies will help and whilst grimghasts first looked underwhelming, that was because in soul wars you get 4 to fight sequitors.... in bigger numbers they can throw there weight around! and with their bullies of a big brother the bladegheists youll murder anything short of morsarr guard (or whatever the tanky eels are called) and you should have enough bodies left to regen some back to keep up the fight.

Meanwhile that cheeky dreadblade will be winning games if left unchecked, i wanna get him a cheeky grinning trolling skull face haha! i love him for his price. 

*chronomantic cogs add 2 to move and charge for everyone, or give a wizard by it rerollable saves and +1 spell to cast. so from the underworld the bladegheists will need a 7" charge and with 3cp's from turn 1 you can let them reroll there charge*

**did i mention i love bladegheists?!**

***oh and ruler of the spirit hosts: at the start of hero phase, pick a summonable unit within 9" return d3 slain models.***

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

5 hours ago, Nevar said:

In Nighthaunt, if you roll a 10+ on a charge roll you immediately get to attack as if it is the combat phase out of normal turn order.  Then you can still be selected to fight again during the fight phase, meaning if you roll a 10+ to charge you effectively get the effects of the Danse Macabre spell from LoN for every unit that rolls a 10+ charge.  Keep in mind this does not require that you move 10+", only that you roll that high.

...I'd missed that this was army-wide and not just for the cavalry batallion. (they do it on a 9+ instead, re-reading the leaks). That really does brighten the outlook for glaivewraiths quite a bit.

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

reikenor is just such a reliable caster, if you need a endless spell off hes your man-ghost-thing! also look at him compared to another Guardian of Souls, 40pts more and you get near triple the movement, better casting, better melee, more wounds, good 1 wound unit killing potential, (ace model) and for fills your shroud guard battalion! hes a mKoS and GoS joined together for only 180pts!!!

the two spells do the following:

• soul cage: 6+ to cast, pick an enemy unit within 12" strike last
  • shademist: 6+ to cast, pick a NH unit wholly with 12", -1 to wound them until there next hero phase.

And yeah i think the number of bodies will help and whilst grimghasts first looked underwhelming, that was because in soul wars you get 4 to fight sequitors.... in bigger numbers they can throw there weight around! and with their bullies of a big brother the bladegheists youll murder anything short of morsarr guard (or whatever the tanky eels are called) and you should have enough bodies left to regen some back to keep up the fight.

Meanwhile that cheeky dreadblade will be winning games if left unchecked, i wanna get him a cheeky grinning trolling skull face haha! i love him for his price. 

no no! You are the man-ghost-thing, Ekrund :D

Fair points! I am learning so much from this forum! I can't believe I haven't started hanging here earlier :P I am so stuck in just seeing raw numbers, not thinking about wounds and attacks / point spent. So this is awesome having all these discussions with you guys!

I love reapers in every way possible! One Major problem with them, though, is that I would have to buy 4 boxes of 10 to get to 40, and I think that is roughly where they will shine the most. And if you can get them to 13" move they would be able to surround most enemies and get a lot of attacks in.

And yes, the Harrow, for 100 points, being able to just jump across the battlefield at will. That will really threaten the board and objectives and force your opponent to either act against the Harrow or act against some other point of the map! Either is really good!

5 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

...I'd missed that this was army-wide and not just for the cavalry batallion. (they do it on a 9+ instead, re-reading the leaks). That really does brighten the outlook for glaivewraiths quite a bit.

yes, it does! That alone makes Stalkers viable. Being able to charge at every turn will most likely be very powerful for Nighthaunt.
However, Stalkers models look like ******... dead skaven with a spear.. if I was blind I might feel like playing them :P Perhaps I should just make them faceless. Cut off their face. That would make them more fun to play!

1 hour ago, Nuradin said:

no no! You are the man-ghost-thing, Ekrund :D

Fair points! I am learning so much from this forum! I can't believe I haven't started hanging here earlier :P I am so stuck in just seeing raw numbers, not thinking about wounds and attacks / point spent. So this is awesome having all these discussions with you guys!

I love reapers in every way possible! One Major problem with them, though, is that I would have to buy 4 boxes of 10 to get to 40, and I think that is roughly where they will shine the most. And if you can get them to 13" move they would be able to surround most enemies and get a lot of attacks in.

And yes, the Harrow, for 100 points, being able to just jump across the battlefield at will. That will really threaten the board and objectives and force your opponent to either act against the Harrow or act against some other point of the map! Either is really good!

i dont know if that is a compliment or insult haha ;) :D

What i did, i used a bits site and bought 3 x 20 chainrasps, mounted knight of shrouds, guardian of souls, spirit torment, lord executioner and 8 grimghasts + the rulebook for around £110 including postage. That way i dont get stormcast and glaivewraiths, so worked out better. (i learnt not to splash buy with GW products as youll usually regret it when they release separate kits or get started sets).

This way im gonna convert the lord executioner to be my extoller for a unit of grimghasts, get the clampack one for the other unit, divide the 8 SW grimghasts between 3 boxes of 10 normal grimgasts and that gives me 40!

*also its really easy to get them to move that fast, reikenor with chronomantic cogs and a hero nearby with pendant of the fell wind. Ghosts faster than horses!!*

i dont know if that is a compliment or insult haha ;) :D

What i did, i used a bits site and bought 3 x 20 chainghasts, mounted knight of shrouds, guardian of souls, spirit torment, lord executioner and 8 grimghasts + the rulebook for around £110 including postage. That way i dont get stormcast and glaivewraiths, so worked out better. (i learnt not to splash buy with GW products as youll usually regret it when they release separate kits or get started sets).

This way im gonna convert the lord executioner to be my extoller for a unit of grimghasts, get the clampack one for the other unit, divide the 8 SW grimghasts between 3 boxes of 10 normal grimgasts and that gives me 40!

I understand! My second army is SE.. and I love the spell slinging part of SE, so I was actually kinda happy to get those models as well! :D
Reapers are 30 euro for 10. So that would be 120 euro for 40, which is cheaper than many other battle lines, but still very pricey. 
Also, do we know if GW plan on selling GoS separately? or will it be starter box only?

Just now, Nuradin said:

I understand! My second army is SE.. and I love the spell slinging part of SE, so I was actually kinda happy to get those models as well! :D
Reapers are 30 euro for 10. So that would be 120 euro for 40, which is cheaper than many other battle lines, but still very pricey. 
Also, do we know if GW plan on selling GoS separately? or will it be starter box only?

i think the GoS will be like the lord relictor. But im gonna keep my eye out for the birthday one on ebay so mine arent in the same pose.

Yeah thats cheap compared to witch elves, those mean ladies cost me my soul.... :( 

i think the GoS will be like the lord relictor. But im gonna keep my eye out for the birthday one on ebay so mine arent in the same pose.

Yeah thats cheap compared to witch elves, those mean ladies cost me my soul.... :( 

I guess I will just have to spread out the purchases :D Make it a long term plan.. cause what I want to do is having the option to run a fast list with hexwraiths and black coach  (and that battalion) and also having the option to run a more horde-y army (perhaps not exactly the one you posted, but something along those lines at least). I also want the option to run a LoN Nighthaunt list.. so I have the feeling that this nighthaunt army will cost me a lot! Not to mention how pricey the SE part is! Just the fulminators are a small fortune! :D

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

im doing a banshee/mortarch of grief bravery bomb list right now, ill post it up in abit. Could work vs anything not undeath, daemons, daughters of khaine and indoneth near an eidolon.

Feel free to post it in the Nighthaunt Army List thread. Makes it easier for people to find lists posted, instead of sifting through pages and pages over in this ever growing discussion thread :D

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

I guess I will just have to spread out the purchases :D Make it a long term plan.. cause what I want to do is having the option to run a fast list with hexwraiths and black coach  (and that battalion) and also having the option to run a more horde-y army (perhaps not exactly the one you posted, but something along those lines at least). I also want the option to run a LoN Nighthaunt list.. so I have the feeling that this nighthaunt army will cost me a lot! Not to mention how pricey the SE part is! Just the fulminators are a small fortune! :D

well theres no rush in getting it, and it looks like there spreading out the releases as the next release is dark elf blood bowl sets.... ? (want my damn bladegheists for ghosts sake....) ?

well theres no rush in getting it, and it looks like there spreading out the releases as the next release is dark elf blood bowl sets.... ? (want my damn bladegheists for ghosts sake....) ?

The only rush is that I want to be able to play a full army list at some point :D However, I know from experience that too many models will just lead to having to paint everything! And that will eventually lead to my getting burnt out :D Luckily Nighthaunt can be done in a pretty easy scheme, so painting hordes should be pretty quick!

• Like 1

i didnt know there was such a thread!!!   XDDDD

It was created about an hour ago! No posts yet.. but I guess if someone just starts to post an army that would probaby get the ball rolling some.

8 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Whaaat, I thought they would do it the same way they did Idoneth Deepkin; new pre-orders every week!
Anything other than that would highly disappoint me!

5 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Whaaat, I thought they would do it the same way they did Idoneth Deepkin; new pre-orders every week!
Anything other than that would highly disappoint me!

yeah its annoying..... hate why they do that....

also..... behold the march of angry lady ghosts!

Tomb Banshee 
5 Dreadscythe Harridans
5 Dreadscythe Harridans 
8 Myrmourn Banshees 
8 Myrmourn Banshees 
Shrieker Host 
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 
Tomb Banshee 
Tomb Banshee 
30 Chainrasp Hordes 
3 Spirit Hosts 
3 Spirit Hosts 
2 Morghast Archai 
Suffocating Gravetide 

Women are always MOANING ;););) ......... ill see myself out....

potential -3 bravery then drop them wails. yeah it has it has its weaknesses but seems cool haha!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

yeah its annoying..... hate why they do that....

also..... behold the march of angry lady ghosts!

Tomb Banshee 
5 Dreadscythe Harridans
5 Dreadscythe Harridans 
8 Myrmourn Banshees 
8 Myrmourn Banshees 
Shierker Host 
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 
Tomb Banshee 
Tomb Banshee 
30 Chainrasp Hordes 
3 Spirit Hosts 
3 Spirit Hosts 
2 Morghast Archai 
Suffocating Gravetide 

Women are always MOANING ;););) ......... ill see myself out....

potential -3 bravery then drop them wails. yeah it has it has its weaknesses but seems cool haha!

Any list with Myrmourn Banshees I can sign off on :D Those units are bad ass (look-wise)

And I just made an order for 180 euro...
10 hexwraiths, 6 spirit hosts, 10 reapers, Lady Olynder, Jailer and Chainghasts and Battletome.
My poor wallet =(

edit: I could probably have done without the Battletome, but I kinda like having it. It's the only battletome I have ever bought, so I kinda consider it my pledge to play Nighthaunt full hearted! :D

Edited by Nuradin

3 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Any list with Myrmourn Banshees I can sign off on :D Those units are bad ass (look-wise)

And I just made an order for 180 euro...
Reapers, 10 hexwraiths, 6 spirit hosts, 10 reapers, Lady Olynder, Jailer and Chainghasts and Battletome.
My poor wallet =(

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA WAIT, WHAT HAPPENED!? i thought we were brothers.... ???

But seriously thats a good start, have you ever built spirit hosts before?

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA WAIT, WHAT HAPPENED!? i thought we were brothers.... ???

But seriously thats a good stat, have you ever built spirit hosts before?

I did wait.. about 10 minutes :D

no, but I have read that they are a pain in the ass! Almost impossible to find the contact points! Have any tips?

Edited by Nuradin

6 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

I did wait.. about 10 minutes :D

no, but I have read that they are a pain in the ass! Almost impossible to find the contact points! Have any tips?

word of advice, save them til last..... you wouldnt want to loose your NH virginity to spirit hosts... they are a right pain!!! 1 out of the 3 is ok to build, the other two are just evil incarnate..... id rather flip the bird at nagash and call him a something mean than build another one of them (i have 18... :().

infact if i were to die and turn into a NH ghost, nagash would have me making small spirit host models for all eternity as my torment ? itll literally be the definition of spirit torment.... my rules would be handing out model spirit hosts to the enemy to build which gives them a -5 bravery as they loose the will to live hahaha ;) 

• Thanks 1

word of advice, save them til last..... you wouldnt want to loose your NH virginity to spirit hosts... they are a right pain!!! 1 out of the 3 is ok to build, the other two are just evil incarnate..... id rather flip the bird at nagash and call him a something mean than build another one of them (i have 18... :().

infact if i were to die and turn into a NH ghost, nagash would have me making small spirit host models for all eternity as my torment ? itll literally be the definition of spirit torment.... my rules would be handing out model spirit hosts to the enemy to build which gives them a -5 bravery as they loose the will to live hahaha ;) 

well.. if I ever need a pep talk, I now know you are not the guy to turn to ;)