AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

18 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Thx, I have had a blast working on them. The Hosts are my first painted ghost models, though this month I am hoping to jam through a chunk of Grimghasts. I am trying to do the scheme Israel Gonzalez showed off in White Dwarf a little while ago. I know I will not get to his insane level but I am giving it a go.  

That is a nice scheme but I gotta say I prefer the colours you did the Spirit Hosts in. IMHO that is a lot more classic Ghostbusters slimergreen but with a twist of something new. Anywho. Good luck on them😉

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.17.18 PM.png

• Like 1

Was working on my test model for my Grimghast Reapers. I wanted to match them up with my Spirit Hosts. My first one, on the left, came out dark. I liked the contrast of the dark colors but it does clashes a bit. The second one, on the right, came out lighter. I like it but maybe a bit flat. What do you guys think?

DCFF0DDA-95CD-4F22-84F6-C1B27B121F9A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Giant ghost.

Giant corpse with ghosts flowing around/through it.

Giant ghoul with tombstones stuck to its feet, coffins on its belt, corpses in its teeth; you can take it in any direction man

You think the giant will have some sort of undead keyword like "nighthaunt"?

If you guys aren't playing AoS on Tabletop Simulator, you really should. Once my friends and I figured it out we haven't skipped a weekend yet.

I've got a new winning list against a very shooty Cities that I wanted to share with you guys. I don't have a fancy name for it yet, but the feedback was something along the lines of "f*cking Olynder" and "devastating combo."

Sorry for the following wall of text, but I'm posting this on mobile...

It plays by putting Lady Olynder and the Dolorous Guard (represented by Death Stalkers in the PDF) in Underworlds for the now classic Olynderbomb. Everything else starts on the table, though you can opt to put the Chainrasps into the Underworlds if that's a better play for an objective.

Since range will enjoy some nice comfortable distance and target choice, you are going to force their hand. Your "throw away" units are actually Olynder and her guard, and the Black Coach, both acting as distractions and cover.

The Olynderbomb should be dropped as soon as possible as close to their ranged as you can. If they properly screened then you're doing to eat through their defence since her movement is limited (relatively quickly, though, it's Lady O after all) and she's going to take some hits, but if they didn't then she can feast on some of the biggest threat very early. Her goal is to draw fire.

A quick aside: I don't subscribe to Nighthaunt being a "hammer and anvil" kind of army. This has never worked for me. In terms of tactics, Envelopment works best for me. It's a military and police tactic developed to make use of elite training with less bodies, making a distraction seem like the real purpose while specialized reinforcement goes in for the capture or kill. In this case, Olynder and her guard are the distraction; she'll kill them if left unchecked so she must be answered, but in doing so you're opening them up for the kill.

The Black Coach, Spirit Torment, and Bladegheists are your SWAT team. They aren't in any particular hurry, and should stay back and out of firing range, moving up the board slowly, and maybe taking objectives, until Lady O has the ranged's undivided attention. Then, this trio charges in. Lead with the Black Coach. It's your second distraction, and is also your screen. Use it to keep the following ST and Bladegheists from getting wrapped around when they finally make contact.

Clearly, the Chainrasps are meant to camp if they need to, but if the battleplan allows it they should roam a bit if only to allow the GoS that's with them to cast useful support or healing spells.

Let me know what you guys think. I used this list to win in turn 2, and I went last both turns.

W - OB+Black Coach.PDF

• Like 4

On 5/10/2020 at 9:31 PM, pho_king_D said:

I hear that sons of behemat will be made available to every army , in the case of a nighthaunt army how on earth are you supposed to mesh them into a nighthaunt army thematically?

A less dessicated Mourngul.

Guide update:

• Writs of the Mortarch - Tactical Structures has been added. It details what Hammer and Anvil, Envelop, and Pincer tactics are and how they relate to Nighthaunt.
  • Pressing on the Pain, a new sample list and its goals has been added.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am new to Nighthaunt.
I know that they are not terribly competitive right now, but I like the models and want to build at least a 2000p army. 

I have a list in mind and would be great if you could comment on my points. 

Here a few thoughts that explain the list a little bit.

So my most favourite unit are the Blagegheist Revenants, so I thought a good starting point is the Shroudguard battalion, relatively cheap and lowers the drops. I am not sure if its good playwise to have two units of 20 of them or if units of 10 are just better (if yes, I could go for double Shroudguard battalion?!). I wasnt sure if I go for a Knight Of Shroud on foot or on steed? But went for the one on steed.
Then I love the Kurdoss model, so I put him in. A Spirit Torment is mandatory is mandatory in a Nighthaunt army as well as a Gurdian of Souls? so I put them in.

Then I had to fill my battleline and I wanted a little bit of a center piece, so I took a Mourngul and as many Chainrasps as possible, unfortunately I dont have enough for a full unit of 40, which is a bit of a waste because of the discount. So I ended up with 30 10 10 , I could also go for 20 20 10 (not sure what is better). 

Midnight Tome as a good artefact for the GoS, Pendant for more movement when my bladegheists are retreating and charging again. Not sure about the command trait though, nothing is really that good for me here I think?!

I am that sure if the Mourngul is really worth his points, so I could instead  also go for 10 more chainrasps to fill up to 40, buy  a command point (maybe Aetherquartz Brooch then?) and Lady Olynder, because she is really good for 200p, right? Would be 2000p. 

Also the question if Kurdoss' 180 points are just too much for what he does? But I really like the model!

image.png.5900081a200d3255c1b812c4ea43c05a.png

Edited by Enwolved

Hey all, 

How are you approaching the Tzeentch magic and -1 to hit in melee that they have? Seeing as a lot of our stuff needs relatively high rolls already to hit, it can really mess things up. 

My thoughts were when going against the big blue bird faction, that it would be better to focus on just swamping the objectives and just focus on the resurrection aspects and picking out targets if they step out of their -1 to hit bubble. 

What about ignaxs scales and lens of refraction for some artefact choices? LoR is a bit of a miss most of the time but with more and more magic on the table from other factions it could be a good shot? 

I know it’s not too original, but I love the glowy green of these hexwraith drapes from the tome. Unfortunately I’m a terrible painter and don’t know what I’m doing. 

Anyone know what the paint guide would be to get that glowing green that’s on the hexwraith drapes (possibly the same as the harrow’s stead)?

069D9A67-3EF0-488B-888D-EC0171CF7014.jpeg

Ever wondered how serious I am about Nighthaunt? Well, I just finished the last of my painting and I can finally say I have zero models left to be built or finished. Over 8,000 points of Nighthaunt/LoG and friends.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 4/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Jabbuk said:

I can't believe the pain you went through in assembling them... You're a hero. That being said, I finished my first group of Bladegheist Revs and I absolutely love the models. I tried to go for a cursed blade look.

IMG_20200422_074401.jpg

Wow, they look really nice, I love that cool blue effect on the ghostly parts, and the blades are very well done.

I also went for that kind of look with the blades for my 20 bladegheists,

P1040566.JPG.535bffb5e783987f1eff236548ed7224.JPG

But I failed my edge highlighting 😥, so it didn't look great.l

Luckily, I was just getting them battle ready, and will at some point improve them.*

*This is what I tell myself at least

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, N@g@sh said:

Wow, they look really nice, I love that cool blue effect on the ghostly parts, and the blades are very well done.

I also went for that kind of look with the blades for my 20 bladegheists,

P1040566.JPG.535bffb5e783987f1eff236548ed7224.JPG

But I failed my edge highlighting 😥, so it didn't look great.l

Luckily, I was just getting them battle ready, and will at some point improve them.*

*This is what I tell myself at least

You did great! These look excellent. 

3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

This evening was perhaps the perfect priming weather. Corax White went on smooth as silk.

B33E61C0-DD7F-4171-A07F-D525C586D3FD.jpeg

Can't wait to see how these turn out.

• Like 2