AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

I’ve been enjoying them. They definitely don’t smash hard like orks. You gotta setup the kill with your olyander spirit host bomb. The control over the field is amazing though, the underworlds and the dread blade harrow general makes you be able to rapidly redeploy out of losing fights or on to objectives.

93AE4C72-F412-4489-B134-5B82155313E2.jpeg

D994C584-B5E7-4213-A3A5-5477DE19D359.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, Andrethegreat said:

I'm somewhat  new to AOS and was thinking about starting  Nighthaunt, Right now I'm Stormcast, how hard is it to play Nighthaunt for new players? 

Quite hard. 

As our damage output pales against that of basically every other faction, we have to rely on mobility and board control, while trying to avoid being tabled (too soon - when we snatch a win, more often than not we get tabled nonetheless!). It's all about movement, which is tricky because of the many "wholly within" constraints we have on command abilities and the like. As everything ignores rend, our units are costly, and our healing capabilities are awful if compared to Legion of Nagash.

Playing Nighthaunt require a lot of patience to get familiar with the flimsy nature of our army and lot of finesse to master movement and screening. You pay dearly  for your mistakes, and the meta has evolved to a point where the damage output is so incredible that we find ourselves in a rather tough spot. 

Legion of Grief is much more forgiving, as you get gravesites and the ability to bring back entire units, much like in any Legion of Nagash. I personally don't like Legion of Grief because I enjoy the tactical challenges pure Nighthaunt pose, but I appreciate it must be very frustrating for new players, particularly if rather new to the hobby, to be wiped out more often than not.

Final note: if you enjoy the modelling part of the hobby, go for it, 100%. In my opinion, we have some of the coolest-looking models in the entire game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Do we have any chances at points/rules revisions this year? GHB19 and LoG both failed to impress me; hoping theres something this year to throw us some sort of a bone

While points drops are nice (looking at you Mounrgul for 280), we really need to avoid the "race to the bottom" and get updated allegiance abilities in the GHB or a Wrath of the Everchosen type book. I don't wanna buy more and more models, only to finally get a book and be unable to play half my army due to updated warscrolls and massive point raises.

• Like 3

On 3/12/2020 at 4:27 AM, Andrethegreat said:

I'm somewhat  new to AOS and was thinking about starting  Nighthaunt, Right now I'm Stormcast, how hard is it to play Nighthaunt for new players? 

As @Thamalys has said, it requires a finesse play style to get wins against top tear lists, we fluctuate around a 46ish % win rate I think according to the honest wargammer,  but in general I think the rules are actually really good for learning. Pretty straight forward and generally a little tougher than some armies with our ignore rend plus our 6up. I have lots of fun with the movement. 
My main tip for any beginner would be to watch those wholly within buff distances especially around the pile in. 

• Like 1

So Im almost done painting my kitbashed Mourngul and the Deathcastish ghost is supposed to look like a dark parody of a Celestant Prime or some other über stormcast in a Nagashfriendly version. However it caries  a large sign on its breastplate thats supposed to show som Sigmar mocking symbol. But what??

Any inspiration will be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Ive been hoping for a rework but at this point I honestly wouldnt mind a few point drops to tide us over.

Glaivewraiths would be a lot of fun if they were cheaper, bouncing around leaving combats and charging past to intercept characters 

Glaivewraiths for sure need a re-write. They are too same-y with GGR's of BGR's and are worse than both.

• Like 1

Indeed.. Wonder if we will get a Wrath of the Everchosen kinda upgrade, when or if they do provide a new tome, though the last one probably won’t happend anytime soon. 
Love the Glaivewraith model, would be awesome if they made just a wee bit sense to paint up and play with.

*grumble* All these new events this month, and not a list among them to pick at...

If The Honest Wargamer's stats are accurate, then Nighthaunt has been hovering around 42.9% with no top 3 placements. This is from a slight jump to 48.1% right after our WD update, but then a decline back to baseline as players are just choosing to play other factions instead of NH. This coincides with a representation of about 2.97% of all games played to less than 1.91%.

LoG had one 3rd place win in the Netherlands, but that's about it. Right now, if anyone's playing Death, they're playing OBR or FEC...

I wonder which army is easier to play with NH proxy models? 🤔

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Casandora Yellow said:

Ossiarch Spiritreapers?🤔

Charneral Spectralists 😉

Considering base sizes and the amount of units you'd have as NH, let's see:

Spoiler

Mortek Crawler - 170 x 105mm = Black Coach

Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis - 120 x 92mm = No equivalent

Gothizzar Harvester - 105 x 70mm =  Shyish Reaper

Bone-tithe Shrieker - 90 x 52mm = No equivalent

Arch-Kavalos Zandtos, Liege-Kavalos - 80mm = Closest we have is KoSoES or Reikenor at 75 x 42mm

Nightmare Predator, Soulstealer Carrion - 60mm = Olynder, Mourngul

Kavalos Deathriders - 60 x 35mm = Hexwraiths

Immortis Guard, Necropolis Stalkers - 50mm = Spirit Hosts, Mortalis Terminexus, or Vault of Souls

Mortisan Soulmason, Vokmortian, Master of the Bone-tithe - 40mm = Lord Executioner

Mortisan Boneshaper, Mortisan Soulreaper - 32mm = Bladegheist Revenants, Chainghasts, Dreadscythe Harridans, Glaivewraith Stalkers, Grimghast Reapers, Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern, Knight of Shrouds, Myrmourn Banshees

Mortek Guard - 25mm = Chainrasp Horde, Cairn Wraith, Tomb Banshee

Looks like most units have a direct equivalent. The biggest issues would be the total lack of a Katakros or Shrieker proxy. Bringing both a Soulmason and Vokmortian in a list would be hard since we only have one model that fits for both. And, you have to measure both Kavaloses from their longest side +5.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had been planning for a 1000-point intro game, but been slacking with the second block of 20 chainrasps as they're only sprayed so far. Now with the Nurgle advisory in effect I figure I might as well aim for painted 1500 points at least especially since I already painted Olynder (well, except for the ugly banshees) from the "second wave" of Nighthaunt purchases, and now am spraying five Bladegheists and further six Grimghasts to bring the latter up to an usable unit status, resulting in said 1500 points. The biggest annoyance with any Nighthaunt unit is the "gaps" between parts, but damn do Bladegheists have it particularly bad. Shame, since they're basically my favorite unit looks-wise - though they would've further benefited from having the chainmail bits like Grimghasts do.

I reckon I gotta loan the battletome from someone for the game, as given the state of Nighthaunt and actual age of the tome itself I'm not too inclined to buy it. Although between BattleScribe, Warscrolls and more knowledgeable opponents I suppose the tome isn't even particularly mandatory for a casual game anyway.

• 2 weeks later...