AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

31 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I don't think that's completely necessary. Some units need a rewrite (hello Glaives!), but I think taking our allegiance abilities and then stacking that with sub faction abilities could do the trick. Imagine if we could choose from any of the following sub faction abilities:

3D6 charges where you get choose one die to discard. Still would allow Wave of Terror.

An additional -2 bravery on the charge.

Frightful touch army wide, then 5+ for units that already get it.

+1 to casting rolls, unbinds, dispels, and a 5+ shrug of spell effects.

A sub faction that had summoning.

Any of those with our current rules would make for really strong or fun builds.

This. Give Chainrasps mortals on 6 or go down to 4+ save. Spirit Hosts should go to double mortal wounds on 6's if we are gonna start comparing to other armies (COUGHfyreslayers 2 mw's on 6 and keep attackingCOUGH).

As HeyWoah says, we're currently "racing to the bottom" by trying to fix everything with point drops and that just isn't gonna cut it. A lot of things need to be changed. Give Black Coach it's own 5+ shrug aura. Give our heroes a few more wounds each. Let us deal mortal wounds like all the other armies that copied our homework and did it WAY BETTER.

3d6 charges and wave of terror sounds amazing though.

Way more bravery debuffs are needed to make stuff like Tomb Banshees worth it.

Casting bonuses would be huge for me. Because no matter what I do I can AT BEST get Spectral Lure off once a game, even with the Wychlight Lantern. Either give better buffs, or let every Guardian of Souls cast it like Skaven with Warp Lightning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just trying to understand the rules of Wrath of the Everchosen in Order to forsee what might be coming our way too.

So the Everchosen sub faction abilities means that you still get to keep Your original alligeance ability while adding rules to it. Correct?

Say you play Maggotkin, you get to play with the wheel and also do whatever is added by the Wrath of.... book? 
Or is it more like adding extra hosts/chambers/skyports etc. for those factions that don’t already have them?

Edited by Greasygeek

2 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Just trying to understand the rules of Wrath of the Everchosen in Order to forsee what might be coming our way too.

So the Everchosen sub faction abilities means that you still get to keep Your original alligeance ability while adding rules to it. Correct?

Say you play Maggotkin, you get to play with the wheel and also do whatever is added by the Wrath of.... book? 
Or is it more like adding extra hosts/chambers/skyports etc. for those factions that don’t already have them?

Each army gets a new Stormhost or three. There's also a new grand allegiance where you can take all Chaos forces together, eschewing individual army rules.

In Death's case, there'll likely be new sub-factions for Nighthaunt, new Grand Courts for FEC, new Legions for OBR, new Legions for LoN, and probably some big over-arching grand Death allegiance, lead by Nagash/Katakros that can pull from anywhere.

Edited by plavski
  • Thanks 1

I’ve experimented recently and really enjoy emerald host. Still working on a list but my current WIP is this. I still like the Dreadblade for a general and spectral summons. I started with a knight on a steed with a balefire blade but honestly nothing we have is killy/scary enough (Assuming you want a command trait in your army and steer clear of characters as general) that you can use to bully so I went away from that for utility. 

5BB91AE0-82D5-4A13-80F0-A6EC9C6F435C.png

ED66B007-FA0E-4FC5-A5E1-8910B4376E90.png

19 hours ago, Dredgejosh said:

For a Emerald Host super battalion, what's the best General to run in it (or nominate a general in it)? 

I haven't done the super battalion, but have been loving using Olynder as my general with Dolorous Guard, so she gets my vote.  

I don't get in many games due to where I live, but I'm 3-0 with that list against Stormcast (hybrid melee/shootcast build), Skaven (lots of bodies and shooting build), and Cities of Sigmar (60 Phoenix Guard, 2 Frosthearts build).  She hasn't been killed in a single game, and I have found her command ability to bring back models more useful than Ruler of the Spirit Hosts was for me as my Dreablade Harrow was typically too busy ghosting around the board to be close enough to use it on units that needed it. In addition, she just deals a ton of damage with her Hexwraith guard.

Now, it is worth noting that his works for me due to the fact that I also bring another major threat to the game with a blob of 30 Reapers supported by a Guardian of Souls (and soon a KoSoES).

So my recommendation would be if you take Olynder as your general in Emerald Host, make sure you have another threat on the board.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.I.B. said:

Here's the current meta https://thehonestwargamer.com/31st-january-2020-stats/

Yay Nighthaunt

With OBR being the boogeymen and everyone taking as much rend as possible for points Nighthaunt is actually becoming more viable. And with Reikenor being able to snipe the pink horror icon we have counterplay. Plus we can remove ourselves from the "no retreat" change coven.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Where does it say a named character can't use it? I've never heard this before.

Me neither - Spectral Summons is a Command Ability listed under the "Battle Traits" section of the book. It's not a command trait, though, just a CA that your general gains on top of whatever CA they already have, hence I'd say it can be used by named characters as well. Having said that, I've always picked the Dreadblade Harrow as my NH general, so I never spent too much time worrying about this...

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Where does it say a named character can't use it? I've never heard this before.

3 hours ago, Thamalys said:

Me neither - Spectral Summons is a Command Ability listed under the "Battle Traits" section of the book. It's not a command trait, though, just a CA that your general gains on top of whatever CA they already have, hence I'd say it can be used by named characters as well. Having said that, I've always picked the Dreadblade Harrow as my NH general, so I never spent too much time worrying about this...

Yep. So I've been handicapping myself! I had just always used the Harrow before Dolorous Guard and thought this was the case. So good to know!