AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

8 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

You were right to rage at Tzeentch. But our army actually can avoid the Host Duplicitous BS. I really think Changehost is the problem with the book. If you're going to give an army 1 drop potential it shouldn't come with huge powers like double teleport every turn. I mean Dreadblade Harrow costs a command point per unit. Make Tzeentch pay the same cost.

I know. I posted a few back that I made a list and beat my friend’s duplicitous. It was a wonky and sometimes janky list, but I barely pulled it off nonetheless, albeit with help from a crucial double turn.

I would like to say that I can personally testify to the overwhelming and brutally shocking power of a darkfire daemonrift. After my opponent conceded, i asked him to talk out how he would’ve used the endless spell if he got to go first on turn two instead of me. He teleported two wizard units, cast an endless spell, then cast darkfire daemonrift in a way that clipped six of my units, one of which was a wizard. He ended up dealing about 50 mortal wounds. Killed two characters, and four other units. He melted 830 points in my army for one cast of a 50 pts endless spell. And at the end? He plucked it away with his LoC. And you know what? It was easy.

So, when I try to explain these things on the forums from my direct personal experience, and then everyone tries to theorycraft their way out of it using hypotheticals without having faced it themselves, I just roll my eyes and say, “cool story, bro. You do you.”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nogginnocker said:

I know. I posted a few back that I made a list and beat my friend’s duplicitous. It was a wonky and sometimes janky list, but I barely pulled it off nonetheless, albeit with help from a crucial double turn.

I would like to say that I can personally testify to the overwhelming and brutally shocking power of a darkfire daemonrift. After my opponent conceded, i asked him to talk out how he would’ve used the endless spell if he got to go first on turn two instead of me. He teleported two wizard units, cast an endless spell, then cast darkfire daemonrift in a way that clipped six of my units, one of which was a wizard. He ended up dealing about 50 mortal wounds. Killed two characters, and four other units. He melted 830 points in my army for one cast of a 50 pts endless spell. And at the end? He plucked it away with his LoC. And you know what? It was easy.

So, when I try to explain these things on the forums from my direct personal experience, and then everyone tries to theorycraft their way out of it using hypotheticals without having faced it themselves, I just roll my eyes and say, “cool story, bro. You do you.”

It can be rough to have to listen to people tell you how you can do things differently, but from our perspective that is the "magical christmasland" of scenarios for the darkfire daemonrift. It wont happen nearly that often and can be mitigated by better unit placement. Sometimes it will do 50 wounds, sometimes it will do 5. Thats the natures of the game.

Oh yeah. I get it. It’s also the same way that Tzeentch players try to justify their book’s current power level. “Just kill the characters.” Wow. So easily said. So, when I hear “better unit placement” and the battle took place on two of the objectives, which we were playing shifting objectives, I guess the way for me to not die is to not go for the objectives, which he was already camping with multiple units of pinks. I guess that’s how you win then. Don’t go to the objectives. Oh and be sure to spread your heroes far away from each other because we all know how nighthaunt doesn’t rely on buffs or anything. What an amazing ability to have for a whopping 50 pts. If I could give up my first turn CP to make my opponent spread out completely, keep their heroes away from the action, and not go for the objectives in an objective based game, I would take that in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

You were right to rage at Tzeentch. But our army actually can avoid the Host Duplicitous BS. I really think Changehost is the problem with the book. If you're going to give an army 1 drop potential it shouldn't come with huge powers like double teleport every turn. I mean Dreadblade Harrow costs a command point per unit. Make Tzeentch pay the same cost.

Oooooorrrrr..., just here me out here, ooooorrrrrr they update Nighthaunt where From the Underworlds allows us to do the same, or perhaps a bit less but with unit return!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

Oooooorrrrr..., just here me out here, ooooorrrrrr they update Nighthaunt where From the Underworlds allows us to do the same, or perhaps a bit less but with unit return!

Hell, I'd just be happy if every hero got access to the command ability instead of just the general. 

• Like 1

As an addendum to my results post:

Pretty stoked about our 18th slot, though I would never have expected it from that list. Mathew Tyrrell, the player behind that list, did mention that Kurdoss only netted 1 CP across all 6 games and ended up being an expensive beat stick, but that also means he wasn't afraid to put him into battle and use his distracting presence to his favor. He also said he didn't really match up against those Tzeentch lists. I wonder how it would have done if he had.

In a bit of an upset, LoG doesn't appear in the top 50. Now, there were a few slots in the list I couldn't see an army for, but I can't find anything online that says any different. But, we're going to have to wait until a few LoG players start talking about their experience to see how it went for them. We have one of those players in our forums, so hopefully blog posts start showing up soon.

However the results, one tournament does not a trend make, so we'll have to see as more are played.

• Like 1

Hey spooks, 

I need some advice:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

LEADERS

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (200) - Lore of the Underworlds : Soul Cage

Spirit Torment (120) - General - Command Trait : Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - Artefact : Pendant of the Fell Wind

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140) - Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist - Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Wychlight Lantern

UNITS

15 x Bladegheist Revenants (270)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)

20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

2 x Chainghasts (70)

BEHEMOTHS

Black Coach (220)

BATTALIONS

The Condemned (150)

TOTAL: 1850/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 126 LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

This is the basis for my list. However I am stuck between adding Reiknor and maybe Maelstrom to bring me to 2000 or Vampire Lord and then either some nice 50 point endless spell or 10 more chainrasp (30->40) and Maelstrom.

My game plan is fighting by attrition, and using my chainrasp for their weight of attacks to surprise my opponent on their ability to hit back just as hard as they take hits. With VL I leverage greater healing across my units. 15 Bladeghasts so I can heal them if (when) they get targeted. Spirit hosts to bog down and chase some delicious MW output and the BC as a float between flanks.

But really torn on Reiknor or VL for the final component..

On 1/28/2020 at 5:16 AM, Pinecones said:

The plan is fighting by attrition, and using my chainrasp for their weight of attacks to surprise my opponent on their ability to hit back just as hard as they take hits. With VL I leverage greater healing across my units. 15 Bladeghasts so I can heal them if (when) they get targeted. Spirit hosts to bog down and chase some delicious MW output and the BC as a float between flanks.

But really torn on Reiknor or VL for the final component..

If you're going attrition, VL for sure. Spread some Deathly Invocations around. Just don't leave him alone.

Though, to be honest, this list doesn't scream attrition to me. Olynder doesn't get her CA unless she's general, and RotSH is generally the better bet. If you're bringing her for cast potential, she's got really great spells but no bonus to cast them.  Reikenor's your better option unless you need the extra unbind and can't bring Myrmourn Banshees.

That leaves you 40 points for a couple of endless spells. Gravetide would be pretty good for some mobile cover and second-turn protection.

You could grab a second spell or leave it at 1980 and see if your opponent brings more, and if so grab yourself a Triumph.

For those of you having Tzeentch Pink Horror problems, have you tried Reikenor? You can either let him teleport to you, or teleport to him with Harrow and shoot the corpse candle mortal wound at the icon bearer. It's not the greatest at 170 points, but he lets you kill the icon specifically and then his Wraithstorm spell seems pretty good against horror units.

Edited by SleeperAgent

On 1/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, SleeperAgent said:

It can be rough to have to listen to people tell you how you can do things differently, but from our perspective that is the "magical christmasland" of scenarios for the darkfire daemonrift. It wont happen nearly that often and can be mitigated by better unit placement. Sometimes it will do 50 wounds, sometimes it will do 5. Thats the natures of the game.

The problem is that no matter what it shouldn't be doing 50...... 

35 minutes ago, Saxon said:

The problem is that no matter what it shouldn't be doing 50...... 

There's other spells with similar potential. Purple Sun, Warp Lightning Vortex, Everblaze Comet all come to mind. The difference is those spells rely on luck and stuff the opponent does to do massive amounts of damage, so they can be played against whereas Daemonrift in Tzeentch allows the controlling player to execute the optimal setup. 

On another note, I'm late to the party, but I've been able to use a list with Dolorous Guard and Lady Olynder general a few times now. I have to say I love it.

I never got good use out of RotSH before as my Harrow was always teleporting away from battle, so her command ability is an upgrade for me. I miss the Spectral Summons trick, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. With Underworlds deployment, Pendant of the Fell Wind, and Cogs; I always have plenty of movement. 

Meanwhile, Lady O and her Guard make for a block that can dominate the board control game. Especially when I run a unit of chaff with them. They can also fight just about anything with all the mortal wound potential. Finally, it makes Nighthaunt really competitive in hero missions now that we have a tanky and killy hero. I played Relocation Orb and Olynder and her Guard were able to dominate the objective. 

I'm hoping to take the list to a one day tournament in March. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

On another note, I'm late to the party, but I've been able to use a list with Dolorous Guard and Lady Olynder general a few times now. I have to say I love it.

I never got good use out of RotSH before as my Harrow was always teleporting away from battle, so her command ability is an upgrade for me. I miss the Spectral Summons trick, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. With Underworlds deployment, Pendant of the Fell Wind, and Cogs; I always have plenty of movement. 

Meanwhile, Lady O and her Guard make for a block that can dominate the board control game. Especially when I run a unit of chaff with them. They can also fight just about anything with all the mortal wound potential. Finally, it makes Nighthaunt really competitive in hero missions now that we have a tanky and killy hero. I played Relocation Orb and Olynder and her Guard were able to dominate the objective. 

I'm hoping to take the list to a one day tournament in March. 

So far only the Dolorous Guard made it into a tournament list. It was at LVO and not a lot of details about it.

At my non-tournament play I've run various versions of the Emerald Host battalions and seen major success with them compared to without. They have their uses, and as long as you don't overplay I really do think they make us a right competitive army.

Obviously the Dolorous Guard is the breakout star, being able to make any general a tank and buffing Hexwraiths to finally deal their points worth of mortal wounds. Olynder is a great general for that role, since she can deal the most wounds in close combat and is self-supporting with her abilities, Reaping Scythe or Lifestealer spells, and command ability. She's a scary target, and becomes one that has to be answered.

Forgotten Scions doesn't get as much love, and it's not hard to see why. Those DHs are 90 to 180 points you don't necessarily want to spend unless one is your general. But, I think people are missing the utility this battalion brings. The sheer power of the KoSoES's buffs aside, it's also a single drop with two units that can teleport onto objectives. When playing this battalion one of the Dreadblades is always carrying a Midnight Tome and a support spell, and the other is always with the Pendant of the Fel Wind. Spot support in our two most important ways.

But there's more. My most devastating wins come from making the KoSoES the general and running the entirety of Emerald Host. The Knight taking Shadow's Edge, spending the free CA on himself, and a CP each on either Hexwraith to each side, is phenomenal MW potential. And since they're all faster than Olynder, nuking a back line is no issue, you are more likely to use Spectral Hunters, and you're more likely to heal from Stolen Hours and Feed on Terror. Bring the Midnight Tome carrier with Spectral Tether just in case, if you want.

And lastly, the Emerald Host's 80 point super-battalion ability is not limited to the Host, or even your army. Pick an enemy hero at the start of the game and they get a permanent -1 save from *all* attacks.

It's expensive. The entire base setup is 920 points. But that gets you:

-3 extra CP

-3 extra artefacts

-Hexwraiths 2x5 buffed with +1 attacks on a charge (horses included)

-KoSoES buffed with +1 sword attacks and ~26 wounds

-Free +1 attacks to a unit per turn

-RotSH always bringing back multi-wound models

-2 DHs that can carry support items and teleport to objectives

-Permanent -1 save to an enemy hero from all sources that are "attacks"

-Spectral Summons if needed

-All at one drop

/soapbox

I just really want to see more Emerald Host being played at tournament level...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

So far only the Dolorous Guard made it into a tournament list. It was at LVO and not a lot of details about it.

At my non-tournament play I've run various versions of the Emerald Host battalions and seen major success with them compared to without. They have their uses, and as long as you don't overplay I really do think they make us a right competitive army.

Obviously the Dolorous Guard is the breakout star, being able to make any general a tank and buffing Hexwraiths to finally deal their points worth of mortal wounds. Olynder is a great general for that role, since she can deal the most wounds in close combat and is self-supporting with her abilities, Reaping Scythe or Lifestealer spells, and command ability. She's a scary target, and becomes one that has to be answered.

Forgotten Scions doesn't get as much love, and it's not hard to see why. Those DHs are 90 to 180 points you don't necessarily want to spend unless one is your general. But, I think people are missing the utility this battalion brings. The sheer power of the KoSoES's buffs aside, it's also a single drop with two units that can teleport onto objectives. When playing this battalion one of the Dreadblades is always carrying a Midnight Tome and a support spell, and the other is always with the Pendant of the Fel Wind. Spot support in our two most important ways.

But there's more. My most devastating wins come from making the KoSoES the general and running the entirety of Emerald Host. The Knight taking Shadow's Edge, spending the free CA on himself, and a CP each on either Hexwraith to each side, is phenomenal MW potential. And since they're all faster than Olynder, nuking a back line is no issue, you are more likely to use Spectral Hunters, and you're more likely to heal from Stolen Hours and Feed on Terror. Bring the Midnight Tome carrier with Spectral Tether just in case, if you want.

And lastly, the Emerald Host's 80 point super-battalion ability is not limited to the Host, or even your army. Pick an enemy hero at the start of the game and they get a permanent -1 save from *all* attacks.

It's expensive. The entire base setup is 920 points. But that gets you:

-3 extra CP

-3 extra artefacts

-Hexwraiths 2x5 buffed with +1 attacks on a charge (horses included)

-KoSoES buffed with +1 sword attacks and ~26 wounds

-Free +1 attacks to a unit per turn

-RotSH always bringing back multi-wound models

-2 DHs that can carry support items and teleport to objectives

-Permanent -1 save to an enemy hero from all sources that are "attacks"

-Spectral Summons if needed

-All at one drop

/soapbox

I do like the sound of the emerald host and I am actually just getting into the hobby myself.

I've been a long time 40k player and tried to build (and failed) a few different AoS armies. I actually started getting interested because of nighthaunt and while trying out a few different armies I just lost interest in them as time went on. I think I always knew that the ghosts were what I wanted hahaha. I have a noobish question about the KoSoES actually, I was looking on the GW website and couldn't find the model for it. Is it only in the soul wars box? Also, do you have a sample list for your emerald host army? Whats the best way to run the hexwraiths? In 5's or 10's?

I have so many questions that I'm not really sure where to start hahaha

37 minutes ago, Skeesh said:

I do like the sound of the emerald host and I am actually just getting into the hobby myself.

I've been a long time 40k player and tried to build (and failed) a few different AoS armies. I actually started getting interested because of nighthaunt and while trying out a few different armies I just lost interest in them as time went on. I think I always knew that the ghosts were what I wanted hahaha. I have a noobish question about the KoSoES actually, I was looking on the GW website and couldn't find the model for it. Is it only in the soul wars box? Also, do you have a sample list for your emerald host army? Whats the best way to run the hexwraiths? In 5's or 10's?

I have so many questions that I'm not really sure where to start hahaha

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome - Shademist
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Shadow's Edge
Spirit Torment (120)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Slitter

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
2 x Chainghasts (70)

Battalions
The Dolorous Guard (120)
The Forgotten Scions (140)
The Emerald Host (80)
The Condemned (150)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

So, here's how I run this:

The entirety of the Emerald Host can be 1-dropped, so that's everything but both units of Bladegheists and Cairn Wraith for a total of 4. For my first drop I put one unit of Bladegheists on the table. For my second, the other unit. For my third, the Cairn Wraith who's always going to be with them. And for my fourth I put out the Spirit Torment with the Cairn Wraith, both Dreadblade Harrows anywhere out of danger for 6 units on the table. At the same time the KoSoES, both units of Hexwraiths, the Chainghasts, and both units of Chainrasps go into the Underworlds for 6 units there.

Then, before the game starts proper, find either the biggest enemy threat or the most important enemy hero and target it for Emerald Curse and the -1 save.

After that the strategy is pretty simple. You have a ton in Underworlds, and two teleporters on the field. If you have a clear opening to an objective, grab it, either with a DH or dropping a Chainrasp Horde on it. If you need to wrestle one away, send the Bladegheists toward it with the two heroes in tow. If you engage with the Bladegheists, try to have the Cairn Wraith in the middle and don't select him to fight until after the enemy has exhausted the unit he's within 1" to so you might be able to break the enemy's coherency with them having no moves to consolidate. With the ST there, if they're going to target a hero they'll likely choose him over the Wraith, so keep him just close enough to provide his buff and return models.

If you can, hold objectives with the DHs and swap the Chainrasps in to hold if danger comes their way. Otherwise, use the Chainrasps as reinforcement on any battle your Bladegheists are engaged in, charging in from behind or at an angle to swarm them. Both the 'gheists and 'rasps will benefit from either the ST or Chainghasts nearby, but they don't need both, so if you end up splitting up be sure to send support with them: either any hero with the Chainghasts, or the ST by himself. Your choice.

Lastly, the coup de grace that makes the above work: Clearly in a straight one-on-one you might be lacking in the firepower department, but you can bring the fear. As soon as the opportunity appears drop the Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed and both units of Hexwraiths as close as you can to a tasty target. If your opponent was holding things back, assess if they did it because those units were important or if it was just to keep you from dropping in behind them. You will laugh at their fencing, so choose the actual high-value targets and drop in near there. Remember you can fly. If you need to charge in the turn you dropped them, go ahead, but I wouldn't commit unless either both Hexwraith units, or one of them and the Knight, make the charge. Otherwise, wait for the next turn to get your movement. The KoSoES get's his free CA once per turn, so if you find yourself getting charged while waiting for your next move phase, pop it and punish them with the counter. You will be able to spend 2 CP to empower your Hexwraith units, as well. With the Aetherquartz hopefully you get 1 back, but if not that's okay. On your next move, either finish the job if you were engaged, or get into position and charge if not Bonus if the Hexwraiths can fly over the enemy unit, but it's not necessary. Again, unload CPs and nuke. Try to keep 2 CP in reserve, though, so you can always pump up the attacks.

This will demand to be dealt with by your opponent. Either they disengage from your other units to deal with it, or they lean hard with their targeted units and try to tie you up. Both are good. It's an objective game, so wait out the clock.

• Like 4

Hi guys, 

I'm new on the Nighthaunt forum, I have a question regarding Dreadscythe harridans. I do appologize if this has been answered in the past, I couldn't find it.

The Murderous Bloodlust ability on their warscroll mentions that if an unmodified wound roll of 6 happens, then that attack does 2 damage. I am wondering how it works for the opponent when he rolls to save. Which of the ''wound attacks'' does he save when he makes a save? The single damage ones or the double damage ones?

For example, I roll to hit and make 3 of those. I roll for wounds and I make 3 of those but I have 2 sixes. So my opponent must save 3 at -1 rend. Let's say he saves 2 wounds. Which of the ''wound rolls'' has he saved? How do we determine the damage that transfers from the successes?

I hope this makes sense :)

Edited by Jabbuk

5 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys, 

I'm new on the Nighthaunt forum, I have a question regarding Dreadscythe harridans. I do appologize if this has been answered in the past, I couldn't find it.

The Murderous Bloodlust ability on their warscroll mentions that if an unmodified wound roll of 6 happens, then that attack does 2 damage. I am wondering how it works for the opponent when he rolls to save. Which of the ''wound attacks'' does he save when he makes a save? The single damage ones or the double damage ones?

For example, I roll to hit and make 3 of those. I roll for wounds and I make 3 of those but I have 2 sixes. So my opponent must save 3 at -1 rend. Let's say he saves 2 wounds. Which of the ''wound rolls'' has he saved? How do we determine the damage that transfers from the successes?

I think you overthink this, just make separate rolls. 

Your opponent rolls all the normal saves and after that just roll the number of dice for each attack that have increased damage. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

Hi guys, 

I let my opponent choose, but it's really up to you.

I just separate out the 6s into a seperate pile from the rest of the successful wounds and point at them saying "X at rend 1" and "Y at rend 1, 2 damage each."

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Thanks 1

So, after thinking about and consulting some players on Nighthaunt and their play style, the more and more I began to reimagine the way I look at Nighthaunt as an army. For starters, I began to compare our army to others, and what I found is that Nighthaunt, outside of our regen and other tidbits, doesn't really compare all that well to either FEC, LoN or OBR. Instead, I find our closest cousin to actually be Warherd focused Beasts of Chaos. I've been studying their play style, and I think thats gonna help me understand how to move our units, and how to hit our enemy.

That said,  below is the current list that I plan to bring to a tournament this Friday. 

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Cloaked in Shadow
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Artefact: Cloak of the Waxing Moon
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)

Units

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)
Shroudguard (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

Now, for starters, the list more of an attrition based list; the clear stars being the -2 to hit in melee and -3 to hit from shooting and heros Lord Executioner. Him and the Spirit Host horde with RotSH isnt exactly uncommon, but I think adding him with Gryphfeather will make him a very difficult to remove thorn. He is supported by a horde of Chainrasps, who will maneuver with the Guardian of Souls to help swarm objectives. A unit of Grimghasts will help clear chaff, while the Bladegheists will strike down enemies who escape the flurry of Spirit Hosts. Reiknor is a utility choice, although, he could possibly be replaced. I enjoy his sniping ability, and his +3 cast is a good way to get Soul Cage or Wraith Storm off, plus he isn't a slouch in combat. The KoS will support the rest of the army where needed, being a problem shooter.

The major point of this list is to present two solid road blocks, with the two other Spirit Hosts being bumps to help set up charges for the other units. Multiple threats that can maneuver around these walls are important, so the Bladegheists and Grimghasts are a must.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

So, after thinking about and consulting some players on Nighthaunt and their play style, the more and more I began to reimagine the way I look at Nighthaunt as an army. For starters, I began to compare our army to others, and what I found is that Nighthaunt, outside of our regen and other tidbits, doesn't really compare all that well to either FEC, LoN or OBR. Instead, I find our closest cousin to actually be Warherd focused Beasts of Chaos. I've been studying their play style, and I think thats gonna help me understand how to move our units, and how to hit our enemy.

Let us know how it goes.

Good morning everyone,

A while ago I bought myself some NH stuff to start an army and it was before all the recent book releases. I had bought enough models to create a nice 1000pts list as a starting point. I saw some nice 1k lists in previous posts that are drastically different than mine and was looking for some input on:

1. How to play generally with my list?
2. Who to make general? 
3. How to deploy? (ex. should I go with KoSoES and Bladegheist in the underworld all the time?)
4 And finally Where should I go from there in terms of army building?

Here's my list:

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)

Units

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 65

If some of you more experienced ghost boys could take some time to enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Meanwhile, I'm doing my homework and listening to AoS Coach Nighthaunt Faction Focus :)

On 2/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, EnixLHQ said:

It's probably a decent list, all things considered. I don't have the models for it, so I won't be giving it a try. I also tend to think that being one drop isn't that useful for Nighthaunt. Being one drop allows you to go first against alpha strike lists, but we shouldn't fear alphas with our ability to deploy half our units off the table. It also allows you to go first and alpha armies that need a turn to get powered up - but those armies typically deploy in a castle that we just don't have the tools to break unless you roll 10+ for all of your turn one charges. It does still allow us to seek the double, but it's just not as powerful for our army as it is for others.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:42 AM, The_Dudemeister said:

It's very rare not to see Ruler of the Spirit Hosts for the general

This is true, but I'm beginning to wonder why that is. Obviously, RotSH is powerful, and even more so if used with Spirit Hosts. But if you're general is a teleporting Harrow, chances are you won't be by the unit you need to heal. I always took it on my Harrow general, and hardly ever used the ability because I was putting my Harrow into strategic positions for board control and not in middle of a big unit. So I mean, RotSH is powerful, but I think trying out other traits is a worthwhile endeavor.

Also, did anyone ever see the Nighthaunt list that did well at Heat 1 at Warhammer World in the UK? I saw someone did pretty well, but haven't seen the list anywhere. Thanks.

Hey guys. I'm not an expert or anything, but I do pretty well with our ghosty bois and I figured I'd put together a beginner's guide. It's the sort of thing I wish I had when I started playing. I know there are a lot of resources out there, but none really hit it home for me as much as my own experience and talking to experts directly did. Hopefully I captured a bit of that in this guide.

Please let me know what you think. If you think I should add anything, let me know that, too.

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 2