AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

if we go off equivalent pts vs wounds you have the following:

• 3 spirit hosts = 9 wounds. 18 attacks in total and fishing for 6's. Gain alot of use from the black coach and Mortarch of Grief who both revive whole models. Other than that they have a 6" move and a 4+ 6+++ when near heros.
  • 10 grimghast reapers = 10 wounds. 18 attacks with the scythes, 1 with the bell. If your lucky the bell can inflict 2 MWs to any unit within 3" (hero or a key unit). Reroll hits vs units with 5 or more models, 2" reach so can swing over a line of chainrasps, 4+ 6+++ like the spirit hosts and can gain more models back through a guardian of souls. oh and they are quick with an 8" move.
  • 20 chainrasps = 20 wounds. tarpit essentially and objective holder. With the right synergy they can dish out alot of rendless attacks. They move 6" but get a lot of millage out of certain regain builds (but as Nevar stated before LoN will do it better but its still and option). Only a 5+ 6+++, and there leader can be sniped out (rare case) to drop there bravery down to 6.

3 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Chainrasp Horde is a blobby horde unit.  Think of them as the Nighthaunt equivalents of Skeletons.  They rely on buffs to do any damage.

Grimghast Reapers is also pretty blobby horde unit but more elite.  You can imagine them as Nighthaunt's Grave Guard, less reliant on buffs but still like them.

Spirit Hosts are multi-wound high attack models that rely mostly on MWs to do damage.  Not easy to revive, but can also benefit from buffs and are hard to lose models at once to begin with.

Hexwraiths... cavalry battleline that love Mortal Wounds... Cavalry battleline...

Would it be a terrible idea to run wraiths as the only Battleline in a cavalry list? I Imagine holding objevtives is a bit easier with blob of chainrasps or reapers?

Just now, Nuradin said:

Would it be a terrible idea to run wraiths as the only Battleline in a cavalry list? I Imagine holding objevtives is a bit easier with blob of chainrasps or reapers?

well the hex wraiths have the movement benefit over the other options, still kick out MWs and it isnt too hard to regen them back. Just remember that they are 2w models so they will go down if you put them in bad match ups. But with the pendant and deathrider battalion they are super mobile and hit hard. Chainrasps are good for holding a back line objective.

Just now, Nuradin said:

It depends on the objectives.  Extremely fast cavalry with fly can obviously reposition to seize more objectives quickly.  They have less models for a grinding contest over a single location so they will not as easily win a shoving match over a centrally contested objective if you think of it that way.  You have to play more like 'water' so to speak with all fast cavalry and not commit into a grind unless you need to.

The game's actual objective decides this, but if you are going to have other large units that can grind it out, then filling your battle line with horses is by no means an issue.

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Also lets not forget the general of the army can drag a NH unit from one part of the battlefield and plonk them wholly with 12" of him and 9" away from the enemy so having a unit on the back may not be so bad with that ability. NH are very mobile.

Forget that, you can have all of your 'slow' units in the underworld and just teleport them all into position.

Then teleport one to your general to reinforce a flank that needs help.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

It depends on the objectives.  Extremely fast cavalry with fly can obviously reposition to seize more objectives quickly.  They have less models for a grinding contest over a single location so they will not as easily win a shoving match over a centrally contested objective if you think of it that way.  You have to play more like 'water' so to speak with all fast cavalry and not commit into a grind unless you need to.

The game's actual objective decides this, but if you are going to have other large units that can grind it out, then filling your battle line with horses is by no means an issue.

Not really sure why, but two units of 10 wraiths and 1 unit of chainrasps for battleline and then bladegheists and those harrow rider thingies to be the anvil are what interests me quite a bit atm!

I assume mKoS and guardian of souls would.complement such a list? Thinking Buffs and battalions..

And the coach thing, even though I havent seen the warscroll seems Good in a fast list.

What else would complememt it? Could MoG provide anything? Or is Reikenor THE way to go.?

48 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Not really sure why, but two units of 10 wraiths and 1 unit of chainrasps for battleline and then bladegheists and those harrow rider thingies to be the anvil are what interests me quite a bit atm!

I assume mKoS and guardian of souls would.complement such a list? Thinking Buffs and battalions..

And the coach thing, even though I havent seen the warscroll seems Good in a fast list.

What else would complememt it? Could MoG provide anything? Or is Reikenor THE way to go.?

cant go wrong with chaingasts... i personally love reikenor, hes no MoG but hes cheap and reliable. His melee is abit meh if you roll poorly, other than that i see uses for him. 

If your going hex heavy you wanna stick to mainly deathriders as your battalion, pendant as your relic on a harrow, you could forgo the MoG and have the mounted KoS with the cloak to give him -2 to hit when by your units. You could have a core of just pure hexes and then underworld a few units of chaingasts and lob flails at people 15" away to kill harder targets. 

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

cant go wrong with chaingasts... i personally love reikenor, hes no MoG but hes cheap and reliable. His melee is abit meh if you roll poorly, other than that i see uses for him. 

If your going hex heavy you wanna stick to mainly deathriders as your battalion, pendant as your relic on a harrow, you could forgo the MoG and have the mounted KoS with the cloak to give him -2 to hit when by your units. You could have a core of just pure hexes and then underworld a few units of chaingasts and lob flails at people 15" away to kill harder targets. 

Do we know if  the Jailer and Chainghast boxed set will allow you to build 3 chainghasts instead of the Spirit Torment?
Cause the starter box gives 1 spirit torment and the jailer gives a second. And if you then want to add more chainghasts without getting that 3rd spirit torment.. can you do that with the jailer box?

Deathriders meaning Hexwraiths?

I thought Harrows was a unit of two? Are the harrows heroes? Cause I thought you could only give artifacts and such to heroes..

deathriders is the battalion: 1 dreadblade harrow 2 units of hex wraiths. A dreadblade harrow is a hero of 1, you just get 2 in the kit by the looks of it. They are pretty cheap and are an auto include in my eyes.

From looking the sprue, the spirit torment must be built as him, but they is no stopping you convert him, but the unit of chaingasts is 2-4 as a unit, so having 3 is still 1 off. ;) 

deathriders: 1-2 dreadblade harrows, 2 units of hexwraiths, 1 black coach. add 1 to charge + unmodified 9" charge roll fight first and then fight normal.

What the battalion does ^ i typed out all that i saw earlier on in the thread.

*awkwardly been missing the H out of ghasts for like 2 pages haha.... ops XD*

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

10 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Do we know if  the Jailer and Chainghast boxed set will allow you to build 3 chainghasts instead of the Spirit Torment?
Cause the starter box gives 1 spirit torment and the jailer gives a second. And if you then want to add more chainghasts without getting that 3rd spirit torment.. can you do that with the jailer box?

No there a only two pairs of those chainghast weapons in the sprues

Deathriders meaning Hexwraiths?

No

I thought Harrows was a unit of two? Are the harrows heroes? Cause I thought you could only give artifacts and such to heroes..

Harrows are 1 man Units with Hero Keyword which comes in a Box of two because of battalion where you need two of them

Edited by Ahn-ket

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

deathriders is the battalion: 1 dreadblade harrow 2 units of hex wraiths. A dreadblade harrow is a hero of 1, you just get 2 in the kit by the looks of it. They are pretty cheap and are an auto include in my eyes.

From looking the sprue, the spirit torment must be built as him, but they is no stopping you convert him, but the unit of chaingasts is 2-4 as a unit, so having 3 is still 1 off. ;) 

deathriders: 1-2 dreadblade harrows, 2 units of hexwraiths, 1 black coach. add 1 to charge + unmodified 9" charge roll fight first and then fight normal.

What the battalion does ^ i typed out all that i saw earlier on in the thread.

*awkwardly been missing the H out of ghasts for like 2 pages haha.... ops XD*

aah, sorry. Still dont know all the names of everything. Thanks for clearing it up. And I read what the batallion does. It was what made me want to try for a cavalry list.
Aaah, I didn't know the numbers for the chaingast units, So basically buy two boxes of jailors and you will just have an extra spirit torment :D Dont know if running 4 chainghasts is a good thing, though.. or if 2 is the magic number.

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

aah, sorry. Still dont know all the names of everything. Thanks for clearing it up. And I read what the batallion does. It was what made me want to try for a cavalry list.
Aaah, I didn't know the numbers for the chaingast units, So basically buy two boxes of jailors and you will just have an extra spirit torment :D Dont know if running 4 chainghasts is a good thing, though.. or if 2 is the magic number.

well 4 is 4d3 shots, 4s 3s -2 with a 15" range. Thats enough to threaten a tougher unit, finish off wounded characters and monsters, be generally annoying and they arent too expensive for 4 coming in at just abit more than 10 grimghasts and only 2 wounds less. There CC capabilities can also be amazing against the right size unit. Once again like the bladegheists they are just grimghasts that are better for only a slight pts increase.

2 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Two unit of two Chaingast with one Spirit torment to extend the ability of the torment by 12“

1 minute ago, Ahn-ket said:

Two unit of two Chaingast with one Spirit torment to extend the ability of the torment by 12“

Somehow the boxed set just gets worse and worse... since the spirit torment from the box doesn't have an chainghasts. So if you want 2 units of 2 or 4 chainghasts you still have to buy 2 boxes and then you already have 2 spirit torments, making the one you got from the starter redundant....

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

Somehow the boxed set just gets worse and worse... since the spirit torment from the box doesn't have an chainghasts. So if you want 2 units of 2 or 4 chainghasts you still have to buy 2 boxes and then you already have 2 spirit torments, making the one you got from the starter redundant....

honestly it wouldnt be hard to convert the 4 grimghasts in the soul wars set into 4 chainghasts.

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

well 4 is 4d3 shots, 4s 3s -2 with a 15" range. Thats enough to threaten a tougher unit, finish off wounded characters and monsters, be generally annoying and they arent too expensive for 4 coming in at just abit more than 10 grimghasts and only 2 wounds less. There CC capabilities can also be amazing against the right size unit. Once again like the bladegheists they are just grimghasts that are better for only a slight pts increase.

I like almost everything about the model, so I would love to run 2 units of 2 or 1 unit of 4 in conjunction with either one or two spirit torments. Not really sure how many spirit torments are needed. Not even sure Spirit Torments are needed in a cavalry list.. but they are so darn cool :D

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

honestly it wouldnt be hard to convert the 4 grimghasts in the soul wars set into 4 chainghasts.

Care to give your ideas on how to do that? without green stuff.. not really sure what sort of sprues you will get. Perhaps the jailer boxed set includes more than one setup of chain weapons?

Just now, Nuradin said:

I like almost everything about the model, so I would love to run 2 units of 2 or 1 unit of 4 in conjunction with either one or two spirit torments. Not really sure how many spirit torments are needed. Not even sure Spirit Torments are needed in a cavalry list.. but they are so darn cool :D

Ive got one in my army list and ill test how he plays.

I also just finished greenstuffing my mournghul to look like a massive lord executioner without the axe. His face is covered with his cowl but his mouth is left bare. Ill post up a picture as soon as he is fully set. He has the same cloak scheme as the other new ethereal units. Fits in so much better now! 

4 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Care to give your ideas on how to do that? without green stuff.. not really sure what sort of sprues you will get. Perhaps the jailer boxed set includes more than one setup of chain weapons?

So i would keep there hands where they are already and just chop off the scythes, and attach small chains from their wrists. On the end it can be anything, it doesnt have to be those bricks. You could recycle the ends of scythes and have them fling them around on the end of their chains!! (damn thatd look awesome).

As for there faces you can either leave them blind folded, but i would liquid greenstuff the facial features to represent the faceless iron masks they wear. (liquid greenstuff is really easy to use compared to normal greenstuff).

5 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I originally thought chainghasts could be independant of one another ala synapse to spread the torment aura but Im guessing they will have to be in a group

which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it would be too easy to kill off a single CG. Try theorycrafting them, i usually just roll some dice and get a feel for a unit. I can pm a list ive just thought up.

think of them as a unit of castigators that have both buffs off (near a spirit torment for the reroll 1s to hit).  And then add in the cc output, better survivability and there another link in the chain ability.