AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Thanks for the feedback folks, I share the same worries about the lack of durability and think two Batallions is too costly in NH. I didn't know about the CP restriction, I figured Warscroll Builder would prevent it. I already have a KoS in the list though, I'll replace with something else. As for the Gryph-Feather charm, it's not possible because I must play Ulgu for the Headsman relic, otherwise the LE might as well plead for mercy in the first fight he'll face.

Anyway you're right, too many combos in the list. I'll write it again with one version with the LE and another with the Shroudguard. Not going to try it anytime soon in any case, I lack several models for now.

Sure, which is why some folks will just pick up specific issues, or split with a friend.

I am going to order mine through Forbidden Planet in the UK.

I am going to be collecting the NH and terrain issues. Maybe a couple of the SCE but I am pretty full on those.

Not sure if i will grab the Craven Court when it comes out now.

So I thought about another list. This one is named Mortal Kombat in fit of inspiration, as the aim of it is to drown the opponent in mortal wounds.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Knight of Shrouds (100)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Lord Executioner (80)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Spirit Torment (120)
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (220)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist

Battleline
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

I load up on Spirit Hosts to have some durability and easily fit them in these dreadful 12" aura abilities. They're also here because of the battalion and to saturate in MWs.

I'm wondering if the Banshees are worthwhile here, I do love their damage potential but they need to unbind spells for that, and so need to be close, and so ideally in reserves, but my reserves will be crowded already. I believe they'd be better in a list with a KoSoES or a Vampire Lord to easily give them +1A, as it is they're pretty expensive for 12W.

The Bladegheists are here for those guys which won't care about my MWs: cheap hordes. They're fantastic and I can't see myself playing without them as I didn't try the Steroid Harridans yet.

Thoughts on this one ? I have better durability here than in ly previous list as everyone has a 4++ but the number of bodies is light. The point of the list is obviously to remedy this problem by reducing my opponent army's numbers quite fast, but I don't know how this'll hold up IRL.

9 hours ago, Aaranis said:

Lord Executioner (80)

- Artefact: Sword of Judgement

The Bladegheists are here for those guys which won't care about my MWs: cheap hordes. They're fantastic and I can't see myself playing without them as I didn't try the Steroid Harridans yet.

Sword of Judgement isn't a good artefact for the Lord Executioner. 1 Mortal Wound on a hit roll of 6+. 5+ with the battalion. Theoretically 4+ with the KoS, but I can't see any situation where it's worth to pump a CP into a 16% higher chance to do a single MW instead of using that on any other unit. Either way, he only has 3 attacks so we're talking really slim chances.

With your high MW output you don't need more stuff that can only be used against heroes and monsters anyway. As you said, you need something against hordes. So try out the same realm's "Betrayer's Crown". Once per battle only, it deals a MW on a 5+ per model. So a 30-man blob comes crashing into you and you immediately deal 6 mortal wounds on average. This happens at the start of the combat phase! Not only are you doing 6 Spirit Hosts worth of MW, but also prevent incoming damage as they die before attacking you.

Personally I'd rather let the KoS hang out with the Bladegheists. But granted you keep him close enough to the Executioner, we're talking 1.5 mortal wounds per turn. And all those hits on 4+ will end the attack sequence so you can only fish for his 3-damage attack on a 3 to hit and 6 to wound. That makes it even worse. 6 immediate MW against hordes that you have a weakness against seems much better to me.

Myrmourn Banshees are always good. You're right that they're best used with KoSoES or VampLord. Though you only have so many CP and therefore can't use all the good stuff there is at the same time anyway. You can use them defensively instead of using them as a hammer. First for their crazy strong unbinding, you want them to stick around for long anyway. Preferably at max size. Secondly, they have a huge bull's eye on them. 12 wounds in total is enough to kill every of our heroes, sometimes twice over. So you'd rather want them to be targeted than our heroes. Meanwhile it's easy to bring several of them back. An opponent who relies on magic and really really wants them gone can spend upwards of 15 successful damage to wipe them out. That's two to three heroes they could've killed instead. It's a no-win scenario for the opponent wether they target them or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, but I have to correct you about the Sword of Judgement: it deals 1d66 mortal wounds on a 6+, by statistics (and a lot of simulated dice rolls on my desk :D) I deal 9 MWs on average when all conditions are met.  These being: Having a Spirit Host within 6" of the target (easy), casting Olynder's spell on the target (already more unsure), then burning 2 CPs to give +2 with the KoS. In total I get 3 Attacks which deals 1d6 MWs on a 2+, and I reroll 1s to Hit if I managed to sneak my Spirit Torment into the mix. 

If I manage a 10" charge I'll deal the same on 4+ instead of 2+ because I won't have the KoS' abilities in the Charge phase but with a little luck you can deal 6-9 MWs too, going  to a total of 15-18 MWs on a 10+ charge. 

There's a lot of "ifs" I agree, and I love it, feels like having a successful plan thought ages ago and there's few things in the game that give me more joy than a plan unfolding :D 

It's an unusual list which is very fun to play, my Executioner has killed vamp lord on zombie dragon with ethereal amulet, Arkhan the black, bloodthirster, freeguild general on griffon and settra, to name a few. 

It's not guaranteed to one shot bigger monster but smaller heroes are very fragile to this combo. 

For me this this has been a good learning experience for me and my friends. For me i have learned alot on finding weak spots and to do unexpected things. Sometimes a small support hero is more important to kill than a bigger monster because that monster can be stalled one turn by your other units. For my friends, they are learning to screen of deepstrike in an more efficient way, the executioner is a small flying hero and can fit many gaps while the SHs just need to be somewhat close by. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aaranis said:

Thanks for the advice, but I have to correct you about the Sword of Judgement: it deals 1d66 mortal wounds on a 6+

There's a lot of "ifs" I agree, and I love it, feels like having a successful plan thought ages ago and there's few things in the game that give me more joy than a plan unfolding :D 

Oh yeah, you're right. Damn I missed out on damage last time I played it with just 1MW!

Ps: The last paragraph shows that Tzeentch is getting to you! Beware the Changer of Ways! 😱😁

Edited by The_Dudemeister
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Platypus said:

There's a Mortis Engine in the back.

True. I thought the Mortis Engine was nighthaunt.

24 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Maybe they'll announce that all models with the Malignant keyword can be part of a Nighthaunt army. That would be amazing

Probably. Otherwise, it would make no sense.

7 hours ago, Aaranis said:

I deal 9 MWs on average when all conditions are met.  These being: Having a Spirit Host within 6" of the target (easy), casting Olynder's spell on the target (already more unsure), then burning 2 CPs to give +2 with the KoS. In total I get 3 Attacks which deals 1d6 MWs on a 2+, and I reroll 1s to Hit if I managed to sneak my Spirit Torment into the mix.

So I did the maffs and it turns out you don't need the Executioner Horde battalion for this wombo combo. A Knight of Shrouds with LadyO, 1s to reroll and 2CP for itself has the same MW-output. 4 attacks, triggering MW on 3+, rerolling ones gives you 3.11x the golden shot, compared to 2.92x for the same thing but the Executioner triggering it on 2+.

So in case you prefer the Shroudguard battalion to Execution Horde, that would be an alternative route. And in case you really want to spend 3CP on one attack and have the KoS trigger it on 2+ himself, you'd get 3.9 times the golden shot for 13.6 mortal wounds on average. YIKES

4 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

So I did the maffs and it turns out you don't need the Executioner Horde battalion for this wombo combo. A Knight of Shrouds with LadyO, 1s to reroll and 2CP for itself has the same MW-output. 4 attacks, triggering MW on 3+, rerolling ones gives you 3.11x the golden shot, compared to 2.92x for the same thing but the Executioner triggering it on 2+.

So in case you prefer the Shroudguard battalion to Execution Horde, that would be an alternative route. And in case you really want to spend 3CP on one attack and have the KoS trigger it on 2+ himself, you'd get 3.9 times the golden shot for 13.6 mortal wounds on average. YIKES

Yeah I did the same maths myself, having 4A triggering on 3+ or 3A triggering on 2+ deals the same averages. The thing the Executioner have compared to the KoS is resilience against returned attacks: He gives -1 to Hit on an enemy Hero within 6", the Spirit Hosts give an additional -1 to Hit, and he has a 5+ FNP against MWs, which may or may not be stackable with the regular FNP of the NH, I need someone to tell me if it's possible. So in case of total flop or enemy trickery that prevents the Executioner from attacking first he can stay alive a lot easier.

Also the CPs will already be scarce in this list, I start with 2, get 1 on my turn, that leaves me 3CP to do a successful 7" charge (if Cogs is on the table) and give me +2 to Hit. I even hesitated with including Kurdoss to try to grab an additionnal CP but a 1/3 chance to do so is too low for another gimmick 200+ character in my list which already lacks bodies.

But yeah a Shroudguard is my second choice for a batallion, and with the additional attack with a little luck (and a Spirit Torment for rerolling 1s) you can deal even more MWs, it's just more risky.

I have yet to find another army that can use the Sword of Judgement as well, though I didn't search very thoroughly neither. Legions of Nagash can't get +3 to Hit, I don't believe Ossiarch can neither ? So either it needs to be wielded by a Hero that can deal a dozen attacks or can buff himself a lot to be reliable. And such a Hero won't have the small base the Executioner has.