AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Yeah I'm planning on buying it too if finances allow it, it's a fantastic way to expand your army and if it's your first box, just expand from there :D

I absolutely LOVE Kurdoss' model, he really look like the king of spirits, and his lore is awesome too. His abilities on the table are questionable but I'll play him for the cool factor and maniacal laugh when I do steal a CP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey everyone, I have a quick question that came up over the weekend. 

I had been playing under the assumption that only the general of the army could use the "Spectral Summons" command ability. A different player told me I was mistaken, and that any hero can use that ability since it never mentions it has to be used by the general. I did some digging and couldn't find any evidence in the books that it had to be the general. 

So, can any hero use Spectral Summons or just your general? And where is that information located?

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Hey everyone, I have a quick question that came up over the weekend. 

I had been playing under the assumption that only the general of the army could use the "Spectral Summons" command ability. A different player told me I was mistaken, and that any hero can use that ability since it never mentions it has to be used by the general. I did some digging and couldn't find any evidence in the books that it had to be the general. 

So, can any hero use Spectral Summons or just your general? And where is that information located?

Thanks!

The rules for spectral summons state that you remove a unit from the battlefield and set it up wholly within 12 of your general.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Souleater said:

Thanks for the replies. 

I might haunt eBay for a bit to see if I can grab a few heroes, or wait and see if this magazine will provide what I need.

In any case, I will grab a copy of the Court as a foundation.

Thanks again

I buy the 40k version and you get a ridiculous amount over the course of the subscription... heroes, characters, units, scenery, paints... all sorts. 

Imagine it will be the same for aos. You'll get everything from the Soul Wars box for a start, I imagine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Via the Facebook Nighthaunt Age of Sigmar, it looks like next month's White Dwarf will indeed feature Nighthaunt as there's a photo of some Nighthaunt. What supplemental information/rules is usually in White Dwarf? I haven't bought a magazine in over a decade.

Could be them promoting the Mortal Realms mag?

5 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Via the Facebook Nighthaunt Age of Sigmar, it looks like next month's White Dwarf will indeed feature Nighthaunt as there's a photo of some Nighthaunt. What supplemental information/rules is usually in White Dwarf? I haven't bought a magazine in over a decade.

Usually it’s a few new battalions and maybe a new named hero.

New battalions and possibly a new hero? Sounds like it's time to wishlist!

I doubt it will happen, but my hope for the hero would just be re-releasing the limited edition Guardian of Souls and having a warscroll for the mortality glass be legal in matched play. It's a better model and would add to the army.

As for battalions, there's a lot of great options. Just some quick thoughts:

One with Reikenor, a Cairn Wraith, and Grimghast Reapers that changes "Reap Like Corn" to re-roll hits against all opponents.

One that takes a hero and a unit and gives the ability from Cities of Sigmar and Necromancers that would allow the wound directed at the character to be allocated to a model from the unit instead.

Anything that would include Lady Olynder.

A different battalion for Myrmourns, Harridans, and Tomb Banshees since so much is immune to battleshock these days.

What I fear is that the battalions will be for Legion of Grief and not Nighthaunt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

It honestly wouldnt take too much to really help us out

I agree 100 %. Let us hope...

Just played with Legion of Blood in a two-day (narrative, but still...) campaign @ WH_world: 5-0 instead of the usual 2-3 / 3-2 I get with our beloved NHs... throwing  summonable units in the throng and getting them back 1 CP later is too much of gap between NHs and any of the Legions... I, personally, am praying for gravesites. 

And no, I don't think we already have that - in the form of Legion of Grief...

3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I still hold out hope for the Bladegheist Hero 😁

Or something that utelizes Stalkers.

Such a missed opportunity in GHB19; if stalkers were cheap I would plug a few units in and let them bounce around and run interference ala night goblin fanatics

Yeah, Stalkers are really unfortunate. I run two units of four in the Death Stalkers battalion. I typically just end up using them as short term objective grabbers or screens. They really need a warscroll re-write... I don't even think a battalion would help them. 

I don't know if that would save Stalkers, they hit like snails and don't have the durability of the rest of the codex. They're outperformed by Chainrasps damage-wise, and not very resilient neither. They need something that brings out the theme of the cursed trackers, like being able to advance and charge, rerolling wounds against wounded units, bonus against monsters, -2 Rend on a turn in which they charged or something. Maybe just +2" to their move could help. Right now they're just worse version of every unit in the book. Which is a shame since every NH player owns at least a dozen given they're in every box. I didn't even assemble mine yet because I understood early on how useless they are.

I agree. It's just that I wish for more flavour in the battletome, when I see all the recent releases or when I'm playing against Fyreslayers their Warscrolls are just way more fun than ours. There's a lot of similar abilities between units, like Bladegheists and Stalkers both can retreat and charge and have a form of bonus when doing so, all the scythe units rerolling hits againsts big units and so forth. An ideally balanced battletome should make us chose between equally useful units, considering their uses in certain circonstances. Right now I don't see myself building a list around Stalkers.

• Like 1

So I wrote the following 2000 pts list following the Emperor Executioner from Sauriv, as well as a Shroudguard for sturdier Bladegheists:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Midnight Tome - Spirit Drain
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (220)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Lord Executioner (80)
- Artefact: Headsman's Judgement
Knight of Shrouds (100)
- Artefact: Balefire Blade

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Units
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)
Shroudguard (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Extra Command Point (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

The list is VERY light on wounds, but relies essentially on a blitzkrieg deep-strike attack from multiple sources. I really need the CPs so the 4CP aren't too much. I have Reikenor casting Cogs T1 (or whenever I drop the bomb), and dispel it as soon as my charges are done with my Banshees to boost them up a notch.

The Spirit Hosts should survive quite well with Olynder + Dreadblade resurrecting them. The Executioner goes on Monster/Hero slaying duty and can reliably deal around 9 MWs/round as long as I debuff the target with Olynder + use 1 CP from the KoS, 2 if Olynder missed. If the target Hero tries to counterattack the Executioner he'll have -2 to Hit from the Batallion and Olynder's spell, and the 5+ FNP against MWs to boot. To help dealing with big models I gave the Midnight Tome with Spirit Drain to my Dreadblade as he can sneak up and use it on a 10+W unit to soften it up or finish it.

I gave the Balefire Blade to my KoS as I had one artifact left, it's this one or the Pendant for +3" move, hard to decide. Could be useful to have the pendant on the KoS if he starts with his Bladegheists around to give them 11" move.

Thoughts on it folks ?

40 minutes ago, Aaranis said:

So I wrote the following 2000 pts list following the Emperor Executioner from Sauriv, as well as a Shroudguard for sturdier Bladegheists:

Hide contents

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (220)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Lord Executioner (80)
- Artefact: Headsman's Judgement
Knight of Shrouds (100)
- Artefact: Balefire Blade

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Units
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)
Shroudguard (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Extra Command Point (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

The list is VERY light on wounds, but relies essentially on a blitzkrieg deep-strike attack from multiple sources. I really need the CPs so the 4CP aren't too much. I have Reikenor casting Cogs T1 (or whenever I drop the bomb), and dispel it as soon as my charges are done with my Banshees to boost them up a notch.

The Spirit Hosts should survive quite well with Olynder + Dreadblade resurrecting them. The Executioner goes on Monster/Hero slaying duty and can reliably deal around 9 MWs/round as long as I debuff the target with Olynder + use 1 CP from the KoS, 2 if Olynder missed. If the target Hero tries to counterattack the Executioner he'll have -2 to Hit from the Batallion and Olynder's spell, and the 5+ FNP against MWs to boot. To help dealing with big models I gave the Midnight Tome with Spirit Drain to my Dreadblade as he can sneak up and use it on a 10+W unit to soften it up or finish it.

I gave the Balefire Blade to my KoS as I had one artifact left, it's this one or the Pendant for +3" move, hard to decide. Could be useful to have the pendant on the KoS if he starts with his Bladegheists around to give them 11" move.

Thoughts on it folks ?

Hi again, fun to see your take on judgment LE. 😁

Mourngul wasn't that impressive, was ok but not much more. 

Some thoughts on stuff regarding your list. 

You are only allowed to buy one extra cp (this came with ghb19) . 

And you seems to have 6 drops, if i counted it right, which is ok and you could actually go first some times. in total you have 11 units this means that you can only fit the LE, KoS and 3xSH underground. This could be a little limiting because it can be nice to hide a unit for objective grab which is not part pf your combo. 

It also becomes important in which order you drop things if you want to keep your drops down. That you have to drop execution horde last or second to last, to have enough space available underground. 

But it will be interesting to hear how it goes when you play it 😁

2 hours ago, Aaranis said:

Thoughts on it folks ?

What about investing those 100 pts you have currently allocated to extra CPs (as @Sauriv correctly pointed out, you can only buy one now anyway, and you have extra 2 CPs from your 2 battalions in any case) into a KoS (on foot)? Having the Banshees hitting on 3+ might be a rather punchy trick...

2 hours ago, Aaranis said:

Probably not the best choice for a Dreadblade general... I'd go 100% with the Gryph-feather charm instead.

Other than that, yes, it's very low on wounds indeed... you have a decent anvil (SHs) and a solid hammer (Revenants, Banshees if you have them hitting on 3+), yes.  Not so many bodies to camp the objectives, though, and - crucially - zero screens as well, everything you have is stuff you definitely don't want to sacrifice. Khorne, Skavens, Deepkin, Orks, BCRaiders... they'll munch whatever you throw at them, including your SHs as you only have 3 in each unit. SHs are uber-tough in units of 9, but a unit of 3 is "just" 9 wounds on a 4+ etheral plus the 6+ ward save... very, very dead. Finally: Reikenor is there for the cogs only, but the whole investment is 170+80 pts... that plus the extra CPs is 20 Reapers - in fact, where are the Reapers?! ;) 

50 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

But it will be interesting to hear how it goes when you play it 😁

Yes indeed!