AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

ill probably let reikenor do my heavy spell casting, im not a fan of any of the endless spells nighthaunt have except the reaper but thats only good vs units (with 4+ or better armour) bunched up.

and ill probably give him shademist or soul cage. he wont eat up a relic slot and he can be used in a shroud guard battalion which makes bladegheists so much more tougher.

My GoS will be most likely on regen duty as regaining models is always good.

Can work obviously, but looking over the Battle Tome the thing that stands out to me is not our ability to regain wounds.  It is not our ability shrug damage.  It is not our Mortal Wound abilities.  Of all the features we have that sets us apart from the rest of death, it is our overwhelming speed.  Our good infantry move 8" naturally.  We have the Pendant of the Fell Wind still, which ups that to 11" movements to our more elite infantry, and blazing speed to our Hexwraiths.

While the GoS and his lantern is outstanding as well, he is one model with one lantern and our units can only get hit by him once a turn.  So yes, he can revive 2d6+3 chainrasps a turn, but he can also get killed in one fell swoop.

I have 60 Chainrasps right now, and I think I am going to use them in a Legion of Nagash list instead.  LoN has far better revival abilities than Nighthaunt, including the ability to summon up an entire new horde of Chainrasps if they are somehow killed even with the grave sites and deathly invocations AND Guardian of Souls used in LoN.

I would suggest you consider your ideas inside the confines of LoN if you are looking to build a regenerating horde of chainrasps.

2 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Can work obviously, but looking over the Battle Tome the thing that stands out to me is not our ability to regain wounds.  It is not our ability shrug damage.  It is not our Mortal Wound abilities.  Of all the features we have that sets us apart from the rest of death, it is our overwhelming speed.  Our good infantry move 8" naturally.  We have the Pendant of the Fell Wind still, which ups that to 11" movements to our more elite infantry, and blazing speed to our Hexwraiths.

While the GoS and his lantern is outstanding as well, he is one model with one lantern and our units can only get hit by him once a turn.  So yes, he can revive 2d6+3 chainrasps a turn, but he can also get killed in one fell swoop.

I have 60 Chainrasps right now, and I think I am going to use them in a Legion of Nagash list instead.  LoN has far better revival abilities than Nighthaunt, including the ability to summon up an entire new horde of Chainrasps if they are somehow killed even with the grave sites and deathly invocations AND Guardian of Souls used in LoN.

I would suggest you consider your ideas inside the confines of LoN if you are looking to build a regenerating horde of chainrasps.

if your going pure NH that is a good amount of regen. And the tables at my FLGS have really good line blocking so it wont be hard to hide him. its only 460pts (2 of the 3 units from the chainguard so 80pts) that is sat guarding an objective. +1 to cast is all well and good but what other spell are you gonna use on him?

LoN may have more healing but this still has a place in NH who dont have amazing attrition values, and even then if the enemy doesnt have a lot of sniping tools he can still heal d6+3 to grimgasts/bladegheists/myrmourns. That flexibility is so key to who wins combat, who holds and objective and how much board space you can cut off. 

I usually play ironjaws, if i coud regain 1-3 brutes a turn over a +1 to cast id go for the healing. And whilst the other lantern is good with the one off reroll to hit in a 12" bubble so many units already get rerolls (grimghasts, bladegheists, being near a spirit torment/chaingasts).

And also chainrasps dont hit like wet fish, with the right buffs they can be like witch elves but more survivable. Yes the witches could get mind razor off, but we can also get grief stricken or soul cage off.

If a gaunt summoner can reliably nuke half a unit of chainrasps a turn, id want a way to get them back instead of being useless. The list of uses goes on. :);) 

Thinking we might want pendant of fell wind and some speedy chunky units plunging in to tie up potential threats to our regenerators (GoS, Torments, MoG, etc) maybe the mKoS and a vanguard spear of blade/grim ghosts to take the center while myrmourn/LE/Chainghasts assasinate their support heroes.

Seems we will be quite heavily dependant on our own support models to stay in the fight. That 4+ ethereal is nice but wont hold up forever.

I was also hoping bladegeists would stand out more, but they seem to be just grimghasts with glaivewraith ability? Whats the point of taking glaivewraiths vs bladegheists?

Edited by Neck-Romantic

1 minute ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Thinking we might want pendant of fell wind and some speedy chunky units plunging in to tie up potential threats to our regenerators (GoS, Torments, MoG, etc) maybe the mKoS and a vanguard spear of blade/grim ghosts to take the center while myrmourn/LE/Chainghasts assasinate their support heroes.

Seems we will be quite heavily dependant on our own support models to stay in the fight. That 4+ ethereal is nice but wont hold up forever

Yea that pendant is so good! but luckily our battalions arent as expensive so we can still get a couple of relics and CPs. Our deepstrike mechanic could offset the risk off loosing some characters early on, but the negative is you loose out on your hero phase for those heros placed in the underworld the turn they come down.

Itll be good to finally get to play test them when all there stuff is out, ill most likely start next weekend when i get my grubby mits on the bladegheists.

17 minutes ago, Nevar said:

I Love the ability to rum nighthaunt in LoN and play the real attrition game. So I will probably bit the modell i want from nighthaunt, probably a cavalry list and a chainrasp list!

And Them build a separate LoN list with mostly if not all nighthaunt. Kinda depends since LoN have some really Good units and characters!

I think nagash is really expensive, so was thinking of running Arkhan instead. Night rum nagash just because he is a ****** bad ass, but I Kinda like having more units. Would Arkhan work as well as Nagash you think?

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

if your going pure NH that is a good amount of regen.

And this is my point.  I think the Guardian of Souls is awesome all around.  One of the best new Death models all together.

If I was going to play attrition Death though, my point is I would use a Legion instead.  Reason being I can still bring a GoS, Necromancers, Chainrasps, etc.  Dance Macabre on a horde of buffed up Chainrasps would be disgusting.  You can even use a Spirit Torment in LoN and ally in Chainghasts if you wanted.  Add in Grave Sites and you can have 2d3 minimum from grave sites in the middle around the main hordes, plus d3 more guys back for all of your death wizards, plus access to Nagash's spells including Dance Macabre, PLUS d6 from the Guardian of souls.  Potentially you could be returning 7d3+d6 Chainrasps a turn with 1 Spirit Torment, 1 Guardian of Souls, 4 various Death Mages, and 2 Grave Sites.

Better yet, if somehow that horde of Chainrasps get killed... you can summon it back at a grave site and repeat.

Having your idea is outstanding in Nighthaunt, I just think not leveraging the actual Nighthaunt allegiance abilities when you can already use the units in LoN isn't getting the full bang for your buck so to speak.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Yea that pendant is so good! but luckily our battalions arent as expensive so we can still get a couple of relics and CPs. Our deepstrike mechanic could offset the risk off loosing some characters early on, but the negative is you loose out on your hero phase for those heros placed in the underworld the turn they come down.

Itll be good to finally get to play test them when all there stuff is out, ill most likely start next weekend when i get my grubby mits on the bladegheists.

How do you get bladegheists for next weekend? They Arent even available for pre-purchase from what I can tell...

Edited by Nuradin

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

I Love the ability to rum nighthaunt in LoN and play the real attrition game. So I will probably bit the modell i want from nighthaunt, probably a cavalry list and a chainrasp list!

And Them build a separate LoN list with mostly if not all nighthaunt. Kinda depends since LoN have some really Good units and characters!

I think nagash is really expensive, so was thinking of running Arkhan instead. Night rum nagash just because he is a ****** bad ass, but I Kinda like having more units. Would Arkhan work as well as Nagash you think?

Arkhan is ???? ;)  abit fragile but does alot of work! ive not used nagash alot but he never fails to disappoint. 

7 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I was also hoping bladegeists would stand out more, but they seem to be just grimghasts with glaivewraith ability? Whats the point of taking glaivewraiths vs bladegheists?

Bladegheists are outstanding.   They are like Glaivewraiths and Grimghasts in one unit, plus they get benefits from charging.  The ability to cut apart enemy units, then fallback and charge again makes them extremely good.  One of the Battalions also give the Bladegeists a 5++ instead of the 6++ and rerolling all attack rolls.  Plus they move 8" naturally.  These guys are terrifyingly good if they roll 10+ to charge also, AND since they can full back and charge, there is no reason they shouldn't be rolling charge rolls every charge phase, letting you fish for extra combat phases every time.  Golden man... golden.

• Like 1

Just now, Neck-Romantic said:

Im kinda torn between bladegeists and grimghasts. Seems like one is for anti horde and one is for hit and run board penetration. 

My poor wallet..

i must of thought they were on preorder.... saved my wallet this week haha! :D 

you can make bladegheists anti horde but it requires work. they get +1 attack when they charge so they are already 1 up from the grimghasts and have a 3+ to hit vs their 4+. The grimghasts have their 2" reach but with fly you can pile through enemy models so should be easier to get most of the bladeghesists in.

They are more expensive but i think its worth it for the retreat and charge ability alone. And im a fan of the shroud guard battalion, i would love to do the death stalkers with the grimghasts but i dont really want glaivewraiths. Im really not convinced by there output, for 30pts more and an extra wound they move quicker hit harder and get better buffs.

What Im kinda worried about is ending up with a bunch of models I wont end up using. We are already getting awkward numbers of troops from the soul wars box, the  the staggered release with ghasts first the  geists to follow...

The Soul Wars box gives you three of the best heroes.

It also gives you 20 Chainrasps.

The Lord Executioner, Grimghasts, and Glaivewraiths are mostly useless in the numbers they gave us.  I like the Grimghasts but for some reason they felt like giving us... 4.

I am not ready to completely write off the Glaivewraiths, as they are cheaper and able to do the charge fishing that Bladegheists can do.  Charging every turn heavily increases your chances for free combat phases by rolling a 10+.  Glaivewraiths don't have rend, but they throw a bunch of attacks and reroll when on the charge.  They have similar damage output to units like Pheonix guard, and you can definately drown enemies in dozens of rendless wounds.

What Im kinda worried about is ending up with a bunch of models I wont end up using. We are already getting awkward numbers of troops from the soul wars box, then the staggered release with ghasts first then  geists to follow...

i skipped the soul wars box, im gonna get the heroes separately, same with the the chainrasps. I preordered the spirit torment and chaingast box as i really like that ST model. And the rest i will just buy once they release the actual kits for. 

2 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

What Im kinda worried about is ending up with a bunch of models I wont end up using. We are already getting awkward numbers of troops from the soul wars box, then the staggered release with ghasts first then  geists to follow...

From what I can Read here bladegheists seems better, so I Will hold off om buying reapers.. and wait and see what bladegheists Cost and Read the battletome myself! And Them make the decision what to get. For now I think I Will just preorder chaingast and olynder along with the battletome.

I am not in a rush to get all the models.

2 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

From what I can Read here bladegheists seems better, so I Will hold off om buying reapers.. and wait and see what bladegheists Cost and Read the battletome myself! And Them make the decision what to get. For now I think I Will just preorder chaingast and olynder along with the battletome.

Keep in mind, Bladegheists are just better, but they are also more expensive and they are not Battle Line like Grimghasts.  I think I will field both, Grims to fill battleline, and Blades as actual assault units.

6 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

well grimghasts are still battleline so they have a use if you dont want to go crazy with chainrasps. So either them 2 options or spirit hosts. And the pts cost of the bladegheists is pretty darn good! 10 of them are only a smidge more expense than 10 grimghasts (lets say its below 50pts, and thats well worth the 3+ to hit, +1 attack and retreat and charge).

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

1 minute ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Already have 12 Hosts which I will surround Olynder as she progresses up the field.

Cancelled grim preorder to hold out for blades. Plus they will gel well thematicaly with the mKoS too

and always find room for a dreadblade harrow, his self teleport ability is just the icing on the cake, he will be to snagging objectives and his model looks ace!

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

and always find room for a dreadblade harrow, his self teleport ability is just the icing on the cake, he will be to snagging objectives and his model looks ace!

I already own 15 Hexwraiths, and mKoS... Dreadblade Harrows are icing on that cavalry cake.  I need five more Hexwraiths and a Black Coach and I know what Battalion I will be running.

Have the mKoS with a Pendant in that formation... damn they will be blazing fast.

• Thanks 1

I really dont know what battleline go Go with!

Can someone be kind a give a Quick review of THE possibilites I have. Pros and cons of Them all.

I am on my phone. If i was om my computer i would tryck it myself and Them ask for.your thoughts.

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

I already own 15 Hexwraiths, and mKoS... Dreadblade Harrows are icing on that cavalry cake.  I need five more Hexwraiths and a Black Coach and I know what Battalion I will be running.

Have the mKoS with a Pendant in that formation... damn they will be blazing fast.

haha you cheeky little ghost ;) i would use hexwraiths if they had the same aesthetic as dreadblades... :( 

i have 290pts left in my list so i dunno if i should add a black coach or some other units :( 

Just now, Nuradin said:

I really dont know what battleline go Go with!

Can someone be kind a give a Quick review of THE possibilites I have. Pros and cons of Them all.

I am on my phone. If i was om my computer i would tryck it myself and Them ask for.your thoughts.

Chainrasp Horde is a blobby horde unit.  Think of them as the Nighthaunt equivalents of Skeletons.  They rely on buffs to do any damage.

Grimghast Reapers is also pretty blobby horde unit but more elite.  You can imagine them as Nighthaunt's Grave Guard, less reliant on buffs but still like them.

Spirit Hosts are multi-wound high attack models that rely mostly on MWs to do damage.  Not easy to revive, but can also benefit from buffs and are hard to lose models at once to begin with.

Hexwraiths... cavalry battleline that love Mortal Wounds... Cavalry battleline...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

haha you cheeky little ghost ;) i would use hexwraiths if they had the same aesthetic as dreadblades... :( 

I got a lot of free Grimghasts from the Soul Wars since everyone was rejecting them.  I have like 16 of them, that is just enough to glue them onto Hexwraith horses to make 'new' Hexwraiths.

Yee.