AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Yeah I can see that being useful but  30 32mm bases can be unwieldy.  :) 

Blegh, no kidding! I was happy with them at 20, but it's only 100 points to bump them to 30 and I feel like that's better than some of the other options I was considering:

-Another 10 Chainrasps
-Another 5 Bladegheists
-More endless spells (Purple Sun, Gravetide, Shackles)

I could be way off though!

On 7/19/2019 at 11:27 PM, Neck-Romantic said:

Anyone else wondering if the Myrmourn warband may have been postponed in order to apply it to Warcry instead?

No because they are for the smaller/easier Version of underworlds

And No they aren't part of wacry cause GW tells which models in the different non chaos bands

The site has been pretty quiet the last few weeks; GHB19 wasnt quite the upsurge we were hoping for.

With Olynder and some of our troops going down in price slightly we can squeeze 1 more small unit, hero, or endless spell in; Im going to try Reikenor bowling the Purple Sun down folks' backfield

8 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

The site has been pretty quiet the last few weeks; GHB19 wasnt quite the upsurge we were hoping for.

With Olynder and some of our troops going down in price slightly we can squeeze 1 more small unit, hero, or endless spell in; Im going to try Reikenor bowling the Purple Sun down folks' backfield

Slotted the Purple Sun into my 1k list over the weekend. It was an absolute blast. Probably did more damage to me than the enemy mind - still won the game though 👍

31 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Think reikenor and the sun could potentially be a good counter to Big Bads; since it automatically does 2d6 mw's

No it's not automatically doing 2d6. I thought so at first but it's not the case. 

Screenshot_20190726_110443.jpg

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Think reikenor and the sun could potentially be a good counter to Big Bads; since it automatically does 2d6 mw's

Yep, ran Reikenor as well to cast it. One thing I noticed, the size of the thing, it dominated the centre of the table and made my opponenet fearful to get close to it. Really helped with board control, which is how I won in the end. 

I really like the models and playstyle of nighthaunt and am considering starting an army. However, I currently play sylvaneth, mostly as a horde of dryads and revenants, with 90ish models on the field

Is it possible to play a reasonably competitive nighthaunt army without hordes? For example, I was thinking of allying in some Bloodknights and/or morghasts

I know legions of nagash has the ability to use most of the same models, but also allows for some harder hitters (e.g. morghasts, blood knights). Do you think that might be a better route? It doesn't allow for the same mobility though, which was definitely a perk for me. Another challenge is that you always want summonable units to take advantage of the gravesites and invocations of death, but they are all hordes, almost by default. 

59 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I really like the models and playstyle of nighthaunt and am considering starting an army. However, I currently play sylvaneth, mostly as a horde of dryads and revenants, with 90ish models on the field

Is it possible to play a reasonably competitive nighthaunt army without hordes? For example, I was thinking of allying in some Bloodknights and/or morghasts

I know legions of nagash has the ability to use most of the same models, but also allows for some harder hitters (e.g. morghasts, blood knights). Do you think that might be a better route? It doesn't allow for the same mobility though, which was definitely a perk for me. Another challenge is that you always want summonable units to take advantage of the gravesites and invocations of death, but they are all hordes, almost by default. 

There's some debate right now about how viable a list with the Death Riders battalion is. That's really the only way to avoid hordes as they army is designed rules and fluff wise to be hordes. You can and probably should run lots of small units, but your model count will still approach 90ish. 

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

I have a ~3000p worth of nighthaunt and i like to run alot of spirit hosts. They cost 120 for 3 (if i remember correctly) for a more elit-ish army with units of 6 spirithosts. If you support a unit of spirit hosts with a spirit torment for reroll 1 to hit you can do some mortal wounds. And if you use lightshard of a harvest moon on a guardian of souls to reroll all failed hit rolls then we are really talking mortal wounds. 

A nice thing with nighthaunt is that they are fast and easy to paint. 

Hosts and Hexes are both quite points spendy, and are still sold as the Malignant boxed set. Both perform fairly well and Hexes recently got a modest pointcost drop, but both also require some support to be more than passibly effective.

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Lets try this here

Hello guys,

started to get interested in AoS this week so I bought some tools, paint and the starter Storm Strike set. Really interested in building a Nighthaunt army but dont know how :D. Watched some videos on youtube, but didnt find any build for an army just some tips. Only thing I got from that was that the armies can be summoned :). So do you guys have any tips on how to build a decent nighthaunt army? Any advice is appreciated, because it can be really complicated when building a first army. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Please dont give me answers such as: buy the models which you like the most, buy evrything etc. I want to try this army and improve it later on as much as I can.

14 hours ago, Maridius said:

Lets try this here

Hello guys,

started to get interested in AoS this week so I bought some tools, paint and the starter Storm Strike set. Really interested in building a Nighthaunt army but dont know how :D. Watched some videos on youtube, but didnt find any build for an army just some tips. Only thing I got from that was that the armies can be summoned :). So do you guys have any tips on how to build a decent nighthaunt army? Any advice is appreciated, because it can be really complicated when building a first army. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Please dont give me answers such as: buy the models which you like the most, buy evrything etc. I want to try this army and improve it later on as much as I can.

MSU is your way ( multiple small units) 

Try to get olyndder reikanor guadian of soul and Knight of.shourd.

The endless spell cronogmatic coggs is core for.this armie.

Need bladegheist revenats for MSU.

5 of this guys do 15 attcks ay 3/3 at charge just get at.least 2 units

Buy one black coatch. Is good and needed for the Battalion that gives you free hits at 9+ instead 10+.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders

Dreadblade Harrow (90)

- General

- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 

- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)

- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (220)

- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)

- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (200)

Battleline

5 x Hexwraiths (140)

5 x Hexwraiths (140)

10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)

Units

5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)

5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)

2 x Chainghasts (70)

Behemoths

Black Coach (260)

Battalions

Deathriders (130)