AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Pompe said:

Could someone please explain how line of sight and flying works? Are you always visible even when you are behind los-blocking terrain?

No. Models that fly can simple act as those terrain isn't there when moving. They are stilled blocked by Los blocking terrain if they are behind it. 

UNLESS you are referring to the citadel wood rules which have bespoke Los rules that require you to draw a 1mm line from the nearest points on two models and if it crosses the woods then line of sight is blocked. If I am remembering correctly those rules specifically have a stipulation saying if models can fly you ignore these rules. 

On 7/9/2019 at 2:06 PM, Tropical Ghost General said:

For me personally it seems like a lot of investment in battalions, which could be better spent on more bodies.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:33 PM, relic456 said:

Yeah in general I agree, the NH battalions just feel so soft sometimes.

I honestly think double battalions may still have a place in MSU style armies.

They get you a command point. We know command points are really important for NH.

They get you an additional artefact. Aetherquartz Brooch, Pendant of the Fell Wind, Wychlight Lantern, Midnight Tome - those are all really strong artifacts IMO that really upgrade our heroes.

Command points are worth 50 pts and are important for our army. How many points would you say those artefacts are worth? I'd say at least 25 pts. So that's 75 points before you consider the special rules of the battalion or that it lowers your drops. Since many of us are into minimum sized units now, let's take a look at minimum battalions.

Shroudguard - 410/460: 2 x 5 Bladegheists, MKoES/Reikenor - 16/17 wounds... 25.7/27 pts per wound... 3 chances for WoT

Deathriders - 760: 1 Harrow, 2 x 5 Hexwraiths, 1 Black Coach - 37 wounds... 20.5 pts per wound... 4 chances for 9+ WoT

The Condemned - 660: 1 Torment, 1 x 2 Chainghasts, 2 x 20 Chainrasps - 49 wounds... 13.5 pts per wound... 4 chances for WoT

Chainguard - 580: 1 Guardian, 2 x 20 Chainrasps - 45 wounds... 12.9 pts per wound... 3 chances for WoT

Execution Horde - 540: 1 Executioner, 3 x 3 Spirit Hosts - 32 wounds... 16.9 pts per wound... 4 chances for WoT

Death Stalkers - 620: 1 Wraith, 2 x 10 Reapers, 2 x 4 Stalkers - 32 wounds... 19.4 pts per wound... 5 chances for WoT

Shrieker Host - 520: 1 Tomb Banshee, 2 x 5 Harridans, 2 x 4 Myrmourns - 22 wounds... 23.7 pts per wound... 5 chances for WoT

That's interesting. Deathriders remains the most expensive battalion, but Shroudguard is actually the worst bang for your buck for both wounds and WoT opportunities. Shrieker Host got cheaper but is still really expensive per wound. Obviously things change if you max some of the units, but it's interesting food for thought. I think there may be room for a double battalion MSU list. Or maybe I rely too much on command points and artefacts.

Edited by dmorley21
Typo
  • Like 4

I think Battalions are huge for NH. As dmorley noted Command points and NH artefacts are so good for the army. The other big thing is that it allows us to keep lower drops and still run MSU.

Take Deathriders as an example. You get 4 units placed down for 1 drop. This then allows you to put 4 in the Underworld. It's really 8 units into 1 drop. That's huge. 

I also like Deathriders for this  because it uses units that want to be on the board turn 1 (i.e Blackcoach and Harrow). Then it lets you protect your Bladegheists/MSU units in the Underworld. I think Hexwraiths are still too expensive but this battalion seems to fit what the MSU army lits are trying to do.

40 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

So does it still count towards your drops? I guess you are still deploying them, just not on the table. So it most likely follows the normal rules... opps.

Yes, deploying to the Underworlds still counts as a drop

How do people handle our deploying in the underworld rules in GHB2019 Meeting Engagements (with the Spearhead, Main and Rear deployments)?

My friends and I have house-ruled it where we count how many deployments were done in the game “so far” (not within each deployment phase). So if I have an army of 6 units, and they work out to be split evenly between Spearhead, Main and Rear, and we’re playing a battleplan that says “Start with Spearhead on the table; end of Turn 1, deploy Main; end of Turn 2, deploy Rear”, I could do something like this:

Turn 1: deploy my entire Spearhead (S1 and S2); at the end of the turn, setup my entire Main in the underground (M1 and M2)

Turn 2: in the movement phase, deepstrike with M1 and M2 as per our rules; at the end of Turn 2, setup half my Rear in the underground (so deploy R1 on the table and R2 underground)

Turn 3: in the movement phase, deepstrike with R2

The alternative rules interpretation would be to count the “every second unit” rule from within the Spear/Main/Rear only, which is super restrictive. Thoughts?

So post GHB I wanted to finally try and see if I can make Shrieker Host work. It has always been one of the battalions that interested me because so many players lean so heavily on inspiring presence. Came up with this list:

The goal is to not to overcommit to depending on my opponent having low bravery while also being able to take advantage of it if they do:

Lady Olynder - 220 - Soul Cage

Reikenor - 170 - Shademist

Guardian of Souls - 140 - Spectral Tether, Beacon of Nagashizzar

Knight of Shrouds - 100 - General, Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Pendant of the Fell Wind

Banshee - 80

10 Chainwrasp Horde - 80

10 Chainwrasp Horde - 80

20 Chainrasp Horde  - 160

10 Reapers - 160

8 Myrmourn Banshees - 140

4 Myrmourn Banshees - 70

20 Dreadscythe Harridans - 280

10 Dreadscythe Harridans - 160

Shrieker Host - 140

Total: 1980

Opinions? Feedback? Thanks in advance.

My main strat will be using the chainrasps to screen or babysit objectives while the harridans act as a hammer. The KoS +1 to hit makes them wonderfully strong. The Reapers and the Banshee will show up in the enemy backline and just be a nuisance while the Myrmourns will help lock down any scary magic. If my opponent has high bravery I'm not too commited to winning in the battleshock phase but against low bravery stuff I will be beastly.

Ok so my friend and I have reached a trade agreement and I'm excited to soon by playing Nighthaunt! I've come up with a list that I believe I can run two ways as they both use the models.

List 1:
Battalions

The Condemned
Shroudguard

Leaders

Knight of Shrouds on Steed (General)
Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Cloak of the Waxing Moon

Lady Orlynder
Spirit Drain

Spirit Torment
Pendant of the Fell Wind

Guardian of Souls
Wychlight Lantern
Shademist

Battleline

Chainrasp Horde x20

Chainrasp Horde x20

Spirit Host x3

Other:

The Black Coach

Bladegeist Revenants x10

Bladegeist Revenants x10

Chainghasts x2

Endless Spells

Malevolent Maelstrom

List 2:
Leaders

Knight of Shrouds on Steed (General)
Ruler of the Spirit Hosts

Lady Orlynder
Spirit Drain

Kurdross Valentain

Spirit Torment
Pendant of the Fell Wind

Guardian of Souls
Shademist

Battleline

Chainrasp Horde x10

Chainrasp Horde x10

Chainrasp Horde x10

Hexwraiths x5

Hexwraiths x5

Other:

The Black Coach

Bladegeist Revenants x5

Bladegeist Revenants x5

Bladegeist Revenants x5

Chainghasts x2

Endless Spells

Chronochromantic Cogs

List 1 uses Battalions to buff up the Chainrasps and Bladegeists even more, list 2 uses is MSU with speed due to Cogs and Pendant. I'm also getting a Mourghoul as part of the trade, so I can also use that in List 2 instead of the 2 Hexwraith units. What do you all think of either list?

Edited by Reezark_SP

On 7/12/2019 at 8:52 PM, Warbossironteef said:

Unless you go 2 Battalions MSU style is very heavy drops. 

I am on average running a 14-15 drops list. I find that the battalions are great at getting a lower drop count, but with the ability to deploy lots off the board and then appear basically anywhere, the need to get first turn isn't that huge a thing to aim for. Also none of our battalions are particularly good at offering decent advantages (certainly not the ones that are worth taking anyway), as they all have a serious flaw to them, such as shroudguard not giving the hero a 5+ shrug save as well as the blades, or deathriders relying on weak units to function. If spirit hosts were cheaper (100pts) then the execution horde would be the must take battalion, as it gets all your battleline in a single drop, while being super cheap. 

The main issue that I see currently with taking battalions in NH is that we don't have any decent/reliable way to interact with fight first/fight last elements of the activation wars. Yes we have Soul Cage, but we need a decent caster to be within 12" at the start of the hero phase in order to get it to go off. A lot of NH spells could really do with being increased to 18" to make them usable. So having no way to take part in the activation wars means that you can easily spend 200-300 points on battalion costs, which could just be more bodies to put on the board. And being MSUs means your opponent has to split focus/attacks in order to take you on. 

Having played against Slaanesh recently, and suffering the effects of Locusts every time was not a nice experience. And yet there is nothing that we can really do about it at the moment. Death in general has no way to interact with the activation wars (minus gristlegore in FEC). It's one of those situations that you have to just grin and bear it, until GW decide to let everyone join in on the activation wars, rather than just the newer battletomes.

The other thing that is good with running MSU lists is the changes to the missions in GHB19 have made getting 1st turn not as essential as before, so going 2nd in the first battle round is no longer an cause of auto losing certain scenarios. 

The downside of not taking battalions is the lack of artefacts, we have good artefacts that make our mediocre heroes become relatively decent heroes, the issue is that we have to rely on artefacts in the first place for our heroes to be able to find any worth in the current meta, but that's an issue with the book rather than the state of the game.

• Like 1

So an interesting chat on Facehammer podcast about bedsheets and LoG. Skip to:- 1hr 23mins 45secs

http://facehammer.co.uk/2019/07/13/episode-75-aos-6-nations-2019-and-round-table/

For those not aware, Facehammer is a UK based AoS podcast which tends to cover most aspects of the hobby, but also does some really in-depth battletome reviews. They often contradict themselves in episodes, where they moan about how broken something is in a certain faction and then boast about how much fun it was using an equally broken list from another faction. But generally it's worth a listen, but it's not as good as Justsayin podcast imo for giving a decent coverage of the competitive meta.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, Tropical Ghost General said:

I am on average running a 14-15 drops list. I find that the battalions are great at getting a lower drop count, but with the ability to deploy lots off the board and then appear basically anywhere, the need to get first turn isn't that huge a thing to aim for. Also none of our battalions are particularly good at offering decent advantages (certainly not the ones that are worth taking anyway), as they all have a serious flaw to them, such as shroudguard not giving the hero a 5+ shrug save as well as the blades, or deathriders relying on weak units to function. If spirit hosts were cheaper (100pts) then the execution horde would be the must take battalion, as it gets all your battleline in a single drop, while being super cheap. 

The main issue that I see currently with taking battalions in NH is that we don't have any decent/reliable way to interact with fight first/fight last elements of the activation wars. Yes we have Soul Cage, but we need a decent caster to be within 12" at the start of the hero phase in order to get it to go off. A lot of NH spells could really do with being increased to 18" to make them usable. So having no way to take part in the activation wars means that you can easily spend 200-300 points on battalion costs, which could just be more bodies to put on the board. And being MSUs means your opponent has to split focus/attacks in order to take you on. 

Having played against Slaanesh recently, and suffering the effects of Locusts every time was not a nice experience. And yet there is nothing that we can really do about it at the moment. Death in general has no way to interact with the activation wars (minus gristlegore in FEC). It's one of those situations that you have to just grin and bear it, until GW decide to let everyone join in on the activation wars, rather than just the newer battletomes.

The other thing that is good with running MSU lists is the changes to the missions in GHB19 have made getting 1st turn not as essential as before, so going 2nd in the first battle round is no longer an cause of auto losing certain scenarios. 

The downside of not taking battalions is the lack of artefacts, we have good artefacts that make our mediocre heroes become relatively decent heroes, the issue is that we have to rely on artefacts in the first place for our heroes to be able to find any worth in the current meta, but that's an issue with the book rather than the state of the game.

Thanks for the insight. I think I will still try the Deathriders battalion. Although Hexwraiths are still overcosted, and for some reason don't have Reaped Like Corn, I think it's a solid battalion. It uses units that don't mind being on the board turn 1 and gets you 2 battleline and an extra artefact. Shroudguard can be super cheap which is nice, but if you go MSU the +5 shrug on the 5 man unit isn't worth much.

A BC can fish for 9inch charges and it can put out some hurt in the charge phase. The Hexwraiths really need reroll to hits support to do anything other than their fly over mortals, but they cant hunt down some wizards and weaker units.

Hey hey,

i have a game coming up against some Idoneth  deepkin.  I have watched him play...and he is absolutely in love with his eels and their ability to retreat and charge in the same turn and abusing his biovoltaic blast/shield shenanigans.  He’s running 9 eels, 1 shark and a msu of Thralls,  supported by a King, tidecaster and an Archmage.  We are playing at 1250 so this was my thought.

Lady Olynder (General)

soul cage

Spirit of Torment

Guardian of Souls

wychlight lantern

soul cage

3 x 3  spirit hosts

2x 20 chainrasps

purple sun of Shyish

soul snare shackles

My thought is that I can lock his eels down  with the Soul cage and somewhat mitigate his turn 3 everything attacks before I do BS.  The purple sun is filling in  until I get can get a horrorghast to help lower his bravery even further and trigger some battleshock fails and allow Lady to deal out some Mortal Wounds.  I’m kind of bummed that he picked up the archmage due to the 18” MW save bubble....but it’s still more forgiving then going against his DoK army.  I unfortunately don’t have any bladegheists right now...the only subs I could make would be stalkers, reapers the Mourngul or the black coach.

Any thoughts tips or tricks?

@Warbossironteef you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there with hexwraiths. Even though they have dropped in points they still lack any punch. They have no natural re-roll ability, do single damage with attacks, get no bonuses when charging unlike a lot of other cavalry in the game. They are a great harassment unit, in fact that is what the entire deathriders battalion is, a superb harassment group, but even the BC doesn't hit hard enough for it's points. What hexwraiths need is either extra damage on the charge or natural re-roll ability.

The BC is a great support piece and great at clearing chaff off objectives, but it's a 260pt model that is great at clearing 80pt units off objectives, but tbh honest anything is good at clearing chaff off objectives. As soon as you give it multi-wound models or units with decent saves/after saves, it fails to do any significant damage. It offers great support and imo it is in dire need of being given the hero keyword, but 🤷‍♀️.

Overall the deathriders run at optimal size to make best use of the 9+ charge and the BC healing the hexwraiths you need - 2 dreadblades, 1 BC and 2 x 10 hexwraiths, which is a 1130pt investment in creating a purely harassment unit. And now that the anniversary GoS is no longer an option, it's temporal translocation spell (which was amazing with deathriders) can't be used to make the battalion work really well. Even if you run it with a single dreadblade you are putting over 50% of your army into unit that aren't going to be able to punch back very hard and you'll then need to fit in a suitable hammer unit, wizards, objective holders and potentially some other bits all into less than 1k. 

If you were to run deathriders in it's cheapest form it's 760pts, which isn't too bad, but it's still a fair chunk of your army devoted to clearing chaff from objectives, because that's all that it will be doing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackmaniac said:

Any thoughts tips or tricks?

You will struggle to get the eels hit with soul cage. It's a 12" range in your hero phase and eels have a 14" move, so they will never need to be unnecessarily in threat range of Soul Cage.

You can lure them out by using Lady O and a spirit torment surrounded by SHs, one unit in front, one unit behind. Keep Lady O and the torment  just within 3" from both of the SHs. It will be too tempting a target not to attack, but they'll need to work through the SHs first. Aim to spread you SHs out in such a manner than when the eels pile in, they won't be able to pile in over the top. Should you be able to get this to work, the eels will more than likely slaughter the first row of SHs, but it will put them within 6" of Lady O at the start of your hero phase. You can then 'Lift the Veil' and do 'Wail of the Damned' as the eels are bravery 6, so bravery 5 due to NH allegiance ability to reduce bravery by 1, both attacks should do a fair amount of mortal wounds to them. Then cast Soul Cage and ,No Rest for the wicked'

So after the mortals, charge the second unit of SHs into combat with the eels, but leave Lady O where she is if Soul Cage didn't go off and you don;t get a 10+ with the SH charge. She can hit in combat, but you'll need to keep her alive is possible to cause the eels issues with battleshock later on. Use a CP to re-roll the charge to fish for the 10+ with the 2nd unit of charging SHs. The torment will give re-rolls of 1s to both the 1st unit that get slaughtered and the 2nd unit that charges, so fish for those 6s for the mortals. The eels will hit back but be at -1 to hit. They maybe able to pile in to get into range of Lady O as well, but try to avoid it if possible.

If all goes to plan you should do between 5-15 mortal wounds and remove a a good chunk of the unit. When it comes to battleshock, they will be bravery 5, so even 2 dead eels will mean that they lose models on a 4+. This is where Lady O staying alive helps, as she forces units to add another model to the total that flees with her Mortarch of Grief ability.

The shark and the thralls you shouldn't need to worry about, but I'd be tempted to swap out 20 rasps for 10 grims, as they get the re-rolls against units of 5 or more, so will mince through the MSUs of thralls. 

I'm not sure if that advice will be of any use or not, but remember above all else, play for the objectives rather than wiping out your opponent, eels will be able to reach you wherever you are on the board and kill whatever they touch and avoid fighting on turn 3 wherever possible. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

2 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Warbossironteef you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there with hexwraiths. Even though they have dropped in points they still lack any punch. They have no natural re-roll ability, do single damage with attacks, get no bonuses when charging unlike a lot of other cavalry in the game. They are a great harassment unit, in fact that is what the entire deathriders battalion is, a superb harassment group, but even the BC doesn't hit hard enough for it's points. What hexwraiths need is either extra damage on the charge or natural re-roll ability.

The BC is a great support piece and great at clearing chaff off objectives, but it's a 260pt model that is great at clearing 80pt units off objectives, but tbh honest anything is good at clearing chaff off objectives. As soon as you give it multi-wound models or units with decent saves/after saves, it fails to do any significant damage. It offers great support and imo it is in dire need of being given the hero keyword, but 🤷‍♀️.

Overall the deathriders run at optimal size to make best use of the 9+ charge and the BC healing the hexwraiths you need - 2 dreadblades, 1 BC and 2 x 10 hexwraiths, which is a 1130pt investment in creating a purely harassment unit. And now that the anniversary GoS is no longer an option, it's temporal translocation spell (which was amazing with deathriders) can't be used to make the battalion work really well. Even if you run it with a single dreadblade you are putting over 50% of your army into unit that aren't going to be able to punch back very hard and you'll then need to fit in a suitable hammer unit, wizards, objective holders and potentially some other bits all into less than 1k. 

If you were to run deathriders in it's cheapest form it's 760pts, which isn't too bad, but it's still a fair chunk of your army devoted to clearing chaff from objectives, because that's all that it will be doing.

Yeah I think that the BC can also be a decent tarpit and distraction carnifex. Overall it may be like 10-20 points overcosted but it does have great movement. GW is weird with how they point movement. Some units in the game are grossly overcosted or undercosted when you take in their movement, but that being said, the BC seems good enough to fill a certain role in the army. 

I really think if the Hexwraiths had Reaped Like Corn they would be much more playable. I do think you want the extra CP and artefact in a Nighthaunt army so going MSU Deathriders isnt a terrible idea for MSU lists. Not OP but it gives you fast units on the board turn 1. 

4 minutes ago, punkycloud said:

Hi, have a choice between 2 artifacts, fell wind pennant or lantern (D6+3 heal), which should I take, speed or resilience? 

I'd go with Pennant. The D6+3 lantern is really nice when you successfully cast the spell, but at 6+ that won't be all the time whereas the pennant always works. I once brought back 9 Harridans with that lantern which was epic, but I've had it not work multiple times. 

22 hours ago, punkycloud said:

speed or resilience?

Always pendant. With so much stuff in the game that can auto-unbind spells or get hefty bonuses to casting/unbinds, our standard GoS don't get any bonuses, so it's great if it goes off, but it's not only a case of if it goes off, it's a case of if it goes off and if my opponent doesn't unbind it and if my opponent doesn't use auot-unbind abilities to stop it as well. Pendant is a constant effect aura and is great, just remember to move all the units that you want to move with the pendants aura before moving the bearer.

It's also worth noting that it stats at the start of their normal move. So if you have 2 units next to the bearer and one further away outside of the 12" bubble, you can move the first two units, then the bearer and if the bearer moves within range of the one unit that was originally out of range, they can now benefit, as it's the start of their normal move.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:14 AM, punkycloud said:

speed or resilience? 

My vote is also for the Pedant, movement is always a good thing.

I'm considering signing up for a casual tournament in August and bringing a list like this:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Knight of Shrouds (100)
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (200)
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
Spirit Torment (120)

10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)

5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
2 x Chainghasts (70)

Shroudguard (110)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

The idea is to generate as much CPs as possible to maximize charge rerolls and get WoT.  I know Deathriders would be technically a better fit, but I'm not really sold on Hexwraiths and the Black Coach and don't feel like dropping the cash on them just yet.  Any thoughts, comments, or criticisms?   It's only 3 rounds and my goal is to win at least one, since it'll be my first tournament.

2 hours ago, relic456 said:

My vote is also for the Pedant, movement is always a good thing.

I'm considering signing up for a casual tournament in August and bringing a list like this:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
Knight of Shrouds (100)
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (200)
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
Spirit Torment (120)

30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)

2 x Chainghasts (70)

Shroudguard (110)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

The idea is to generate as much CPs as possible to maximize charge rerolls and get WoT.  I know Deathriders would be technically a better fit, but I'm not really sold on Hexwraiths and the Black Coach and don't feel like dropping the cash on them just yet.  Any thoughts, comments, or criticisms?   It's only 3 rounds and my goal is to win at least one, since it'll be my first tournament.

You will need to get a lot out of the Grimghast unit. 30 Grim ghasts have a huge footprint so be aware that they are easily tagged and can be stuck into combats that you don't want to be. I think games where ou are able to move and get teh Grimghasts where they need to be, you will do well.

• Like 1

Just now, Warbossironteef said:

You will need to get a lot out of the Grimghast unit. 30 Grim ghasts have a huge footprint so be aware that they are easily tagged and can be stuck into combats that you don't want to be. I think games where ou are able to move and get teh Grimghasts where they need to be, you will do well.

Agreed, my theory was that as long as the Dreadblade never winds up within 3" of an enemy unit, he can always bail them out from a unnecessary combat.  That being said, I haven't had time to actually test that strategy so not sure how it holds up in reality.