AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

18 minutes ago, Platypus said:

Well, playing this luxury game at all is a big entitlement issue, but lets not go there and skip this whole entitlement discussion going forward. 

My personal opinion with regards to special models (I don’t own any) is that as long as tbey’re not dominating the game and thus ”required” to be competitive with that army, they should be allowed. 

That's fair and in no way am I dismissing alternate opinions. Merely stating a difference. 😊

I have started a bedsheets army and death players got to stick together! 👍🦴

• Like 1

If it was a matter of not being able to get the model for GoS with mortality glass gw has to remove the legion black coach too because the old coach model isn't buyable anymore ( for using the nighthaunt one as Legion Coach you need Agreement from your opponent and a different base)

My entire Nighthaunt army that I've been buying piecemeal for the past 4 months in escalation league revolved around Mortality Glass Chainguard + Nmare Lantern + 2 Vampire Lords forming a core of heroes that regen while supplying various offensive buffs.

At this point between Grimghasts getting kneecapped (Which I only use 30 of), Legion of Grief being a joke, and now this? I just want to sell my army. 

By all means, encourage me to continue playing my Keeper of Secrets spam and Hagg Narr DoK, GW. My playgroup thanks you, truly.

Apologies, folks. I'm absolutely livid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tbh if it was as stand alone model with special rules, then fine, but one of the battalion abilities in the battletome is affected by the warscroll spell of the anniversary model, so it kind of sucks that they've part included it in the battletome but decided to not continue the model. And in terms of exclusivity, a lot of NH players have just used the standard GoS or modified  it to use as the anniversary model, so it's not like there isn't a way for continue having the model. And if that wasn't enough to gripe about, both the standard and the anniversary GoS have options for 2 weapons, a chill blade and the maul of judgement, yet the standard GoS can only be modelled with the chill blade, whereas the anniversary GoS can be given either weapon option and either lantern option, so it makes no sense why the model is no longer being supported. 

Hi everyone!

I have roughly 3000 points worth of Deepkin that I was considering selling but one of the guys I play games with offered me to trade his Nighthaunt collection for it. Assuming his collection is about equal to mine (money wise) do you think I should make the trade? Why or why not? What does a typical competitive Nighthaunt army look like? I really like the models for Lady Olyander  and the Black Coach. Would including those 2 models in a 2K list do well?

Thanks!

BTW if you're wondering why I gave up on Deepkin its because I'm not a fan of armies that spam the same/similar units over and over again and so the fact that the eels are objectively better at everything than everything else in the army and so as much as I loved the models they're just not my style in gameplay, so they've been shelved about a year ago and I've been playing Tzeentch / Beasts of Chaos ever since.

Hi @Reezark_SP the short answer is that ghosts offer more variety but are waaaaaaay less competitive than deepkin are. 

The longer answer is that even NH will need to spam certain units to be viable, not as spammy as eels, but still you'll find that most lists are running chainrasps, grimghasts, bladegheists and a scattering of other stuff for flavour. The NH book is full of options that just get outclassed by other choices in the book, so dreadscythe harridans are now a bit cheaper than bladegheists but are still not as good a choice. Glaivewraiths also get outclassed by grimghasts, spirit hosts get outclassed by chainrasps, etc... 

The army is fun to play as long as you don't expect to be hitting the top tables. Currently the trend is to run MSU lists, so taking the minimum size units possible to maximise the opportunities to get the 10+ Wave of Terror charge going off. My spooky lists have been 14+ drops since Sept last year and I've been doing relatively well, but there are certain elements that we lack as an army. We have no guaranteed hammer unit and no guaranteed anvil unit either, once our super squishy heroes get popped, then the army will quickly fall apart. We have Soul Cage spell to help in the activation wars, but it's very situational due to it's short range and tbh you'll often find yourself getting hurt by the likes of Slaanesh and FEC and others. 

I really like playing with ghosts but they are not an easy army to play and there are a lot of bad match ups and scenarios that can lead to a negative play experience. It might be worth asking your friend why he wants to trade his ghosts for deepkin before you make the decision to swap or not.  

Edited by Tropical Ghost General

Just finished catching up on the Honest Wargamer faction reactions and July FAQ breakdown and trying to suss out where to go next with Nighthaunt.  AKA making the best of a blah situation haha. They really drilled in that FEC, Slaanesh, IDK, and Skaven will beat almost anything they face in combat, and I don't disagree.  Grimghasts get dismantled easily by -1 to hit and being forced to fight last and I don't think anything we have can really stand up to them.  Since we can't stand toe to toe in the combat phase, what strategies should we be looking at to win games?  The Nighthaunt faction reaction with Ash went over how we can lean in to MSUs, mobility, and Wave of Terror with the Deathriders battalion.  With that in mind, would a list that incorporates these aspects look something like this?  Is the strategy to "hit and run" while trying to capture objectives all over the board?  Full disclosure I haven't really gone over the new battleplans and how their changes will impact our playstyle.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
Knight of Shrouds (100)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
2 x Chainghasts (70)
Black Coach (260)
Deathriders (130)
Shroudguard (110)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

I feel like this list tries to incorporate the best of MSUs and mobility.  My issue is it just looks so flimsy on paper, but I could be wrong.  Random thoughts:

• Soul Cage is the only real way we can hang in the activation game, and even though it pales in comparison to what the other armies are bringing, the +1 cast artefact at least improves its reliability. 
  • Gravetide and Purple Sun were just tossed in to fill the points, could easily take Malevolent Malestrom or another CP.  One thing about Purple Sun and Suffocating Gravetide is they have a huge footprint and could be used more as obstacles instead of their actual effects. 
  • Another alternative would be to swap the Chainghasts and 50 points of Endless Spells to bring a Spirit Torment.  Both Chainghasts and Spirit Torment would be supporting the Bladegheists. 
  • Dreadblade Harrow hangs with the Hexwraiths with high movement, Knight of Shrouds hangs with the Bladegheists and Spirit Torment/Chainghasts (likely deployed in the underworld), Guardian of Souls hangs with the Grimghasts, Reikenor and Black Coach roam individually. 
  • Sword of Judgment on the KoS is just a cheeky thing I threw in to maybe do some damage to a GKoTG or Keeper of Secrets, but I doubt that's worth it and would be interested to here other suggestions. 
Edited by relic456

For me personally it seems like a lot of investment in battalions, which could be better spent on more bodies. Reik having Soul Cage is a must IMO. I ran Purple Sun with Reik recently and it was the MVP for the whole tournament tbh, it is super spikey (quite literally) but so are we as a faction, so it pairs quick well fishing for 6s alongside fishing for 10s 😂.

IMO I don't think the Grimghast reapers are as good in MSU lists as 5xBladegheists. 10xGrimghast melt pretty easily and are 4+ to hit.

I think the real benefit of Deathriders is that it allows you to kepp your drops low and to start units on the board that are fast. The big benefit is you get to increase your total MSU count by putting  4x5 Bladegheists in the underworld and without increasing your drops. That's how I plan on runnning my 2k list, without the shroudguard. 

Those points then free you up for Lady O or Kurdoss for another threat/magic/monster killer. 

55 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

For me personally it seems like a lot of investment in battalions, which could be better spent on more bodies.

Yeah in general I agree, the NH battalions just feel so soft sometimes. 

I think I'm learning that my personal play style is more suited for a LoN grind/attrition strategy versus how NH is developing.  The kind of NH list I would want to play would be something like:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Dreadblade Harrow (90)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Knight of Shrouds (100)
Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Spirit Torment (120)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)
2 x Chainghasts (70)
Shroudguard (110)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

But I feel that it just doesn't hold up in this meta.

20 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Snip

At this point between Grimghasts getting kneecapped (Which I only use 30 of), Legion of Grief being a joke, and now this? I just want to sell my army. 

Snip

You bought the right amount Nasrod.  Not enough to make them the only option but just enough for options.  Over investing in a very specific army/units  will always bite one on the ****  sooner or later.

30+ Grimghast Reapers (3 box sets and two boxes) is how many I own.  Unit size 30 for LoN or three ghostly units of ten bedsheets.  No regrets.

*** MOD HAT *** Please don't try and "get round" the profanity filter by using dashes in words 😉

Edited by RuneBrush

11 hours ago, Blackmaniac said:

Has anyone seen someone or somewhere selling pieces of the Forbidden Power set?  I really want the Horrorghast....but don’t see myself using the rest of the Endless Spells....and I kind of balk at paying $80 for essentially one model....am I boned?

Check ebay, people buy the box and sell the individual spells and cards, how I got spell portal and shackles

What is people's thoughts on this list:

Screenshot_20190710-113737_Dropbox.jpg.9b3585b3dcb3740b5b5b4af9124a55e2.jpg

Reapers sit behind 2 rows of rasps so can swing over the top supported by GoS and Spirit Torment to amp units movement and output. 

Bladegheists, KoS and Chainghasts stay together with 5 man unit used as speed bump. Coach does its own thing smashing into screens and none hoard units. 

Plan to hoard cp at start so can do mass teleport when opponent has advanced some / use KoS ability multiple times on bladegheists if I need to ensure that something dies. 

Hello again so I'm tinkering with the Nighthaunt army in the AoS app and I think I'm starting to  come up with a list that looks like something that I'd like to run. What do you all think?

Knight of Shrouds (mounted version) 120
General
Terrifying Entity
Headsman's Judgement

Lady Olynder 220
Spirit Drain OR Spirit Drain (haven't decided)

Reikenor the Grimhailer 170
Soul Cage

Guardian of Souls 140
Chillblade
Shademist

Spirit Torment 120

Battleline:
Chainrasp Horde x20 160

Chainrasp Horde x20 160

Grimghast Reapers x10

Other:
Black Coach 260

Bladegeist Revenants x10 180

Bladegeist Revenants x10 180

Chainghasts x2 70

Endless Spells:
Ravenak's  Gnashing Jaws 30

Suffocating Gravetide 20

Malevolent Maelstrom 10

2000 points

I suppose if the real strength of a NH army is fishing for those 10+ charges, I can take all my divide all my units by half to double the drops and Terrifying Entity can hopefully make more charge opportunities happen. Gnashing Jaws and Gravetide for the -1 Bravery debuffs which is nice especially with all the cool things that can happen based on failed Battleshock tests.  Maelstrom only because I had 10 points leftover and who knows it might come in handy.

Edited by Reezark_SP

Hey guys and gals, we just added your favorite spooky bois to AoS Reminders!

Give it a whirl!

If you haven't used AoS Reminders yet, it's basically a cheat-sheet for different phases of the game. It originally started when I kept forgetting to do things with my Seraphon army in the hero phase - since then we've added a bunch of armies. Over 5,000 people use it every month - give it a whirl!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

Terrifying Entity

Worst choice possible. It's a single d6 that needs to equal or beat opponent's bravery. It also only activates in yiur hero phase, meaning your general must already be in combat from the previous turn for it to take place. Any units bravery 8 will be auto immune to it (and that includes the -1 ti bravery from the army allegiance ability). 

Otherwise it looks like a fun list. The only changes I'd personally make (to suit my style of play) is swap Terrifying Entity for Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, and swap Jaws & Gravetide for Purple Sun, as Reik can get +3 to cast it and it's loads of fun to have on the table.