AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

4 hours ago, anorek said:

Hello everyone,

A fresh nighthaunt player (also fresh AoS player) :)

I need an explanation about Lord Executioner and Sword of Judgement - how does it work?

Does it replace his original weapon?

The rule of Sword of Judgement from malign sorcery is an additional rule for a weapon. You do the normal attacks for his weapon on the warscroll and if a hit-roll is a 6+ the special rule kicks in. 

If a hit-roll is 6+ that attack "stops" (so no need for wound or save) and the attack inflicts d6 mortal wounds to the target 

I interesting thing to note here is that it's a hit of 6+ so you can buff your dude to make it easier with execution hord and knight of shrouds (on foot) for example. 

8 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

is there a possibility to run a low model count, rather elitish NH build?

I like the NH models, but I do not want to build another spammy force after painting 60 Plaguebearers...

I have a quite elite NH army, in it i have a bunch of Spirit Hosts and Lady Olynder as my general. Her command ability returns whole models instead of "heal-ress" so i spammed units that has the highest wounds. Spirit Torment buffing Spirit Hosts are very nice. An one time use artifact you can have on a Guardian of Souls which let you reroll failed hitroll is veeery nice for Spirit Hosts

The problem that i found is that much stuff buffs each other so i tend to have most of my things in a big blob so i have a hard time controlling the board. I like groups of 6 spirit host in each unit. 

Just tried the AshleyMcEWan list post point reduction fount on TheHonestWargamer.

Did it completely untouched.

Dreadblade Harrow 

- General- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 

- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Reikenor the Grimhailer 

- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 

- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed 

- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King 

5 x Hexwraiths 

5 x Hexwraiths

10 x Chainrasp Horde 

5 x Bladegheist Revenants

5 x Bladegheist Revenants

2 x Chainghasts 

Black Coach

Deathriders 

Shroudguard

Chronomantic Cogs

I was against some Random Legion of sacrament list with arkhan, a dragonlord, 30 grimghasts 10 skeletons necromancer and 2X5 wolfs 4 morghasts on Scorched earth.

The list did pretty well.

I deployed the hexwraiths, the bladegheists, the chainghasts in the warp, gave him turn one, stole one CP. Then he steelpinioned his dragonlord and T1 charged the KOS and Olynder, killed the knight and left Olynder at1hp. wooops. He did a mistake by advancing Arkhan a little bit too much and allowing me to charge him with the black coach and by putting the ass of the coach within3" of the grimchast, engaging only a few of them and neutralising them for the whole game. i teeported a lot of things, charged most of them and making 4 waves of terror. At the end of my turn two i controlled all the objectives, killed all Morghasts, arkhan wolves and skeletons. On his turn 3 he scored zero and scooped. Ke kept the initiative all the game.

Afterthoughts 

Infinite mobility is a thing in burning objectives games.

Waves of terror on 9+ is a thing.

MSU is a thing with wave of terror.

Soulcage is enormous.

Kurdoss is quite a beast, he killes 5 wolves and 2 morghast on his own and stole a crutial CP (preventing Inspiring presence). I never realised he had -2 rend.

The coach is a trap...for the opponent.

I desesperate to make Olynder worth her points.

I don't like cogs but i feel i need it.

I really liked making 12 charge rolls in the same turn, maximizing WOT chances.

14 hours ago, kozokus said:

How many folks?what did you face?

You had to break the bubble of illusion by asking how many people took part 😂. It was only 6, was meant to be 20+ but there was over 15 drop outs, which is a crazy amount of no shows for an event. 

I went 3-2. Every game was super close and very tense, with the final outcome only being decided in Turn 4 or Turn 5. So played against: Beasts of Chaos (lost), Slaanesh (lost), Wanderers (win), Chaos Dwarfs (win), Stormcast (win).

I could have beaten the BoC if I had deployed better, it was the 1st game and mistakes were made. But I don't think that I'd have been able to have beaten Slaanesh, the summoning and fighting last activation ability are really difficult to overcome even with running MSUs and having the Soul Cage spell. Was still happy that the game was decided on a priority roll for Turn 4, was expecting to get walloped. 

Overall was the best 5 games of AoS that I've played in a long time and even though the attendance was poor, everyone found their games to be relatively close match ups, except one or two of the Slaanesh players games which were very one sided events. 

8 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So RIP Mortality Glass Guardian of Souls. Your lantern may have only burned for a short time but it burned twice as bright 😢

IMG_20190708_191709.jpg

Maybe we should tell it to gw that he should be in the ghb19 

13 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So RIP Mortality Glass Guardian of Souls. Your lantern may have only burned for a short time but it burned twice as bright 😢

IMG_20190708_191709.jpg

This is so very strange. It has got to be some mistake meant to exclude old outdated models and named heroes from the old world. Why on earth would anyone want to ban mortality glass from us!?

1 minute ago, Ahn-ket said:

But his Translocation spell is even mentioned in one of the battalions from the start on

And it is less than one year old! Anyway since I do not care for tournements I guess that I will be fine, but still it seem like a singleminded descision.

Sure its a bit hard to come by the model,  but instead of banning it they should just put its warscroll in the app and  people who can’t get it,  will convert it themself. Hourglass bits in the Nighthaunt range are plentyfull. 

Just now, lare2 said:

100% reckon they simply forgot about him. 

Yeah I find that easier to believe too. It’s not like NH have that many strong units anyway. Taking away the Mortality Glass and increasing the price of Grimghast Reapers appear to me like no one official is watching over the NH faction. 

Could be that they missed it, however they added other missed units in the errata (like the big FW Khorne dragon). They also don’t like to have units that they don’t sell in pitched battles. They switched to new anniversary models this weekend (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/18/store-anniversary-exclusives-for-the-next-yeargw-homepage-post-2/)  so it’s entirely plausible it’s not included because of that. 

They added the errant-questor but not mortality glass. 

I emailed the rules team straight away to ask when the GHB19 first came out. They could have easily included it and it's been known for a while apparently in the competitive scene. 

I think that the decision is because it's a limited edition model that is no longer available. So to make it fair to everyone they've decided to not let anyone use it. I can understand the reason behind it but it's also frustrating when it's still included in the LoN FAQ as a model that can be taken, but the GHB19 supersedes that decision. Also the Chainguard battalion that can be effected by the Temporal Translocation spell of the mortality glass GoS. It sucks plums but it's really unlikely to be an oversight 😢

Edited by Tropical Ghost General

2 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

They added the errant-questor but not mortality glass. 

I emailed the rules team straight away to ask when the GHB19 first came out. They could have easily included it and it's been known for a while apparently in the competitive scene. 

I think that the decision is because it's a limited edition model that is no longer available. So to make it fair to everyone they've decided to not let anyone use it. I can understand the reason behind it...

Well I honestly don’t. IMO there is something wrong with this world since lots of people believe that everyone is entitled to everything. This is a general problem way bigger than the banned mortality glass but I think that it is a shame that GW as yet another company don’t dare go out and say: “This is a limited model if you got it, good for you,  if you don’t you have to get creative and build it by yourself. 

I can fully understand that GW will have all of their future anniversary models being nothing but reskinned old models but the mortality glass is already here, at least be fair and accept the choices you’ve made when someone designed that GOS.

Look at CMON and the Zombicide series. That game has 80+ limited models/profiles and about 20-30 official ones. completionists nightmare I know but these models are not at all necessary to enjoy the  game. Don’t think GW should go this way, just pointing out that leaving a few anniversarymodels and such in a limited stock isn’t the end of the world. Besides that, warscroll cards are kinda limited already and not having these is a serious pain.

The entitlement thing swings both ways. Just because you have a model it doesn’t mean you always get to use it. 

It’s all about GW being afraid that 3rd party companies making proxies of models they don’t sell but have rules for. It’s happened in the past.

46 minutes ago, Guardian said:

This is not ok..some people spent a pretty penny in acquiring this model for it to suddenly not be valid less than a year later.

I feel your pain on this. It's not as if we are an S-tier faction that needs a nerf or two. But the limited availability sucks. It's the same reason that Garkorr the 500th store bladegheist didn't get any special rules, because not everyone can get them, so no one shall have them. It's a rubbish mentality and they should have not given the anniversary GoS any special rules to begin with but 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Platypus said:

The entitlement thing swings both ways. Just because you have a model it doesn’t mean you always get to use it. 

You know what I totally disagree with you on this. I think thats exactly what it means. Well clearly not always but so short after being released it’s seemed to me that it is more than fair to feel bummed out. 

Sure the game evolves fast and models and even armies become obsolete in time but that is not the case here. If I buy a product I would expect to use it as intended. 

Imagine buying a new phone and you find out that it’s incapable of making calls despite still being able to download apps, go on the net and such. The price is the difference here but the principle is the same.

I want to caveat this with I'm not a nighthaunt player and I do not own the model but isn't the use of entitlement contradictory here.

The model was special edition and limited availability, yes it had rules but weren't they intended for the product it was sold with?

"the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment"

Surely the fact that a minority can use this model 'officially' is inherently unfair in a tournament or even social club environment. While it is cool to have that model and you can still use it in an agreement or in a casual game in a matched paly environment it would be not consistent as access is not wildly available.

While I don't agree with the limited availability causing scarcity, (I am a FEC player so trust me I understand this as I still can't buy an official AAR model without paying extortionate prices). I feel this move is a fair one while sad for the minority who own it. 

Well, playing this luxury game at all is a big entitlement issue, but lets not go there and skip this whole entitlement discussion going forward. 

My personal opinion with regards to special models (I don’t own any) is that as long as tbey’re not dominating the game and thus ”required” to be competitive with that army, they should be allowed.