AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

@Kelsicle personally MSU style lists need to go to the minimum possible, so grims in 10s, blades and harridans in 5s, etc... 

Blades and grims are pretty self sufficient units. Rasps and SHs also fall into this self-sufficient category, but SHs lack any consistency to their damage output. 

Harridans imo require more babysitting, as they need rerolls on their hits, which can either be done with the torment or with one of the new generic command abilities. And due to needing the babysitting harridans might be better suited in units of 10 instead of 5.

Myrmourns are also not bad now that they are 70pts, so blobs of 4 create more unbind opportunities than a single bigger blob of 12. 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General

5 minutes ago, Blackmaniac said:

What is the Nighthaunt answer for Blightkings?  Do we have one?

Hahaha two weeks ago a buffed ten man blightkings wiped a 30 man grimghast, then my opponent rolled double turn,  nurgle may be the worst NH matchup

I mean you can turn off most of the blightking damage with a -1 to hit. Which olynder/mourngul have easy access too, and harridans if u have a Leadership nukes. 

But yeah my primary opponent is nurgle, and yeah it's a very tough match up. 

Edited by Cr1m50n

Set myself a goal of getting 1k painted this month for a local tournament/league.  Went with a fairly simple scheme but really pleased with how it’s come out.

Had 2 practice games 2 wins. Spirit hosts are tough to shift! BF6FBD28-6832-40BB-BFEA-F1B51FB2556E.jpeg.0c50189ad65b6cf30358b97fa0aeb2d6.jpeg

• Like 4

Super excited to try out this Nighthaunt list I've been brewing. I haven't tried it yet though, as I would like to get some input and thoughts before I deep dive into two boxes of Morghasts and some other additions.

General idea is to deepstrike (if possible) with the Shroudguard Battalion (incl. the KoS), the Spirit Torment and one of the GoS. The buffed up Revenants will hopefully melt through some units.
The rest of the troops, i.e. the Chainguard, the extra unit of Chainrasps and the two units of Morghasts (Archai) will march up. 
With the 2" range on the Morghasts, they should be able to slay ****** from behind the Chainrasps, while getting the juicy +1 to wound buff from the other GoS.

What do you think?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
LEADERS
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140) - Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist - Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Wychlight Lantern
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140) - Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist - Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Wychlight Lantern
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120) - General - Command Trait : Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - Artefact : Headsman's Judgement
Spirit Torment (120)

UNITS
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)

15 x Bladegheist Revenants (270)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

2 x Morghast Archai (200) - Spirit Halberds - Allies
2 x Morghast Archai (200) - Spirit Halberds - Allies

BATTALIONS
Chainguard (120)
Shroudguard (110)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2
WOUNDS: 120
LEADERS: 4/6
BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 0/4
ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 3/3
ALLIES: 400/400

2 hours ago, Snoogens said:

With the 2" range on the Morghasts, they should be able to slay ****** from behind the Chainrasps, while getting the juicy +1 to wound buff from the other GoS.

Morghast dont have the nighthaunt keyword, so sadly no buff from the GoS there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snoogens said:

Grimghast reapers would provide the same 2" reach, benefit from GoS and are battleline. 20 is 320points, lose the 10 chainrasp and morghast and you've bought your self 160points. I'd spend it on 8 myrmourn banshees for - 2 rend D3 damage to provide some of the punch you've lost from morghast. 

Also is switch one of GoS's to a mortality glass version, 1D6 charge within 9* is great, as he can't take a lantern artifact take fell wind pendant to increase mobility. 

36 minutes ago, punkycloud said:

Grimghast reapers would provide the same 2" reach, benefit from GoS and are battleline. 20 is 320points, lose the 10 chainrasp and morghast and you've bought your self 160points. I'd spend it on 8 myrmourn banshees for - 2 rend D3 damage to provide some of the punch you've lost from morghast. 

Also is switch one of GoS's to a mortality glass version, 1D6 charge within 9* is great, as he can't take a lantern artifact take fell wind pendant to increase mobility. 

Interesting idea! Hmm. I'm thinking - drop one unit of Morghast, drop the 10x Chainrasps unit, remove 5x Revenants from the 15x unit. This means I can keep one Morghast unit, while also adding a 20x Reaper unit.
So keeping one Morghast unit of 2 because they seem pretty damn good (I don't know, I feel hellbent on playing one atleast once), while trading 5x Revenants, 10x Chainrasps and 2x Morghasts for 20x Reapers (seems fairly alright).

This means that one GoS chills with the Shroudguard, while the other stays with the Chainguard and the Reapers. The Morghast unit will be able to go off on "adventures" where required.

Sadly I don't have access to the other GoS, so it will have to be two Nightmare Lanterns.

10 minutes ago, Snoogens said:

Interesting idea! Hmm. I'm thinking - drop one unit of Morghast, drop the 10x Chainrasps unit, remove 5x Revenants from the 15x unit. This means I can keep one Morghast unit, while also adding a 20x Reaper unit.
So keeping one Morghast unit of 2 because they seem pretty damn good (I don't know, I feel hellbent on playing one atleast once), while trading 5x Revenants, 10x Chainrasps and 2x Morghasts for 20x Reapers (seems fairly alright).

This means that one GoS chills with the Shroudguard, while the other stays with the Chainguard and the Reapers. The Morghast unit will be able to go off on "adventures" where required.

Sadly I don't have access to the other GoS, so it will have to be two Nightmare Lanterns.

Sounds good, Iove morghast and run a load in my nagash list. Maybe run the 3D6 charge varient for added speedyness

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, punkycloud said:

Sounds good, Iove morghast and run a load in my nagash list. Maybe run the 3D6 charge varient for added speedyness

Oh, didn't even know the Harbingers and Archai were different. 5++ save on mortals or 3d6 charge. That's a difficult one.
On one hand - if they're supposed to wander off to wreck cheap objective holders, then the 3d6 charge could be nice to get there faster, since they won't really need that 5++ mortal save against those units. But then again - if those objective holders can put up a fight, and that fight involves mortal wounds, which I guess is more and more common now, that save can really change the tide.

Man, AoS lists are more complex than anything I've ever dealt with.

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Are Blades the new go to unit? Whats a decent list that can spam them? 

I would say that they are a strong contender for a new "go to unit" . I recently listened to thehonestwargamer podcast touching on NH. Ashley McEwan (it think it was the name of the guest :) ) advocated that NH could be viable in a MSU-style build, and in that scenario I would probably rock 3 or 4 min size units of Blades. The idea behind that particular build is that if you take loads of smaller units, you will increase the odds of rolling that elusive 10+ to charge :) 

Edited by Flindt

12 minutes ago, Flindt said:

I would say that they are a strong contender for a new "go to unit" . I recently listened to thehonestwargamer podcast touching on NH. Ashley McEwan (it think it was the name of the guest :) ) advocated that NH could be viable in a MSU-style build, and in that scenario I would probably rock 3 or 4 min size units of Blades. The idea behind that particular build is that if you take loads of smaller units, you will increase the odds of rolling that elusive 10+ to charge :) 

Thats not really a mechanic I would try to push to use. I was thinking more of how to maximize their retreat then charge again ability. They are cheaper then Grims but smaller max unit size...maybe 3x20? Would that work? Just flood the table with them lol

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Thats not really a mechanic I would try to push to use. I was thinking more of how to maximize their retreat then charge again ability. They are cheaper then Grims but smaller max unit size...maybe 3x20? Would that work? Just flood the table with them lol

If you want to use the retreat and charge ability i would say that units of 20 are too big to manouvrer them efficiently. I'm quite sure you cant retreat by adding a dice because then you have also ran. 

So with only 8" retreat move your options aren't great if, lets say, you're in combat with 2 units. 

I would go with units of 10 instead for better utility. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I tend to agree that Blades don't work that well in max sized units. It really takes away from their abilities, and they're expensive.

If you want to run full sized units, I'd suggest trying Harridans instead. You're paying 40 less points so with three full sized units that's an extra 120 points. There's a lot you can do with those extra points. Then, if you look at the damage output, Harridans actually do better than Blades on turns when Blades don't charge and if the Blades don't have a nearby ST/Chainghast. With the new command ability to re-roll 1s, Harridans can be supported by characters other than Spirit Torments. And while everyone focuses on the fact that they need to face low bravery opponents for one of their abilities, I've always had a lot of success with their double damage ability. Helps to do a couple extra wounds.

48 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I tend to agree that Blades don't work that well in max sized units. It really takes away from their abilities, and they're expensive.

If you want to run full sized units, I'd suggest trying Harridans instead. You're paying 40 less points so with three full sized units that's an extra 120 points. There's a lot you can do with those extra points. Then, if you look at the damage output, Harridans actually do better than Blades on turns when Blades don't charge and if the Blades don't have a nearby ST/Chainghast. With the new command ability to re-roll 1s, Harridans can be supported by characters other than Spirit Torments. And while everyone focuses on the fact that they need to face low bravery opponents for one of their abilities, I've always had a lot of success with their double damage ability. Helps to do a couple extra wounds.

Hmm...yeah didnt think about all that. Good food for thought

The other thing to keep in mind is that unlike Reapers, Bladegheists only have a 1” attack, which means a unit of 20 is probably not getting everyone in range to attack, which would also detract from the retreat/charge fishing.

i tend to go for units of 10 

With KoS dropping I think it opens up double Shroudguard lists. I actually think because the battalion is only 110 it could be the core of a competitive list. Anyone have any cool ideas on how to finish out a list starting with the below:

Knight of Shrouds on Steed

Knight of Shrouds on Steed

5x Bladegheist

5x Bladegheist

5x Bladegheist

5x Bladegheist

2x Chainghast

2xShroudguard 

890/2000

I'd probably say Reikenor and Cogs are next.

Edited by Warbossironteef