AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Hi! I have a 2v2 tournament coming this week-end (1000 + 1000), and wanted to hear you guys' thoughts on the list I was planning to play. My partner plays DoK and is very much an alpha strike / "hammer" list. I tried to make a list that would be complementary.

- Lady Olynder (General; Shademist)

- Guardian of Souls (Spectral Tether, Beacon of Somethinganazar)

- 6x Spirit Hosts

- 3x Spirit Hosts

- 10x Bladegheist Revenants

- Chronomantic Cogs

The format of the tournament includes at least one round of 1v1's to ensure lists are somewhat balanced and can stand on their own, so I tried to make sure my list would still work in this format. When playing 2v2, the cogs would help my partner and myself (with my Bladegheists) get our turn-1 charges; when playing 1v1, I'm likely to use the cogs in "slow time" mode, to allow Olynder to reroll her saves.

I'm hesitating between Olynder as general (so that she can burn Command Points to return slain models to units) or the Guardian of Souls as general (giving him Lord of the Spirit Hosts to return D3 models to a unit). If I go the Olynder route, 3 units of 3 Spirit Hosts might work better than 6 + 3 as far as her command ability is concerned, but units of 3 are a lot easier to "delete" than units of 6... and they need to survive in order to benefit from her ability. I'm not sure what's the wisest approach.

I'm obviously low in model count and definitely low in hitting power, but I feel this might work... Thoughts?

8 hours ago, I_usually_just_lurk said:

Hi! I have a 2v2 tournament coming this week-end (1000 + 1000), and wanted to hear you guys' thoughts on the list I was planning to play. My partner plays DoK and is very much an alpha strike / "hammer" list. I tried to make a list that would be complementary.

- Lady Olynder (General; Shademist)

- Guardian of Souls (Spectral Tether, Beacon of Somethinganazar)

- 6x Spirit Hosts

- 3x Spirit Hosts

- 10x Bladegheist Revenants

- Chronomantic Cogs

The format of the tournament includes at least one round of 1v1's to ensure lists are somewhat balanced and can stand on their own, so I tried to make sure my list would still work in this format. When playing 2v2, the cogs would help my partner and myself (with my Bladegheists) get our turn-1 charges; when playing 1v1, I'm likely to use the cogs in "slow time" mode, to allow Olynder to reroll her saves.

I'm hesitating between Olynder as general (so that she can burn Command Points to return slain models to units) or the Guardian of Souls as general (giving him Lord of the Spirit Hosts to return D3 models to a unit). If I go the Olynder route, 3 units of 3 Spirit Hosts might work better than 6 + 3 as far as her command ability is concerned, but units of 3 are a lot easier to "delete" than units of 6... and they need to survive in order to benefit from her ability. I'm not sure what's the wisest approach.

I'm obviously low in model count and definitely low in hitting power, but I feel this might work... Thoughts?

I would definitely go for GoS as general with Ruler of the Spirit Hosts. Gonna need those command points to re-roll charges in the hopes of getting Waves of Terror.

Alright, I have an idea that I kinda need some further input on, but how do we feel about MSU? Because I feel like there might be something to it, and how it having lots of smaller units might actually be better.

In favor of MSU:

1) Your rolling more dice for charges, meaning more chances for Wave of Terror.

2) More Drops means more units that can deepstrike; leave the 10 man Chainrasps on the board, so you can deep strikr scarier stuff in.

3) Easier to keep units wholly within the aura range of our Heros. And since its auras and not Command Abilities, you don't need to worry about buffing one specific unit.

4) Nighthaunt saves are unpredictable; the enemy will have to gamble with their attack splitting, hoping that they'll have enough to kill one unit without leaving another one alive.

Took this to victory today. It was very hard fought. 

General:
100 Dreadblade Harrow (Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Balefire Blade)
Heros:
240 Lady Olynder (Soul Cage)
140 Guardian of Souls (Shademist)
120 Spirit Torment
120 Spirit Torment

Battlelines:
160 5x Hexwraiths
160 5x Hexwraiths
240 6x Spirit Hosts

Other Units:
80 4x Myrmourn Banshees
280 Black Coach
300 Mounrgul

Endless Spells:
60 Chronomantic Cogs

We played Starstrike adapted for 3 players. 6K was on the board. I played against Ironjawz and Seraphon. Gordrakk charged my line turn 1. Killed black coach outright and destructive bulked 1 1/2 hexwraiths. I attacked back with 4 Hex's a GoS and a Spirit Torment. Took him down to 7. On my turn I used olynders hero phase shot for 3 mortals, then used grave sands of time for the once per battle for 2 more.  Dropped Mourngul with a spirit torment behind him at the end of movement (from the underworld). Spirit Hosts dropped near the middle of the board. Over the next 3 turns I tabled most of the Ironjawz. (Megaboss on Maw Krusha with Ethereal Amulet is bull) The Seraphon player stayed back for most of this as we were killing each other. Luck struck as turn 2 the star hit our side, then one of the next 2 dropped in my deployment. Turn 4 started and Megaboss on foot was the only Ironjawz unit left. I killed that and sent the Spirit Hosts crashing into the seraphon front lines. The used Dreadblade Harrow to discorporate behind him and brought some hexwraiths with. Turn 5 I won priority and just zone blocked out the Seraphon teleporting as I already had more victory points. Never got the Cogs off all game. To be real, I only got two spells off all game and they were both Spectral Summons. Just bad rolling and when anything else actually passed the Seraphon would unbind.

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Bob said:

There is a delightful insanity to your list.

I tried games with huge blobs of Chainrasp and Grimghasts and moving all those models just never felt fun. Im much more happy to just slam a bunch of "hope for 6's" on the board. I actually ordered 3 more boxes of spirit hosts. I know they pretty much wont be competitive against 2.0 armies until we get an update. But in my playgroup we're all pretty low end so we dont have to take the meta lists. When Ironjawz and Seraphon get new books I have no doubt it will become actually impossible to win with NH.

Edited by SleeperAgent

Leaders

Dreadblade Harrow [General, RotSH, Aetherquartz Brooch]

Guardian of Souls - Nightmare Lantern [Wychlight]

Guardian of Souls - Mortality Glass [Chainguard]

Vampire Lord

Spirit Torment 

Battleline

Chainrasp x 30 [Chainguard]

Chainrasp x 20 [Chainguard]

Grimghast Reaper x 30 

Other

Bladegheist Revenant x 20

Chainguard Battalion

Endless Spells

Chronomatic Cogs

Aethervoid Pendulum

1940/2000 points, 2 extra CP

-Mort Glass sits in the block with the 30 Chainrasp; sometimes opponents brick the charge to try and move your tarpit off an objective. Other times it just regens dudes and lets you fish for Wave or reposition to get more guys piled in. I like him but don't expect him to turn your guys into offensive power houses, Rasps are better suited at being literal pointmen. Boring but wins games.

-Nightmare lantern sits with the Grimghast. Really powerful if the opponent doesn't snipe the GoS.

-Spirit Torment rolls with the Bladegheist. Also really powerful obviously.

Everything else in terms of deployment and grouping depends on game type, etc.

I know Nighthaunt are in a bad spot at the moment competitively but this list has been performing well. Ethereal is just really, really good at letting us pile a lot of guys on an objective and sometimes Wave just pops off and gives me a win I never deserved. 

On 6/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, Neck-Romantic said:

Thanks for bearing with me

Bad lighting but I was in a hurry; finished batch Tomb Banshee, Garkorr and Darrakar (black flames for now)

20190603_052807.jpg

Any idea where to find the Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass?  Does anyone know what happens in the tournaments if you don't have the actual model since it didn't get published everywhere unfortunately ?

Or do we know whether they sell this in Nottingham ? thanks !

3 minutes ago, Seraphage said:

Any idea where to find the Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass?  Does anyone know what happens in the tournaments if you don't have the actual model since it didn't get published everywhere unfortunately ?

Or do we know whether they sell this in Nottingham ? thanks !

I got mine from a fb group called something like trip lootsharing games workshop or something. Its a community of GW fans who wants to share the love whenever they are going to places where the limitid stuff is found. Don’t know a single person from the group but the philosophy is to help each other get t models for fair prices far from the BS market ebay turns into every time something is just a wee bit limited.

• Thanks 1

@Seraphage as I mentioned on the other post I'll also repeat here for other ghost players to see.

The GoS with mortality glass is currently one of the anniversary models though it's getting changed in July when both the AoS and 40k anniversary models get changed. Whether or not it will still be available hasn't been confirmed yet. Here is the link to the loot FB group. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/

There aren't that many stores having anniversaries now though before the change so it's worth getting on it if you want to get your hands on one. 

49 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Finally picked up some of the warscrolls on Ebay and was wondering what these symbols mean? The written ones are self-explanatory but can't figure the symbols. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

20190610_113948.jpg

The six oval ones are objectiv markers  the pictured four are anything you want but i would use them as gravesites in LoG 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ahn-ket said:

The six oval ones are objectiv markers  the pictured four are anything you want but i would use them as gravesites in LoG 

Thanks! They'd actually make pretty handy objective markers. 

If the necromancer previewed as part of the new mercenary companies makes it in with the standard war scroll would people consider paying the merc tax?

Dance macabre and deathly invocation could be a decent boost to some our units.

1 hour ago, Spears said:

It's a good addition but you'll need bonuses to casting to guarantee that danse macabre goes off, otherwise it's a waste of a CP. How to get those bonuses without taking Arkhan I don't know, and if you take Arkhan then you won't have points for the necromancer 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

It's a good addition but you'll need bonuses to casting to guarantee that danse macabre goes off, otherwise it's a waste of a CP. How to get those bonuses without taking Arkhan I don't know, and if you take Arkhan then you won't have points for the necromancer 🤷‍♂️

I agree with this. It's really good in theory, however our army is command point starved. It's hard to give one away. 

1 hour ago, Spears said:

If the necromancer previewed as part of the new mercenary companies makes it in with the standard war scroll would people consider paying the merc tax?

Command Point value far exceeds any kind of mercenaries. Im sure someone can come up with a list that doesnt use any cp buuuuut yeah...