AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

The thing is if I am to run 40 man skeleton blob anyway, I might as well go with the old legions as LoG is the weakest otherwise. Sacrement is better at casting, nagash himself is a beast in his grand host and legion of blood has the exact same rules except more attacks for vampires, twice the traits and artifacts and access to VloZD. Not to mention all have far more spell options and locus of shyish. 

I guess my point is that this legion is rather disappointing and good for nothing else than using ghosts a bit differently. The legion is by far the worst for any other type of unit to be in. 

12 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

The thing is if I am to run 40 man skeleton blob anyway, I might as well go with the old legions as LoG is the weakest otherwise. Sacrement is better at casting, nagash himself is a beast in his grand host and legion of blood has the exact same rules except more attacks for vampires, twice the traits and artifacts and access to VloZD. Not to mention all have far more spell options and locus of shyish. 

I guess my point is that this legion is rather disappointing and good for nothing else than using ghosts a bit differently. The legion is by far the worst for any other type of unit to be in. 

Execpt its explicitly not; Legion of Grief's spells are honestly far better than the majority of the Lore of the Vampires; Giving -d3 bravery or another point of rend can be huge for some units, especially with things like Skeletons.

In fact, Skeletons are probably the best battleline choice for LoG, since they have a banner for more bravery shenanigans, have the better buffer in the form of a Wight King, and are really good canidate for buffs. With the rend spell, and Lady Olynder's spell, you have a unit that's 3+ to hit, 4+ to wound, with 5 Rend -1 attacks a model. There is literally no unit in the game that can match that level of killyness. And wouldn't you know it, Lady Olynder can cast two spells, and now has access to both a Corpse Cart and Mortis Engine to boost her spells.

Black Knights and Morghasts also really shine, as they are fast and killy -2 Bravery at any time, and don't get much else from the other legions. And lets not forget that with Dreadblades, you can essentially guarantee a gravesite deepstrike where ever you please.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Qrow said:

I have to agree. The small game I had earlier this week using the rules we have seen was great, LoG plays how I wanted nighthaunt to play. My opponent felt that the bravery debuffs were actually a worrying and difficult thing to work around.

I love nighthaunt, but I think I will be mainly using LoG now, they are much more in line with my play style.

Also, with the shards of valagharr only being 40 points and having relatively large bases, I can see a lot of use in locking down parts of the map with them.

How would you describe the differences, for someone who may be coming into the faction as a new player?

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

How would you describe the differences, for someone who may be coming into the faction as a new player?

They are very similar to be honest.

Nighthaunt focuses more on mobility (from the underworld they come, all units can fly and spectral summons) and overwhealming other units in one charge phase (wave of terror). There is higher potential to do damage when you charge with nighthaunt, but each unit you lose is very damaging.

LoG is very focused on bravery debuffing to cause side effects (banshee screams, harridan -1 to hit, sometimes affects battleshock) and bringing back entire units when needed. You lose the potential to do double damage on a charge, but gain much more powerful resurgence because you can bring entire units back.

I haven't had a massive amount of experience with LoG, but they are basically just a slightly different way of playing with nighthaunt units, with the added bonus of being able to throw in skeletons, black knights and other similar units

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 1

Yep, they are already out. What was seen in previews and reviews was pretty much everything. Not sure when the app will update though, as I want to explore the army builder

Edited by Qrow

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Yep Ive been watching the app

Will we need to update it or does it update itself....

Edit: As of now you can peruse the scenery and endless spells from Forbidden Power... no book purchase and rules as of yet

Yeah, the new spells and scenery have been in since... I want to say monday? I'm not sure exactly what time it normally updates, but it has normally updated before midnight in Australia, so they are a little behind.

Could be that they realised all the confusion regarding LoG and want to double check everything before pushing the update? Just seems strange that they haven't pushed it yet, GW aren't the type to wait before they get our money.

5 hours ago, Joncharris13 said:

Still no app update to play with the Army builder and confirm battleline 😥

Ive got my Forbidden Power set and build my Horrogheist- now to try these bravery shananigans in the week 

We have seen the full rules and there are no battleline changes. Your options are Skeletons, wolves, zombies, and chainghasts.

5 hours ago, Joncharris13 said:

Still no app update to play with the Army builder and confirm battleline 😥

Ive got my Forbidden Power set and build my Horrogheist- now to try these bravery shananigans in the week 

Can you post screenshots of the LOG rules please?

Ok folks; what do you think of this. (I wish I knew how to add spoiler tags so I wasnt spamming walls of text)

2x Necromancer 1 STorment 1 KoSoES 2x Mortis Engine 4x10 rasps 2x15 Bladegheist 1x12 Myrmourn  + quicksilver swords + emerald lifeswarm.

Knight adds his +1 attack to myrmourns or blades depending on who needs it; necros and knight/torment (whoever gets amethyst glow trait) get +2 to cast to ensure Vanhels and endless spells go off, rnemy casters get -2 to cast and have to deal with +3 to unbind myrmourns, necros heal 2 units per turn, torment heals one, lifeswarm heals, mortis engines can heal (but NOT ressurect) and 4 units of screening chainrasps to get in the way or cap objectives.

Thats Myrmourns with 3 (possibly 4) attacks each fighting twice with -3 rend (LoG spell) or Blades with 4 attacks at -2 rend fighting twice. 

2 endless spells for myrmourns to eat, one healy one offensive just in case you need to actually use them

Thoughts? 

Edited by Neck-Romantic

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Not sure if posting the actual pics is permitted...

Also; saved all images 🤣

Traits are all solid, relics are subpar; most likely always take -1 hit missile, 2 of 3 spells great (8+ to cast on bravery bomb? Good god)

Neither was I- bit if it gets removed maybe a few will of grabbed it first hehe