AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Only if they repoint all the armies that were made with thier free terrain in mind.

Point costs on FEC weren’t significantly changed with their 2.0 Battletomb.  I think the Dev’s approach on terrain has been the fluffy approach akin to the original game.  Changes on point costs seem more inline with encouraging or discouraging use of said units.

So this is a bit of a weird list, but one that I think has a lot of potential as an army. For starters, there are a few weird things about it, but overall, it's designed to essentially lock down the enemy, and than maneuver around them before going in for the kill. It's also the result of me forcing myself to not use battalions, and to also not use Grimghasts.

The lack of heros is a bit intentional, and the ones that are there are entirely there because they are necessary; the Spirit Torment is there for the Chainghasts and Bladegeists, the Guardian is there for Cogs, and the harrow for teleporting around the battlefield. Nothing flashy, just functional. Ideally, I'll pull the GoS/spirit torment where needed, or drop them in.

Units are more interesting; Chainrasps are there to drop onto the enemy, and turn 1 charge them, so as to tie up their front lines. They will also pull double duty as meat shields and objective Holders. Myrmourn are there to be a dagger in the back of any hard hitters without rend. Ideally, they will drop behind a Chainrasp horde front line, wait a turn and dispel to get the extra attack, and than go for the charge with the ST and God nearby. Ideally, that is. I doubt the stars will align that well, so 24 Banshees it is. The Bladegeists will more of front line Brawlers, going in with the ST to get re-rolls to all hits. The spirit hosts are for last second objective nabbing or charge lane blocking. Chainghasts pull triple duty as being a swiss knife; they help relieve the stress on the ST, help pick off support characters like casters, or deal with hordes that pop out of nowhere. Its still an untested list, but I think it is something unique.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern(140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Units
4 x Chainghasts (160)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

@Undeadly40 man units of chainrasps does not sit well with me, I tihnk it will be near impossible to maximise their use with only 1" range on their attacks. If you reconsider battalions this would fit so well as a condemned battalion.

My suggestion is to cut the units down to max 30 man units, this pays for the battalion and now all the chainghasts reroll to hit near your torment and ghasts. You can also then use the artifact to give the dreadblade or torment the midnight tome, possibly taking shademist would could make any unit much tankier. The added command point will also be useful for the charges, or keeping the rasps around if they start taking a lot of fire.

Thats just my 2c though.

4 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

@Undeadly40 man units of chainrasps does not sit well with me, I tihnk it will be near impossible to maximise their use with only 1" range on their attacks. If you reconsider battalions this would fit so well as a condemned battalion.

My suggestion is to cut the units down to max 30 man units, this pays for the battalion and now all the chainghasts reroll to hit near your torment and ghasts. You can also then use the artifact to give the dreadblade or torment the midnight tome, possibly taking shademist would could make any unit much tankier. The added command point will also be useful for the charges, or keeping the rasps around if they start taking a lot of fire.

Thats just my 2c though.

I see your reasoning, but my problem is that the Condemned is a bit too pricey for what it gets you. For 150 points, that's pretty expensive for a buff thats entirely made for Chainrasps who will mostly be dropping in to clog up the enemy so that my deadlier units are the ones. The command point and extra artifact would be handy, but thats 150 points of models that I'm not taking.

150 points can get you another batch of 20 chainrasps, 10 reapers or an extra hero. Not worth CONDITIONAL  rerolls and an artifact/cp. Same for chainguard.

Nighthaunt allegiance is made for speed over resilience. Your best strength is wave of terror. Once you have taken the felleind pendant there is little interesting artifacts.

Your best bet is to multiply your speed, bodycount and your number of charges. (WoT happens 1/6, imagine you roll a dice in each charge, on 6, bam you get an extra combat phase)

I got 4th out of ~60 players this weekend with this list. Missed Best Death due to 1st and 2nd place being FeC. I beat Skaven, DoK, KO, BoC, and lost to the 2nd FeC by 1 point (but beat them 1700 to 1380 on kill points).

Reiknor, soul cage
Guardian of Souls, mortality glass, shademist
Dreadblade Harrow, general, tome, soul cage
40 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
30 Grimghast Reapers
20 Bladeghiest Revenants
20 Bladeghiest Revenants
Cogs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhellion said:

I got 4th out of ~60 players this weekend with this list. Missed Best Death due to 1st and 2nd place being FeC. I beat Skaven, DoK, KO, BoC, and lost to the 2nd FeC by 1 point (but beat them 1700 to 1380 on kill points).

Reiknor, soul cage
Guardian of Souls, mortality glass, shademist
Dreadblade Harrow, general, tome, soul cage
40 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
10 Chainrasps
30 Grimghast Reapers
20 Bladeghiest Revenants
20 Bladeghiest Revenants
Cogs

What were the 3 ten man units of Rasps for? Objective holding?

Vs DoK Khailebron in Better Part of Valor both my opponent and I were worried about teleporting. He was mostly snakes (sisters) and he came after me with part of his army but not all due to scenario and teleporting. I was able to pick off the front, offsetting one flank and then teleporting and deep striking back to the other flank when he reacted the opposite way. This allowed me to get 5 objectives turn 2, burn them all going up 8-0 and I was able to focus everything on the last obj and not worry about his teleporting. I got it by the end of turn 4 even after losing all 30GG in one combat with about 15 snakes. they then got charged from the rear by bladeghiests and wiped.

Vs Kharadron in Border War (i think) I put all 4 large units in the sky and deployed everything else deep. He was playing a foot slogging gunline. He gave me first because he was out of range so I deep struck everything for the turn 1 charge, cast cogs, and made all 4 charges (had a character deepstrike as well for a reroll if needed). Wiped out more than half his army top of turn 1, with only one of the charges being 10+... killed about 70 Arkanauts. His remaining allied evocators and brokk actually did some serious damage to my army but I was too far ahead on points too early after scoring his objective right away T1.

Vs Skaven in Knife to the heart, my opponent gave me priority and I cast mystic shield and said "I'm done, your go" with my screens set up. Threw him off a bit. We did this until 4th turn! The I realized I made a terrible mistake and left a unit of Bladeghiests in the underworld and they died and gave up 320 points. Stupid of me. Then I went for it and went after a juicy flank with a Bell, small monk unit, priest, and censer bearers. I used Translocation to move the Grimghasts and teleported with my general and got both units across the entire table from my deployment zone in and killed all I listed, except the bell, while also tagging a 40 man unit at exactly 3" range to minimize the attacks. This forced him on the last turn to try and kill enough (I went up 440 to 320) but he only killed my general (440 to 420) and my last Bladeghiest in the second unit survived. Close one after a huge and stupid mistake.

Vs FeC Gristlegore in 3 Places of Arcane Power he was worried about me dropping down my large blocks and sitting on objectives and only being able to move me off one. So he went first and sat on them. He couldn't come after me do to my screens (seen above) without a bad counter charge. After he dropped and put the GKOTG on the middle, and the GKOZD on one flank and a small character and ghouls on another I focused on the flanks. I killed the ZD realatively quickly and cleared the other flank with ease while sending Grimghasts to kill the 40 ghouls in the middle while NOT engaging 3" of the TG. I chewed through most of the ghouls then the TG killed all the GG. I was threatening objectives at this point and he had to leave the center to deal. This was by turn 3. If I had won either turn 2 or 3 priorities I would have cleared all his characters but the TG. I could have killed the TG or just won on points... but I lost and the TG killed enough that I lost by 1. Even with a 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ (after rend with mystic terrain and the extra 5+ spell) my Bladeghiests killed the ZD in one turn. I still beat up his army and outscored him on kill points 1700 to 1380. He had the remnants of his 40 man ghouls, a GKOTG, and summoned flayers and a summoned Vargulf left from his starting army.

Vs BoK in Blood and glory, there was a lot of large terrain on the table and he was scared of me teleporting behind him and auto winning. So I used the terrain to tunnel him down lanes with my screening units and counter charged on bottom of turn 2 when he didn't move far forward. I chose his strong flank and went in with everything. It wasn't going amazing so I set up to flee, teleport, and drop in a final unit on bottom of T3 and had more numbers on the objectives and took them for the auto win.

Edited by Rhellion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrRoff said:

Where did you get those moving trays tho? Seems really handy!! 

Element Games!

I usually make few mistakes. Honestly it was one of the biggest ones I have ever made in a game of Warhammer and should have cost me the game. Luck prevailed and a couple bad decisions on my opponent's part. And more luck from me after finally deciding to make some smart decisions. Part of the stupid mistake was because I only have ever played 2 games with Nighthaunt before this event and didn't fully know the rule.

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

Question on Grimghast Reapers. Do I have to have an Extoller of Shyish in every unit? And how does it work with double or triple unit? 

What do you mean with an double or triple unit?... 

A unit is a unit, you can have 10-30 grims in 1 unit and only 1 extoller of Shyish in that whole unit. 

But If you have 3 units =

10 grimghast 

10 grimghast 

10 grimghast 

Then each of those units must have their own extoller of Shyish yes. 

But keep in mind that you save points if you have a 30 grim units. 

And you can't have more than 1 extoller of Shyish in a unit. 

Edited by MrRoff

1 minute ago, MrRoff said:

What do you mean with an double or triple unit?... 

A unit is a unit, you can have 10-30 grims in 1 unit and only 1 executioner of Shyish in that whole unit. 

But If you have 3 units =

10 grimghast 

10 grimghast 

10 grimghast 

Then each of those units must have their own executioner of Shyish yes. 

But keep in mind that you save points if you have a 30 grim units. 

By double-triple I meant 20, 30 models. I didn't wanna use Extollers because they look so dumb.