AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

5 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Nah, huge news for Legions of Nagash, another Legion added to the other 4. For NH it's basically GW admitting that without a rewrite (which won't happen any time soon) they are better off in LoN than in NH. 

Will it make ghosts competitive yes, but it won't be as NH though 😢

To me if I can field a competitive army with mostly or entirely Nighthaunt models, that'll do it for me. I don't really care if I write "Nighthaunt" or "Legion of Grief" on my roster pad.

• Like 1

Legion of Nagash with the entire Nighthaunt roster...that means at a minimum no Nighthaunt allegiance so maybe there will be new spells and items that come with the expansion. 

Including stuff like VLoZD, VL's, Necros, and all the spell lores could crazy good when combined with Nighthaunt with no ally restrictions 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Legion of Nagash with the entire Nighthaunt roster...that means at a minimum no Nighthaunt allegiance so maybe there will be new spells and items that come with the expansion. 

Including stuff like VLoZD, VL's, Necros, and all the spell lores could crazy good when combined with Nighthaunt with no ally restrictions 

While this would be really cool, I suspect that it'll not get access to all of the regular LoN units. You could be right though, it's speculation at this point. Hopefully we will get a preview this week.

55 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Yes, I was always puzzled that we didnt have more Bravery interactions. 

Was originally expecting us to get a 'terrorgheist' style banshee scream with 3 dice too, and disappointed we couldnt Ally one in. Perhaps now as a FEC merc....

Hopefully since it's a new legion that means 6 new spell lores to choose from. And BIG hopefully one or two of them remove bravery somehow. We have so much stuff based off bravery but can only give -1 due to NH allegiance ability. No spells, no abilities, kind of a flavor fail.

Side note: Dreadscythe Harridrans need to either hit on 3's or cost less. 90 points for 5 is whack.

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Not likely. If its LoN allegiance then you wont have access to Nighthaunt allegiance stuff

Agreed, plus if they did get access to all the nighthaunt allegiance abilities then why would anyone use nighthaunt?

I think there is a chance they will blend the two though, some nighthaunt some LoN abilities. We will have to see

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Qrow said:

Agreed, plus if they did get access to all the nighthaunt allegiance abilities then why would anyone use nighthaunt?

I think there is a chance they will blend the two though, some nighthaunt some LoN abilities. We will have to see

But thats my point. I really think they want to retire the nighthaunt book. Olynder is now LoG. with a brand new spanking storyline.  Every unit in Nighthaunt is now LoG.   NH was due for a review being 41% win rate and really lacking competitiveness, then suddenly all of the models become relevant under the LoG guise . I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped supporting nh as a standalone anymore.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soots said:

But thats my point. I really think they want to retire the nighthaunt book. Olynder is now LoG. with a brand new spanking storyline.  Every unit in Nighthaunt is now LoG.   NH was due for a review being 41% win rate and really lacking competitiveness, then suddenly all of the models become relevant under the LoG guise . I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped supporting nh as a standalone anymore.

This is what I expect to happen. It says Legion of Grief will include "the Nighthaunt’s full roster". So in essence it's Nighthaunt, but they can add more stuff to it. They will probably get their own terrain soon and a new book which hopefully rewrites the endless spells to be useful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soots said:

Yeah im vouching for this as well. My first thought upon reading the news was that this will be a mix of both nd not a straight LoN or NH alliegieance pick. Cause if they remove, from the underworld they come and spectral summons then ghosts will loose a huge part of their identity. However Im wondering if wave of terror makes the possible mix.

It does say it includes the entire NH roster; so it sounds like an attempt to pave over the current book.

If GHB includes points changes, and LoGrief allows for VLoZD / Mortis Engine etc combos then it will promote sales, and most likely preclude the NH battletome itself from being updated for several years.

Just now, Neck-Romantic said:

It does say it includes the entire NH roster; so it sounds like an attempt to pave over the current book.

If GHB includes points changes, and LoGrief allows for VLoZD / Mortis Engine etc combos then it will promote sales, and most likely preclude the NH battletome itself from being updated for several years.

Yeah, I wonder if they keep the old battalions or offer us some new ones? Because of the battalions get ported over then it is safe to say this is pretty much a new codex altogether.

As I mentioned earlier, this isn't a boost for ghosts. The post specifically mentions it's a new stuff for LoN. I think that it means that we can finally include the new BC and the mourngul in a LoN army though, as it's the full Nighthaunt roster being included. 

Also as already mentioned I do think that it will make LoG competitive but I doubt very much that it will still be ghosts with the ghost allegiance abilities, plus all the LoN abilities, that would just be broken AF. 

Whether it works like other legions, (where it's led by a mortarch, though you don't have to use that mortarch to led it, but if any mortarchs are included then Lady O must be one of them and must be the general.) I've no idea. Could it led to LoN getting an updated battletome, similar to how Chaos Space Marines got their codex 2.0, so no major changes, just includes all the new units and updated information, I don't know. 

All I can really speculate on for now is that it's a boost for LoN and not NH. 

IMG_20190514_081052.jpg

It's sad that as Nighthaunt players, we are hoping that Legion of Grief is competitive so we can play our ghosts with a fair chance of winning, while having a less than a year old battletome and our units working better already in Legions of Nagash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I always thought based on the background in the book that it made sense to eventually have two armies: Legion of Grief led by Lady Olynder as another Legion of Nagash and Nighthaunt as a force of destruction, allied with nobody. I'd rather see this happen and honestly might sell my stuff if we're just another legion of Nagash. 

I think LoG will be all nighthaunts plus a few LoN Units maybe keyword bounded

I think it will be deathrattle deadwalkers deathmages maybe malignent 

In addition Lady o will maybe get deathlords keyword

Edited by Ahn-ket