AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Hello everyone! I'm new to Age of Sigmar, and I'm hoping to slowly build up to a 2000pt Nighthaunt army as my first project.
I have a list in mind that I want to build towards but I'm not confident that it's a good one, so I was hoping if you guys could tell me your thoughts on it.

It's not that I want it to be super competitive, but if I'm making something that is going to struggle against half the armies in the game then I'd like to know beforehand.  My only rules here is that I don't use special characters, and that I'm trying to prioritize the models I like the best in the range.

List in spoiler (To avoid taking up space)

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Midnight Tome
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spirit Drain
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Spirit Torment (120)
Spirit Torment (120)

Units
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
8 x Myrmourn Banshees (160)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)
Shroudguard (110)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 101

The idea is that I'm grouping the army up into four pieces, that I can use flexibly depending on the situation. The two Revenant units each get their own Spirit Torment, and one has the Guardian while the other has the KoS. The Executioner hangs out with the spirit hosts.
If I need to defend something then I've got the Revenant unit with the Guardian with lots of heals, and the Execution Horde which should be a nice tarpit. I've put spirit drain on the Executioner in the hopes that I can bait some monster into attacking my general, and then grind it away.
If I need to move up and attack some place then I've got the Revenant unit that is affected by the KoS's pendant, and possibly the Banshees for magic defense.
If the opportunity presents itself -I've got soul cage on the guardian for the dream double charge with the Revenants.

My own concern with my list is that I'm not sure I've got enough bodies for objectives in 2K games. And I haven't got a clue about matchups.
Again, I'm new to the game, and I've never played a game. So any feedback is much much appreciated!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Axter said:

Hey guy, what do you think it's better? 20 revenants or 30 reaper? I have a tournent sunday and i'm tryng to make a list but still do not know what to do...

It really depends on how said unit will fit in your force.  Reapers for an all around workhorse with low maintenance.  Revenants if you’re wanting to get fancy with your tactics.

Listing the force would be helpful

On 4/9/2019 at 4:14 AM, Tropical Ghost General said:

So I stopped playing ghosts for a while. Hit the hobby wall (after doing pretty much only playing AoS and just bedsheets for nearly a year!!). So had a break around Christmas, as life and work stuff got in the way. I used the new year to start a new army and picked up FEC to complete my Death collection, then the new book came out and it was great. I played in a little 1k tournament and won but felt guilty at how gross FEC were and so refused to play them in friendly games, instead picking my ghosts back up again. Had some friendly games and it re-ignited the passion for the spooks. So what has been going on for ghosts in the last 3-4 months? Has anyone discovered any new gross stuff that I should be aware of?

Well, the biggest news is that Nighthaunt got a pretty nice  buff in the form of Errata for the Soulcage spell; instead of just forcing the enemy to select the targeted unit last out of their activation, it now makes the unit fight deadlast after everything else has fought. Makes it much easier to get off and use. 

Other than that, not much has changed in Nighthaunt itself; Grimghasts are still good, Glaivewraiths are still rather poor. Really, its just been mostly other armies changing things up. I've seen some success with use of Execution Horde and the Banshee battalion though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Axter said:

Hey guy, what do you think it's better? 20 revenants or 30 reaper? I have a tournent sunday and i'm tryng to make a list but still do not know what to do...

Funny enough, I also have a tournament on Saturday; not in Texas, I presume?

Either way, I decided to go with both; 20 Grimghast for some front line brawling and horde decimation, and 20 Revenants for some sneaky tactics and back lines sundering. They do pretty different things, although I would recommend packing something capable of battering down larger targets. 

For that, I am having troubles with choices; Which is better? Lady Olynder, or 8 Myrmourn Banshees with a Vampire Lord for the plus +1 attack? I am already running Reiknor and a GoS, and a big blog of spirit hosts, but I am trying to find a good heavy hitter. 

17 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

It really depends on how said unit will fit in your force.  Reapers for an all around workhorse with low maintenance.  Revenants if you’re wanting to get fancy with your tactics.

Listing the force would be helpful

Still do not know what i will bring, but i have:

60 chainrasp (my friend can give me some more for that day)

48 reaper

20 revenants

20 stalkers

12 spirit host

12 myrmourn banshe

2 chainghast

Then i got almost every hero, some of them more then 1 (spirit torment x3 and guardian of soul x2)

8 hours ago, Undeadly said:

Funny enough, I also have a tournament on Saturday; not in Texas, I presume?

Either way, I decided to go with both; 20 Grimghast for some front line brawling and horde decimation, and 20 Revenants for some sneaky tactics and back lines sundering. They do pretty different things, although I would recommend packing something capable of battering down larger targets. 

For that, I am having troubles with choices; Which is better? Lady Olynder, or 8 Myrmourn Banshees with a Vampire Lord for the plus +1 attack? I am already running Reiknor and a GoS, and a big blog of spirit hosts, but I am trying to find a good heavy hitter. 

Nope, i'm in italy, i'm sorry. Anyway i love lady olinder and i find her magic pretty cool, but i never saw the banshee in action (i just bought all my army to one of my friends that was selling it and i played it like one time)

Sometimes I am wondering if our group are so noob that we might not even realize it or if the fact that we don’t really care for tournements just allows for some very alternative lists. 

Lately I have won 3+ games just by having Reikenor pop up behind enemy lines bowling a purple sun down my opponents monster or hero lane, dooing a ton of damage. However not once in all the many army lists shown here have I seen anyone including the Purple Sun. 

Last game I did the sunstrike vs. DOK and I managed (with a bit of luck) to take 3 wounds from Morathi, 7 wounds from his Cauldron, 6 wounds from his something snakemedussa wizard. All in one nasty spell, and to be honest I wasn’t really that lucky. Then came the reaper charge and at his turn 2 he conceeded. By then I have wiped out a unit of 30 slaughter sisters (I think) and my puny Hex Wraiths managed to finish a Hag Queen. All I have lost was 4 Myrmourn Banshees.

15 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Reik deepstriking and then casting Psun the following turn?

Yup. Sometimes I have been lucky to get the double turn, but in case I didn’t I have always placed a small sheetshiel👻 right i front of him, just to be sure he would live to cast the spell.

53 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Last game I did the sunstrike vs. DOK and I managed (with a bit of luck) to take 3 wounds from Morathi, 7 wounds from his Cauldron, 6 wounds from his something snakemedussa wizard. All in one nasty spell, and to be honest I wasn’t really that lucky. Then came the reaper charge and at his turn 2 he conceeded. By then I have wiped out a unit of 30 slaughter sisters (I think) and my puny Hex Wraiths managed to finish a Hag Queen. All I have lost was 4 Myrmourn Banshees.

O.o Purple Sun only goes off if you roll a 6 for the unit affected.  If I'm reading this right you threw the Purple Sun at Morathi, Cauldron, and another hero and rolled a 6 for each of them? That's some bonkers luck!

4 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

The only goes of on 6 is on units with wounds lower than 6. If Im reading the sun right it straught up does 2D6 wounds to units of 6+ wounds.

That's sadly incorrect and was clarified in the Malign Sorcery FAQ from December 2018:

image.png.6af9fccee2da21bda9d0812a4515f107.png

Edit: This is largely why Purple Sun isn't considered competitively viable, each model only has a 16.67% chance of being slain or taking damage.

Edited by relic456

6 minutes ago, relic456 said:

That's sadly incorrect and was clarified in the Malign Sorcery FAQ from December 2018:

image.png.6af9fccee2da21bda9d0812a4515f107.png

Edit: This is largely why Purple Sun isn't considered competitively viable, each model only has a 16.67% chance of being slain or taking damage.

Ouch... did not know that.. oh I guess that settles it. We are noobs after all😉

23 hours ago, Axter said:

Still do not know what i will bring, but i have:

60 chainrasp (my friend can give me some more for that day)

48 reaper

20 revenants

For a competitive force I would build my core around these three options.  Maybe a Shroudguard & Chainguard warscroll battalions.  Balance out adding heroes for synergies verses more Reapers for damage output.

A more narrative would have a warscroll with the glaivewraiths or banshees.

Hello everyone, coming back to the hobby after a couple years off.  Found the whole story behind the Nighthaunt as souls suffering ironic punishments at the hands of Nagash to be very interesting. Bought the tome, a couple of the soul wars boxes and individual boxes, was wondering if it would be possible to make a semi decent list for a not terribly competitive environment. . The Lady Olyander model and her story were a big selling point for the faction so would like to keep her in the army, but open to getting more models and have a couple not listed in more of the units listed some tomb banshees, and the other named heros minus The Briar Queen, planning on getting some hexwraiths and willing to get more of the fantastic range. 

Current list is

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Mirror of Screaming Souls 
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- General
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Dreadbolt Ring 

Battleline
30 x Chainrasp Horde (240)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Units
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)

Battalions
Chainguard (120)
Death Stalkers (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

Edited by BearBonanza

Hey-hey,

pretty new to AoS and Nighthaunts.....I’ve played a few 1000 point games now against Ironjawz and DoK....and in every game I’ve lost my Reapers before they got off a single round of attacks.  I recently swapped them out for running Chainrasp horde backed by spirit of torment, Vamp lord and Gaurdian of souls and 6 spirit hosts.  Everyone seems to rave about the reapers  but in my games they just can’t stand up to much with their single wound, or deal enough damage with 2 attacks.  I only took them in a group of 10....is it mandatory for 20 or 30?  And against IronJawz brutes I seem to just be setting him up for another round of attacks ....

Every single non hero unit we have is 1 wound 4+ save beside rasps, hosts, and hexes. 

Every hero we have is 5 wounds 4+ save.

Every character is 7 wounds 4+ save.

It is slightly odd to have no differentiating defensive stats between units, no outright "hold the line" defensive guys, but you get used to it.

Reapers and Rasps, and Hosts to a certain degree, are best fielded in large groups for holding the bulk of the enemy at bay while your Myrmourns and Bladegheists pass through to deal damage to their back line. You have a better chance at getting some ressurections off with larger groups as well. 

Be sure to cast mystic shield and shademist on whatever is doing the tanking

Edited by Neck-Romantic

I've seen that people have insisted on the KoSoES as being an option in the Shroud guard battalion what is there reasoning here? There are more clear examples against than for as far as I can see. And, the neither FAQ or commentary mentions it at all.

Edited by whispersofblood
furthermore

2 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

I've seen that people have insisted on the KoSoES as being an option in the Shroud guard battalion what is there reasoning here? There are more clear examples against than for as far as I can see. And, the neither FAQ or commentary mentions it at all.

The mounted KoS has the Knight of Shrouds keyword, and the battalion states the unit names in Bold.