AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

13 hours ago, MrRoff said:

Also in the rules it's stated that you can't reroll a successful charge, only a failed. 

So if you charge with your grims and manage to roll let's say 8, and you're close enough to any enemy unit you must charge and can't reroll it. 

If this is true I am the biggest cheater on the planet.  I don't see where or why you cannot re-roll successful charges.

That said, it has never gotten me a WoT, but I have tried it several times unaware this was against the rules if it is...

2 hours ago, Nevar said:

If this is true I am the biggest cheater on the planet.  I don't see where or why you cannot re-roll successful charges.

That said, it has never gotten me a WoT, but I have tried it several times unaware this was against the rules if it is...

Unless there is a FAQ somewhere that disputes this, there is nowhere in the core rules that says you can' reroll any charge roll you want, the command ability has no mention of it needing to be for a failed charge, as there can be many reasons to want a longer charge range, even if it technically brings you in range of an opponent (which you do not need to choose before having a final roll). You can also choose not to charge at all, despite being able to reach something, this happens after having the final roll anyway, but it prevents the unit to make any further charge attempts, which I don't think matters for anyone at this point.

How many times can you cast Arcane bolt?
I know mystic shield is only once with 1 wizard.

But is there a limit to how many Arcane Bolt you can throw with diffrent wizards?

ALSO, sorry for my last comment where i said that you can't reroll a successful charge roll.
A guy we're playing with that is really read up on the rules said that and searched on his phone and said this to us.
Gonna ask him next time where he read that, my bad carry on re-rolling.

Edited by MrRoff

Hi guys, sorry for the question but how do you bring the miniature around? I have a tournament in 2 week and i willbring nighthaunt, but i do not know how to move them without them to be damaged. On internet i did not find nothing that seems safe enough, apart from feldherr but those are really expensive and i'm not sure that those are enough safe for nighhaunt.

Axter, i transport my models in cupcake holders. They are plastic boxes that come in two tiers. Take out the cupcake bit (which I use as a palette) and line the box with ferrous metal sheet (from amazon). Magnetise the minis and they stick down nicely. I have seen someone use biscuit tins with magnetised models as well. 

Not sure about larger models tho. I just put them in a box with polystyrene packing material, that seems to hold them but I don’t like this way of doing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Axter said:

Hi guys, sorry for the question but how do you bring the miniature around? I have a tournament in 2 week and i willbring nighthaunt, but i do not know how to move them without them to be damaged. On internet i did not find nothing that seems safe enough, apart from feldherr but those are really expensive and i'm not sure that those are enough safe for nighhaunt.

I found a big toolbox with compartments really cheap and big. 

Just put som padding and you're good to go 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:17 PM, Axter said:

I use the foam trays, similar to felherr cases, that came with a GameWorkshop branded carrying case, about 200 dollars CAD from a few years ago. Has more than enough room for 2000 pts.  They protect the models real nicely, but you still have to be careful when placing or removing them. The little whispy bits get caught in the foam sometimes.

So I've got a hobby question for you all. I've been using cotton on the bases of my models to attempt to create a "just emerged from the underworld fog." However, I found this to not be very practical for actual gaming. I've only played at my house so far with friends, but am hoping to be able to travel to gaming stores this summer to play against a larger variety of opponents.

So, a few questions:

Has anyone else gone for this effect? If so, any tips?

I am in the process of magnetizing my models as I have found the cotton loves to stick to the old-school GW foam that I have... and also the models don't fit in my old carrying case.

4 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

What do you guys think the chances are for Mourngul to get a points reduction after the GHB update? I wanna get more spooky boys but I also wanna run multiple mounrguls. (For aesthetic purposes)

“If it’s broke don’t fix it.”  - Games Workshop

That’s how Matt Ward got me feeling about the Guard for years.  I think GW is more likely to take action based on sales or tournament feedback.  There are plenty of people happy to see it gone from the tournament scene after all the “pain” it inflicted.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

What do you guys think the chances are for Mourngul to get a points reduction after the GHB update? I wanna get more spooky boys but I also wanna run multiple mounrguls. (For aesthetic purposes)

1 minute ago, Evil Bob said:

“If it’s broke don’t fix it.”  - Games Workshop

That’s how Matt Ward got me feeling about the Guard for years.  I think GW is more likely to take action based on sales or tournament feedback.  There are plenty of people happy to see it gone from the tournament scene after all the “pain” it inflicted.

Sadly I agree, I love the mourngul and would love to see it get a point decrease or some changes but that won't probably happen...  In aos 1.0 before I started playing there was a tournament where a guy brought out 2 mournguls and his opponent just gave up on the spot and forfeited the match. That's how broken they were. 

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

I can see how people thought it was OP back then, but it really isnt anymore. I usually compare it to Retributors, who for 80 less points, get 5 more wounds and 3 more attacks (assuming you use all lightning hammers). 

Yeah its been nerfed down to oblivion. 

It's not worth 300p at this points, especially with all new stonger and stronger battletomes that's coming out. 

11 hours ago, MrRoff said:

Yeah its been nerfed down to oblivion. 

It's not worth 300p at this points, especially with all new stonger and stronger battletomes that's coming out. 

Hopefully they drop it down to 260 or even 240 when the new GHB update comes out. OR if they wanna keep it at 300 give the 3+ save back. Everything does mortal wounds these days, Mourngul isn't the Boogeyman (rules wise) anymore. 

46 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I would love to see it get some attention but FW stuff isnt their priority. They want to sell Coaches for $100+ not a different department sell Mourns for ... I dont remember how much a Mourn was... $40? $60?

But doesn't FW update the stuff for their models anyways? IIRC they changed Mourngul a little after the last GHB update. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am very close to building my first 2000pts Nighthaunt list, and I'm looking for some advice of how to round it out. Here is what I have so far:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

LEADERS

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- General
- Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Spectral Tether

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Beacon of Nagashizzar

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Spirit Torment (120)

Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Allies

UNITS
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

TOTAL: 1840/2000
WOUNDS: 112
LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 140/400

As a huge noob, I'm looking for any and all advice. Not only do i need to fill another 160 points, but I'd be find with removing some stuff to add others. I don't know my local meta, so i can tune for that later.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Scurfturf

1 hour ago, Scurfturf said:

I am very close to building my first 2000pts Nighthaunt list, and I'm looking for some advice of how to round it out. Here is what I have so far:

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

LEADERS

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- General
- Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Spectral Tether

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Beacon of Nagashizzar

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Spirit Torment (120)

Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Allies

UNITS
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

TOTAL: 1840/2000
WOUNDS: 112
LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 140/400

As a huge noob, I'm looking for any and all advice. Not only do i need to fill another 160 points, but I'd be find with removing some stuff to add others. I don't know my local meta, so i can tune for that later.

Thanks in advance!

I would make one of the unnamed heros your general so you can have the command trait Ruler of the Spirit Hosts. Lady Olynder's No Rest for the Wicked is good but I prefer to return d3 spirit hosts because you end up with more free wounds on average. Then you can also save command points to charge re-rolls to fish for Waves of Terror. 

You should also probably use 120 of those spare points on at least a Spirit Torment. The re-roll hits of one do a lot of work. 

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Thanks 1

I have decided to run nighthaunt in an upcoming path to glory campaign. The rules we have been given specify that we will be rolling on the tables instead of selecting followers and the like, but what is the best nighthaunt hero to choose as the champion?

I'm stuck between:

Guardian of souls; +1 to wound is great, but if he doesn't get his spell off it seems like a waste

Knight of shrouds on steed; extra attacks will be really good as unit sizes will be small, especially if I am lucky enough to roll revenants.

Spirit torment; comes with 2 chainghasts instead of an extra follower to begin with, but his returning models would be more conistant than the GoS, and re-rolls of one  would be great.

So I stopped playing ghosts for a while. Hit the hobby wall (after doing pretty much only playing AoS and just bedsheets for nearly a year!!). So had a break around Christmas, as life and work stuff got in the way. I used the new year to start a new army and picked up FEC to complete my Death collection, then the new book came out and it was great. I played in a little 1k tournament and won but felt guilty at how gross FEC were and so refused to play them in friendly games, instead picking my ghosts back up again. Had some friendly games and it re-ignited the passion for the spooks. So what has been going on for ghosts in the last 3-4 months? Has anyone discovered any new gross stuff that I should be aware of?