AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

6 hours ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Allegiance Abilities (from WHLive)

-1 bravery to units within 6” of a Nighthaunt unit

6+ ignore wounds for a unit wholly within 12” of a hero

Half of your units can be in the underworld. Auto arrive, but must arrive by turn 4

10”+ unmodified charge - immediately attack (and can then attack again later)

New Command Ability for General. Remove a unit and set it up within 12” of general / more than 9” from enemy.

- Nice touch, with quite a strong potential.

- Would help our somewhat fragile heroes, and potentially be super annoying in the hands of a strong tactical player.

- That’s borderline OP

- I don’t quite understand the implications of this one. Can you specify?

- Borderline OP again

All in all, that would make the NH incredibly strong in close combat, and give them insane flexibility of engagement. I’m very curious to see where they end up in the meta, but my guess is they’ll be ranging from fairly to super competitive.

1 hour ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

- I don’t quite understand the implications of this one. Can you specify?

If you roll a 10+ withouth modifiers you get them to pile in and attack in the charge phase, so you can attack again in the combat phase.

For people wondering, 10+ withouth modifiers is 1/6. Nice ability but too random to depend on it, command rerolls gets it on the 3/10 territory.

The command skill seems very nice. The best thing i am seeing about nighthaunt is that all of them fly. You can screen any unit with chainrasps, and then charge/move/pile in above them. Also flying on small bases is very good with the new pile in rules, since it allows you to jump around even when you are in base to base.

And no FT army wide was completely expected.  And i am grateful, atleast we get some random fun and tactical tools. I wonder if we will be able to get more bravery debuffs through magic and/or artifacts (or command traits). Those debuffs get better and better now that inspiring presence isn't nearly as a strong as it was before because it is only a one time thing, rather than until your next hero phase.

Edited by Keldaur
  • Like 1

No frightful touch army wide is kind of annoying, it only ever occurred on a 6+  so was a nice little bonus to have against heavily armoured models.  Chainrasps and glaivewraith Stalkers and spirit hosts have no rend either, other than the cool new models I'm starting to think I should have held off preordering the starter set. Oh well there's always ebay I suppose.

Edited by El Syf

33 minutes ago, El Syf said:

No frightful touch army wide is kind of annoying, it only ever occurred on a 6+  so was a nice little bonus to have against heavily armoured models.  Chainrasps and glaivewraith Stalkers and spirit hosts have no rend either, other than the cool new models I'm starting to think I should have held off preordering the starter set. Oh well there's always ebay I suppose.

The 3 named characters have FT so we know its not an army rule.

We have not seen the battletome warscroll cards. There could be changes for every single unit in the starter. This happened before with the old starter, and has already happened with Sequitors from the new.

15 hours ago, Inferno said:

Sorry to say that's an old Warscroll that Google has kept a link to.  The current one (https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG Cairn Wraith.pdf) is linked from the 2018 model where they updated it to have a round base (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Nighthaunt-Cairn-Wraith-2018).

However, from the seem of things we're getting another one shortly!  My crystal ball is that he'll get the re-roll hits against units of 5+ like the Grimghast reapers and possibly some kind of passive buff.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Sorry to say that's an old Warscroll that Google has kept a link to.  The current one (https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG Cairn Wraith.pdf) is linked from the 2018 model where they updated it to have a round base (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Nighthaunt-Cairn-Wraith-2018).

However, from the seem of things we're getting another one shortly!  My crystal ball is that he'll get the re-roll hits against units of 5+ like the Grimghast reapers and possibly some kind of passive buff.

Command ability pls. I am starving for those.

• Like 1

Seing as the boxed set includes 5 stalkers and 4 reapers instead of the more sensible 4 stalkers and 5 reapers (looking at min unit size), I guess you would have to modify one of the stalkers into a reaper.
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to do this, preferably without using green stuff? Since the models are push fit I doubt we have many options and that rat face of the stalkers seem difficult to mod in any way..
The only thing that seems easy, although it won't look perfect, is to cut of the spear and turn it into a scythe by simply gluing it to the side instead of the top. 

What options are there to just mod it with paint? Making the reapers into a slightly different color.. would that suffice for a legal competitive list?

35 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Seing as the boxed set includes 5 stalkers and 4 reapers instead of the more sensible 4 stalkers and 5 reapers (looking at min unit size), I guess you would have to modify one of the stalkers into a reaper.
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to do this, preferably without using green stuff? Since the models are push fit I doubt we have many options and that rat face of the stalkers seem difficult to mod in any way..
The only thing that seems easy, although it won't look perfect, is to cut of the spear and turn it into a scythe by simply gluing it to the side instead of the top. 

What options are there to just mod it with paint? Making the reapers into a slightly different color.. would that suffice for a legal competitive list?

You could use this

pitched-battle-profiles.jpg

Pitched battle profiles are the points for matched play tomorrow we have to profiles for the units in the soul wars box 

The Pic shows the points from the soul wars box in addition there would be a different pricing and min/max unit size for some of the units in the general's handbook 2018/nighthaunt battletome 

Edited by Ahn-ket

13 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Pitched battle profiles are the points for matched play tomorrow we have to profiles for the units in the soul wars box 

The Pic shows the points from the soul wars box in addition there would be a different pricing and min/max unit size for some of the units in the general's handbook 2018/nighthaunt battletome 

I'm sorry.. I had some trouble following you there.
So when building a list for a tournament or just any game with a friend that involves objectives, do I use Pitched Battle profile? or do I use Generals handbook?

Cause someone posted that min size for reapers was 5 in generals handbook.. That could have been wrong though.

6 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

So when building a list for a tournament or just any game with a friend that involves objectives, do I use Pitched Battle profile? or do I use Generals handbook?

Cause someone posted that min size for reapers was 5 in generals handbook.. That could have been wrong though.

Normally you use the actual general's handbook in combination with your battletome if you play matched play but until you have right amount of models you could use the points I've posted 

Just now, Ahn-ket said:

Normally you use the actual general's handbook in combination with your battletome if you play matched play but until you have right amount of models you could use the points I've posted 

Okay, I've got you! But that would mean I only have 2-3 days to use the points you posted! Something already leaked about min unit size in general's handbook. But I guess I will jsut have to wait and see if that leak is correct or not. Still, if it is correct I would still like ideas on how to modify the stalkers into reapers!

11 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Generals Handbook points are also called Pitched Battle Profiles. It’s just the name they use for Matched Play Points, unit sizes and battlefield roles. The thing here is that the profiles in the Soul Wars box set are different from those in the GHB. For example Reapers are min 4 here but min 10 in the GHB.  If you can pick which one to use, then the box set unit sizes would actually be usable in Matched Play.