AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi guys,

Haven't played with Maggotkin at all yet but have invested in an army of them being the impulsive person I am. For now I only plan on playing casually with a few friends but may want to try out an event some time. I'll mostly be playing against Idoneth Deepkin, SCE and Skaven (Either Skyre or Moulder focused) Please take a look at my list below and let me know what you think. :) 

Leaders

Great Unclean One - General (340)
- Massive Bileblade + Plague Flail
- Pestilent Breath, The Endless Gift
- Sumptuous Pestilence (spell)
The Glottkin - (420)
- Blades of Putrefaction (spell)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Coying Quagmire (spell)

Battleline

Plaguebearers x30 - (320)
- 3x Icons and Pipers
Putrid Blightkings x5 - (160)
Putrid Blightkings x5 - (160)

Other

Pusgoyle Blightlords x2 (220)
Plague Ogors x3 (160)

Endless Spells

Gemnids of Uhl-Gysh - (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum - (40)

Total Points - 2000/2000
Total Wounds - 141

For me it's more a rule of cool list than anything, I know that plague drones are probably better than Blightlords at the moment and Plague Ogors could be replaced with another unit of Blightkings but I just like the models; I'll be using converted Gellerpox Nightmare Hulks from Kill Team: Rogue Trader as my Plague Ogors which I prefer to call Blight Hulks like heavily mutated blightkings going the way of Ghurk Glott.

Festus is there to babysit the Glottkin and apply his debuff. Gemnids and Pendulum to apply a good dosage of mortal wounds / debuffs. 

I also have available Horticulous, a Beast of Nurgle, 3x Plague Drones, Poxbringer, Bilepiper, 2 sets of 3 Nurglings and a Lord of Blights.

After trying Thricefold with some proxies and reading about the spellportal shenanigans in this thread, I've fallen in love and decided to finish my Thricefold List asap. But I'm paralyzed by choice for artefacts! There are a lot of good options with realm artefacts. What would you all take from below? Or does anyone have any cool suggestions I haven't considered?

• Witherstave - Enemies in 12" range of the bearer re-roll 6's to hit. Easily one of our best artefacts, maybe the best. Would probably protect all three GUOs from Melee attacks since they need to stick so close to get their battalion bonuses. Also protects against enemy abilities that activate on a hit roll of 6, of which there are a few. This is almost certainly going to be my first artefact.
  • Endless Gift - In the battleshock phase roll a dice for every wound suffered by a GUO this turn and on a 4+ heal that wound. I would put it on my Bell/Blade GUO to keep my best spellcaster and movement buffer alive and to mitigate the damage taken from the putrid offering ability which I will be spamming to make sure that plague wind and Spellportals are successful.
  • Aetherquartz Broach - Every time I spend a command point, roll a dice and on a 5+ I get that command point back. I'll be using the GUO command ability to buff the attacks of my two big units of plaguebearers and to ensure successful run and charge rolls since positioning is crucial to a thricefold list to maximize the effect of plague wind. There may also be a realm command ability worth using. Never hurts to have more command points.
  • Betrayer's Crown - Once per battle, pick an enemy unit within 3" and roll a dice for each model in the unit. on a 5+ deal 1 mortal wound. When I played against Gloomspite they immediately surrounded my GUOs with a horde of grots to keep them busy and away from the objectives. This could be a good way to assist in chewing through a horde quickly. Could also help with changing the number of bodies on a point in my favour. Against a horde of 1 wound models this will, on average, kill a third of the horde. Seems pretty fun.
  • Goblet of Draining - When the bearer deals a wound to an enemy hero roll a dice. on a 5+, deal 1d3 mortal wounds to the target. If this activates on a plague wind cast, I could do 4d3 mortals to an enemy hero with a single cast or it could activate on an arcane bolt/realm spell for some cheeky spell-sniping. Also just helps me to get rid of any heroes that get up in my GUO's grille in combat. However, it's not reliable and could fail to activate when I need it most.
  • Lens of Refraction - When a friendly unit within 6" takes damage from a spell, I can decrease that damage by d3. The enemy is probably going to be focusing my GUOs for damaging spells, this could help with that. Against magic heavy armies like Tzeentch, Nagash or Seraphon it could end up making a big difference. The GUOs will be close to each other anyway, so the circumstances for it to activate are very likely.

2 hours ago, Smashin' said:

For me it's more a rule of cool list than anything, I know that plague drones are probably better than Blightlords at the moment and Plague Ogors could be replaced with another unit of Blightkings but I just like the models; I'll be using converted Gellerpox Nightmare Hulks from Kill Team: Rogue Trader as my Plague Ogors which I prefer to call Blight Hulks like heavily mutated blightkings going the way of Ghurk Glott.

The Gellerpox models are lovely. I have the tentacle hulk in my Blood Bowl team as my Rotspawn. Good idea using them as Plague Ogors, I think they will look great next to the Glottkin!

Are you married to the weapon choices of your Great Unclean One? The movement buff from the bell and the casting buff from the dagger are both really excellent. I would almost always take them over the melee options personally.

28 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Or does anyone have any cool suggestions I haven't considered?

I run Witherstave on my Bileblade/Bell GUO (my caster focused one) and Thermal Rider Cloak on my Sword/Flail GUO (combat oriented). I think the Witherstave is a must, especially with FEC out there right now doing its thing. It really helps stymie thinks like Gristlegore MW fishing and also helps just increase the durability of your GUOs overall. I like the Thermal Rider Cloak because it provides some nice mobility and the option for movement tricks with your GUO. Being able to charge over enemy units with him is fantastic, it lets you exploit gaps your opponent leaves, pile in to support heroes, and just makes him harder to deal with. 

29 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

The Gellerpox models are lovely. I have the tentacle hulk in my Blood Bowl team as my Rotspawn. Good idea using them as Plague Ogors, I think they will look great next to the Glottkin!

Are you married to the weapon choices of your Great Unclean One? The movement buff from the bell and the casting buff from the dagger are both really excellent. I would almost always take them over the melee options personally.

Yeah I really look forward to using those :) I'm using all the flies and maggot things as base decor.

The model I'm using for my great unclean one is the Glutton Demon from Creature Caster and as such I think I can only get away with having the smashy loadout. I'm a big fan of how the mace looks on that model so don't want to convert it to something else. I could perhaps put a bell on the base with a nurgling ringing it but that wouldn't feel obvious enough so I'll just make do with a melee monster demon for now. I probably would get the plastic GW kit in future but I'd make Rotigus first so bileblade / bell would depend on if I ever go for a Thricefold list.

59 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

After trying Thricefold with some proxies and reading about the spellportal shenanigans in this thread, I've fallen in love and decided to finish my Thricefold List asap. But I'm paralyzed by choice for artefacts! There are a lot of good options with realm artefacts. What would you all take from below? Or does anyone have any cool suggestions I haven't considered?

• Witherstave - Enemies in 12" range of the bearer re-roll 6's to hit. Easily one of our best artefacts, maybe the best. Would probably protect all three GUOs from Melee attacks since they need to stick so close to get their battalion bonuses. Also protects against enemy abilities that activate on a hit roll of 6, of which there are a few. This is almost certainly going to be my first artefact.
  • Endless Gift - In the battleshock phase roll a dice for every wound suffered by a GUO this turn and on a 4+ heal that wound. I would put it on my Bell/Blade GUO to keep my best spellcaster and movement buffer alive and to mitigate the damage taken from the putrid offering ability which I will be spamming to make sure that plague wind and Spellportals are successful.
  • Aetherquartz Broach - Every time I spend a command point, roll a dice and on a 5+ I get that command point back. I'll be using the GUO command ability to buff the attacks of my two big units of plaguebearers and to ensure successful run and charge rolls since positioning is crucial to a thricefold list to maximize the effect of plague wind. There may also be a realm command ability worth using. Never hurts to have more command points.
  • Betrayer's Crown - Once per battle, pick an enemy unit within 3" and roll a dice for each model in the unit. on a 5+ deal 1 mortal wound. When I played against Gloomspite they immediately surrounded my GUOs with a horde of grots to keep them busy and away from the objectives. This could be a good way to assist in chewing through a horde quickly. Could also help with changing the number of bodies on a point in my favour. Against a horde of 1 wound models this will, on average, kill a third of the horde. Seems pretty fun.
  • Goblet of Draining - When the bearer deals a wound to an enemy hero roll a dice. on a 5+, deal 1d3 mortal wounds to the target. If this activates on a plague wind cast, I could do 4d3 mortals to an enemy hero with a single cast or it could activate on an arcane bolt/realm spell for some cheeky spell-sniping. Also just helps me to get rid of any heroes that get up in my GUO's grille in combat. However, it's not reliable and could fail to activate when I need it most.
  • Lens of Refraction - When a friendly unit within 6" takes damage from a spell, I can decrease that damage by d3. The enemy is probably going to be focusing my GUOs for damaging spells, this could help with that. Against magic heavy armies like Tzeentch, Nagash or Seraphon it could end up making a big difference. The GUOs will be close to each other anyway, so the circumstances for it to activate are very likely.

Lens were faqed only once per turn

The objectively best artefacts in the Nurgle book are witherstave, rustfang, endless gift ...with an SERIOUS honorable mention to the carrion dirge. I have used this one on a character near the glotkin in conjunction with his to hit debuff based on bravery to great success. Used to put it on a chaos Sorcerer lord, cast demonic power on glotkin to linear-alize his damage output, and put the (essentially) free mystic shield on the chaff in front of him (marauders).

Witherstave is an auto include. It should be the first artefact taken in any nurgle list. For a thricefold, cant go wrong with endless gift, or a ghyrestrike on the the fighty GUO to make his damage output a bit more reliable. 

Folks, we need an update.

I mean, Nurgle has almost nothing to compete with the big leagues.

I recall those heady days of Jan 2018 when Nurgle had all these fine tools and potential and each release after hammered the weaknesses home.

Luckily I've a SC army of around 5000 points to draw from so I've taken Stardrake and Prime lists to tournaments instead. But I want to play my sweet, pink Candyrot!

Given a full, new book is likely a while away  (we were one of the first 'new' tomes) what could come in GHB 2019 to assist our plight?

OR do you just disagree with me and think Nurgle is fine and the competitive potential therein is just untapped (Pure nurgling list)?

7 minutes ago, Turragor said:

OR do you just disagree with me and think Nurgle is fine and the competitive potential therein is just untapped

100% disagree - Thrice Fold Befoulment is a fine list that has the capacity to play well against a variety of armies. Would some points drops be nice? Sure. But is the army in some entirely non competitive place? Not at all. 

1 minute ago, SwampHeart said:

100% disagree - Thrice Fold Befoulment is a fine list that has the capacity to play well against a variety of armies. Would some points drops be nice? Sure. But is the army in some entirely non competitive place? Not at all. 

Is Thrice Fold "it"?

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Is Thrice Fold "it"?

Not vs magic heavy lists or better vs unbind heavy, + to unbinds like arkhan or nagash lists. 

Without your spells which are not easy to get through and not to plan on, the list is not bad but hardly competitive.  That's my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Without your spells which are not easy to get through and not to plan on, the list is not bad but hardly competitive.  That's my opinion. 

Spells are low casting value and you can cut for bonuses to cast and dispel to get the 7s through. Its one of the competitive arch types for Nurgle right now. Unless your opponent has +2 to unbind you're casting on equal or better terms against their unbind (number of unbinds is irrelevant). Thricefold also holds a lot of keys to countering some of the more popular lists in the meta right now (thanks to having a great vessel for keeping the witherstave around and access to the much sought after negatives to hit). I've looked at the Nurgle book consistently and I can't see an army I'd rather take than a TFB list (plus its fantastic in any behemoth, caster, or character scoring game). 

@Turragor

I placed 3rd in the last NOVA Open GT with a blight cyst list.  I beat an eel deepkin list, Nagash+grimghast reapers, Legions of Nagash with grimghasts and Vordrai.. some of the top lists at the time.  Nurgle is in a fine state now, as long as you use tactics and not just chase after a meta game. My list for the NOVA Open was: 

Glottkin, gutrot, harbinger of decay, lord of blights 20 maruaders, 10 blightkings, 5 blightkings, 5 blightkings, chaos warshrine and blight cyst warscroll battalion. 

Lately I have dropped the LoB and the Blight Cyst, added more blightkings and more marauders and extra command points. Just beat a FEC army the other night and plan on taking this list to several RTT's and atleast 2 GT's BEOFRE NOVA Open. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Turragor

I placed 3rd in the last NOVA Open GT with a blight cyst list.  I beat an eel deepkin list, Nagash+grimghast reapers, Legions of Nagash with grimghasts and Vordrai.. some of the top lists at the time.  Nurgle is in a fine state now, as long as you use tactics and not just chase after a meta game. My list for the NOVA Open was: 

Glottkin, gutrot, harbinger of decay, lord of blights 20 maruaders, 10 blightkings, 5 blightkings, 5 blightkings, chaos warshrine and blight cyst warscroll battalion. 

Lately I have dropped the LoB and the Blight Cyst, added more blightkings and more marauders and extra command points. Just beat a FEC army the other night and plan on taking this list to several RTT's and atleast 2 GT's BEOFRE NOVA Open. 

Very interesting, I hace 2 hours left to send my list for a tournament 1750 points:

Glottkin

LoBlights

Harbinger

5x5 putrids

Blight cyst battalions

But after reading you I could drop LoB and battalion and take 10 putrids more

Edited by peasant

8 hours ago, Turragor said:

Folks, we need an update.

I mean, Nurgle has almost nothing to compete with the big leagues.

I recall those heady days of Jan 2018 when Nurgle had all these fine tools and potential and each release after hammered the weaknesses home.

Luckily I've a SC army of around 5000 points to draw from so I've taken Stardrake and Prime lists to tournaments instead. But I want to play my sweet, pink Candyrot!

Given a full, new book is likely a while away  (we were one of the first 'new' tomes) what could come in GHB 2019 to assist our plight?

OR do you just disagree with me and think Nurgle is fine and the competitive potential therein is just untapped (Pure nurgling list)?

I'd love to see us get a damage buff to our flies (mortal and demon) just so we have more of a hammer.

Maybe a decrease in spell casting rolls.

Decrease in points for beasts (or a big buff) maybe they could projectile vomit and give us some more range?

Edited by Riavan

I think pusgoyle will see a buff. Alone because they want to sell the new SC box :D

I would love to see a buff or point drop to the maggotlords. They are so nice models! And of course a point decrease on plaguebearers because Ive got 70 painted 😅

Find below my 2k list which I want to try vs my nagash reapers friend :) Thricefold did me no good against him due to only 2 casts out of 20 in 3 games gone through and not once portal plus wind in 2 turn. In addition he manages always to snipe me at least one full Guo with hand of dust. Looks like a counter Armee vs Thricefold and that's why I'm trying this one. What do you think?

GUO with Bell, spellblade and grandfather's blessing + witherstave and poxes spell

Lord of blights

Festus with blade spell 

2x30 plaguebearers

2x3 (or 1x6) plaguedrones

5 blightkings

Cogs 

Shackles

=1900 points

Idea is to get cogs of out of 30 range and get with movement buff the plaguebearers on objectives and even more movement for drones. 

Cps to buff plaguebeaers with lob command to make them as defense be as possible and win objective game. 

Drones will wait backline and only engage if blade buff worked and try to kill some stuff to get at least minor win on killing points if scenario is not to win on objectives like get the one objective at the enemy Territorium which is not possible for me vs death. 

Festus Guo of course support defense as well as offense with cp on drones of required and blades are on them. 

What do u think? It's not 100 % planned through but I hope you get the idea of the list. Anything you would change? 

@Zplash

Honestly, I think cogs is kind of a waste. The drones have good movement. And will probably be able to run and charge. Are you going for an alpha strike? If you told me cogs was for an extra spell cast on the GUO and to make him more tanky.. then you could have sold it to me. But with a 4+d6+3 movement you will be well in range of objectives to capture them on the first turn without giving your opponent extra movement.

although a viable use for cogs and speed up time is casting them, then dropping in gutrot and ten blightkings for a sweet 6” charge 

Shame you can’t squeeze in a Nurgle demon hero for the locus on the drones. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Hi all,

Long time lurker here with my first post! A couple of rules questions as well as more general musings.

First up, presumably the Lord Of Afflictions benefits from his own reroll 1 to hit buff, but does that include all the drone's attacks too or just the Festerspike?

Secondly has anyone seen the new warscroll for Magmadroths? It says that any wound allocated to it "afflicted by a melee weapon" reflects a mortal wound back on 4+. Do you think this also includes any mortal wounds caused by Blades of Putrefaction or could they be exempt?

Lastly, has anyone been keeping up on rumours regarding a possible new Slaves to Darkness Battletome? Or rather what do you think we could see and can we hold out any hope for more punch for our Nurgle army via updated Warriors or Knights etc? I am also slightly worried they might do away with the mark of the gods, and replace that with their new fad of hosts, lodges, enclaves within an StoD allegiance (ie allegiance Slaves, Host: Nurgle), thus removing Warriors et al from our Battleline.

32 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Hi all,

Long time lurker here with my first post! A couple of rules questions as well as more general musings.

First up, presumably the Lord Of Afflictions benefits from his own reroll 1 to hit buff, but does that include all the drone's attacks too or just the Festerspike?

Secondly has anyone seen the new warscroll for Magmadroths? It says that any wound allocated to it "afflicted by a melee weapon" reflects a mortal wound back on 4+. Do you think this also includes any mortal wounds caused by Blades of Putrefaction or could they be exempt?

Lastly, has anyone been keeping up on rumours regarding a possible new Slaves to Darkness Battletome? Or rather what do you think we could see and can we hold out any hope for more punch for our Nurgle army via updated Warriors or Knights etc? I am also slightly worried they might do away with the mark of the gods, and replace that with their new fad of hosts, lodges, enclaves within an StoD allegiance (ie allegiance Slaves, Host: Nurgle), thus removing Warriors et al from our Battleline.

Plague vector affects the LoA, as a unit is always in range of AoE abilities they project. Drones attacks would also be included. This (abilities affecting mounts) only comes into play for command traits.

Blades of putrefaction mortal wounds would trigger volcanic blood, as a melee weapon  was used to wound the Magmadroth.  The spell itself is not doing damage.

No furthur information on mortal chaos battletome has been released. I dont suspect the marks would go away. If so.. entire sections of Nurgle battletome would be irrelevant because of the options for mortals whom arent rotbringers. 

9 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Plague vector affects the LoA, as a unit is always in range of AoE abilities they project. Drones attacks would also be included. This (abilities affecting mounts) only comes into play for command traits.

Blades of putrefaction mortal wounds would trigger volcanic blood, as a melee weapon  was used to wound the Magmadroth.  The spell itself is not doing damage.

No furthur information on mortal chaos battletome has been released. I dont suspect the marks would go away. If so.. entire sections of Nurgle battletome would be irrelevant because of the options for mortals whom arent rotbringers. 

Are you sure about BoP triggering Volcanic blood, the warscroll specifies "each time a wound is allocated...". As BoP inflicts mortal wounds this is usually specificly mentioned, as such is should have been "each time a wound or mortal wound is allocated..." for BoP to trigger the ability - the wound itself would trigger the effect but not both.