AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

This is absolutely the case. This includes foul regenesis, mystic shield and arcane bolt as well. 

Isn't Foul Regensis Lore of Nurgle, its on the page and right under the title?

Side Note: Why would anyone ever take this item?

1 minute ago, Forrix said:

Isn't Foul Regensis Lore of Nurgle, its on the page and right under the title?

Side Note: Why would anyone ever take this item?

I have no clue. If you have an extra artefact to waste might as well go for the Tamurkhans sub faction and get +1 to run rolls, and -1 to move and charge rolls for enemy table wide LOL. I dont have my battletome in front of me..I thought foul regen was technically above the heading of Lore of nurgle. Its not like its a big deal!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have no clue. If you have an extra artefact to waste might as well go for the Tamurkhans sub faction and get +1 to run rolls, and -1 to move and charge rolls for enemy table wide LOL. I dont have my battletome in front of me..I thought foul regen was technically above the heading of Lore of nurgle. Its not like its a big deal!

Hmm. Weird that after all this time I never noticed that....

5 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

So i see some life in this Maggotkin thread again! Nice! Couple of posts back I posted my idea of a fun army, which I will use in an upcoming tournament. At forehand this is NOT a commonly accepted OPTIMIZED army, I just think it is an army with potential if things work out well. I am nearly finished painting all the stuff. My idea was to bring an elite blightking heavy army. Since Glott is bests used for higher model count armies (and considering my consistently bad dice rolls his spells rarely go off for me), I wanted another hero. SO here goes...against common sense I painted Orgoth Daemonspew! Why? Because I think his command ability is great re-rolling wound rolls is good (for me re-rolls are good) and he has a nice save (3+). I also want re-rol to hit so I took lord of plagues, since i need even more re-rolls i took the Plague cyst battallion (xtra command point + extra artifact). To completely fill my warscroll battalion, to get less drops, i added Harbinger which also has a nice 5+ ward save thingy. Because i want my Blightkings to hit a lott (re-roll all) and to wound (re-roll 1) I also want my opponent de-buffed a little with his save so i added rustfang (-1 save) and festus (-1 save spell). To quickly gather contagion points and for backstabbing i have Gutrot...

I feel i can have fun with this list (I totally suck with thricefold...been there don that,  not my cup of tea, even a GUO with +2 cast doesnt get stuff going with my snake eye drops....)

So my lists is as follows:

(Plaguecyst)

Orgoth

Lord of plagues (rustfang)

Harbinger (witherstave)

Festus (blades of putrefaction)

Gutrot

10 PBK

5 PBK

5 PBK

5PBK

You still have 160 left in that list. AND Instead of oghotts, you could take a chaos warshrine. If you mark it nurgle it will dish out RR all wounds to a unit, and gives ANOTHER 6++ save. Also is 100 points cheaper! Has same number of wounds, but 4+ save rather then 3+. Decent combat profile to! so you would actually have 260 points to spend! Maybe drop festus and grab a GUO at that point. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You still have 160 left in that list. AND Instead of oghotts, you could take a chaos warshrine. If you mark it nurgle it will dish out RR all wounds to a unit, and gives ANOTHER 6++ save. Also is 100 points cheaper! Has same number of wounds, but 4+ save rather then 3+. Decent combat profile to! so you would actually have 260 points to spend! Maybe drop festus and grab a GUO at that point. 

Oh yeah, thx i have yet another unit of PBK. I have considered a lot of things, but never looked at the warshrine...good to know, I will defenitaly consider that for another tournament/battle.  I already send the army list to the organisers of the tournament, so i m stuck at what i wrote down here. I shall write my experiences down with this army...(tournament is in 2 weeks) Wish me luck!

• Like 1

This weekend I want to try this list (heavy proxied), not killy but I Hope It could gather a lot of points! Spare 60 points could go for emerald lifeswarm?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (100)
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
20 x Plaguebearers (240)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

• Like 1

I would never take lesser demons in units of 20. They aren't as good as units of 30 in terms of defense as they lose their 2nd tier of debuff by losing one model, and they aren't as good as filling required battleline anymore then a unit of 10. So they are worse at both jobs a unit of 30 or a unit of 10 at either of their respective roles. 

I dont like the tallyband AT ALL. You are spending 220 points for one cp (which you can just buy), an artefact, and some miniscule healing. If your going for a summoning list I kind of understand it, but you need horticulous to stack with it (free tree), and you need to have 7 units for the extra contagion point per turn. At the very minimum, I would drop the scivener because he is the warscroll embodiment of *LOLwtf* and get a poxbringer with favoured poxes with the witherstave. Favoured poxes is going to give you so much more utility then RR 1s to hit and RR charges on a defensive unit. 

@peasant

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peasant said:

This weekend I want to try this list (heavy proxied), not killy but I Hope It could gather a lot of points! Spare 60 points could go for emerald lifeswarm?

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (100)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
20 x Plaguebearers (240)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 131

I'd drop the Tallyband battalion, one of the units of 30 Plaguebearers and the unit of 20 Plaguebearers. For the Spoilpox Scrivener I'd do as sal4 recommends. Plaguebearers are a little overcosted in general due to having negatives to shoot and normally not getting shot at it. Most armies don't have shooting and if they do they'll be shooting at your characters. That said, the meta does seem to  be shifting towards shooting so you might want to keep the 2nd unit of 30 Plaguebearers if you expect to face a lot of it.

Then I'd just take as many Blightkings as you have points for. They are definitely our current power unit with a very good wound to points cost and great, if inconsistent, damage output thanks to exploding sixes. Just be careful of -1hit stuff, I normally take them in units of 5 unless I'm bringing a Harbinger to reduce the effectiveness of debuff spells.

2 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I'd drop the Tallyband battalion, one of the units of 30 Plaguebearers and the unit of 20 Plaguebearers. For the Spoilpox Scrivener I'd do as sal4 recommends. Plaguebearers are a little overcosted in general due to having negatives to shoot and normally not getting shot at it. Most armies don't have shooting and if they do they'll be shooting at your characters. That said, the meta does seem to  be shifting towards shooting so you might want to keep the 2nd unit of 30 Plaguebearers if you expect to face a lot of it.

Then I'd just take as many Blightkings as you have points for. They are definitely our current power unit with a very good wound to points cost and great, if inconsistent, damage output thanks to exploding sixes. Just be careful of -1hit stuff, I normally take them in units of 5 unless I'm bringing a Harbinger to reduce the effectiveness of debuff spells.

I generally dont like re-working someones list into something completely different when they come for advice. I try to work within the basic framework they have, although you give sound advice. More blightkings is never NOT a good idea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Spare 60 points could go for emerald lifeswarm?

I don't personally rate the emerald lifeswarm very highly.  If you roll poorly on the dice, it's effect is negligible. If you roll really well, it can be beneficial, but also relies on the positioning being perfect every time you get to use it, the enemy targeting units in such a way as to allow you to make best use of it, not fluffing your summoning roll at a crucial moment, etc etc. Plus it's a predatory spell so your enemy can potentially take control of it for several turns and then you've just spent 60 points of your own army points healing the enemy...

Actually in general I don't like any of the predatory spells. I think they would be wonderful additions as realmscape features, but having to spend points to potentially hand the reigns of a powerful weapon over to the enemy is irritating.

I actually think the Tallyband can be incredible, especially if you make your PB’s even more resilient by setting up lord of blights behind the two 30 PB units. You would get a completely different list...but then your PB’s will hang around even longer.

GUO, poxbringer, 2 LoB, 2*30 PB 1*10 PB, 3 drones  and the tallyband. 

Anyway if you swap scribener for poxbringer, which is a very good idea! You still have 40 points left and could take a prismatic pallisade..

edit: just realised you only heal 1 wound....I thought it was d3, bit thats only for the PB’s.

Edited by Fluxlord
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Hey y’all 

I’m thinking of getting amongst Grandfather’s Blessing. What does everything think of the Blightcyst with 30-35 Blightkings? How well does that do?

W/ LoB, HoD, Chaos Lord + Sorcerer Lord

? Happy for some input 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18230-aos-2-maggotkin-of-nurgle-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=313280

If you check out @sal4m4nd3r list it will give you a good basis to go off :)

Edited by ReAnimate Studios

@sal4m4nd3r do you think it would be worth running the GuO and glottkin in the same list?

This is what I was thinking of running;

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Wounds: 146

I'm thinking of running this on Sunday (friendly game to try out) 

I'm also considering dropping gutrot to take an additional unit of 5 blight kings as there are many models on the board as is.

6 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Hey y’all 

I’m thinking of getting amongst Grandfather’s Blessing. What does everything think of the Blightcyst with 30-35 Blightkings? How well does that do?

W/ LoB, HoD, Chaos Lord + Sorcerer Lord

? Happy for some input 

There was a blightkings heavy list at cancon that finished 8th of 200 participants. It had epidemus, LoB, festus and i thought 35 blightkings. (Dont remember the lists exactly, but it was something like this) so the battallion gives -1 rend, the LoB had rustfang and festus’ spell. So that would give an oopnent effectively -3 on a save! So when he first casualties at you opponent size fall slowly epidemus his tally is gettin into play too. 

(Btw the other “high” ending nurgle lists (23 and 24) where thricefold) Poor nurgle needs more love, hopefully we see some point decreases in the new generals handboook.

When taking Thricefold Befoulment, what load out do people generally take on their third GUO? The first two being GUO w/ Bell and dagger and Rotigus seems like a no-brainer and what I intend to do. But for the third is it worth taking the melee profile GUO with the Big Bileblade and the flail, or do you think it's best just to  double up on the bell and the dagger? I've never been wowed by the damage output of a melee GUO, but because of the way that battalion's bonuses work your GUOs are probably going to be pretty close together so I'm not sure you'll get your full value from a second bell and if there's a spell you really need to cast or a unbind, you'll already have a dagger around. Plus it will look nicer to have three very clearly distinct GUOs on the table.

I think I've talked myself into using the melee weapons in the process of writing this post...

36 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

When taking Thricefold Befoulment, what load out do people generally take on their third GUO? The first two being GUO w/ Bell and dagger and Rotigus seems like a no-brainer and what I intend to do. But for the third is it worth taking the melee profile GUO with the Big Bileblade and the flail, or do you think it's best just to  double up on the bell and the dagger? I've never been wowed by the damage output of a melee GUO, but because of the way that battalion's bonuses work your GUOs are probably going to be pretty close together so I'm not sure you'll get your full value from a second bell and if there's a spell you really need to cast or a unbind, you'll already have a dagger around. Plus it will look nicer to have three very clearly distinct GUOs on the table.

I think I've talked myself into using the melee weapons in the process of writing this post...

I've been running a thricefold lately and use a Massive Bileblade and the flail. I would say realm artifacts are vitally important for him. He'll do pretty good damage with the battalion rerolls as long as you can buff up the hit on the sword. I've been using gyrstrike on it but I'm planning on trying a new Ulgu build with folded shadows (+1 hit) and the hulking physique command trait (+1 wound) for a similar effect. Note: in my meta we can also choose spells from our home realm instead of ones from our allegiance if you want so I'm trying out the extra 5+ save after the save spell on him for extra tankiness.

Been really busting my brains over lists with the glottkin in them. I feel with the lack of movement bonuses that a GUO with bell provide the need for a battalion is lessened. As going first is less of a priority.

So my list I'm going to play test for a few games is;

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Virulent Contagion 
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 162

So this list is pretty basic, and is designed aroumd reacting to my opponent instead of my more proactive GUO with bell list.

Idea is that I use the Glottkin to boost the drones attacks and combine with the faster harbinger  for lots of hits or keep the harbinger back and use him to buff the bulk of the army and save command points for later turns. Meanwhile the poxbringer can get in position to support the drones turn 2.

Even the plague bearers can be rushed forward with the glotts support and tie up the enemy. 

Hopefully quite a versatile list. Will be testing it this weekend and will hopefully have a bit of fun :)

48 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Been really busting my brains over lists with the glottkin in them. I feel with the lack of movement bonuses that a GUO with bell provide the need for a battalion is lessened. As going first is less of a priority.

So my list I'm going to play test for a few games is;

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Virulent Contagion 
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 162

So this list is pretty basic, and is designed aroumd reacting to my opponent instead of my more proactive GUO with bell list.

Idea is that I use the Glottkin to boost the drones attacks and combine with the faster harbinger  for lots of hits or keep the harbinger back and use him to buff the bulk of the army and save command points for later turns. Meanwhile the poxbringer can get in position to support the drones turn 2.

Even the plague bearers can be rushed forward with the glotts support and tie up the enemy. 

Hopefully quite a versatile list. Will be testing it this weekend and will hopefully have a bit of fun :)

I believe this is a solid list, but gonna take some practice, if you want take full use of all the synergies. Do you have some daemon for the save re-roll and the plaguebearers? Or do you plan on keep either the poxbringer or harbinger in their vicinity, by chqnging their roles as you describe? The switching of poxbringer/harbinger to follow your drones looks difficult when your in full swing of battle.

Since your already planning savin up command points (harbinger?),  maybe ditch harbinger and a unit of blightkings for a lord of afflictions! And let him run around with drones

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

I believe this is a solid list, but gonna take some practice, if you want take full use of all the synergies. Do you have some daemon for the save re-roll and the plaguebearers? Or do you plan on keep either the poxbringer or harbinger in their vicinity, by chqnging their roles as you describe? The switching of poxbringer/harbinger to follow your drones looks difficult when your in full swing of battle.

Since your already planning savin up command points (harbinger?),  maybe ditch harbinger and a unit of blightkings for a lord of afflictions! And let him run around with drones

Or Horty. He's awesome.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:28 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

I would never take lesser demons in units of 20. They aren't as good as units of 30 in terms of defense as they lose their 2nd tier of debuff by losing one model, and they aren't as good as filling required battleline anymore then a unit of 10. So they are worse at both jobs a unit of 30 or a unit of 10 at either of their respective roles. 

I dont like the tallyband AT ALL. You are spending 220 points for one cp (which you can just buy), an artefact, and some miniscule healing. If your going for a summoning list I kind of understand it, but you need horticulous to stack with it (free tree), and you need to have 7 units for the extra contagion point per turn. At the very minimum, I would drop the scivener because he is the warscroll embodiment of *LOLwtf* and get a poxbringer with favoured poxes with the witherstave. Favoured poxes is going to give you so much more utility then RR 1s to hit and RR charges on a defensive unit. 

@peasant

Spot on

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 1:13 PM, ReAnimate Studios said:

Can you elaborate? I've always thought he looks very underwhelming

Well, he brings free foliage, has a decent save, good attack profile, and, with proper positioning he can kick off the locus for the drones [thanks in part to the large base]